Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build a Trait in TS4-CAS? - "Hardly any news yet..."

First of all I´d like to thank all of you that supported and/or contributed feedback to this rather wild idea “Build A Trait in TS4-CAS” – or maybe just wanted better personalities for TS4-sims in general!

I´m also sending many thanks to the TS4-dev team for bringing attention back to what really matters in a game like TS4 – The sims themselves!! I can´t really explain how happy this particular statement made me when TS4 finally got annonced on the 6th of may:

“The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience.”

I really couldn´t have said it better myself… :D
So... TS4 is getting closer - It will become reality in one or two years probably. And I´m fine with that - As long as it´s mainly going to be about the sims themselves this time. (posted in “Build a Trait” 09/14/12)

With that said, there´s still no telling what the final result will be – But it now stands quite clear that our opinions do matter after all!
Personality is such a vast, important area that hardly has been acknowledged yet at all... And now with TS4 around the corner there´s really no excuse left for not looking deeper into the sim-mind... (posted in “Build a Trait” 10/01/12)
I think we just need to keep an open mind about what a sim-mind can become within a near future... (posted in “Build a Trait” 01/17/13)

:DI´d also like to clarify that I´m well aware of the high complexity of a personality–system like “Build a Trait” - and in the same sentence remind everyone that I´d be more than pleased with any 1.0 version of it – or just as happy with any other system that ultimately would help us connect better with our sims and have a richer game experience than ever before!
So hopefully the "Customize everything"-concept does include sim-personalities on a whole new level in TS4 - because it could benefit the game in so many interesting new ways. (posted in “Build a Trait” 02/04/13)
I would still be happy with any "1.0 version of Build a Trait" for TS4, since I strongly believe it´s a huge step in the right direction for endless sim-fun of the future... (posted in “Build a Trait” 02/13/13)

Well, only future will tell, right…? :D

Speaking of the future… “They say that the eyes are the window into the soul, let’s just say that these eyes are a window into our future.”

What does this^ mean - Any wild guesses while we await more TS4-info…? :D

Also feel free to keep sharing your opinion on TS4 sim-personalities/interactions and AI!

The Original First Page post:

Since there´s not much to talk about in TS3-CAS when it comes to creating something even close to a unique sim-personality, I thought - How about some awesome new CAS-tools for TS4?

Simply name the Trait you wish to create and then put it together - by choosing between a wide range of Unique Qualities, Talants/Flaws and Peculiarities that will blend into an awesome one-of-a-kind Trait!

We´ll just drag and drop a mixture of Unique Qualities, Talants/Flaws and Peculiarities into that specific Trait in TS4-CAS and later in-game maybe even linking one or several skills to it. Also upgrading it constantly during gameplay with (more or less...) suitable rewards from completing goals, wishes and other in-game features.

Only our imagination sets the limits here – Everything from “Winter-sports Fanatic” to “Daydreamer” to just plain “Unbelievable” is now possible for a sim to become!
:D

Z5yqGx5.png

Comments

• Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2012
    Very interesting and unique trait idea, possibly the most unique one I've read! :D
  • Options
    SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2013
    Valandis wrote:
    Very interesting and unique trait idea, possibly the most unique one I've read!

Thanks! :D It makes me so glad that more people see what a Trait-system similar to this one could actually do for the whole game-experience of TS4 - If implemented thoughtfully and carefully enough it could have a huge impact and I really don´t think any sim-player would miss the old trait-system much, am I right...?

Post edited by Unknown User on
    Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    Seer144Seer144 Posts: 816 Member
    edited July 2012

Since there´s not much to talk about in TS3-CAS when it comes to creating something even close to a unique sim-personality, I thought - How about some awesome new CAS-tools for TS4?

Simply name the Trait you wish to create and then put it together - by choosing between a wide range of Unique Qualities, Talants/Flaws and Peculiarities that will blend into an awesome one-of-a-kind Trait!

We´ll just drag and drop a mixture of Unique Qualities, Talants/Flaws and Peculiarities into that specific Trait in TS4-CAS and later in-game maybe even linking one or several skills to it. Also upgrading it constantly during gameplay with (more or less...) suitable rewards from completing goals, wishes and other in-game features.

Only our imagination sets the limits here – Everything from “Winter-sports Fanatic” to “Daydreamer” to just plain “Unbelievable” is now possible for a sim to become!
    :D

I like how I haven't seen this new idea fifty bagillion times. I'd love to see this in the Sims 4. The trait possibilities would be really.....well, darn near endless!
  • Options
    IMeepIMeep Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited July 2012
    Love it! :D

And I think we should be able to share them to the exchange.
  • Options
    rsedorothyrsedorothy Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited July 2012
    I love your idea.
    Traits in TS3 are too set and inapropriate why should a shy sim get a bad moodlet from her new infant because they're a stranger :!: :?:
  • Options
    DawdeeDawdee Posts: 1,663 Member
    edited July 2012
    Agreed, this is an amazing idea! From big things like "Greedy", to little things like "Right/left handed", it would make for unique and one of a kind sims. I like it! :)
  • Options
    Fiear8Fiear8 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I think one of the main flaws of Sims 3 was they didnt port over all the things Sims 2 left behind. Sims 3 should have started with all the expansions 2 had and then it could have moved on to new things instead of releasing the same versions over again. The Sims 4 should make up for this by starting with everything we have in 3 and creating our own trait should def be a possiblity
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanks! :D It makes me so glad that more people see what a Trait-system similar to this one could actually do for the whole game-experience of TS4 - If implemented thoughtfully and carefully enough it could have a huge impact and I really don´t think any sim-player would miss the old trait-system much, am I right...?

Yes you're very right! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Belliflowers3Belliflowers3 Posts: 560 Member
    edited July 2012
    This is the most unique ideal I seen.

clapping3jp.gif

I'd love to see that in the sims 4! <3
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited July 2012
    This is an interesting idea; I wonder if there would be a limit of how many things you can add to each trait, and what the limit would be. Otherwise you could create one gigantic "super-trait".
  • Options
    atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited July 2012
    I really like this!
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited July 2012
    That's thinking outside of the box for you

I love it wasn't sure how'd it work when I read the title but you've truly given it some thought
  • Options
    Taffster74Taffster74 Posts: 530 Member
    edited July 2012
    What I'd like to see trait-wise are the following, outgoing, reserved, exhibitionist, inhibited, lacking inhibition, meloncholic, extroverted, introverted. The sims3 trait system covers aspects but not everything. I think we could also throw in paranoid, bold, humble, braggart, simple, complex, shallow, deep as traits also.
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited July 2012
    Its an interesting idea but im not sure about feasible.

I think it would be more feasible to have a layering of wants,fears,Traits,flaws and Horoscope .Maybe even bring back the Turn ons/Offs
  • Options
    edited July 2012

:DWow - Thank you so much for the great respons everyone!

I´m very thrilled that so many of you really seem to like the idea of creating Unique Traits for our sims in TS4. Personally I don´t know how we´ve ever managed to do without a much more entertaining and dynamic Trait-System for all these years... But maybe that´s just me...?

What I do know for sure though, is that so many sim-players are still constantly looking for that extra something in the game - And all they ever find are more stuff, haircuts and outfits... But that alone really doesn´t define life very well at all, does it? :lol:

And that´s basically why TS4 needs to bring awesome new features like "Build a Trait" in TS4-CAS - because the perfect nose-job never added that much game-play in the end, did it...? :D

Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited July 2012
    Awesome!! and we should be able to save them as we go. for future uses.
  • Options
    swag6883swag6883 Posts: 377
    edited July 2012
    What a novel idea! I hope they do it!
  • Options
    nicki24nicki24 Posts: 217 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Maybe even bring back the Turn ons/Offs

Please bring them back!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

bosslaydee wrote:
    Awesome!! and we should be able to save them as we go. for future uses.

:) Yes, that sounds perfect! Great idea!

swag6883 wrote:
    What a novel idea! I hope they do it!

:) I also really hope for a new Trait System like this one in TS4!

It would add a whole new dimension to TS4 - finally being able to finetune a sim-personality down to the last, tiny detail.

Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    One of the issues i see with the create a trait idea as cool as it may be is people will just make super traits . So instead of having to have Athletic, Disciplined and Brave in TS3 you would just combine them all into a super trait in TS4
  • Options
    Taffster74Taffster74 Posts: 530 Member
    edited July 2012
    One of the issues i see with the create a trait idea as cool as it may be is people will just make super traits . So instead of having to have Athletic, Disciplined and Brave in TS3 you would just combine them all into a super trait in TS4

Not necessarily. there a plenty of people who are naturally athletic who aren't disciplined (or brave) - and they are professional athletes. Just take NBA player Andrew Bynum - athletically gifted, just lacks discipline. You also had former NBA players Robert "Tractor" Traylor and Vin Baker who lacked dietry discipline.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    thats not the point . the point is instead of having to use 3 separate trait slots your only using 1 to get the same effect . Then rinse and repeat for the rest of your trait slots .
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Coffefreak4Life wrote:

:)Interesting observation, but fairly easy to go around with a thoroughly thought through new Trait-system of this kind I think. Like limited numbers of skills you may link in-game per trait for example.

(In TS3 an atletic sim is basically master of all sports today - this would not be the case with this new Trait System. It would probably force each sim to choose just how to specialize/progress a bit more during game-play, but in return it would unlock hundreds of "unique" wishes, rewards - and above all hopefully also an endless stream of different kinds of interactions - that would lead to much more entertaining game-play than today.

There´s so much to gain from a Trait-system like this!
    But... I might just need to clarify right away that the main goal here is not to add new ways to "win" TS4... It´s not about collecting celeb-stars or level-up really easy or fast... Think more: "One sim - One unique game-experience".

Before I answer this any futher I´d also like to pose a question in return - How many simmers that love building, simply just line up four walls, put a door inside - and then voilà! Done! But oh wait, right... - a bathtub, a stove, a fridge, a zink and a sofa... May seem efficient enough and would sure do the trick to keep your sims alive - But not that fun in the long run, right...? :D Most people want to build different, customized rooms for their sims to enjoy - And I bet many simmers would love that very same option to create more or less realistic Traits (and not just one super-trait... :lol: ) for just the exact same reason. It´s fun! And more variated game-play as bonuses is always welcome too, right?

Many spends hours, and hours building just the right house for their sims... Why? Because it´s creative! Other spends the same amount of time creating the perfect look, and outfit. I´d like very much the option to build interesting personalities for my sims, but I´m still lacking sufficient tools in TS3-CAS to do so unfortunately...

How long do I have to wait...?

Z5yqGx5.png
  • Options
    MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited July 2012
    Fantastic and original idea supersimsangsung; got any more improvement ideas? You never know when gurus or design teams are lurking! :D

Blessings,
    MissCee

Edit: Query anyone - what are turn off/turn ons? I only discovered sims with the Life Stores Castaways. Thanks!

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    @supersimsangsung

9 out of 10 times i already know what im gonna make asim even before they are born so under this system i would just make a super trait for every job/profession or work at home career . Then the rest would just be to round it out .