Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA needs to make yet ANOTHER PATCH. Windows 8 users cant play SIMS 3

THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING
I have the newest OS ...Windows 8
and Sims 3 doesnt even work on it.
All of my stats (drivers, RAM, processors) blow the game requirements out of the water.
The ONLY PROBLEM is that i have the newest OS.
This would mean id have to DOWNGRADE to windows 7.
Well that isnt going to happen.
Until EA can make a magical patch for more advanced computers....who have windows 8......
i will not buy any more ea games.

Comments

• DonnaclusDonnaclus Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    It is not Electronic Art's fault, it's Microsoft. Almost no earlier software is compatible with Windows 8- and it is more of a tablet OS. Microsoft is the one having to improve compatibility or else I am not updating to Windows 8. They are so not pulling another Vista on me.
  • bmunn88bmunn88 Posts: 425 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Donnaclus wrote:
    It is not Electronic Art's fault, it's Microsoft. Almost no earlier software is compatible with Windows 8- and it is more of a tablet OS. Microsoft is the one having to improve compatibility or else I am not updating to Windows 8. They are so not pulling another Vista on me.

This is correct, It has nothing to do with EA, Its Microsoft.
    There is alot of feedback about this.. no just Sims players having issues
  • bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited April 2012
    Win 8 is only out in beta and probably what you have is a consumer preview version. The actual retail product may be very different. I don't do beta versions except on a test machine. You don't have the latest OS as Win 8 has not been officially released to market. I recommend using Win 7
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited April 2012
    It will take some time before all game companies have updated their games to run on windows 8. It is like that with most games when a new OS is released, the same thing happen when Windows 7 were new.

You should have checked if sims could run on windows 8 before getting the OS.

But give it time, EA is planning on making sims run on windows 8, they just need time to adjust the game to it.
  • cameranutz2cameranutz2 Posts: 941 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Considering the final version of the OS isn't even officially scheduled for release til late 2012 it is highly unlikely Sims, or most other games for that matter, are compatible. So no need yet to start demanding they "fix" the game. I'm sure it will be done when the time comes.

In the meantime, use an OS that has been officially released and you can play.

• AelingQueenAelingQueen Posts: 235 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Wow, I wanna know why you're even bothering with an OS that's not even officially out yet...They still aint got the kinks for Windows 7 worked out! Eh, go back to 7 or Vista and wait another year or so until TS3 is actually cleared to play on 8...
  • SimJeff525SimJeff525 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited April 2012
    This is from Microsoft's EULA for Windows 8 preview version:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

b. Term. The term of this agreement will expire on 01/15/2013 ("the expiration date"). You have no right to use the software after the expiration date. Starting from the expiration date, you may not be able to access any saved data used with the software. Any applications you receive through the Windows Store will also cease to be available to you in future versions, unless they are made available for re-download and you re-acquire them. You may not receive any other notice.

Why do you want to use an operating system that's going to stop working in 9 months?

Go to Control Panel, System, View detail in Windows Activation and
    click on View Microsoft Software License Term if you want to read it.
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited April 2012
    Why would you beta test an OS on the same machine that you want to game on?

No, of course it isn't compatable. It isn't released yet. EA probably couldn't even release a patch if they wanted to. My guess is that it would be illegal.
  • Purplefreak3Purplefreak3 Posts: 583 Member
    edited April 2012
    I do not feel sorry for the OP and don't think other are going to either cause you a using a beta OS and treating it like it a final version.
    stl420chik wrote:
    THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING
    All of my stats (drivers, RAM, processors) blow the game requirements out of the water.

Oh and your computer does not meet the system requirements because it does not say anything about support for Windows 8
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited April 2012
    I do not feel sorry for the OP and don't think other are going to either cause you a using a beta OS and treating it like it a final version.
    stl420chik wrote:
    THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING

Oh and your computer does not meet the system requirements because it does not say anything about support for Windows 8
    This...^ No I don't feel sorry for the OP. Sims 3 wasn't tested with Win8.
    No company (including EA), would ever think about testing/supporting their software with a beta version of an OS. :?
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • niecee4niecee4 Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2012
    Yes, you all are very right. And i did some more research.
    Im just a sad simmer and i just want to playyyyy!
    :(
  • niecee4niecee4 Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2012
    And im sorry to everyone if i sounded "cocky"
    I was very upset :P
    lol
    what is life without SIMS! :):)
  • MARCELLINO1617MARCELLINO1617 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited May 2012
    this is no longer a problem for me. but at first, game did't load, unknown error.
    to fix that. delete all sims 3 game and re add them all over. problem solved for me.

when in game screen, seen missing area, they where black.
    to fix that. down that update and re update it from device manger.

solved. just update the video card. for win 8.

>>>>>>>>>> [url] http://michaelnescobar.com/TECH12.html <<<<<<<<<

AMD Catalyst™ Drivers Windows® 8 Consumer Preview
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

Hardware

AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series
    AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
    AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series
    AMD Radeon HD 6000M Series
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
    AMD A-Series APU
    AMD C-Series APU
    AMD E-Series APU
    AMD FirePro V9800
    AMD FirePro V7900
    AMD FirePro V7900 SDI
    AMD FirePro V7800P
    AMD FirePro V5900
    AMD FirePro V4900
    AMD FirePro V3900
    ATI FirePro V9800
    ATI FirePro V8800
    ATI FirePro V7800
    ATI FirePro V5800
    ATI FirePro V5800 DVI
    ATI FirePro V4800
    ATI FirePro V3800
    AMD FirePro 2270
    ATI FirePro 2460 Multi-View
    AMD FirePro M8900
    AMD FirePro M5950
    AMD FirePro M3900
    ATI FirePro M7820
    ATI FirePro M5800
    Operating Systems

Windows 8 32-bit Edition
    Windows 8 64-bit Edition[/url]
  • crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Donnaclus wrote:

I remember that nightmare! Ooooh windows vista and its shiny new look, but when you download something you have to spend hours upon hours just to figure out how it would work on your computer since vista is not compatible with anything at the time it came out. Windows 7 <3 XD

Although OP I hope you get to play TS3 on your pc, the only thing is I don't think it's right for anyone to blame that on EA since I don't really see anywhere that EA promises that TS3 would work on windows 8. So either Microsoft has to work on it or you can wait patiently for a patch from EA.
    edited May 2012
    yea, im playing it now lol. work ok.no crashes. get the setting all the way up :)
    even thou windows 8 a evaluation copy, pc programmer will fine a way to bypass the time limit lol. messing with the files to fine the problem lol take some time, u know? my pc costed $1,107,00. use it for everything. sure a patch could chsnge things,if ea make one. think they only make patchs, when they a problem in the game. like your sims not post to walk thour walls lol.

750GB HDD
    8GB RAM
    ATI RADEON HD 6570 1GB,something
    INTEL CORE I7 2630QM 2.00GHz (2.60GHz tubo)
    no ssd
  • emzeo85emzeo85 Posts: 365 Member
    edited May 2012
    you can change your compatibility settings on you comp without having to down grade it. i forgotten how to do it but if you look on google im sure there be instructions there
    edited May 2012
    yea, i can, put it on Win 7 or xp (service pack 3) compatibility settings.
    i have ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 5000(ENGINEEING SAMPLE-WDDMv 1.20

before the update, they was problem with the game.
    like: in options/graphics, ketp resting it self to the lowest setting.

AMD Catalyst™ Drivers Windows® 8 Consumer Preview
    Full WDDM 1.2
    Highlights include:
    Native Stereo 3D support: Windows 8 will natively support Stereo 3D for full-screen and windowed gaming, and video applications
    Unified Video API – Video playback is now integrated within the DirectX® 11 API; enabling simultaneous high quality Video and 3D content, and the potential for enhanced video transcoding performance
    Optimized screen rotation
    improved sleep / resume performance
    Optimized Power Consumption

AMD Eyefinity
    OpenCL™
    OpenGL
    UVD
    AMD Dual Graphics / AMD CrossFire™ Technology
    AMD Overdrive™
    AMD Catalyst Control Center / Vision Engine Control Center

A future AMD Catalyst Windows 8 driver release that adds support for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 Series, and AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series is planned for the coming weeks.

Applicable Products for Driver Version 8.93.7 RC10:
    applies to the following configuration(s):

Hardware:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series
    AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
    AMD Radeon HD 7000M Series
    AMD Radeon HD 6000M Series
    AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
    AMD A-Series APU
    AMD C-Series APU
    AMD E-Series APU
    AMD FirePro V9800
    AMD FirePro V7900
    AMD FirePro V7900 SDI
    AMD FirePro V7800P
    AMD FirePro V5900
    AMD FirePro V4900
    AMD FirePro V3900
    ATI FirePro V9800
    ATI FirePro V8800
    ATI FirePro V7800
    ATI FirePro V5800
    ATI FirePro V5800 DVI
    ATI FirePro V4800
    ATI FirePro V3800
    AMD FirePro 2270
    ATI FirePro 2460 Multi-View
    AMD FirePro M8900
    AMD FirePro M5950
    AMD FirePro M3900
    ATI FirePro M7820
    ATI FirePro M5800
    Operating Systems

Windows 8 32-bit Edition
    Windows 8 64-bit Edition

other stuff>>

http://launcherapi.thesims3.com/community/news.html?selMonth=4&selYear=2012&intcmp=eaint268

Store content patch V 1.1
    POSTED ON 05/14/12 05:30 PM

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited May 2012
    I played The Sims 3 on Windows 8 and it seems to work. You can check out this video and see that I have TS3 Showtime running on Windows 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEYNYT-e4B0

You can also comment about the results of your game. If you encounter glitches (like I did), try using Compatibility Mode.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited August 2012
    I had it working on Win 8 with no problems. Now, it's not working. Not sure what the deal is. It's not the first time I have used a beta copy of an OS. I work in the tech industry and usually would like to know before people start asking me questions about a new OS. I'm assuming a patch was released that made it inoperable.
  • agibearsagibears Posts: 60 New Member
    edited August 2012
    The graphics are totally messed up on windows 8 preview... Which means I can not buy anymore Sims 3 games... as for those that say EA is not at fault... game designers know that windows programs change as fast as people change their underwear and they should anticipate the changes... For the "the windows 8 expires January 2013" It is only the preview... not windows 8... according to my order to upgrade to windows 8 it does not even come out until October... so it appears that you have the "PREVIEW".

I am very hopeful that EA and Windows will find a way to fix this issue and hopefully before Supernatural comes out!!! In the meantime, if you know how I can get the graphics to work.... I sure would appreciate information! I am having "withdrawals"!!!
  • AlidarAlidar Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Windows 8 also has DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings, just like windows 7, when upgrading or installing fresh, the DEP settings start at the same defaults that usually cause the sims 3 to be unplayable on windows 7, so what you need to do is go to the "System" option in the "Control Panel" then pick "Advanced System Settings" on the left side bar then choose the "advanced" tab then choose the performance settings button, then pick the "Data Execution Prevention" Tab, then pick the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" choice button, then click the "ADD" button and go to "\The Sims 3\Game\Bin" in your main sims 3 install folder and choose the "TS3W.exe" file, then select "APLY" then "OK".

This worked for me, hope it works for others
  • JackInYourStockJackInYourStock Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Im just angry because i was able to play it last night somehow and then today i couldn't get it working so i was bored. all they have to freakin do is update it for the Windows 8 users :x
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2013
    Im just angry because i was able to play it last night somehow and then today i couldn't get it working so i was bored. all they have to freakin do is update it for the Windows 8 users :x

sorry to hear, I know win 8 players who are able to play so just want to check to see if you have reviewed postings here and tried options...good luck
  • Simst3rSimst3r Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2013
    I wonder why all of you are having problems with Windows 8...
    I have it, and it runs fine on my comp. Until a new patch comes out and ruins things, but there's always a fix around it.
  • LynarielaLynariela Posts: 3,297 Member
    edited March 2013
    I would definitely recommend running the game in compatibility mode. I'm not sure if the method is at all the same in Windows 8 as it is for Windows 7, but at least in Windows 7 you would right-click on the icon you're using the launch the game, go to "Properties", the "Compatibility" tab, check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and select an appropriate alternative (like Windows 7). A few people have reported that running the game in compatibility mode helped anything from general issues to excessive framerates.
    Twitter, Twitch, and Gallery ID - Lynariela