Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morakai's WIP - -ZooU Contest updates Pg 4

MorakaiMorakai Posts: 3,806 Member
As many of you know.... I am soooo not a builder! However, I got an idea for a build, so I thought that I would see if I could make it. It is a basic box, so where could I get it wrong? DOn't answer that!! :lol:

I started this last night, and there is still LOTS of work still to be done on it. However, I thought if I post here, some of the builders in here (who are amazing), would give advice on what would make this better. This is a gift, so would like for it to be as good as possible. :D

Thank you for your time & assistance!

Here is the Front of the schoolhouse:

Screenshot-7.jpg

Here is the back area. The little building in the back (only see roof in this pic) is the bathrooms upgraded from outhouses.

Screenshot-10.jpg

Inside.... (from front door to back view)

Screenshot-8.jpg

From back towards the front door:

Screenshot-9.jpg

As you can see, I still have lots of work to do, but any advice or tips to help make it better? THank you all! (please remember that this is only my second build ever)

Comments

• Options
    EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited June 2012
    I think it's adorable, I might have put the bell up on the peak (just me), I usually put a tad bit of dirt around like playground poles and swing paths to make it seem like it's worn from so much play. Great job!
    oow785m
  • Options
    whatsociallifewhatsociallife Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited June 2012
    It's very cute, I like the rustic look you've gone for.
    Some ideas for you to think about:
    I would personally have the windows and doors coloured in a similar colour to the exterior or maybe a dark brown.
    Probably a darker stone on the foundation and some more basic tables inside - they look a bit too fancy for a school.
    Grass could do with a little terrain painting just to break it up a bit and some plants.
    Can you fit a few skill building items in too like an easel, telescope etc?
  • Options
    KLoreleiKLorelei Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited June 2012
    Wonderful work Morakai. I think Pam's suggestions are good ones, I'd also maybe add in a few of the book stacks and paper clutter (if you have Generations - I think those came with that EP).

Ooh and maybe a chair in the corner for the "bad" or misbehaving student. lol

eta: Sorry, just thought of something else - I'd also add a couple of teeny hills outside, maybe even slopes down in to (I don't want to say valleys because certainly not deep, but I think you may get what I mean) lower areas of the ground. Most terrain isn't completely flat and it'll help it look a bit more realistic. Just choose areas away from where sims will normally "path" and it shouldn't interfere with anything (around trees is a good spot to change the levels of terrain for added interest).
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited June 2012
    I agree with everything Pam just said... Remove the top little roof and put the bell on top. Then I'd put a half wall or fence around it that hides the yellow brick. Add collomns at the corners (MOO cheat) and then place that hipped roof there. OR if you like it on the ground, I'd recolor the foundation wall to match the yellow brick.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think it's adorable, I might have put the bell up on the peak (just me), I usually put a tad bit of dirt around like playground poles and swing paths to make it seem like it's worn from so much play. Great job!

I wanted to put the bell in the tower, but with the roofline, and the windows that I could use, so not looking right... Any ideas on how would be great! :mrgreen:

Oh yeah... Landscaping isn't even started yet. Terrain paints can add so much more... Just didn't have time to do that last night. :D

Thanks for looking at it! This is only my second build, and first for someone else. I just would love for this to be as perfect as possible for them! :oops:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I agree with everything Pam just said... Remove the top little roof and put the bell on top. Then I'd put a half wall or fence around it that hides the yellow brick. Add collomns at the corners (MOO cheat) and then place that hipped roof there. OR if you like it on the ground, I'd recolor the foundation wall to match the yellow brick.

THANK YOU!!! I so wanted to put it on top, but no idea how!! So going to try this when I go back in.

All this is about 3 hours worth of work, and haven't even gotten to the color everything stage, or adding on "clutter". However, it will be added! :mrgreen:

I can only use certain EP's and Gen isn't one. <sigh> Will work with what I can though. :mrgreen:

THank you thank you thank you everyone! <cheers> Oh I hope she likes it! :oops:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Morakai wrote:
    All this is about 3 hours worth of work, and haven't even gotten to the color everything stage, or adding on "clutter". However, it will be added! :mrgreen:

I can only use certain EP's and Gen isn't one. <sigh> Will work with what I can though. :mrgreen:

I hear ya. I figured you weren't there yet, all those touches usually are last last last, but you've done so well I couldn't really think of anything to add. And of course it's always tough when you're restricted from using some items because of building for another person. I soooo understand. Trust. lol
  • Options
    PEACHES327PEACHES327 Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited June 2012
    All the ladies so far have given you the best advice possible. :mrgreen: So I concur with them!
    Clutter/Miscellaneous Decor is your Best Friend.

I think what you have so far looks fantastic. Can't wait to see what else you do with it. :thumbup:
    Please Visit My Sims 3 & 4 Blog! studiopeaches.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Actually, it just occured to me Morakai, you may not be able to use the Gen decor items, but that doesn't mean you can't place real sim books on the desks. You'll need to move a sim in to do it, so I'm not sure you'll want to, but it is an option should you so decide. Just a thought. ^_^
  • Options
    ElimarnaElimarna Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited June 2012
    Oooh! Very cute! The tips I would have given have all been covered already, so I'll just cheer you on as you continue to work on this.
  • Options
    EMPRESSPAMELAEMPRESSPAMELA Posts: 10,108 Member
    edited June 2012
    lol, students could bring their multi-tab 6000 to use as their chalkboard writers :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Think the hardest part was the inside. Trying to get something that looked like a chalkboard. :?

I do agree with whatsociallife about the desks, so will look again. However, I am using tables instead of desks so can have 2 people sitting at them instead of the one. Need to see if can find more colonial tables though.

THere will be some skill building items as well. However, I have an idea for a wee floral patch near the privy's to break up the red some. Will put an easel there so easier for them to paint pretty flowers. :mrgreen:

Still want to add a bench or 2, tables and even a wee BBQ so can have something to snack on. Or might turn the "storage" room into a mini kitchenette with a microwave, instead. Still working on that.

THank you everyone for the tips, how-to's and all! I really really do appreciate it!! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Don't forget about the base game picnic baskets, those are good "snack" options too.

eta:
    lol, students could bring their multi-tab 6000 to use as their chalkboard writers :mrgreen:

Well, considering they can do their homework on them...lol.
  • Options
    reclusive757reclusive757 Posts: 124 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I'm not one to give advice as I have zero creativity and wouldn't haven gotten that far. However, I think it's cute and looks a little like the one on Little House on the Prairie. I'm just posting for support and to encourage your continued work on it! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm not one to give advice as I have zero creativity and wouldn't haven gotten that far. However, I think it's cute and looks a little like the one on Little House on the Prairie. I'm just posting for support and to encourage your continued work on it! :D

Funny you should mention that cause that is what it is based off of.... :lol::lol::lol:

I couldn't find many other pics, and then I remembered that show, and I got started! It won't be just like it, but eh... It is a schoolhouse & no 2 schoolhouses are the same! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Was able to do a bit more on the outside, before I had to start making dinner. Yes, that includes the steeple with bell!!! :mrgreen:

Screenshot-13.jpg

Photobucket is being mean, so can't post other pics yet, as it won't let me resize. grrrr :x

However, thank you all for the support & ideas!! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh goodie! Was able to get everything fixed!

Side of school building:

Screenshot-14.jpg

Screenshot-15.jpg

Back of building. First one has the tree in the pic, but then you will see when the tree disappears.

Screenshot-16.jpg

Screenshot-17.jpg

Still have to do a bit more, and work on the inside! Keep your fingers crossed that she likes it! :D
  • Options
    calmorezoocalmorezoo Posts: 8,105 Member
    edited June 2012
    looking good hun, now ive got your creative juices following hope you will coninue to create and upload your creations and maybe oneday you will be part of a build team like my self.

Build tip for the roof if you come back too before bell tower with the apex roof the use the one sided roof for either side of the tower, You wont have roof cutting through the walls and you can also then hight adjust the roof to just bellow the bell.
    hope this helps>
    but if you like i could do a mock up build and take a picture.
    h2xmsbl]

• Options
    edited June 2012
    calmorezoo wrote:
    looking good hun, now ive got your creative juices following hope you will coninue to create and upload your creations and maybe oneday you will be part of a build team like my self.

Build tip for the roof if you come back too before bell tower with the apex roof the use the one sided roof for either side of the tower, You wont have roof cutting through the walls and you can also then hight adjust the roof to just bellow the bell.
    hope this helps>
    but if you like i could do a mock up build and take a picture.

I will try that!

Me? Part of a team of builders?!?!? :shock: I have a LONG way to go before I even begin to contemplate that!! :lol: Still too much to learn first! Thought I could do this as it is a box. I can do boxes! :mrgreen: However, it is something to work towards. Good to have a goal! Right now mine is making this as perfect a present as possible!

Thank you all for helping! :D
  • Options
    onigiriloveronigirilover Posts: 1,240 Member
    edited June 2012
    can't wait to see the finished product! ;):D
  • Options
    Aleisha18Aleisha18 Posts: 596 Member
    edited June 2012
    It looks Gorgeous Morakai! I know you said its based on little house on the prarie but the inside for some reason it reminds me of the school house in Anne of Green Gables :D it looks wonderful!
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2012
    Very cute Morakai! I love the bell and that playground is looking great! More pics please? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    THank you everyone for your support!! I am going to try to get some work done on the inside today. THanks to Originalsim I was able to get the bell tower done, and I did some more work on the outside.

Promise I will post more pics as I get more done! :D

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Did some work on the inside. Have to say that you builders get more & more amazing in my eyes the further I go along on this. How you are able to find things to make it perfect is unbelievable.

I was able to get some work done on the inside. Some....

Screenshot-18.jpg

Screenshot-19.jpg

Screenshot-20.jpg
    This is the very front, when you walk in the front door.

Screenshot-21.jpg

Screenshot-23.jpg
    Back door & rest rooms
    Screenshot-25.jpg
    Screenshot-27.jpg
  • Options
    originalsimoriginalsim Posts: 1,696 Member
    edited June 2012
    This looks really great Morakai! Very quaint. I really like the wood tones and colors you've chosen. The bell on top of the school house looks awesome! If you are still open to suggestions, I would try raising the pitch on the main roof a bit. And I know this is still a WIP, but don't forget to recolor the bathroom doors. (I've done that soo many times!) Can't wait to give this one a well deserved Rec.