Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Having major issues getting my apartments to work ...

mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
One apartment - built flat on the ground rather than on a foundation, just won't work - no one can get inside. Not sure why. I have the markers set up, there is a front door, and the apartment doors are in foyers with public room marker balls.

The other apartment is built on a foundation. While the npc apartments work, the PC apartment allows my sim to go in, but she cannot get out - the gate wont' open.

This is getting excessively annoying.

The tutorials listed at the top of this forum don't help. I've followed them meticulously.

Can someone point me to a more comprehensive tutorial?

Thanks.

God Bless,
mik

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited February 2012
    If you upload it I'll look at it...I know a little but I'm not an expert at them. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    k. I've got two - built the first one and it didn't work, so built the second. They are on 20x30 lots. Thanks RF :)

Beachway
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5134762

Art Deco
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5134758

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've got 'em and am starting up the game.:)

Okay- The Beachy Apartments

~You have a Hidden Room marker under the roof- which might make the whole lot hidden.

~Don't use the public markers on balconies where other Sims can't reach- through the NPC doors. Use the Hidden Markers.

~Dividing up the NPCs rooms with walls as separate apartments- right next to each other- you don't have to do. They only disappear inside. And use one marker for the whole area.

~I wouldn't use so many doors marked as NPC. I've seen more then 20 use just one apartment. :)
    I don't know if it matters though.

Sorry- changed my mind. Uploaded them both to mediafire.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xz14oubkhg1r962

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok, I had thought there would be no more than 8 npc sims per door - I'll reduce the doors by half then - one on each side per floor. with just one on the floor with the player apartment.

These forums were down for me from shortly after I posted last in this thread till about an hour ago. I went through and took out the extraneous public markers and left those areas blank because they are on the outside of the building and I didn't want them blacked out. I wanted the visual of the balconies. They can't be used anyway, because there is no door there - just two windows that LOOk like a sliding door when placed side by side. The only working balcony is in the player apartment.

I did get rid of the hidden marker under the roof.

I'm downloading your changes now, though - so I can see what you did :)

Thanks, RF :)

God Bless,
    mik

• Options
    edited February 2012
    It's not a problem to help. I hope they work.

The hidden markers on the balcony shouldn't- and I've seen it- make them go black. It will make them unusable for the Sim living there. If you leave the markers out then the Sim living there might try and go to one and it will cost in their rent.

And the I had to replace the main door on the other building. It just won't let them through...

• Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited February 2012
    Mik, I had the EXACT same issue in Rinn Fáda on a townhome. I very used to making apartments, but whatever Pets did to the routing in the game completely destroyed the lot. I mean, I built the lot before Pets - everything was pitch-perfec - but once I installed Pets no one could get inside! Not even NPCs!
    I tried everything; moved objects that could have been in the way, moved windows, stairs ... until I eventually went ahead and rebuilt it. That didn't work either!!

I had to delete the lot in the end. I was happy to see it bulldozed - caused me so much grief!! :(

Rflong - I have the particular lot saved in the library and I will inspect it using what you've found "wrong" in Mik's apartments. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The beachway apartments .. I had to set the front door to front door when I was testing and then it finally worked, after removing the outside public markers. I'll see if still works with adding private markers.

Connor - that was really getting me too, last night - I couldn't get through the door no matter what! I do wish EA would open testing to a professional group of gamers (I know one that is highly professional and has the integrity to not leak any NDA information).

Anyway - I'll be messing around w/ this a little later today. I've decided to use the Art Deco apartments in my world rather than the beachway. It works better over all and I'm getting a lot fewer rout failures than in the other one.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yes, it wouldn't let my Sim enter either but once I replaced it the door worked fine. :)

Open up one of EA's apartments- you'll see how they're set up with the markers. :)

• Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited February 2012
    Whew, got a scare there, I had 2 apartments built pre-Pets in my world Drumheller that I wasn't really sure I'd tested, and they are working fine. I'd placed them before installing Pets also. Maybe it was that particular door in yours mik that got buggy?