Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Social Features Walkthrough!

A video of the new social features being shown off that will be included in the Showtime patch.

Walkthrough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzbNNEWKojc

Comments

• TINA180TINA180 Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2012
    This was very Interesting! Thanks for the link
  • michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for the link.
  • DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited February 2012
    Looks okay. I dunno, I get irritated by the constant memory spam enough to keep the notifications off. I bet getting 200+ status updates each time one of my friends sims burns food will get old.

I really hate it but I may end up paring down my friends list. :( With over 200 people I can see this becoming pretty terrifying. Even setting my own page to private I don't see any way to limit or turn these off if I am online which I always am >.<
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • monaduncanmonaduncan Posts: 952 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Thank you very much for posting this :) Hmmmmm....good to know more about how it works, but I don't know how I feel about this.

Edit: I think I would feel really bad spamming pages with my Sims "progress." It is not exclusive to Showtime and it will be part of the next update. I don't think this is going to work out so well.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited February 2012
    Untitled-139.jpg
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited February 2012
    I must say, I am disappointed they put so much effort into making the game function like Facebook/Twitter when there are so many other features players have been asking for.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • angeldollxxangeldollxx Posts: 786 New Member
    edited February 2012
    not crazy about it. at all.
  • Joel2810Joel2810 Posts: 989 Member
    edited February 2012
    It's coming in the update? NOOOOOO! :shock: :evil: :cry:
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thank you sims3jordan09! ;)
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2012
    Do that many people really care if someone else's Sim gets a promotion or has a baby? Really?

This is more like a FB for Sims instead of real people. IMO very lame, really. Like it was said above, I can't believe they spent so much effort, time, and money on developing this. There are existing bugs that players had to mod to fix that EA never did.

Thank goodness you can make it all private.
  • simbilN99simbilN99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2012
    Katnap wrote:
    Do that many people really care if someone else's Sim gets a promotion or has a baby? Really?

This is more like a FB for Sims instead of real people. IMO very lame, really. Like it was said above, I can't believe they spent so much effort, time, and money on developing this. There are existing bugs that players had to mod to fix that EA never did.

So true....but it seems the whole world had gone Facebook and Twitter crazy. Everybody seems to be jumping on this bandwagon so it's not surpising EA sees this as an oppurtunity.
  • simmiegirl25simmiegirl25 Posts: 31
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the link. It's good to see how the social features will work. I like that we can set it all on private. I'm not thrilled about the new social features but I'm not going to make a big deal about it. I like the other aspects of this pack, like the magician and acrobatics careers and some of the Sims 2 items finally coming back.
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited February 2012
    thank you for the link...Now if they only made a SimPort walkthrough like this one , so we'd finally find out how the heck it works
  • sims3jordan09sims3jordan09 Posts: 663
    edited February 2012
    geminiagre wrote:
    thank you for the link...Now if they only made a SimPort walkthrough like this one , so we'd finally find out how the heck it works
    There is going to be a live chat this thursday that will show off the SimPort features. :)
  • geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited February 2012
    geminiagre wrote:
    There is going to be a live chat this thursday that will show off the SimPort features. :)

Are we sure about that? I was expecting to see info on it during the first chat, but I was hoping for too much i guess
  • evclm6evclm6 Posts: 458 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for posting this link. I don't plan on using any of these social feaures. I agree with Katnap ....who really is super interested what anothers Sims does.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • lilyboblilybob Posts: 940 Member
    edited February 2012
    Am I the only one who noticed that some of the avatars shown are ACTUAL Sims 3 Forum users? That's just creepy. :shock:
  • raraudraraud Posts: 302 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for the link!
    Wish I could get excited about the game, but the social features look kinda lame. I mean, I do some lame achievements to get some lame badge that none of my friends want to see because it will spam their page. I'm just not feeling the fun here.
  • Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited February 2012
    Glic2003 wrote:
    I must say, I am disappointed they put so much effort into making the game function like Facebook/Twitter when there are so many other features players have been asking for.

So true. I'd prefer if they would have used all that effort to put in more cool things in the expansion pack rather than trying to put in some social feature stuff. I certainly won't be using the social features. :roll:
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for sharing that.
    I certainly won't be using the social features if I decided to get the update/game.
  • Daboogadie2Daboogadie2 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2012
    The Sims 3 is targeted toward a demographic that has yet to develop the ability to discern the difference between right and wrong under social pressure.
    What is EA's responsibility to safeguard them against 'evil' friends that may use the game as a hunting ground?
    If you want to continue to play the game, you have to accept the update.
    If you accept the update, who is going to be there to push the privacy button?

Just the opinion of an old guy.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited February 2012
    One thing is clear to me now.

I have waaayyy too many "friends" :P.

I'll see how it goes, but I may either be opting-out of it all, or deleting a lot of friends. It would be nice if I could filter out others so I can find simmers I regularly communicate with, but I think deleting others is the most sure way to do that. There might be hurt feelings though.

I've never been into game achievements. I tend to play my own way, so I certainly won't be going through all goals. It may be coincidence that I achieve any.

As far as following what other player's sims are doing, I think I would have to know a lot about the sim to even care what happens to them. I think I might use this system to give status updates of things I'm working on. I could be working on a house and us Avatar me to visit the lot, record a custom memory with picture, and then share it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited February 2012
    Glic2003 wrote:

So true. I'd prefer if they would have used all that effort to put in more cool things in the expansion pack rather than trying to put in some social feature stuff. I certainly won't be using the social features. :roll:

Opportunity cost if this isn't what the Facebook fans wanted, but some say it is what they wanted.

I like to hear about someone's REAL baby, REAL marriages, REAL life events. If someone's sim jumps off their screen and does something remarkable..I'd like to hear about that too, otherwise, uhhhh...not so much!

I'd of just been happy with a diving board or a retail simulator! :)
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

edited February 2012
    simbilN99 wrote:
    Katnap wrote:

So true....but it seems the whole world had gone Facebook and Twitter crazy. Everybody seems to be jumping on this bandwagon so it's not surpising EA sees this as an oppurtunity.

I read a recent article based on the gallup poll that this is the first year that FB actually has lost users because a growing lack of faith in their ethics and safety. With the new rules stemming from the IPO, they may lose even more.

I for one don't use Twitter. I find it silly and pointless. That's me, but there are millions out there who feel the same. And how many people have signed up for Twitter only to find it's not for them, but don't delete their account but don't use it? Same with FB.

So numbers based off members of these places can be greatly skewed.
    edited February 2012
    geminiagre wrote:
    geminiagre wrote:

Are we sure about that? I was expecting to see info on it during the first chat, but I was hoping for too much i guess

In the first video they said they'd be doing another chat with the main focus on Simport, and possibly other smaller things like objects (I think it was the gold thing, not sure) if there was time.