Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WIP Laurel Beach -A Resort Island- Back on track! (Update 12/24/2012 See OP)

Overview

So normally I just build lots, but lately I've felt like my building needs a purpose. I decided to build my first world and make lots to fill that world. There is a lot of work left to be done on this world so it will take many more months. I have been working on this the past few weeks. Laurel Beach will have a beach resort town feel to it. As always any tips and comments are appreciated!

I am going to wait until the world is finished to come up with a full backstory. I want to see what it becomes :D

Updates

Update 12/24/12
I know it's been a while since I've posted an update, but things got busy with college. Don't worry I didn't give up on Laurel Beach :lol: . The semester is over now so I happen to have a little more time on my hands. I have a winter class though so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do with this world.

Anyway I finished up the supernatural section of the world and I completed the terrain sculpting and painting and placed the roads in the next part of the world.

The part of the world I am now working on will be an area with expensive and modern homes. Even the smaller homes will be pricey. As far as community lots go, this part of the world will contain the studio lot, the exclusive lounge, and another private venue.

And here are the pics! :mrgreen:

Supernatural part:
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Modern part:
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Update 9/30/12
For the past couple of weeks I have been working on the supernatural area of my world and I have completed all the community lots as well as 4 homes. I only have 6 more homes to build and that's it for the lots! The homes will be a mix of Victorian and cabin style homes.

The reason there are so many trees is because I wanted this part of the world to have an overgrown and neglected feel to it.

Also, as far as community lots go this part of the world contains the fairy arboretum, elixir consignment store, a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 lot, a vampire lounge, a dive bar, the criminal lot, junkyard, graveyard, broom arena, a second live show venue, a supernatural hangout, and the vampire lounge :-)

I have also tweaked the terrain painting on the mountains a bit and have put some trees on them as I felt it was too barren. I'm still not done with this though.

Here are the pictures (I know its a lot):

screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Update 9/17/12
I started on what will be the supernatural area of my world. I got the sculpting and painting done. I may take some of the Banyan trees out though and replace them with something else.

I would have built more lots at this point, but this part of the world has been plagued by micro lot tears and not matter what I do they don't go away :evil:. They're very hard to see but they drive me nuts. At this point I'm just going to camouflage them because my attempts to fix just screw up more lots. Any here are the pictures:

Huge Update 9/11/12
I have made quite a bit of progress on this world over the last 3 weeks so this is a huge update. I am also organizing this thread a little better. Anyway here is what I have done:

- I repainted the mountains to make them look more realistic. I also smoothed them out in some places (I need to do it a little more though)

- I ended up getting rid of the brown texture under the trees. I felt like it was too much and plus my world was plagued with red chunk boundaries. My world is now red chunk boundary free! :D

- I finished just about ALL the lots in the first section of the world. That means that part is pretty much done. You can see pictures of the lots in the lot section below. I have 4 empty community lots that I may fill at a later point. This part will also have 11 empty residential lots (one is 64x64).

- I added some wave effects to the shoreline.

Update 8/21/12
So this isn't a huge update but I deleted my whole tree layer and redid the trees. To make it look more realistic I added a sparse grass terrain paint under the trees. I also have added 5 lots.

Screenshots
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg
screenshot_original.jpg

Lots

I've put a lot of work into the lots in this world so I will be showcasing them here. Most lots are uploaded, and if they are then the name of the lot is a link to the download page so you can view more pictures and download if interested. Some aren't uploaded out of laziness or because I can't see them fitting in other worlds. I'll try to get the showtime venues uploaded soon.

Residential

Coastal Dreams

screenshot_original.jpg

Lagoon Living

screenshot_original.jpg

Loft in Paradise

screenshot_original.jpg

Beach Belle

screenshot_original.jpg

Cute as a Button

screenshot_original.jpg

Cream Cottage

screenshot_original.jpg

Cozy Kiwi

screenshot_original.jpg

I cannot remember the name of this one....

screenshot_original.jpg

Sunshine Starter

screenshot_original.jpg

Key West Cottage

screenshot_original.jpg

The Robin's Egg

screenshot_original.jpg

The Lily Pad

screenshot_original.jpg

The Bachelor's Button

screenshot_original.jpg

Windy Shore

screenshot_original.jpg

Flowing Floridian

screenshot_original.jpg

Key Lime Pie

screenshot_original.jpg

The Lucky Clover

screenshot_original.jpg

Testudo Manor

screenshot_original.jpg

Community

Sunset Beach

screenshot_original.jpg

Sunny Bungalow Park and Arcade

screenshot_original.jpg

Thrifty Sim Consignment Store

screenshot_original.jpg

The Blue Pearl (Poolside Club)

screenshot_original.jpg

The Blue Moon (Private Venue)

screenshot_original.jpg

Laurel Beach Fire Department

screenshot_original.jpg

Laurel Beach Concert Pavillion

screenshot_original.jpg

Lucky's (Local Watering Hole)

screenshot_original.jpg

Flying V's Coffee House

screenshot_original.jpg

Laurel Beach Institute of Art

screenshot_original.jpg

The Book Nook

screenshot_original.jpg

Sweetheart Shore

screenshot_original.jpg

Go-Go-Rodeo

screenshot_original.jpg

Crystal Clear Pool

screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• bogglemanboggleman Posts: 668 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi :)
    i LOVE this world.
    The terrain Paints are great and Like the green house. :)
    I think you should raise the water level.
    THATS IT!
    I will be downloading for sure :)

Thankyou,
    Boggleman,
    :)
  • thetideschangingthetideschanging Posts: 250 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Thanks! I originally had the water level higher, but ran into issues with very shallow water popping up in some of the lower lying areas in town. I may raise it a teensy bit though if that looks better. I also have some more work to do with shaping the terrain.
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited July 2012
    Cute, I love the houses :D. I do agree you could either raise the water level or maybe carve out some beach areas so your Sim doesn't have so far to go to get to water level.
    edited July 2012
    I may raise the water level a tad. I also think I am going to flatten the mountains behind the green house and bring the beach right up behind the house.
    edited September 2012
    Deleted
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MoriGelopiMoriGelopi Posts: 779 Member
    edited August 2012
    Looks so pretty!! Can't wait to see what happens with it!
    edited August 2012
    Thanks!
  • AHENRICHsAHENRICHs Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited August 2012
    Looks good! The builds are great. This is just a suggestion but have you thought of building the beaches out a little more?
  • TBAYLN2TBAYLN2 Posts: 8
    edited August 2012
    That looks awesome!! This will definitely go well with seasons. I'll for sure download when it's done!
    Will the world be pre populated? Excellent buildings by the way! :D
    edited August 2012
    @AHENRICHs: Do you mean building beach lots or making the beach area extend out more? I have several lots that are positioned on the beaches but I just haven't built them yet.

@TBAYLN2: I was thinking the same thing. This world most likely won't be finished till well after seasons is out so I plan on leaving empty community lots that I can put seasons and supernatural lots in later. Hopefully TS3 seasons will allow you to choose the seasons for your world because winter and possibly fall would look pretty odd here.

I also plan to somehow make the world populated. I will be uploading an unpopulated version to the exchange. I may find somewhere I can upload a save game file to, either that or upload the households to the exchange. The former may be better because I can establish relationships, pick careers, and so on. I'm just not sure where I can upload it to.
    edited August 2012
    I think it would really improve the shoreline if you'd extend it out, like a long gentle slope into the water, then you can put shore effects and it'll look really cool in the final version!
    edited August 2012
    Good idea. Maybe I will tweak it a bit =)
  • fido091fido091 Posts: 105 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow, you really have a good start here! And the trees in the town-area really made it look better! Gosh, Im almost as exited for this as i was for Los Aniegos before it came ;)
    Good job! :thumbup:
    edited August 2012
    Thank you so much! It may be a while before it is finished though.. Fall semester starts up soon so I will be quite busy then. Oh well it means that it most likely have seasons and supernatural lots in it. I think the commercial "city" part of the island will be fun to make.
    edited August 2012
    Good idea. Maybe I will tweak it a bit =)

Awesome! I'll be checking back for updates!
    edited September 2012
    Deleted
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2012
    Bump for update =)
    edited August 2012
    Bump for update
  • Gatorade3Gatorade3 Posts: 4,093 Member
    edited August 2012
    WOW, this is awesome!! I really like it! Good job :)
    edited August 2012
    Thanks!
  • simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited August 2012
    This is looking so freaking cool! Great job! Will this have all the ep stuff in it? And I'm also wondering how large you're going to make it? I know you may not know, but it's just something to think about.
  • ArisSims3ArisSims3 Posts: 103 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow this world is beyond amazing! and the houses you make are just extremely perfect, the whole design of it all! cannot wait to download it
  • GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited August 2012
    Your lots are wonderful. I particularly love the art gallery.

Personally I would soften the spikes in the mountains so they appear more natural.

Good work so far.
    edited August 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    This is looking so freaking cool! Great job! Will this have all the ep stuff in it? And I'm also wondering how large you're going to make it? I know you may not know, but it's just something to think about.

This world will include most or all of the expansion pack lots. As it most likely won't be finished till after seasons it will probably have lots from that and supernatural as well. Part of why I'm making this world is because I wanted one that fit all the expansion pack features in and also one that had mainly builds by me. As far as size goes it will most likely be about twice the size it is now as I haven't even touched half of the island. The part will have more of a modern vacation island feeling with large condos built along side the shore. I've got lots of ideas :mrgreen:
    Personally I would soften the spikes in the mountains so they appear more natural.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking that myself. This is my first world so I constantly find myself tweaking things I did earlier as I learn more :lol:
  • moefymoefy Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2012
    looks great