Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else watch "Touch" and also very, VERY afraid?

I've been watching the TV show "Touch". There's a running storyline through all the episodes about 2 Japanese girls and their travels. It starts with them in a club surrounded by other young adults dressed just like them....as frilly little girls sporting every pink, sparkly Barbie accessory they can fit on their bodies! They arrive at an event in the US, dressed in their short tutu like dresses, thigh-high stockings and Barbie, Barbie, Barbie. And it hit me...THIS! THIS is exactly where EA is headed! THIS is what they think we want! Young semi-adult women dressed as little girls acting out a Barbie fantasy! Be afraid, be very, very afraid. Then slowly back away....and return to The Sims 2.

Comments

• shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited April 2012
    Ok people need to stop freaking out about this SP. It's just a video game stuff pack. Just because I dress my sims like this doesn't mean I'm going to go out and be a s!_t in real life. Just like if I read a book about vampires doesn't mean I'm going to want to become one, or watching a TV where underage drinking occurs doesn't mean I'm going to go out and follow their example. There is a difference between this and real life. It's just a game. And if you don't like it then don't buy it.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited April 2012
    But... but~ I look good in pink! :(

Cimmeria.jpg
  • stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited April 2012
    shogunfish wrote:
    Ok people need to stop freaking out about this SP. It's just a video game stuff pack. Just because I dress my sims like this doesn't mean I'm going to go out and be a s!_t in real life. Just like if I read a book about vampires doesn't mean I'm going to want to become one, or watching a TV where underage drinking occurs doesn't mean I'm going to go out and follow their example. There is a difference between this and real life. It's just a game. And if you don't like it then don't buy it.

Please don't be telling people that don't like this SP to stop posting their opinions. You have the right to your opinion about it but not the right to tell others that they cannot have their opinion. If people want to freak out about it; see it as a bad attempt to go for this demographic; think its taking sims in the wrong direction they have the right to post it.

There is no rule in this forum that's says that people that have a problem with this SP cannot post and just those that don't can post. Its one thing to say "I won't turn into one", which is not really what the OP said, but if she wants to comment on how EA is going after a demographic that will change how the sims are then she has the right to say it without being told she is freaking out or to stop her comments because of that.
    edited April 2012
    "Wha.... More Pink? The horror!"

Rose2.jpg

• shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited April 2012
    I'm sorry if I've offended you. What I want to say is that all I see is negativity. It's one thing to say "I don't like this for my game" or something along those lines, but "be afraid" sounds kind of like a command. There are some people who like the SP, and It's seems more like the people who think positively about the EP are being lashed out against. If you want the negativity to stop then "you aren't letting people express their opinion" if people want to have some threads about how much they dislike the SP but every time somebody has a new idea about why it's bad or what wrong with it or why it's inappropriate they make a new thread and bump up another thread and rant and blah blah blah. People who don't think it's the worst thing in the world are allowed to have an opinion about it too.

Edit: The way she said "acting out a barbie fantasy" made it sound like they were influencing people to be like Barbie. I guess I miss understood it a little bit, but at the same time I've seen numerous threads about what a bad influence it is. I know its not intended to be an influence, but a lot of people seem to see it that way.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
    edited April 2012
    "Yes. Yes- tell me more. Pink sounds so coool!"

snapshot_5455ab1e_1456b9cf.jpg
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited April 2012
    I've been watching the TV show "Touch". There's a running storyline through all the episodes about 2 Japanese girls and their travels. It starts with them in a club surrounded by other young adults dressed just like them....as frilly little girls sporting every pink, sparkly Barbie accessory they can fit on their bodies! They arrive at an event in the US, dressed in their short tutu like dresses, thigh-high stockings and Barbie, Barbie, Barbie. And it hit me...THIS! THIS is exactly where EA is headed! THIS is what they think we want! Young semi-adult women dressed as little girls acting out a Barbie fantasy! Be afraid, be very, very afraid. Then slowly back away....and return to The Sims 2.

I'm fairly sure that everything in TS3 is not going to be sparkly and pink from now on. Especially if some of the rumors about upcoming EPs or SPs are true.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2012
    That Japanese Style you speak of is huge in Japan, so I would be careful about seeing it as something it is not - you may offend a whole lot of Simmers. In fact many of the Japanese sites have been having those kind of outfits for Sims since early in the Sims 2. They look at it as a style and that's their thing - imagine what many think of some of our American styles?

Me, I like it all. For my Sims - not me of course - much too old for stuff like that, and I was always the Cowgirl kind of style and Bohemian. But it is just a style. Besides the real life people I have seen in those kind of styles look cute. I have granddaughters (4 of them, ages - 7-18 ) I wish would be more interested in those things than the dark, Gothic granny looking stuff they think is so cool. They remind me of the young girl that was in Beetlejuice. Think I'd rather see them in happy Japanese kids things. But like this game - I am glad EA offers us choices as it is obvious we have a whole bunch of varieties in tastes - so if you don't like something - I am sure they will eventually come up with something you like.

So far the only set i didn't get was the roaring Twenties clothing (Could not stand the mens high waisted pants - too Steve Urkel) or the first Victorian set way early in the Sims 3. I have like everything else and have them all in my game. Like Rflong I look forward to this very cheerful and happy looking SP.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited April 2012
    To the OP: That style is huge in Japan. It is called Harajuku. It also is part of the Gothic Lolita (also called gothic loli) Visual Kei, Ganguro, Gyaru, Kogal, and "cute" Kawaii styles of clothing.

If you google any of those terms you will see that those styles are all the rage in Japan. It has absolutely nothing to do with Barbie. Guys and girls of all ages ( even old folks ) wear this style of clothing. There is a whole culture around it. So I would be very careful about bashing it or mocking it. You are likely to get a lot of simmers very upset.
  • PsychoMasterXPsychoMasterX Posts: 2,553 New Member
    edited April 2012
    go to a manga convention people always dress like that
  • Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2012
    In Japan
    harajuku211.jpg
    orig-12788651.jpg
    harajuku-fashion6.jpg
    745610863_2dba657679.jpg

In U.S
    tumblr_lrxkgdx1oX1qedd8co1_400.jpg
    715761.jpg
    kandikids.jpg

oh look at that, it's not just japanese 12 year old kids that dress like that
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited April 2012

This is called Harujuku and was around long before Katy Perry :)
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited April 2012
    I'm not a big fan of pink and all the pink I'm seeing around here these days make me think the Sims have been hosed down with Peto Bismol.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited April 2012
    I love my female sims dressed in pink (occasionally). I don't know what the big deal is about pink and a little bit of frill. I think clothes like that are cute, and so what if a YA wears it?
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited April 2012

Nah, that type of thing has been around quite a while. What you're describing is lolita fashion and it's been around since the late '70s at least. Search for Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. They are a lolita brand, their clothes are really cute. They were featured in the movie Kamikaze Girls.
    34336_s.gif
    edited April 2012
    TtnFn04 wrote:
    I love my female sims dressed in pink (occasionally). I don't know what the big deal is about pink and a little bit of frill. I think clothes like that are cute, and so what if a YA wears it?

When I posted this right before your post.

"I'm not a big fan of pink and all the pink I'm seeing around here these days make me think the Sims have been hosed down with Pepto Bismol."

I probably should have said that I can't stand pink and it makes me think the Sims have been hosed down with Pepto Bismol. I'm just not a "girly" female and it does not appeal to me at all.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited April 2012
    TtnFn04 wrote:

When I posted this right before your post.

"I'm not a big fan of pink and all the pink I'm seeing around here these days make me think the Sims have been hosed down with Pepto Bismol."

I probably should have said that I can't stand pink and it makes me think the Sims have been hosed down with Pepto Bismol. I'm just not a "girly" female and it does not appeal to me at all.

lol, all I know is sometimes I dress my sims as 'girly', and sometimes they wear more 'tom-boyish' outfits. Everyone's different in how they like to dress/how they like their sims to dress. :P

edit: I do like the Lolita clothes, for the most part. I mean, for my sims. :lol:
  • PaisleyPinkPaisleyPink Posts: 421 Member
    edited April 2012
    Like others pointed out, the style you're referring to is Harujuku.. I honestly think that the store team has already covered that with the Street Couture sets. Maybe it's not exact but it's really close.

I kind of like that EA did something so.. unique. There are already so many "normal" items and clothing in the game that I know I won't be missing more everyday objects. :) I know I won't use all of them, that's for sure. But there are a few that I like quite a bit.

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2012
    Oh I love those pics of those happy young kids in all their bright and non-gloomy looking style. That's what kids should be bright and happy and just plain crazy fun. What I would give to see my 4 granddaughter leave their dark gloomy look for some of this stuff. Hmmmm, maybe I need to send them to Japan for Summer Vacation. hehehe

Seeing they all "live on facebook 24/7", I should post them a link to the pages here with all the picture and say "hint, hint". hehehe

Lets face it people, like the style or not, those are some adorable and happy looking kids. I love HAPPY!!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures - i did get all the style EA has put out like this and use these sets a lot - Males and female sets. Yes and on the YA's too. Why not?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited April 2012
    Heehehehheeee~ :mrgreen:

Thinking back- I would have loved to dressed like that as a teen- except I was a tomboy and just wore jeans/nice shirt (wasn't allowed t-shirts)... :(

Reading all this lately- I noticed I didn't have any pink clothes at all! So while out last weekend I bought me a pastel pink sweat shirt for jogging and and t-shirt with a big glittery heart on it.

Now I'm ready to play some Sweet Treats Stuff pack. :mrgreen:
    edited April 2012
    My taste must have something to do with my teen years. It was a time of funky, mismatched furniture painted in all sorts of colors, hanging ferns, exotic east Indian prints, exposed brick and rooms done with personal style and imagination. My mother did my bedroom in pink and white wallpaper with white and gold French Provincial furniture. I think it scarred me for life. :shock:
  • deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited April 2012
    THANK you stormwench! This was a tongue-in-cheek post about the narrowing scope of a game some of us have been playing for years. The "fantasy" of the Sims USED to be the endless possiblity of experiences we could create for our sims. We are being funneled more and more tightly into a very limited genre. The game offers SO many tools for customization that are being rendered USELESS! Build that pink world to your heart's content. But leave the rest of us AT LEAST the opportunity to build that same world, with the same items, to suit our OWN taste. There isn't ANY amount of color or pattern change that can disguise the fact that a chair is a cupcake, or a couch is a hotdog!!! This is about limiting the customizable ITEMS themselves. It's getting to the point that unless you subscribe to a this particular style, you're up vanilla pudding creek without a candy cane paddle!
    edited April 2012
    THANK you stormwench! This was a tongue-in-cheek post about the narrowing scope of a game some of us have been playing for years. The "fantasy" of the Sims USED to be the endless possiblity of experiences we could create for our sims. We are being funneled more and more tightly into a very limited genre. The game offers SO many tools for customization that are being rendered USELESS! Build that pink world to your heart's content. But leave the rest of us AT LEAST the opportunity to build that same world, with the same items, to suit our OWN taste. There isn't ANY amount of color or pattern change that can disguise the fact that a chair is a cupcake, or a couch is a hotdog!!! This is about limiting the customizable ITEMS themselves. It's getting to the point that unless you subscribe to a this particular style, you're up vanilla pudding creek without a candy cane paddle!

I actually don't believe this. Of course some stuff packs will fit in only a narrow style but to have the style available is what's important too.

I wouldn't use some styles for anything but what they are but others lend themselves to something else.

If all you want is bland so you can CASt then the base game is fine. This is a pack to give the options to make the Cupcake chair. Without it there IS NO cupcake chair no matter how you CASt a normal chair.

So, you can look at it from both sides.... Without it there is no cupcake chair even though you can't make a cupcake chair normal. :)
  • crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited April 2012
    This kind of style looks cute on anime characters but not on real people >_<.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited April 2012
    You guys crack me up. ONE stuff pack comes out full of cupcakes and cream puffs and stuffed with pink, and it's like Armageddon for you. Ahhh it's an ice cream couch! It's the END of my sim world! The end of the Sims as we know it! Don't force ice cream content on me NOOOOO oh wait.. that's right.. it's a stuff pack. It's totally not being forced upon anyone.

Such a minor detail, I almost forgot. :roll:

Rflong, I like how you think. I agree!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg