Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is this $29.99

Others are only $19.99 but I see this jumped up to $29.99. Is this just because of Katy Perry's name is on it that it has a 10 dollar increase?

Comments

• mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited April 2012
    Pretty much. They're claiming there's dozens and dozens of extra items on top of the normal SP item count, but so far I've counted maybe 15 extra items, tops. And new wallpaper for a pool isn't worth 67¢ plus tax, IMO.
  • piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited April 2012
    EA said it is due to a lot of extra items. They said that a majority of the items haven't been shown yet. So there is no real idea of the exact # of items or clothing yet. We will find that out during the next live chat.
  • GaMomoGaMomo Posts: 298
    edited April 2012
    IMO that extra $10 is to pay for the endorsement.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited April 2012
    GaMomo wrote:
    IMO that extra $10 is to pay for the endorsement.
    It may well be - but like Piddlesim said, we won't know until we know what's in the pack, and how it compares with the other packs.

I bought it here for 17.90 Euros plus shipping, which is 2 Euros *less* than any previous Stuff Pack for pre-order. So either the stores here have missed the announcement, or they're already counting on not being able to sell it since they fear not enough people know KP.
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited April 2012
    For the same reason that the Katy Perry Collector's of Showtime is $10 more then teh regular edition - because they ahve to pay for Katy Perry's endorsement of the SP. Her name is on the box and they have to pay her for that.

Yes they did say this was a mega pack and we were told to watch the catalog pictures and screenshots to see how many more items we are getting over the largest SP we have ever see... which would be town life with 71 items. So far its just a few more items then we had in town life, not the 'dozen and dozens' of extras they said would be in the mega pack. Dozens and Dozens, which was what was hyped in the Live Chat would make you like of 12 times 4 or more and there is not that many showing up, and they promised we would see them all in the screenshots before the next Live Chat.

We've been told the SP has gone 'gold' meaning its already gone out to be published so all the content that is in it is in it, so if their is more we should see more screenshots as we were told to.

True, we do know they have not posted pictures of the wallpaper they are planning to give us as pool tiles, or the patterns they count as content, and its only more then town life if you count the 3 community lots built out with nothing more then what is in the SP.

But if she cost EA $10 extra for her name on the KPC version of Showtime, which had no extra content just a couple of downloads (and a KP sim which you can now download for free) then I guess the extra $10 for this SP is because they added a few more items to the content list and put her name on every box. Sadly there will not be a version of this SP without her name on it for those of us that do not care if we have her name and picture on the box and just want to buy the SP for 19.99.
  • DruscillaPenneyDruscillaPenney Posts: 82
    edited May 2012
    It's practically a no lose situation for EA. They jack up the price with some lame reasoning in order to help cover Perry's endorsement, then come income tax time they take whatever they pay her off their corporate earnings as an advertising expense. It's a win/win for them.
    edited May 2012
    It's practically a no lose situation for EA. They jack up the price with some lame reasoning in order to help cover Perry's endorsement, then come income tax time they take whatever they pay her off their corporate earnings as an advertising expense. It's a win/win for them.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the tax incentive. And when they have to lower the price to move it - its a loss and more tax credit.
  • Loreleilee73Loreleilee73 Posts: 222 Member
    edited May 2012
    You think $29.99 is bad? Over here in the UK it's £24.99 which works out at approx $39! :shock: Think they'll sell many at that price lol?! Not to me they won't and I am an avid collector of the Sims, I have them all - Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3, plus Simcities and various console versions but I certainly don't have mug stamped on my forehead!!
  • didiruvalcabadidiruvalcaba Posts: 294
    edited May 2012
    I hope to see lots more in CAS.
  • VermatrixVermatrix Posts: 946 New Member
    edited May 2012
    *sits and waits for the overpriced Katy Perry sets to appear in the Sims 3 store for a 80% price increase over everything else there* :shock:
    edited May 2012
    Vermatrix wrote:
    *sits and waits for the overpriced Katy Perry sets to appear in the Sims 3 store for a 80% price increase over everything else there* :shock:

I am hoping that the store has more sense and more taste. I am sure there will be some 'celebration' set for the SP like their was for the EP Showtime (the hypotizer and clothing) that everyone could use when they release the KPST, but at least with the ice cream maker and the fryer they avoided pink fluffiness and did not stamp KP's name on it.

At least this week we are not getting Katy Perry Pink but Goth Black and White. http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/SimGuruTaterTot/myBlog

I hope other then something connected with the release the store will not carry on with the whole endorsement and marking campaign a la KP. I think the store might be a bit more in tune with just how well KP is going down out here and they do sell most of their items to people who post here, so I doubt they want to end out iwth poor sales because someone twists their arm to do pink.

Count on whatever they sell to celebrate the release of the KPST, though, to be overpriced because if her name is connected to it we would have to pay her endorsement fee. If that is when a candy store register appears as the premium celebration content then I will buy that and make a store from what I got with Showtime, and then have a reason not to miss buying everything sims except KPST.
    You think $29.99 is bad? Over here in the UK it's £24.99 which works out at approx $39! :shock: Think they'll sell many at that price lol?! Not to me they won't and I am an avid collector of the Sims, I have them all - Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3, plus Simcities and various console versions but I certainly don't have mug stamped on my forehead!!

I was shocked when I heard what the KPST was going for in the UK, and that it equaled what we pay here for an EP (without an endorsement on it) and close to what an EP usually goes for in the UK. The count of the items in the catalog they said would show all the stuff in the KPST so we could see how much more we were getting is still 89 items, 18 more then in Town Life which I understand the UK paid the usual SP price for. I don't think that equals 'dozens and dozens' of more content so I am not sure what EA is charging that much for unless with taxes and customs and fees paid KP for EU or the UK are outrageous when there is an endorsement involved. Not sure how popular she is in the UK that they think that at that price it will sell well.

I wonder how well the pre-orders are going with KPST in the UK?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2012
    The price makes no difference to me. I plan to just wait for it to go on sale anyway.
    34336_s.gif
  • sharena333sharena333 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited May 2012
    It is $29.99 because it has way more stuff in it than any other Stuff Pack. :D :P :wink:
    They said it in the Sims 3 Katy Perry's Sweet Treats live chat.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2012
    sharena333 wrote:
    It is $29.99 because it has way more stuff in it than any other Stuff Pack. :D :P :wink:

It doesn't have nearly enough in it to justify THAT increase in price.
    raw
    edited May 2012
    sharena333 wrote:

They would have to show me more then 18 more items to qualify it being 10 dollars more. They said dozens and dozens more to justify the price and 18 is not dozens and dozens more then we have ever seen in a stuff pack. Town Life had the most up until now - 71 items, not counting patterns and it was $19.99. that is about 35 items for $10 dollars. With KPST we are paying, if this is true, another $10 for 18 more items. And 18 is less then 2 dozen, not dozens and dozens.

When a celeb puts their name on something like this it is to recommend, from their experience, that the product is good and you should buy it, which is called an endorsement. No one endorses a product for free and its obvious the EA did not want to pay a fee for KP's endorsement out of their $19.99 and past the cost on to the consumer - us. This whole "super stuff pack with dozens and dozens more content" only came about after people started complaining about the cost of KP's endorsement.

That is the same reason why, if you got the Katy Perry endorsed copy of Showtime, you paid $10.00 more for a game that had the same content as the regular edition of the EP.
    edited May 2012
    Compared to many of the store sets though, this is still a great deal. I love the october compilation. It comes with a lot of great stuff. 63 items ( which includes a venue ). It was $38.

This stuff pack contains many of the same items ( with different meshes obviously ), more venues, more clothing, and more items... and it costs a lot less. $30. Plus it is all 1 theme.

If you look at many other sets or compilations, the prices are even higher per item than the stuff pack.

So yeah, it does stink that this pack costs more. But it is still cheaper per item than many store set. Would I have paid full price for this stuff pack... no. But then again, I have never paid full price for any of EA's stuff packs or expansion packs. I still get all of them on release day though. The EA store sets, I end up waiting months for a daily deal.
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited May 2012
    piddlesim wrote:
    Compared to many of the store sets though, this is still a great deal. I love the october compilation. It comes with a lot of great stuff. 63 items ( which includes a venue ). It was $38.

This stuff pack contains many of the same items ( with different meshes obviously ), more venues, more clothing, and more items... and it costs a lot less. $30. Plus it is all 1 theme.

If you look at many other sets or compilations, the prices are even higher per item than the stuff pack.

So yeah, it does stink that this pack costs more. But it is still cheaper per item than many store set. Would I have paid full price for this stuff pack... no. But then again, I have never paid full price for any of EA's stuff packs or expansion packs. I still get all of them on release day though. The EA store sets, I end up waiting months for a daily deal.

The store gets away with that, though, because it does generally allow people to buy items individually. It's a feature I'm willing to pay more for. I'm not willing to pay more for a handful of extra items and a celebrity endorsement. Plus, the October compilation has the premium content gumball machine, which inflates the price.
  • pieceofme07pieceofme07 Posts: 348 New Member
    edited May 2012
    I dont care about the price i hope that there will be a collecter's edition:D
    edited May 2012
    There isn't going to be, of course, or we would already have heard. I wish there was a collector's edition as they did for the ST EP then those who just are not buying it for the price but otherwise like it could opt out of KP's name on the box and get it for the normal price like they did for ST. There are others that would buy it at any price if it just did not have her name on the box, they have said, so a KPC edition of KPST would mean they could get an opt out version without a name.

Essentially this P is one big collector's edition. Given the endorsement track record if they did a KPC edition of KPST there would be noting different in it except the name on the box and I be a lot of people that love the SP would go for the cheaper version even so.

Of course SP's never have had collector's editions that I remember but that is just the best reason KP wanted to do this SP, besides the advertisement of having it built around her - she knows she gets paid for every copy that sells, where with the EP ST she only made money if people bought the KPC collector's edition. People have quoted information that the KPC version did not sell as well as the regular version so she did not make the money off the endorsement of ST that I am sure she imagined - but she knows she will off the SP - we have no choice to opt out unless they made a collector's edition so if we buy it we are paying KP for her endorsement.

Do you think she would have done this without getting paid for it? She is obviously not that into the sims.
  • StumbleineStumbleine Posts: 84
    edited May 2012
    Is it just "stuff?" Are there no houses or shops?
    edited May 2012
    Stumbleine wrote:

Well, stuff packs are just that "stuff", or shall we say content.

In this case they do give 3 community lots lots in the SP. A hangout, a community pool and a playground. No houses or building shells. No shops since shops would require functional changes to the in game register to sell things and a SP cannot make functional changes or animation changes (so said the Producer in the live chat).

However they did make a change to the fireworks and you are getting them in this SP. They were originally in WA, but have been updated with new options to set off an new animations. Otherwise its just stuff, decor, furniture, wallpaper, patterns, hairstyles, clothing, maybe some accessories.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2012
    stormwench wrote:
    Stumbleine wrote:

Well, stuff packs are just that "stuff", or shall we say content.

In this case they do give 3 community lots lots in the SP. A hangout, a community pool and a playground. No houses or building shells. No shops since shops would require functional changes to the in game register to sell things and a SP cannot make functional changes or animation changes (so said the Producer in the live chat).

However they did make a change to the fireworks and you are getting them in this SP. They were originally in WA, but have been updated with new options to set off an new animations. Otherwise its just stuff, decor, furniture, wallpaper, patterns, hairstyles, clothing, maybe some accessories.

Certainly nothing to justify the price tag!

PS: I don't know if you've seen the thread in the gifting forum, but Thank you for gifting me the Magic Cauldron stormwench!
    raw
    edited May 2012
    Sigh, I know, I just can't get beyond the price tag.

Someday it will be free. Showtime is already selling on Origins for a 20% discount maybe KPST will drop down quickly too.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited May 2012
    I don't know why it's so expensive but can speculate about it. :)

I'm gonna wait until it's cheaper. It's not worth the price tag even if I like most of the items. :)
    edited May 2012
    On the chat day... check online stores. Many store do a preorder sale on the live chat days.

Amazon did this with the other live chat. They had a preorder sale for the day of the live chat.That is how I got mine $10 off. I believe gogamer.com did too.

So for those who want the pack right away and want it at a cheaper price, there are usually sales.