Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rabit hole room markers....

This would be extremely helpful for builders and world creators. If they gave us a room marker that you could set to a specific rabit hole, that could be awesome. Diners, spas, business, city hall etc. We could build highrises to handle a majority of our sims professions. Am I the only one who wants this?
& http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
-my nickname was taken on twitter :(
dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png

Comments

• Options
    wizplacewizplace Posts: 1,820 Member
    edited March 2012
    And walking away...
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2012
    I agree, exotickitten.
    It would allow builders to create rabbitholes which actually fit in with any certain themes world creators may have planned for their towns. It would also save so much room in smaller worlds, especially with so many community lots which need to be added if you want the complete sims experience. Those 60x60 rabbithole lots take up so much room.
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited March 2012
    Johnnywr wrote:
    I agree, exotickitten.
    It would allow builders to create rabbitholes which actually fit in with any certain themes world creators may have planned for their towns. It would also save so much room in smaller worlds, especially with so many community lots which need to be added if you want the complete sims experience. Those 60x60 rabbithole lots take up so much room.

Exactly!!! I don't see it functioning well for the equestrian center, clubs or live show venues. But most of the regular businesses/rabit holes would be nice. I think with multifunction buildings, i imagine it would have to be similar to apartments. You go into a lobby and click an elevator button to chose which floor, and set that floor to the destination with a room marker. Or do it from map view. But for highrises, you could build your library, gym, and consignment, or salon on say the bottom 3 floors, and all the others are rabbit holes. Wouldn't it be cool if the rabbit holes also had a basement function. LOL. Where the rabbit holes were under a building. LMAO. You could build down. Each basement level got a different room marker per rabbit hole. And one elevator goes down. That would be sweet too.
    Either way, the rabbit hole room marker would have to be attached to an elevator.

They did apartments and tombs in WA, I don't see why this would be soo difficult.
    wizplace wrote:
    And walking away...

Was that necessary? :( In a way I get it. I guess a lot of people want to do away with the rabbit holes all together, but that probably isn't going to happen. I want it for small caw worlds. I've been really wanting to do a small asian themed island, but I find it really hard. I mean with late night and now showtime, it's hard to do.
  • Options
    BlackVenusFlytrapBlackVenusFlytrap Posts: 667
    edited March 2012
    Well, I totally agree that this is one of the most needed feature of TS3.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2012
    There *is* actually a mod for this. Someone named Lynx has created a bunch of rugs that are actually rabbit hole markers. I found them on Custom Sims 3. But it would be nice if the Sims Team did it, much the same way that they now have the markers for the public areas of apartments. These rugs are not tied to elevators.

And it is possible to put rabbithole buildings in the basement...that's how some creators do it when they create new worlds.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2012
    Jarsie, I know some world creators use those rabbithole rugs (and doors), but most creators try to avoid using them if they share their worlds, as they know most downloaders are wary of non EA CC. Of course, to others, it`s not a problem. There is also the issue of rabbithole rugs and doors needing to be made compatible with each added EP.

Regards adding rabbithole buildings to basements, I have tried this myself in one of my worlds and there doesn`t seem to be a problem (as long as there is more than adequate access to the basement rabbithole). Still, the larger rabbitholes need larger lots to facilitate basement placing, and I guess that kind of betrays the purpose of asking for a rabbithole marker to add the larger rabbithole buildings to smaller lots to save space in worlds (particularly smaller worlds).

I`m thinking it could work in a similar way to apartment markers from Late Night (where rooms are designated as townie apartments or areas are designated as public or private)? I don`t know if it will happen, but it would be nice.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was just thinking it would be smoother to have them disappear into an elevator. But a door like in apartments works well for me too. Either way. I just want them. Not just for me, but for world creators. I could finally make really small hoods with minimal public lots. I was thinking one for the restaurant/grocery/spa. One for the theater/arena. One for the business/science/medical. One for police/military/political. You get the idea. I could then build small decorative/themed structures with a door for each and a marker inside a room. That would greatly reduce the size of and number of community lots. I personally would <3 this. 8)
  • Options
    PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    There *is* actually a mod for this. Someone named Lynx has created a bunch of rugs that are actually rabbit hole markers. I found them on Custom Sims 3. But it would be nice if the Sims Team did it, much the same way that they now have the markers for the public areas of apartments. These rugs are not tied to elevators.

And it is possible to put rabbithole buildings in the basement...that's how some creators do it when they create new worlds.

Actually, I think that person was named Jynx.

I'd love this feature. I used, and loved, the rugs, but it'd be easier to pop into buydebug and grab an orb. -shrugs- No CC needed that way.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Exactly. I might download lunar lakes just to highjack the rabbit hole tunnel thingies from it. They are small, I bet I could shove a bunch of them in a basement. >:] But I still think that a rabbit whole marker should be a given for the game. I personally would use the creamy sweet centers out of them. And I know a few builders who would really appreciate them too.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2012
    Exactly. I might download lunar lakes just to highjack the rabbit hole tunnel thingies from it. They are small, I bet I could shove a bunch of them in a basement. >:] But I still think that a rabbit whole marker should be a given for the game. I personally would use the creamy sweet centers out of them. And I know a few builders who would really appreciate them too.
    The problem with those when world building is that if the person who downloads doesn't have LL, then those rabbitholes will be replaced with rabbitholes they do have in their game.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The problem with those when world building is that if the person who downloads doesn't have LL, then those rabbitholes will be replaced with rabbitholes they do have in their game.

.. Then say LL is required? God, if they can make those rabbitholes, they can make markers.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2012
    Oh it is Jynx! Sorry, I misread the file name.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited March 2012
    I think having rabbithole markers would be a good idea.
    It would be nice to have smaller rabbitholes. That way the workplace lots could be smaller and permit the creation of open venue lots for restaurants. A small town wouldn't necessarily have large hospital, police station, military base, etc. in it.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited March 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:

.. Then say LL is required? God, if they can make those rabbitholes, they can make markers.
    But the problem with that is that people would still have to spend $22 to buy a world (that some of those people may not even use) just so that they can play yours.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:

But the problem with that is that people would still have to spend $22 to buy a world (that some of those people may not even use) just so that they can play yours.

-shrugs- I'm too paranoid to upload anything I make (images, lots.. yeah. Sucks.), I forget other people do. I know MTS gives you places to check what you need, and a lot of the time, there's store in houses. On the Exchange, it says what you need. If I were to upload anything, it'd be on my blog, and I'd do something like this-

Expansions

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Stuff Packs

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Store Content

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Third Party CC

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

.. Of course, with links to the store and 3PCC. (Too tired / lazy to actually write out anything under those. Enjoy the repetitive gibberish.)

I guess it depends, is it more of a world YOU wanted (like, my fiance wants a tiny little world with everything in it. I'd put those there, and whoever had a problem could suck it), or something that you want to share with other people? If you are the main reason you're making it, but feel like you wouldn't mind sharing it, just put the portals. If you're making it for other people to enjoy, get Jynx's rugs. (I know someone also added an equestrian center door thing, so you can probably find that on Google.)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There's no rule saying I have to upload a world I use store content in. :P The world I'm working on now has only the EP's for content. Not even any stuff packs. Do you know how much of a pain that is becoming? LOL It would be a lot easier if they just gave us the markers. I don't have any cc in my game, or mods, except for the store stuff. And I have loads of that. Last count was about 12 pages of pixellated crap. My hubby buys fancy yo-yos, and does fancy tricks with them. I play a simulator. None of my eps cost $90+ bucks, so I don't feel bad. Yeah, he really has one that was that expensive. :shock:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    There's no rule saying I have to upload a world I use store content in. :P The world I'm working on now has only the EP's for content. Not even any stuff packs. Do you know how much of a pain that is becoming? LOL It would be a lot easier if they just gave us the markers. I don't have any cc in my game, or mods, except for the store stuff. And I have loads of that. Last count was about 12 pages of pixellated crap. My hubby buys fancy yo-yos, and does fancy tricks with them. I play a simulator. None of my eps cost $90+ bucks, so I don't feel bad. Yeah, he really has one that was that expensive. :shock:

... Yo-yo... $90.... "really has"....

Wth. o_o I can't even..
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, when he bought that one I had to talk him down. He had his eyes on one that was $130. I just thought they would have gold or platinum trim or something for that price. But no. :?
  • Options
    khynneakhynnea Posts: 265 Member
    edited April 2012
    This would be extremely helpful for builders and world creators. If they gave us a room marker that you could set to a specific rabit hole, that could be awesome. Diners, spas, business, city hall etc. We could build highrises to handle a majority of our sims professions. Am I the only one who wants this?

Yes, please.

While doing away with rabbitholes and opening up game functionality *would* be ideal, this^^ is an immediate thing that they could add that would solve a lot of problems.

I just finished typing out that I realize EA probably won't go back and retrofit "old" careers and rabbitholes even if they continue to develop and release new venues and career type user experiences (I can hope though) for sims3... and that the best chance of true open gameplay will be in sims4.

And yes, I know about the rug markers. I went through that when I did my initial CAW experiment. But just as others mentioned, I won't use something like the rugs if there is even a slim chance I'll ever put the world on the exchange.

This is where you hope they intelligently designed rabbitholes on their end to begin with, and a rabbithole is an object that is of a type/class and ... that there is not a one to one correspondence between code objects and rabbitholes. Like it seems there are between gem/fish/seed spawners and spawner objects. Or do they think we're too stupid collectively to grab a spawner out of the bin, select type, and then a subtype? It'd be so much easier to find things that way since we aren't having to look in the first place...

But EA hasn't done much to prove to me that they separate presentation from functionality, or that they understand the significance of doing so :P
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited April 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    -shrugs- I'm too paranoid to upload anything I make (images, lots.. yeah. Sucks.), I forget other people do. I know MTS gives you places to check what you need, and a lot of the time, there's store in houses. On the Exchange, it says what you need. If I were to upload anything, it'd be on my blog, and I'd do something like this-

Expansions

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Stuff Packs

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Store Content

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

Third Party CC

-sdjkfhs
    -dkfjhdskf
    -asdkfjhasdkf
    -asdkfahjksd

.. Of course, with links to the store and 3PCC. (Too tired / lazy to actually write out anything under those. Enjoy the repetitive gibberish.)

I guess it depends, is it more of a world YOU wanted (like, my fiance wants a tiny little world with everything in it. I'd put those there, and whoever had a problem could suck it), or something that you want to share with other people? If you are the main reason you're making it, but feel like you wouldn't mind sharing it, just put the portals. If you're making it for other people to enjoy, get Jynx's rugs. (I know someone also added an equestrian center door thing, so you can probably find that on Google.)

Actually, I've experience several times where, on the exchange, it doesn't tell accurate info about what store content is used in a certain world/lot. I've made a few worlds now, and I made sure none of them had store content - they don't! - and yet it still says that store content is required.

It really frustrates me that this idea is continually being by-passed by EA. It is such a simple idea, so efficient ... *sigh* ... I don't have any issues with using CC or mods, I do actually have Jynx's rugs, but I refrain from using them in my worlds as there are so many people out there that are against CC. But, I could make versions of my worlds with CC and one with no CC. But that takes effort. :shock:
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited April 2012
    They'll never make room markers, simply for the fact that then they'll never be able to 'sell' their new rabbitholes.
    raw
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Evil_One wrote:
    They'll never make room markers, simply for the fact that then they'll never be able to 'sell' their new rabbitholes.

That's soo sad. But I can see there being some meat to it. Maybe they could make much much smaller rabbit holes for a future ep, and ones that are available in different colors/styles. That would at least be somewhat useful. Even if it was like a subway station that came in 3 or four colors. At least that could be used in multiple types of worlds. I love the ones in Lunar, but they only fit in a certain type of world.
  • Options
    WittyladyWittylady Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2012
    I for one would love this idea for rabbit hole markers.

I would love to build rabbitholes that look more British. I still haven't finished my British world for that reason. Some of the American styled buildings do not look "right" on a British setting.
    Some of the American architecture, although magnificent, is quite different.

I know that there is a mod for this but I don't like using mods or custom CC in my worlds
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    @conorsim
    Is it possible the store content you have in your game is premium content? If so that could be the mix up. The premium content can contain a mod, like the spell book did. The system might be reading the the premium attached mod, even if you didn't use the item in the lot. But I'm speculating. I don't know if this is really the case. (?) :? Regardless, the lot/world should still be usable by the person downloading it. The lot/world should install minus the store items.

@wittylady
    Exactly. I personally would love to finish my Asian world. As of now all my sims who live there have to grow and cook all their own food, and no one has a legit job. :(
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2012
    This is already possible with mods such as Jynx Rabbit holes over at MTS. With these rabbit hole markers, you can create your own customized rabbit holes. Folks have used these to make open venue schools, bakeries, etc.

edit:it's highly unlikely the devs would ever include something like this in the future. Doing so would be extremely redundant. Also rabbit hole markers would encourage the building and customization of community venues. Which is precisely the opposite trend which the devs intend to be taking what's left of TS3.