Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW 24-bit color PNG?

Ok, i have no clue!
I've resized the image for the thumbnail to 256x256 and saved the image as a PNG. However when I go to change the thumbnail it comes up with an error. I have looked in the properties of the image, and it says it's a 32-bit color PNG.
How do I change the bit depth?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• estyle36estyle36 Posts: 1,338 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Hi :) !

There is a tutorial about that in the FAQ thread sticked at the top of this forum :) !
  • tanzanitecoil17tanzanitecoil17 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2012
    Thank god I'm not the only one, I'm so angry. EA hasn't given me a single clue to how get a whatchamacallit image with stupid standards, all I want is a world to live in, my OWN world.

But then, I guess EA DOES have a thing for being complicated, don't they? >: /
  • AnticipationAnticipation Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2012
    I had SO much trouble with this!

I would suggest downloading Raw Therapee. It is free and does the trick. You need 16 bit png.
  • Tccool987Tccool987 Posts: 265
    edited June 2012
    I would use LunaPic, just save it as a 256x256 PNG and it will already be 24-bit.
    http://www.lunapic.com/editor/
  • btwest1966btwest1966 Posts: 17 New Member
    edited October 2012
    Tccool987 wrote:
    I would use LunaPic, just save it as a 256x256 PNG and it will already be 24-bit.
    http://www.lunapic.com/editor/

WRONG. Try testing your theory forst before wasting people's time. It sves the .png file as 32 bit.
  • vDisconnectedvDisconnected Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2012
    I'd recommend using Paint.net program, it has the option to save as 24 bit PNG and is for free.
  • EdgeWithYouEdgeWithYou Posts: 353
    edited October 2012
    All you have to do is 'flatten' the image in an editing program (I use GIMP). :D
  • cllevettcllevett Posts: 930 Member
    edited October 2012
    I found you can use PrtScn button then open Paint & paste the image in.

Crop & resize as needed. When you save it as a PNG it should be 24bit.

"But then, I guess EA DOES have a thing for being complicated, don't they? >: /"
    No. Developers don't just sit around thinking how can I **** off users today...
  • ClisairClisair Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2012
    I had SO much trouble with this!

I would suggest downloading Raw Therapee. It is free and does the trick. You need 16 bit png.

Raw Therapee does indeed work and it is not hard to use at all. Just load the image and click on the save icon and choose 16bit. Wiber http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html is a decent free map maker that will save height maps in 16bit.
  • keytehkeyteh Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Thank god I'm not the only one, I'm so angry. EA hasn't given me a single clue to how get a whatchamacallit image with stupid standards, all I want is a world to live in, my OWN world.

But then, I guess EA DOES have a thing for being complicated, don't they? >: /

No, I agree with you. The Create a World tool is a great idea, HORRIBLE execution. Totally not user friendly, and ridiculous requirements for saving/sharing.

I just want to open up the world I started in the actual game, because it will be easier to edit. But apparently, I have to download a program just so I can tailor this stupid thumbnail to meet the specific requirements of: 256x256, 24 bit, and PNG. All this hassle? Not worth it. But, I'm doing it because I have a creative itch that must be scratched. In the mean time, I will be fuming.
  • DinkyPinky333DinkyPinky333 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @vDisconnected said:
    > I'd recommend using the Paint.net program, it has the option to save as 24 bit PNG and is for free.

Yes, the Paint.net program is the only one I tried so far that works, it lets you select the specific bit size, in my case 24 and it finally let me export the world.
  • SovazSovaz Posts: 51 Member
    I was able to get a 24-bit png when I saved the image in Paint 3D (comes with Windows 10).