Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hi, My Name Is...The Landing Pad

Comments

• TekLoganTekLogan Posts: 840 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi everyone! My name is Tek and...

... soda... right after a workout...

...is not a good thing...

...i think I'm going to lay down :XD:
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I hope you feel better, probably resting will help. Its never good to drink soda after working out. Often people don't realize soda tends to dehydrate you because of the sugar and other stuff in it - better a bottle of water or a electrolyte replacement drink.

We perform in a ren faire every year and wear layers of velvet in 80 degree weather or warmed can be rough and dehydrate you quickly. I have seen people end up going to the hospital thinking that lots of soda is keeping their fluids up. We make it a rule with the actors that for every soda they drink they have to follow it with a bottle of water - or else - we don't like our actors to only be performing in the emergency room :)
  • rekandtrsrekandtrs Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited July 2012
    stormwench wrote:
    I would like to make a suggestion about wishlists. Always keep one set broken down in individual parts. People often want to start out, if they want to gift you, with smaller gifts then a full set until they get to know you better and how much you participate.

I know its not unusual to see whole sets gifted to people but to be honest those are usually people who have been around for a while and are known for their participation, chatting, playing in contests and such. Of course some contests award winners sets too but most contests need you to have items of smaller sp amounts.

I am sure you can understand that people might be reluctant to spend 15-20 dollars on a new face when they don't know if they are going to continue in the community but many often like to welcome new people with a small gift. If all you have on your wishlist are large sets it maybe a while before you see a gift just because of the cost. If your an involved member you would be amazed at how fast you can get a whole set even if its on your wishlist in individual pieces :)

Good advice Stormwench! I followed it. & it makes alot of since.. some pople are iffy about gifting big sets to strangers :shock: , i know i would. So i did what you said and just added the items individually to my wishlist. I do still have some sets but not a thousand like i did. thank you! :mrgreen:
  • crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I find that if you come into the gifting forum 'expecting' to be gifted then most of the time you don't. Because people can tell if you're being sincere about your wanting to be here or just going here just to get gifted.

If you're in here to make friends and participate then you'd have the grandest time because there are a lot of amazing simmers in this forum, and once in a blue you'd be pleasantly surprised because someone gifted you something. Sometimes for no reason! So have a good time, meet people and be respectful and hopefully you meet people who'd be wonderful new friends :).
  • MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited July 2012
    First of all, thank you, Blythelyre, for creating this thread. It's a wonderful idea and I love how it is being utilized. Bravo!

Secondly, to all of the new and not-so-new members who are just now posting and introducing yourself ... WELCOME!

Thirdly, to InvisibleLyndz
    InvisibleLyndz: "I think another reason why I tend to not post much as well is because I find this site incredibly hard to keep up with as there is no "view post" option. So I end up just bookmarking everything I have posted on or it'll be lost within the hour"

If you click the "My Preferences" link at the top of the forum page, it will take you to the page where you can create a signature and check some other preferences. If you go the url address in the web address bar at the very top of your browser window you will see this: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/user/edit/YOUR-MEMBER-NUMBER.page. If you replace the word "edit" with the word "profile" you will then get a page that has information all about you, including the posts you've started and ones you have simply posted in. When you click on one of those, it will show you your posts with the most recent ones at the top, going on down.

Wow!! I never knew this existed - I've been trying to find old posts using the rubbish search options. This should be front page stuff. You deserve some cookies!!

cookies.png

• BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited July 2012
    Some excellent advice. I posted non simpoint related links because I want you to be here for the community, not the gifts. What a lot of people don't realize is that you get gifted based on how well people know you and like you. That may feel wrong, but really, that's how life is right?

You work hard, you do your best, you treat people kindly and be a good person, and you tend to get rewarded. If you come into this hoping to get gifted and then go about your life, it probably will happen, but it will be a small gift and it will only happen that one time. People like to feel they are rewarding good people.

So I am so happy that so many of you are coming out of your shells and saying hello. I've been running out of people to gift.
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • MyDoodlebugMyDoodlebug Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2012
    I have never expected anyone to gift me, I was using the wishlist to remember stuff my daughter wanted me to purchase. And then today, a wonderful simmer gifted me four of the items because they said they were enjoying the lots I have posted. What a lovely suprise. I don't know what is appropriate to do about gifting. I went to their My Page and put a thank you but not for what. I am not sure if individuals want you to mention them by name in a forum to thank them or to put thank you for the gift on their my page.
    I want them to know what a nice suprise that was, but don't want to put them in the position of someone saying why didn't they gift me. So, help with protocol would be appreciated.
  • thesocialblightthesocialblight Posts: 79 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I have never expected anyone to gift me, I was using the wishlist to remember stuff my daughter wanted me to purchase. And then today, a wonderful simmer gifted me four of the items because they said they were enjoying the lots I have posted. What a lovely suprise. I don't know what is appropriate to do about gifting. I went to their My Page and put a thank you but not for what. I am not sure if individuals want you to mention them by name in a forum to thank them or to put thank you for the gift on their my page.
    I want them to know what a nice suprise that was, but don't want to put them in the position of someone saying why didn't they gift me. So, help with protocol would be appreciated.

I personally do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.
    Although most simmers would never say, "Why didn't you gift me too?" unless they were completely unawares of how this place works or they were just messing with the simmer who gifted you.
    It's really just up to you how you thank someone.
    There really isn't a set protocol.
    It's more of a personal choice. ^^.
  • InvisibleLyndzInvisibleLyndz Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hello everyone, how is everyone this morning? (If it's morning for you?)

Today it has stopped raining, horrah! So I shall be going out to meet my boyfriend after his work this afternoon which I'm looking forward to ^-^ - what are your plans?

Happy Simming!
    edited July 2012

A thank you of any ind is a wonderful thing, whether its on their page, in a post on the topic the obviously gifted from or posting a topic thanking them and some people start their own thank you topic to post thank you's to those that gift them.

I, like most, gift people for whatever reason touches us, from a post, to something you do, to just being here - whatever it is - and not expecting anything in return except an acknowledgement that you did get the gift - just like out in the world people would do. I never expect anything else, I know some people say that as soon as they get sps they will gift me back, but I always tell them not to, because I did not gift for that reason, that if they do have a few extra simpoints some day to just pass on the caring and gift someone they find deserves a gift.

Different people post different things when they thank someone, mentioning the items or not - well what you say is up to you and there is no protocol, how you feel about getting a gift is probably the most important thing :) They only time I would say that you not mention who or what is if they ask you not to for whatever reason. Even then, I think, its okay to post something about being gifted and the gifter 'knows who they are' or 'wishes to remain anonymous'. Its rare but sometimes gifters do that to avoid others from then asking them for a gift or adding friend requests hoping for a gift, or other reason and its best to do as they ask.

• walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hello everyone new and old! I'm walkingstick or sticks or stickers, which is a random username I have because there was a walkingstick in the room when I was signing up :roll: I'm not actually old or a man! (note to self must change avi).

I don't really know how long I've been around the forums but I did lurk for quite some time before being tempted in by the building competitions. Building is the thing that I like to do most in the sims and you'll mostly find me entering the comps here or in Creative Corner checking out other people's builds.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone around.

P.S. I see stormwench has posted above me. Thanks for the desk and chair stormwench. That was a nice surprise.

And of course thanks to Blythelyre for creating such a great thread (and everything else!)
    edited July 2012
    You're welcome. Been meaning to get you for a while but kept spelling your name wrong on the member search and the search is not Google and does not offer a "did you mean ...." option for bad spellers LOL.
  • PixelSmilePixelSmile Posts: 471 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hello. I'm PixelSmile. I can't remember when I joined this site, but I've been playing Sims for years.
    ... Not sure what else to say.

walks out of thread :oops:
    logo_studio-ghibli.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited July 2012
    Good afternoon, Simmers!

I definitely don't expect to be gifted, but I've woken up to gifts the past couple of mornings with gifts from my wishlist. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning when that happens.

I want to learn how to be a better builder and I really enjoy looking at the creativity that happens around these parts. I've been playing Sims since the beginning and there are so many tricks that I've learned since I became active recently that I never knew existed.

Thank you so much to all!
    edited July 2012
    Pixel, come back!!!

Good morning, afternoon, evening everyone!!
  • SkymystSkymyst Posts: 3,888 Member
    edited July 2012
    Well I am a little late to the party but better late than never right? :oops: ?

So my name is Skymyst most people just call me Sky; I found got Sims 3 as a Valentine Day present back in Feb. 2012. I spent a few month lurking on here and then jumped in head first. I have since made a ton of friends here, who I really call friends, even if they are a million miles away!

I have been running Sims 3 contest for a little over a year now; and you normally can always find some type of Skymyst contest running at any given time. I cannot build to save my soul (something I keep meaning to work on) but I love to create unique Sims with backgrounds and stories.

I am easy going and love meeting new people so newbies do not be scared to send me a message. We were all newbies once right?
    edited July 2012
    Hey Skymyst and Blythelyre, hope you're both doing well :D

I've just finished my first competition and I think it went down quite well! I shall have to do some more often when I get some more simpoints!
  • scorpiophoenixscorpiophoenix Posts: 2,289 Member
    edited July 2012
    stormwench wrote:

A thank you of any ind is a wonderful thing, whether its on their page, in a post on the topic the obviously gifted from or posting a topic thanking them and some people start their own thank you topic to post thank you's to those that gift them.

I, like most, gift people for whatever reason touches us, from a post, to something you do, to just being here - whatever it is - and not expecting anything in return except an acknowledgement that you did get the gift - just like out in the world people would do. I never expect anything else, I know some people say that as soon as they get sps they will gift me back, but I always tell them not to, because I did not gift for that reason, that if they do have a few extra simpoints some day to just pass on the caring and gift someone they find deserves a gift.

Different people post different things when they thank someone, mentioning the items or not - well what you say is up to you and there is no protocol, how you feel about getting a gift is probably the most important thing :) They only time I would say that you not mention who or what is if they ask you not to for whatever reason. Even then, I think, its okay to post something about being gifted and the gifter 'knows who they are' or 'wishes to remain anonymous'. Its rare but sometimes gifters do that to avoid others from then asking them for a gift or adding friend requests hoping for a gift, or other reason and its best to do as they ask.

Well I want to thank you for your generous gift to me. You did not have to do that but it is much appreciated! I was just passing on the info I had passed on to me by other generous simmers! Thank you again! :D
  • KrysstiaKrysstia Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2012
    Good morning everyone! Glad it's stopped raining where you are, Lyndz!

I got a chance to sleep in, which was very nice. I need to work some more on my house that I plan to enter in a building contest. (My first one).

Anyone have any fun plans for today?
    edited July 2012
    Heya Krysstia!

For me, nope. I'm just going to stay in for the rest of the night now and stalk the forum haha. *Sounds like a hermit*

Good luck with the building contest, I'm sure you will do great
    edited July 2012
    Good luck with the building contest!
  • StephBEStephBE Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm a little late but I'm StephBE but just Steph is fine. :D I lurked around the Christmas sales, then I think I started to join in around January/February.

At first I was a little apprehensive about posting, like everyone is at first.

I made a lot of lovely friends from Blythelyres' month long poetry contest which I loved. :D

I still consider myself a newbie and I hope a lot of simmers will come out from the shadows and join in the fun!! :mrgreen:
  • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited July 2012
    ArietteMay wrote:
    Hi Sandy, i've seen your builds and I absolutely adore them! <3 It amazes me how users can make such beautiful houses where as I wouldn't have the patience for it! :lol:

Why thank you Ariette, that was very kind. I've been blessed to have the patience virtue, so it doesn't bother me to spend weeks on perfecting one of my builds. Welcome to the forums, you will meet a lot of nice people here. :-)
    edited July 2012
    First of all, thank you, Blythelyre, for creating this thread. It's a wonderful idea and I love how it is being utilized. Bravo!

Secondly, to all of the new and not-so-new members who are just now posting and introducing yourself ... WELCOME!

Thirdly, to InvisibleLyndz
    InvisibleLyndz: "I think another reason why I tend to not post much as well is because I find this site incredibly hard to keep up with as there is no "view post" option. So I end up just bookmarking everything I have posted on or it'll be lost within the hour"

If you click the "My Preferences" link at the top of the forum page, it will take you to the page where you can create a signature and check some other preferences. If you go the url address in the web address bar at the very top of your browser window you will see this: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/user/edit/YOUR-MEMBER-NUMBER.page. If you replace the word "edit" with the word "profile" you will then get a page that has information all about you, including the posts you've started and ones you have simply posted in. When you click on one of those, it will show you your posts with the most recent ones at the top, going on down.

Hopefully this will help you keep track better of threads where you're posting and wanting to keep up with.

:)

And finally, about me. I have been on the forums for quite awhile but mostly in the creative sections like Create-A-World and Creative Corner. I first came to the forums looking for help with my adventures in World Adventures and I stayed to participate in the discussions in General and Technical Discussions.

Then after the longest time, I finally wandered into GG (Gift Gathering) and this is now my "home." It's always the first place I come before I go see what's going on in other areas.

I love the people here and I am thankful, more than I can say, to have found this little corner of Simdom.

Thanks so much Faith for that tip...I didn't even know that page existed. Learn something new everyday! :-)
    edited July 2012
    stormwench wrote:

Stormwench--thank you so much for sending me the haute hacienda old town oven. I was very surprised to see it in my gift box and wondered where you saw my name. That was so generous of you and I very much appreciate it. I went to your profile and discovered that we may be close in age, as I am thinking of retiring within the next couple of years. I will send you a friend request. Have a good day.