This site will go into read-only mode on July 18th as the new Forums.EA.com are now live.

Has Originality Gone Out the Door?

I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.... but really? :?

Has originality completely gone out the door? I try to have an original style with my uploads and images, but I guess it's easier for people to just copy and not come up with their own original identity. Some copying I understand, but you couldn't make this any more obvious.

Mine:
HuskyOriginal.jpg

Shadoks:
HuskyCopy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EternitysShadowEternitysShadow Posts: 1,194 Member
    edited March 2012
    wait...what? did that person copy both the blurring of the background you do and the dogs? :/ it looks like they copied both...

Geeze. Sorry that's happening V. You don't deserve that.
  • Options
    piratekitagpiratekitag Posts: 3,326 New Member
    edited March 2012
    :?:

Are you talking about the design of the dogs or the background/poses in the pictures?

Because I don't see anything similar between the dogs as far as design goes, except the facial markings but aren't those markings common for the breed?

• Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited March 2012

Are you talking about the design of the dogs or the background/poses in the pictures?

All of the styling of the images themselves. The same breed of dog, the same coat markings, the style of the image, the detail in the corner to make it part of an original series, the blurred background, the perspective of the image, the size of the image, the adult version in the next image, everything. It's just a complete copy/knock-off with no originality whatsoever. I would never DREAM of completely copying anyone down to nearly every detail. It's just completely unoriginal and dare I say bordering on rude?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I try to have my own unique image and style to set my designs and uploads apart from others, just like everyone wants to have, but knocking off someone's personal design doesn't make it very original at all.
  • Options
    EternitysShadowEternitysShadow Posts: 1,194 Member
    edited March 2012
    It doesn't really make sense to me. Why copy it down to the shape in the corner? that's just way overboard in my opinion.

Hopefully the person will stop :?
  • Options
    PillPill Posts: 2,743 Member
    edited March 2012
    Look at it this way! You can pretty much say that their version is pretty much the "cheap undesirable knock-off" that nobody wants.

lol @ them putting a crappy square in the corner like it does something for the eyesore.
  • Options
    blusavannahblusavannah Posts: 7,251 Member
    edited March 2012
    Thats terrible V (new nickname :P) Have you told Shadoks yet? Anyway, it is his/her loss for copying, everyone knows that you started that idea, and will know this person was copying and being a little a**hole.

About the email you sent me a whle back, the SKC is using your templates, giving credit to you as well, and this is the proper way to use others ideas, not stealing the idea and copying it (you know who im on about :P)

EDIT: I have just seen that they have used your husky template and just darkened the colour, you should tell them its not right.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited March 2012

Because I don't see anything similar between the dogs as far as design goes, except the facial markings but aren't those markings common for the breed?

As an 3D artist I see some similarities (sp!)..but there is also some differences as far as background they are totally different. I looked at these pictures a long time and the person that made them IF they did try to copy yours made enough changes are it is just the two different side views for me to say it was a right on copying of yours.

I am a big fan of yours Little V..so don't take that the wrong way..I've downloaded quite a few of your works.

I think insulting the other party isn't the way to handle it..And yes I have had my creations (my real art) and my fiance's creations copied (on here)copied.

But I do see a LOT of people copying on sims pets..A LOT.

Edited: for real bad grammar. Need to finish my first cup of coffee.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I'm not nit-picking over every single detail, they obviously made the images themselves and didn't use my same backgrounds etc, but I'm only talking about the entire design as a whole.

Luckily they responded back to me which I didn't think was going to happen so they wanted me to explain how they were similar (I guess it's not as obvious to them) I explained the idea of creators trying to be original and coming up with their own style and designs that are unique to them to set them apart, so hopefully that makes them understand. I haven't downloaded their version yet to see if it is in fact the same dog template just darker markings. Although I would, dare I say, understand someone uploading someone else's original creation more than taking their exact same unique styling like this.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LittleV, I haven't gotten a hold of you yet so I'd figure this place is as good as any to ask you.

I'd really like if I could use your current (and any future) improved dog designs as SKS' standards. As in, unless those are used, that dog is frowned upon just as a merle great dane would be.

Of course any and all credit with a link to both the download & your profile would be available on each breed page as well as any other perk you'd be interested in (though I don't know what you would possibly want from someone like me haha)

Please let me know :)

• Options
    jojodelpierojojodelpiero Posts: 777 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Maybe they're paying homage to you. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pill wrote:
    LittleV, I haven't gotten a hold of you yet so I'd figure this place is as good as any to ask you.

I'd really like if I could use your current (and any future) improved dog designs as SKS' standards. As in, unless those are used, that dog is frowned upon just as a merle great dane would be.

Of course any and all credit with a link to both the download & your profile would be available on each breed page as well as any other perk you'd be interested in (though I don't know what you would possibly want from someone like me haha)

Please let me know :)
    Oh yeah sorry I briefly saw your post in the other topic but I was at work so I wasn't signed in. That's really nice that you would want to use them! Absolutely, and thanks for giving credit as always. I'd love to see the website after you've got them up as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I can't deny that they're pretty much masterpieces haha.

But yeah if you ever want anything to do with SKS, let me know. You've got superb talent. Thanks for the permission!! Can't wait. Hope to see some more! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I ended up downloading the puppy and aging it up, then removing all the layers of both that version and my original husky and compared them side-by-side, and I was disappointed to find that it actually IS my husky, just with a different coat. They apologized but claim they made the dog themselves from scratch, which turns out to be false. :thumbdown:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Turns out after mentioning that, they said they would delete if from their studio, and that they didn't intend to hurt anyone or cause any problems. I appreciate that they did that, and told them if they want to use anyone's creations in the future to simply give credit where credit is due, since it's the respectful thing to do.
  • Options
    blusavannahblusavannah Posts: 7,251 Member
    edited March 2012
    Nevermind about this post, I said something harsh about them copying, then you said they said sorry, so nvm :P
  • Options
    PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited March 2012
    ... Different coat? Imo, it looks like they just darkened the black, and lightened the white. I'm sorry that that happened to you, and while apologizing is a nice gesture, it kind of doesn't cut it. Sorry doesn't justify blatantly stealing someone's work, doing a few minor edits.. and then re-uploading it. Lying about that afterwords is just despicable. (The whole not your dog, made from scratch.) Theft is theft, and it can't be justified by a simple apology, nor (at least in my opinion) is saying that they didn't want to hurt anyone anything less than an incredibly, incredibly low cop-out. When someone clearly puts time and effort into something, and it's re-uploaded, it hurts the person that originally created it.

Also, as much as you and I don't get along, I do have to say that your creations are really, really nice. It's clear you put a lot of time, effort, and love into perfecting them. Also, congrats on actually knowing what the hell a catahoula is, and not screwing it up somehow, it looks really nice, and incredibly realistic / spot on. (I had two, and no one ever knew what breed they were. They always thought they were just mutts, especially since they looked so different.)
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited March 2012
    Can it be that you based the dogs on the same picture found online?

If that dog's looks are entirely from your imaginations then I guess it's a form of copying but to be fair, atleast he went through the trouble of attempting to make the same dog and not just upload your creation as his. I think the dog he made is well-made but it pales in comparison to the amount of detail you give yours.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: Just like you "altered" EA's version, then why can't they "alter" your version? It's not like he copied the exact same dog....it's hypocritical to say that you are original when you just modified EA's version, but when he/she "modified" your version it's unoriginal and wrong... :?

LittleV, I love your work, I really do, but you constantly post about people stealing your work. The dogs don't look anything alike and as far as the blurring you use for the images...are you really going to claim that as original? I do that on so many of my images. I both sharpen the image and use blur edge. That is on every picture editing software out there. If it was meant to be used by one person those editing programs wouldn't exist. Just make your creations and understand you have a big following and be thankful for that. I put a watermark on all my pics. If you are worried just do that.

The fact of the matter is that thousands of people use these forums and you are uploading your creations for everyone to see and copy onto their computers. The rights belong to EA and not anyone else. I know it sucks when you work hard on your creations, but thats the risk when you are uploading it for everyone to use. I could understand if no one knew who you were, but EVERYONE on here knows who LittleV is and knows what your creations look like.

I do think that the marking on their picture copying yours is pretty overboard though and I see your point there...they should not have done that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Again, I'm not talking about the dog itself, but the entire style and layout of the images used in uploading the creation. It was only after I made the topic that I noticed it was in fact my base dog just with a darker coat. Either way, they admitted to using the style of my "Improved Puppies" series to base theirs off of, and apologized for doing so.

They said after talking that they realized it wasn't the right thing to do, because they had someone re-upload one of their creations without credit and it made them feel bad, and they didn't want to do that to anyone else.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    Also, as much as you and I don't get along, I do have to say that your creations are really, really nice. It's clear you put a lot of time, effort, and love into perfecting them. Also, congrats on actually knowing what the hell a catahoula is, and not screwing it up somehow, it looks really nice, and incredibly realistic / spot on. (I had two, and no one ever knew what breed they were. They always thought they were just mutts, especially since they looked so different.)
    I don't think it's that we don't get along, we just have different posting styles. I agree with what you have to say most of the time anyway :wink: I'm glad you're enjoying what I've made!

I know two Catahoulas, and they're two of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. One got way too attached to me because I would always play with her, so ever summer I see her on an annual camping trip, even after not seeing her for a whole year, she frantically starts looking for anything to bring me to throw for her. Even if it's just a piece of dried grass. She doesn't do that to anyone else, in fact half the trip she's over in our campground and not with her owners.
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited March 2012
    on the plus... yours is more cute ... xD
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    LittleV wrote:
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    I don't think it's that we don't get along, we just have different posting styles. I agree with what you have to say most of the time anyway :wink: I'm glad you're enjoying what I've made!

I know two Catahoulas, and they're two of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. One got way too attached to me because I would always play with her, so ever summer I see her on an annual camping trip, even after not seeing her for a whole year, she frantically starts looking for anything to bring me to throw for her. Even if it's just a piece of dried grass. She doesn't do that to anyone else, in fact half the trip she's over in our campground and not with her owners.

I feel like less of a ditz now. c:

That's adorable, and that dog is clearly not mine (obviously, but I'm just getting a kick out of you saying they can be totally tame.. and that I'm the unlucky one to get the odd one out). Their personalities can vary so widely, it's fascinating. In Miami, SO many people have their little yippers, and aren't that smart. They get out constantly, and don't really care. This one time one of them got on the lawn.. The youngest one, who's turning six (WHEN THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN) this year (this was like, no more than two years ago) kinda darted out between my parent's legs and turned it into a chew toy. And then there was this one time that she got into the back yard when there was a maintenance dude for something (I think the internet).. He's lucky he was wearing such thick boots. That's really I have to say about it. Trying to walk her was fun.. She'd lunge at anything with wheels, and actually tried to jump on people for the weirdest reasons. And they like yanking when you walk them.

Hi, sorry. I'm ranting, and you're making me remember her. I can, also, safely say I've never seen a dog fetch anything. Ever. It's just oh hey, you threw it? I'MA EAT IT. And so not to be a totally off-topic post: art thieves of any kind should be slapped. With bricks.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2012
    Also, as much as you and I don't get along, I do have to say that your creations are really, really nice.

I lol'd at ^ this,,,why don't you guys get along?

@LittleV, I know it's frustrating hun. I guess I would be upset too. I have also worked hard on creations and I would be upset too if someone copied it. I guess what I was trying to say is, there is no way you can monitor thousands of people without stressing yourself silly. Just try to make creations for you and your fans and if someone copies it, sc.rew them because we all know your work anyway and can spot a phony :mrgreen: .

PS, I know something that will put a smile on your face.....my husband farted on my cats head today...my cat looked at him like what the hell? :shock: 8) :mrgreen: LOL
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Schantal wrote:
    Also, as much as you and I don't get along, I do have to say that your creations are really, really nice.

I lol'd at ^ this,,,why don't you guys get along?

Because I'm incredibly blunt and don't like sugar coating or beating around the bush, and often am perceived as a witch.. with a different letter in place of the W.