Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does my Launcher have a big red X in its background? (resolved)

PC, Windows 7, fully patched Sims game.

The Launcher opens just fine, but the Downloads tab has a huge red X through it. New Store purchases won't download at all--the Launcher does that brief pulsing thing in the computer taskbar, but nothing ever makes it into my Launcher.

I thought this might be an Origin issue (like many users I'm concerned about Origin's invasiveness, so don't use it), so I did update Origin, but even while I was briefly logged into it, the X persisted and downloads wouldn't work. So I don't think Origin is causing the problem.

What's going on?

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2012
    Try moving the downloads folder to the desktop and then restart the launcher. That should create a new one. I think those new files in there give people issues.

If you want to keep your downloads in that folder, you can then move them back in groups. Save the new folders for last.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• ivinianivinian Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited March 2012
    Crinrict, you're awesome. That fixed the X issue, and the Store file is now downloading happily. I don't keep a lot of stuff in my Downloads folder on the PC anyway, so it just had the EA-generated files, but apparently one of those had STB.

Truly, thank you for taking the time to help me.
  • stacykfan2stacykfan2 Posts: 87
    edited April 2012
    ive been having these issues too! im going to try this now and see if it works for me as well
  • chocolatefox72chocolatefox72 Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2012
    I realize this thread is pretty old, but i felt the need to ask a question after reading another player had the same issues in the past as i am having now, im confused as to what needs to be done, after copying the download folder to desktop what should be done to the old one, should it be deleted all together? any help is appreciated thanks.
  • ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes, you should delete the old one. Make sure everything copied correctly to the desktop before doing so to ensure you don't lose anything.
  • chocolatefox72chocolatefox72 Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2012
    thanks a bunch, sorry for the late response