Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems With Recoloured Trees: Now With Pictures!

Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
I have just Recoloured some maples for my new world and they turned out excellent, but there's a problem-the trees look great from right next to them, but when you zoom out at all, they get really sharpened in terms of detail! Anybody got any solutions? Simsample? Auntielynds? Rflong? Anyone?

Comments

• simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2012
    Hey Lennon, can you show a picture? What file format did you save the textures as? Did you change the alpha at all?
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Here's some pictures of the problem;
    scaled.php?server=221&filename=caw2012040811563253y.jpg&res=landing
    Exhibit A: Trees are unrealistically sharpened (It's more visible when in CAW of EIG.)

scaled.php?server=694&filename=caw2012040811564781.jpg&res=landing
    Exhibit B: There are weird white outlines on the trees when you zoom away.

As for the format I saved them in, I'm unsure as to that, as I use a different computer for CAW & image editing than the one I'm posting this on-would you please tell me what I need to save it in so I could avoid future headaches?
    edited April 2012
    Probably DXT 1 or 5 with mipmaps. It looks like maybe you have the wrong format, so the low detail textures are rendering incorrectly. Do you have a sample texture you could upload? If so then I could compare it to the game texture and see. Let me know which tree it is too so that I can find it in the game files!
    RUSH
    My Worlds
    edited April 2012
    OHMYGODIMSTUPID!
    I set the compression to none and didn't generate mipmaps!
    Here's the textures so far, by the way;
    http://www.mediafire.com/?n7a9wugrgryu6it

EDIT: It's the fall maples that came with pets (TreeMapleFall, I think.)
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, it's the file format. Yours are 32bit ARGB8 unmipped, whereas the originals are DXT5 mipmapped.

If you save them as the correct format it will look a lot better. :)

Edited to add- also, I'm not sure why you decided to cut out the leaf shapes? You don't need to do that, the alpha will define the leaf shape. So just leave the images as they are but change the colour/hue. It could be that you hyave some white showing in the way you cut the leaves, which will make it look odd also.
    RUSH
    My Worlds
    edited April 2012
    Thank you simsample-Ican always count on you with knowing something about this!
  • victorpaulovictorpaulo Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Hey Lennon,

Hope you are well.

The recolored maple tree looks great, did you managed to fix it?

If so would you mind sending it to me as I've been looking all over for this but can't find it anywhere.

Thank you