Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

bizarre cause of lag/freeze issue - 1st post updated 8/26/13

Comments

• candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited May 2012
    Once again this is not our fault, if we decide to move a house, ghosts or other objects in the game. The game was made to play not for us to worry about what is coded or not coded if I have to worry about all those things then I don't need to play the game. Might as well find something else to do. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea. At least I won't go broke buying junk for this silly game. What am I suppose to be a computer programer. I think not.

Oh yes I forgot one more thing in my rave, SIMS IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN NOT A HEADACH.
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited May 2012
    Before this thread gently slides into the Netherworld of the forum, I want to remind people who may need to refer back to it, that my thread is linked in General/Technical, in a sticky at the top, named: How to post in the technical forum - A little guide (incl. links to issues)

So if you lose my thread, go over to General Technical and choose the sticky. Not only is this thread linked, but a whole bunch of other threads that will help you with the game, thanks to crinrict.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2012
    I have also linked it in my blog at the lag post.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited May 2012
    Can someone please tell me why when I downloaded Riverview I now have three Riverview's in my game what is up with this. I guess I should not have deleted a house or something.
    edited May 2012
    candy8 wrote:
    Can someone please tell me why when I downloaded Riverview I now have three Riverview's in my game what is up with this. I guess I should not have deleted a house or something.

LOL! The way you asked that just struck me funny. :D

I can verify it does happen, because it has happened to me. I was able to correct it by regenerating a brand new The Sims 3 folder in Documents/Electronic Arts and reinstalling all my EA store CC. I started out with the worlds, just to see if I could get them to install properly, before I installed anything else. I was able to get Lunar Lakes, Hidden Springs, Riverview, and Barnacle Bay to install -- each only showing one world in the menu of available worlds. Everything else installed fine, after that, also.

But I have no idea whether it was something in my game folder that corrupted it, or if my launcher was just plain wonky, for a while.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2012
    Go to the installedWorlds folder. You should find multiple copies in there. Simply delete that ones that are super fluent.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

edited May 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    Go to the installedWorlds folder. You should find multiple copies in there. Simply delete that ones that are super fluent.

Now WHY didn't I think of that? I can't believe that was all there was to it. And I installed all my stuff all over again. ROTFLOL

• DART104DART104 Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2012
    To Crinrit, Amjoie, Reg, Marie and everyone who posted in this thread:

I'm just amazed at this thread! I learned I've made HUGE mistakes while playing my game! Especially bulldozing lots (which I do in every saved game) I'm embarrassed to admit. But, I thought the in-game editor was O.K. to use for bulldozing. I need to READ more. Also, I'm guilty of using Edit Town to delete the EA Sims that throw "fits" in town with a lot of noise. I've even deleted the burglars in SOME of my saved games. OMG. I'm shocked that my game works at all!!

I want to leave a sincere "Thank You" to all the posters in this thread, and a hearty "Well done!" I've played since Sims 1 and was addicted to it in a major way! I would learn ANYTHING to keep my game going back then (when I played Sims 1), and like Crinrit said, it took a LOT of reading. I learned a lot back then, and I'm happy I spent the time READING all I could find about problems and error-free game play. It was a huge benefit to me in other areas of my life when using computers. :)

I admire all of you that were willing to put in the work to find the issues mentioned, and mainly... for being the kind of people who share their knowledge with others.... I'm humbled by your sharing nature. Thank you so very, very much for being GOOD people!

I have extra Sim Points if anyone has anything on their wishlist they would like gifted to them. Please just let me know!
  • 8Faith88Faith8 Posts: 3,546 Member
    edited June 2012
    My game lags, and I have no idea why. I am in HS, it is a new game, and I cannot fix it! I think it may be my computer. I only have base game, adventures, gen, and master suit.
  • hanyohanyo Posts: 1,013 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    You are also good to go with the that empty version of SV - is that Magic Dancers as i know that one is good - just get the one with the lots already added as the ingame editor has it's own problems, so it is better if you make sure the world has lots and try not to add many using that world editor. You can generally get away with adding 3-4 before it starts breaking routing or appears to be breaking routing - but anyway that is based off of the CAW Sunset Valley lite that EA added to CAW for people to build their own worlds and it has never had sims in it to worry about. Hope that helps.

I'm using the one with no lots and adding them all in myself in game. I hope I don't have problems because of that.
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited June 2012
    I deserve no credit for anything! I was learning just as much as everyone else. I'm just glad to have some idea of how not to doom my games from the beginning! Some things I might have had an idea were issues on my own, but I certainly didn't understand how or why or anywhere near the entirety of it. I am so grateful that amjoie made this thread (and the spawner one before that which helped me understand why spawners were being an issue, and how to fix it!). And I am just as grateful that Writin_Reg was willing to share so much information with us all and answer so many questions! I have had to really change the way I play but hopefully I will be able to keep playing, which I was never able to do before; for years I've had to keep starting over.

As a bonus in this whole process, I found out about Rflongs worlds (which are wonderful) and learned how to use CAW on Sunset Valley 2 to place the lots I want to place where I want to place them. I can finally play in neighborhoods that might be able to support my games. :D

The information in this thread really should be required reading!
    edited June 2012
    I have kicked up a new problem, in a no mod/no CC (except for EA Store CC) Lunar Lakes game. One member of a large EA created family is entirely black in the opening thumbnail. Both the sim thumbnail and the sim is fine inside the world.

What I did just prior to the glitch occurring:

1. I "evicted" an EA sim family of four from their home, to the edit screen. Then I immediately merged the family of four with another EA created family of four (and a horse I added to that family), who had already been moved into a new home I built for them. The merge turned the four person family into an eight person family with a horse. After saving, the thumbnail was good, for all family members.

2. I changed traits for everyone in the family, with testingcheatsenabled. Thumbnail still good.

3. I took one toddler, one child, and two adults into edit sim, with testingcheatsenabled. I changed facial features, hair, makeup, and clothes for all of the sims mentioned. I saved the game after each sim had their redo. Thumbnail was still good after making all the changes.

4. I saved the game, quit, and restarted. The thumbnail was still good. I played for a short time to see if I could get the toddler started on potty training, and changed a couple things in the house, all without using cheats. I saved the game and quit.

5. The next day, I opened the game, and one of the adults I had redone the day before was black in the thumbnail. ???

I was able to correct the problem by using the in-game reward that changes an adult back into a young adult. After that, the thumbnail returned to normal.

But since I am concerned about having as near a perfect game as possible, I need to know why is this happening, and is it indicative of a glitchy saved game?

Oh, I should also mention that I have NOT used the in-game world editor on this save game. In fact, all I have done is place a few community lots in places they already fit, and build one residential lot. Then I was planning on redoing all the EA sims, which I had just started doing.

Since I have done so little to this save game, it would be easy to start over. But I don't want to do that if a black sim in the thumbnail is a non-issue regarding the integrity of the saved game.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2012
    Amjoie - you did a no-no that is too many sims in that household - you coulkd have had the 8 sims but no horse as horses, dogs, and cats are considered sims in Sims 3. I suggest you re-start the game because backing up may not fix the corruption. I am actually surprised the game even let you place those 4 sims - but it could be the twins factor - as in there was a chance that a family with 7 members could have a pregnancy with twin for an eigth baby - but when it happened most generally before those kids reached either child or teen age the game would corrupt because they were getting too close to the 8 YA and up sim to a household limit. Because of this one of the patches - I believe it was the Generations one, stopped a sim from having twins or higher if 7 were already in the household - but it might have been messed up with the new head count for Pets that at one point was allowing a 10 count of 6 human and 4 animal sims in a household. People thought it meant with Pets they could have 10 family members regardless of the combination as long as a few were pets - but that is not true - the game programing says you can have either 8 sims with no pets or 6 human sims with up to 4 pets. So how you transended to 8 humans and 1 animal I am preplexed as that should not have been possible - so it is my only deduction your game was corrupted right prior to you doing that - and seeing that corruption involves breaking the actual programming you really need to get rid of that save and start all over otherwise you are going to incompass further corruption.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited June 2012
    Just to add that black looking sim is generally an indication of a missing default skin, and in the case of the EA sims I do know some have a EA default skin to reflect the Lunar lakes skin - I believe it first came about in Ambitions, again in Hidden Springs, and finally in LL. So sounds like the corruption was causing that skin not to work. I have no clue why - but it would be enough for me alone to restart. But no you cannot have 8 sims and a Pet. You can have 6 sims and up to 4 pets or you can have 8 sims with no pets. I know the number is 10, but where pets are involved you are supposed to only be able to have 6 sims and up to 4 pets or you can even get away with 7 sims and 1 pet. With 8 human sims you supposedly can't have any pets. I know the programming is weird when it comes to pets and them registering as Sims and not animals.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Amjoie - you did a no-no that is too many sims in that household - you coulkd have had the 8 sims but no horse as horses, dogs, and cats are considered sims in Sims 3. I suggest you re-start the game because backing up may not fix the corruption. I am actually surprised the game even let you place those 4 sims - but it could be the twins factor - as in there was a chance that a family with 7 members could have a pregnancy with twin for an eigth baby - but when it happened most generally before those kids reached either child or teen age the game would corrupt because they were getting too close to the 8 YA and up sim to a household limit. Because of this one of the patches - I believe it was the Generations one, stopped a sim from having twins or higher if 7 were already in the household - but it might have been messed up with the new head count for Pets that at one point was allowing a 10 count of 6 human and 4 animal sims in a household. People thought it meant with Pets they could have 10 family members regardless of the combination as long as a few were pets - but that is not true - the game programing says you can have either 8 sims with no pets or 6 human sims with up to 4 pets. So how you transended to 8 humans and 1 animal I am preplexed as that should not have been possible - so it is my only deduction your game was corrupted right prior to you doing that - and seeing that corruption involves breaking the actual programming you really need to get rid of that save and start all over otherwise you are going to incompass further corruption.

Well, I just tested it out, and the game allows a household of eight young adults to still adopt two pets.

I started a brand new Sunset Valley. I went into CAS and randomly chose eight young adult sims to form a new household. I did nothing to them except choose one trait per sim and give them each a lifetime wish. I put them into the game and had them buy a house. I waited a short time for the game to stock up on pets, just letting time pass. I didn't even play the sims. They just talked with each other.

Then I had a sim adopt a kitten. The kitten was delivered. I waited again for time to pass, not playing the sims. They all interacted with the kitten. Awwww, etc. I had another sim adopt a foal. The foal was delivered. One of the sims fed the foal a bottle of milk. Everything was perfectly normal.

When I checked to see if another sim could adopt another pet, the option to adopt a pet was missing.

So, in this test case, in a no mod/no CC brand new unplayed world, I have a household of ten, with eight young adult sims and two pets, and that is the limit for this household.

Check it out in your game, please. See if you can do the same.
    edited June 2012
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    Just to add that black looking sim is generally an indication of a missing default skin, and in the case of the EA sims I do know some have a EA default skin to reflect the Lunar lakes skin - I believe it first came about in Ambitions, again in Hidden Springs, and finally in LL. So sounds like the corruption was causing that skin not to work.

Let me understand you correctly -- you are saying that EA is making more than one default skin, now? We have the original base game skins as defaults, and then we have some new default skins that came with LL? Do they override the original skins?

If my home was not overstuffed, what could have caused the skin to not work right?

I am getting extremely frustrated with this game.

I had already decided that trying to use the in-game editor was an exercise in futility, because my test results were all over the board. For a couple sim weeks, the first added lot game was perfect. So, then I added the second lot, and after a week or so of sim time testing, it was great. I added a third lot, and wanted to compare the first lot game to the third lot game. So I went back to the first lot game that had tested fine for all that time, and suddenly it started being glitchy. The second lot game was still fine when I tried it, again. ???? How is that even possible? It made so little sense to me, being absolutely random and arbitrary. I just threw up my hands, and decided to make do with the lots already in LL.

OK, so having given up on full customization, which was a sacrifice, I at least decided to add the community lots that I needed to make the world complete. I didn't add many, in comparison to what I wanted to add. Just the minimum necessary for my sims to enjoy the world.

And all of a sudden, I get the EA default skins breaking? I haven't even played the world, yet. Ack!

Now, it seems you have been told different information than the way the game actually works. So, if what you were told is correct, then the game is going beyond its own programming, with utter abandon? I sure hope you are remembering it wrong, and the way the game is working is actually how it was intended to work. Because if what you remember is correct, then the game is glitched beyond repair, as far as I am concerned. My game is definitely letting me have eight young adults and two pets, at which point it will allow no more sims of any kind in the family.

At the moment, I think I am going to redo all the sims in a brand new world. After that is done, I will save multiple back ups. Then I'll add my preferred community lots, and test to see if the game glitches. If it does, I'll have to go back and add one lot at a time until I find which one is glitching my game. Because that is the only thing I can think might be at fault.

Unless what just happened is entirely a random occurrence, which may never happen, again. Sigh.

I don't know. I have a headache. I'll think about all this later. After I read a good book, for a while.
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited June 2012
    Amjoie, I have been able to have 10 (with pets) since I bought Pets. I was surprised when the game let me go over the 8 limit. I tested it out and I definitely can't go over 8. If I have 6 pets (like to get the unicorn to join) I can only have 4 people sims, but if I have 4 then the unicorn can't join my household.

My current legacy family has 7 people and 3 pets. I am not having any issues with them, except with the IFs aging up. Though come to think of it, it was only when two were aging up (with twins). I assumed it was a conflict with SP, OW, or ET but maybe it is related to this idea somehow? I really don't know what to think.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2012
    amjoie, the dark, shiny black skinned sims are the result of a sim being uploaded with a NON default skin that the person who downloads the sim does not have. Since the skin the sim was packaged with is not in their game, it gets replaced with that one.
    It is the reason why creators continually stress that you should not package and upload sims with non default skins.
    Default replacement skins do not transfer.

Edit - clarification.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited June 2012
    You're right Amjoie - tried it last night, and sure enough my 8 roommates were able to have 2 pets. Well in one way that is good - it means they fixed it as I saw the problem with the second ST patch - I think it was - now I don't remember, maybe it was the first -

The bad part though is I have no clue then what corrupted your sim.

The skin color I am talking about is the green one they first added with Ambitions.

Pary it was my understanding the Sim in question was an EA sim that turned black - that is what you said wasn't it Amjoie? If it was and they turned black then I would say they game corrupted - but if it was a downloaded sims then that would explain it as Pary stated default skins do not transfer, but you can fix a sim in CAS by applying an EA skin to them, and then change their hair style and their face color will change to match.

But anyway you are right about the pets.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2012
    That green skin will not override the basic skin colors but it will allow babies born to a green skinned individual have it's parents green skins. I understand though they tweaked that skin green a bit for LL - but I personally do not see any difference. Perhaps if I had two pcs side by side maybe, but it actually looks the same green as we always had that we could vary when we applied it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2012
    Marie - if you have the newest updates, you need to go over to Twallans and update those particular mods you listed as he has all of those updated and even tweaked some of their other problems - I saw them updated just yesterday.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2012
    The sim in question is an EA sim. I had no CC or mods in my game, other than EA Store CC. I hadn't even added any of my own CAS made sims, yet. Definitely no downloaded sims. Well, there were some horses ... but I cannot see how that would be a problem, because the horses aren't black in the thumbnail.

And the EA sim's skin in the game is fine. Even their thumbnail in the game is fine. It is the opening family grouping thumbnail that you see before the world is opened that has the black skin on one sim, like a silhouette.

Maybe it is nothing to be concerned about, but I'm just so twitchy about something going wrong, that any anomaly has me biting nails, at this point.

I'm truly relieved to hear that eight people can still have pets. You all made my day, on that one. The extra colors added are no problem, either. I knew about them, but I thought you were talking about overrides, and that had me in a tizzy. I feel much better now, knowing I'm dealing with known quotients.

So, now that I've clarified about the black sim problem being only in the opening family portrait thumbnail, on an EA sim -- any ideas of why it is happening?
    edited June 2012
    Not at all. I tried to make it do it and couldn't. The only thing I am wondering was that a brand new download perhaps? As the only possibility I could come up with in my head as a possible bad download of LL. That does happen with the store worlds sometimes but there is no list of things you might see that I can find if there is a bad download. But if it was not a recent download and one you already had I'd really be perplexed even more than I am. I've been racking my brain since last night looking.

Yeah I was pretty sure you had said it was an EA sims. But anyway if it is a possible bad download, you can uninstall it through the launcher - redownload through your purchase history and reinstall it. Any number of things can make downloads go wrong from both your end and EA's - especially where they have been puttering around with the store a lot lately - you may have downloaded it while they were doing something or it could have been on your end - like you internet might have burped or stuttered - or you machine might have even done something - like back ground tasks or any number of things. Like I always have to check nothing is schedualled to update or scan or backup any files before i go downloading things. I generally wait until about 1 am to do most of my downloading as nothing is ever going on with my pc at that hour and any internet interference is at it's lowest around here from 1 am to 3 am.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• gngrsnpgngrsnp Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited June 2012
    screenshot_original.jpg

I had an issue with wild horses going home for the evening. They'd pick an empty house and attempt to go home. As if they are Sims. There were four wild horses that came home to this lot,alone repeatedly. I would have to reset lot and they would choose another lot or sometimes a venue to nap/congregate at during the day. On bigger lots too they would complain and line up blocking doorways trying to enter to non-rabbit hole lot.
    edited June 2012
    That is really weird Gingersnap - but I have another Simmer friend here who also had some weirdness with horses - like one spawned in his kitchen during the night and he had a heck of a time getting it out. I forget exactly how he got it out, as horses are not supposed to go through regular doors. As he first thought the horse had came in the house during the night, but I believe it teleported or spawned there as some wild horses can teleport just like the Unicorns do, so I think he may have teleported into there. DM even had a picture. We laughed our heads off over it - but I have to admit I have not had any weirdness yet with horses like that. I did read a blog a while back though if horses are spawned into the world in a particular spot for the first time they will keep coming back to that spot as they feel it is their home. So I have seen lots - both community and home lots get horses coming back to them every night after placing a house or community building on that lot - the horses consider it theirs I guess. I tested it a few times - like I had to move a beach bar because of that - as the horses kept driving Sims away - so I moved the bar to the next lot over and everybody was happy. The horses did not care about the building, just the lot. Wonder if that was your problem with that lot in your picture.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top