Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wraparound Porch?

RoaneRoane Posts: 204 Member
Can someone explain to me (or point me to a tutorial for) how to create a wraparound porch? (Example in Anjubee's beautiful creation here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=444806). When I've tried to do something like this, the roof always ends up intersecting the living space above. I tried searching the forums, but with no luck.
The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
Origin ID: Tairgire

Comments

• Rib640Rib640 Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2009
    Yes, the roof intersects the living space above, but not if you put another roof over that living space. :wink: I hope that answered your question!
  • RoaneRoane Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow, thanks. I just saw the intersecting and stopped, rather than trying to continue. I'll try that tonight. Thanks!
    The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
  • Rib640Rib640 Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2009
    You're welcome. Did it work? :-)
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, my baby girl (the real life one, not the Sims one) was requiring a lot of attention last night so I only got as far as building the first story. I'm hoping to finish tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll update here and show you how it went. :)
    edited July 2009
    No luck yet. It didn't seem to work, and I'm out of time for the night.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to try to place the walls for the second story after I have the roof on the first story where it's supposed to be wrapping around. (Tonight, I'd placed the second-story walls, then placed the first-story roof, and then the second-story roof.)
  • AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
    edited July 2009
    Hi Roane!

I'll try to see if I can explain this through words. If you don't get what I mean, I'll put up a quick video tutorial for you to help out! It is a bit tricky and you need to know the individual slope roofing trick.

Here's a nice little tutorial by Mch36504 to explain the trick. http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=31104

Basically, this is what I did for that house.

I built the entire house, first floor and second floor with the roofing completely off. The first roof I tackled was the roof over the covered patio. To make it less confusing, I put flooring where I wanted the roof to cover the patio like this..

roofing1.jpg

I then pieced the roof together using 2 roof types.

roofing2.jpg

The left part of the roof is just a regular gable roof, which stops at just where it hits the house. The second part of the roof at the front is just a half gabled roof, which I placed up against the house too. After the 2 were placed, I adjusted the roof angle down low enough so I could get windows above the roof line. If I saw any walls from the roof that jutted into the house, I just removed the walls I didn't want inside the house and the roofing stays put outside. Then using the individual roofing trick linked above, I did the rest of the roofing up top.

Hope that helps you a bit! Glad you liked my house!! :mrgreen:
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the help! The good news: I tried that and it worked wonderfully! The bad news: It won't help on the build I'm trying right now (though it will for one of the next couple I have planned) because the wraparound goes around an octagonal out jut. (It's a Queen Anne style house.)