Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 suggestion- unisex clothing option?

I'm asking for this for The Sims 4, since I know it'd require recoding.

If you're a homophobe, I'm going to say this with all due respect- get out and don't come back into this thread. Dead serious.

Edit: Any hate comments will be reported. As in, saying homosexuality is a sin, etc.

My fiance and I were talking, and we came to a thought- what if I wanted to download a wedding dress for a MALE feminine sim? They allow gay marriage, so why not? Or if I wanted to put my female sim in a tux? I don't think they offer those options (haven't totally checked.) As a female who doesn't wear dresses or skirts ever (I can't stand them), I don't feel it's totally right to constrict our clothing options to the ones that are pre-set. I know there are conversions, but I'd like to see something across the game. I enjoy wearing shirts designated for men because I'm a 36C. Shirts don't really work well with me, size wise. As in, if I'm naturally a medium, my breasts make me purchase a large. I know they have shirts for both genders, but I'm giving a RL example. There's nothing stopping me from going and purchasing a tux from like, Jos A Bank or something, and nothing stopping any male from going into a dress shop. Gay marriage is allowed, so I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm proposing an OPTION to allow clothing to be used on both genders. It would be opt-in- meaning by default, clothing would be specified to male / female. (Opt in is the one, right?) I know there are homosexuals who play the game, or at least have homosexual sims. I know there are crossdressers who play the game. My fiance is one, and I have no shame in admitting it- it's nothing to be ashamed of, and it's a personal choice (just like enabling this would be). I know there are transsexuals who play the game. I don't see why this can't be added. Yes, it might be controversial, but uh, so is gay marriage. There are conversions, but it takes a while, and some items likely won't be done by creators. The option I'm thinking of is a simple yes / no check thing to allow sims to wear clothing specified to the opposite gender- if you don't like it, don't use it, period. If possible, the same with accessories / hair / etc.

tl;dr- an OPTION in TS4 to use male clothing on female sims, and vice versa.

Comments

• PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited February 2012
    I'm gonna go ahead and bump this. I feel like, really strongly about the freedom to wear what you want, so this is like. Yeah.
  • Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited February 2012
    Well, personaly I wouldn't use this very much, I'm going to go ahead and support you on this. I think it seems like a pretty cool idea for those who would want to use this a lot and not have to download CC :) Though, of course, homophobes would probably get their panties in a bunch about this :(
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited February 2012
    I completely agree. Our sims should have the freedom to wear whatever they want. (I like you, don't like wearing dresses in RL and I wish I would have thought to trade with my husband and make him wear the dress and me the tux :P) Seriously, I agree with everything you said.
    edited February 2012
    Which is why it'd be off by default. We already have gay marriage, so I don't think they have that much of a right to complain. It's not like gay sex shoved right in their face, you know?

I'm waiting for the day where homosexuality, crossdressing, and transgendered people are more accepted.

Edit: Haha, thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only one who didn't like the mess of dresses, and wouldn't mind seeing this. (Now I'm considering just wearing a pantsuit at my wedding..)
  • Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited February 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    Which is why it'd be off by default. We already have gay marriage, so I don't think they have that much of a right to complain. It's not like gay sex shoved right in their face, you know?

I'm waiting for the day where homosexuality, crossdressing, and transgendered people are more accepted.
    I'm totally with you on that last part! I hate how people think that it's just okay to go around and say " OMG yur gunna burn in hel forever for being a homosexual!" It's like they think those people don't have feelings :(
  • TheMiktigerTheMiktiger Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited February 2012
    I totally want this! I can finally make all my Rocky Horror sims. ;)

But I feel like it won't happen due to the fact the female and male meshes are totally different, and I'd assume it's gonna be the same for TS4.

And I doubt EA wants to make 2 meshes for each clothing item they make, sadly.
    tumblr_ndvjzeK7pL1qcbk34o7_r1_250.gif
    edited February 2012
    I totally want this! I can finally make all my Rocky Horror sims. ;)

But I feel like it won't happen due to the fact the female and male meshes are totally different, and I'd assume it's gonna be the same for TS4.

And I doubt EA wants to make 2 meshes for each clothing item they make, sadly.

Well, I know in SL you can like, drag things to another person's body, so I'm not really sure how EA meshes work. I'm on a Mac, and I haven't seen much software that RUNS for them. I haven't had the chance to see how they actually are. But like, I can make a really skinny sim with no rack, or a really fat one with a huge one, and it conforms to that. I mean, male chests aren't that different, right? At least, in RL. Their chests get more defined, not lumps of fat, but still. I know it wouldn't be possible to make it for TS3, especially this late, and I'm not sure how far into TS4, if at all, so I'm hoping they'd be able to do something. I mean, SOME shirts have the same meshes.. or at least seem really similar.
    Longcat123 wrote:
    Pepperbutt wrote:

I'm totally with you on that last part! I hate how people think that it's just okay to go around and say " OMG yur gunna burn in hel forever for being a homosexual!" It's like they think those people don't have feelings :(

Oh god, people like that want to make me rip my hair out and go insane.
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited February 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:

Edit: Haha, thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only one who didn't like the mess of dresses, and wouldn't mind seeing this. (Now I'm considering just wearing a pantsuit at my wedding..)

For the first part, I agree with you. It's not our place to judge one another and just because we may not agree with everyone's lifestyle choices, we have no right to condemn them for it. We are all individuals with unique minds. If we were all the same, well how boring would that be?

And yes, dresses aren't for all females! There are some really nice pantsuits out there. I unfortunately let others decide for me. It's my weakness, I can't say no to my sisters! I've always been their RL "barbie" :lol:
    edited February 2012
    SimMommy05 wrote:
    Pepperbutt wrote:

For the first part, I agree with you. It's not our place to judge one another and just because we may not agree with everyone's lifestyle choices, we have no right to condemn them for it. We are all individuals with unique minds. If we were all the same, well how boring would that be?

And yes, dresses aren't for all females! There are some really nice pantsuits out there. I unfortunately let others decide for me. It's my weakness, I can't say no to my sisters! I've always been their RL "barbie" :lol:

I seriously cannot thank you enough for saying that. I just can't.

I guess I'm lucky to be an only child in that regard. :P But if we're going to compare our Sims to barbies, since they kind of are.. Why can't they wear Ken's clothing? Sure, it'll be baggy, but mommy can sew it to fit, right? And maybe they feel more comfortable in his clothing. I don't know if that makes any sense, though..
  • YumishiYumishi Posts: 20,954
    edited February 2012
    I totally agree with this idea, I mean why can't girls wear guys clothing and vise versa, my male sims could do with more dresses..
  • GAMESweetGGAMESweetG Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited February 2012
    I must admit. I dont mind this added in options menu especially with a check box if you didnt want it to happen in "Gameplay" option uncheck it there.

The reason why I agree to this is because some of it is already happening in TS3. Male sims can currently able wear female sims makeup. So basically I thought, "Whats the point in having makeup for both male and female sims to use when they cant use the same clothing?"

So yeah I agree with you Pepperbutt :D
    sims_forum_sig01OxVtU_display.jpg
    YouTube: Good Sweet Games | SoundCloud: GAMESuite Tunes | Pinterest: GAMESuite Pins | Twitter: GAMESweetG
  • TheMiktigerTheMiktiger Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited February 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:

Well, I know in SL you can like, drag things to another person's body, so I'm not really sure how EA meshes work. I'm on a Mac, and I haven't seen much software that RUNS for them. I haven't had the chance to see how they actually are. But like, I can make a really skinny sim with no rack, or a really fat one with a huge one, and it conforms to that. I mean, male chests aren't that different, right? At least, in RL. Their chests get more defined, not lumps of fat, but still. I know it wouldn't be possible to make it for TS3, especially this late, and I'm not sure how far into TS4, if at all, so I'm hoping they'd be able to do something. I mean, SOME shirts have the same meshes.. or at least seem really similar.

Nope, no meshes are for both gender. Except for children and toddlers.

The way meshes are set up for sims is that each article of clothing makes that part of body. So, a mesh isn't just a shirt, it would also be the torso, arms, hands, etc. And then each mesh has a full fat, muscle, and breast mesh made, so it's fit for morphs. So, if a female top was made available to males, the male upper body would turn into a female body, which would make the body mesh not fit with the other body parts, giving the sims wholes in their bodies.

The only exception to that is children and toddlers. Males and female children/toddlers use the same body mesh. That's why most child clothes is available for both genders. :P

So far the only items capable of being both genders for Teens/YA/A/Elder are hairs. Hairs don't have the face mesh in them, it's just basically placed on top of the head mesh, which makes it able for both gender.
    tumblr_ndvjzeK7pL1qcbk34o7_r1_250.gif
  • Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited February 2012
    I would like my Female Sims to wear tuxs that would be pretty cool, I hate having the girly girl sims who wear dresses and skirts all the time too.
    But im a bit weary on the boys wearing dresses and all don't get me wrong if they added it would be Awesome for most players as it would add to the creativity and ultimate creation of the Sim you're making, but I just would not use it, I don't think it's wrong or anything, but I just don't prefer it that much.

but I'd sign this petion anyway cuz I am open to trying out dresses on my male sims, but I don't think id use it as much as alot of people here. Sorry if anyone takes this comment wrong or anything, im not trying to be offensve in anyway. :)

Fordee :P
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
    edited February 2012
    It's not even only dresses, it's some of the really nice clothing that's in the game that turns out to be only for one gender. The way I was thinking about it, it'd be a checkbox that's NOT checked starting the game (like, installing.), that allows the "unchecked" gender the freedom to wear clothing from. (I'll get into CC creation in a sec.) You'd restart the game, like you'd need to with graphics options, and then re-load, go into CAS / stylist, and see other clothing, likely with that lock on it.

With regards to how they'd be created, by EA or other creators, I was thing there'd be another box when you'd go in, like. Specifying the intended gender. As in, if I went in and tried to make a dress, and set it to females, it'd show up as female. With the option checked, it'd show up with the lock option.

You wouldn't use dresses for male sims, and that's fine. People have different tastes. I wouldn't really like to see a male bodybuilder in a wedding dress, but if he wants to wear it, power to him, I'm happy he knows what he likes and has the courage to do it. I like wearing baggy clothing, I don't like shirts being tight on my chest, so I usually grab guy's shirts. I was hoping it'd act like the clothing from the time machine that came with AMB. Like, how you can go and unlock it by traveling, and then use it in CAS, and how no NPCs are running around in it. Maybe there'd be another option to enable that, I have NO clue how NPCs work. Aside from everything grabbed out of dark corners. That way people like you, who wouldn't mind it but don't want it shoved down their throats, wouldn't need to see it. I don't really know how NPCs do what they do, because like, every NPC I see is straight.. yet my sim created a sim bot, released it, and he was engaged to a male bartender. I dunno. And I have NO idea how CC works, so I don't know if it'd even be possible, but hey, maybe TS4 is a whole different game with a ton of different coding that might make it possible, y'know?

/minirambleaboutrandomthingsjumbledtogether
  • WolfauraWolfaura Posts: 615 Member
    edited February 2012
    Yes I agree as I had a male sim which loved pink so I decided I made a story where even though he was born a guy he felt like he was really a woman. I'd have him wear lipstick, full make up and have a long hair style.

But was disapointed that he couldn't wear a dress like I wanted him to. A hospital gown decorated in a flower pattern was the closest he got.

We should have more options. Males should be able to wear dresses if they want to. And a feminist could protest to girly clothes and wish to wear a tux for a change.

Iam a straight girly girl myself but I hate narrow minded people and believe in life you should treat people how you wish to be treated no matter their religion, race, sexual preferances etc.
    edited February 2012
    Wolfaura wrote:
    We should have more options. Males should be able to wear dresses if they want to. And a feminist could protest to girly clothes and wish to wear a tux for a change.

Iam a straight girly girl myself but I hate narrow minded people and believe in life you should treat people how you wish to be treated no matter their religion, race, sexual preferances etc.

Same, and I think things like that could easily tie in with things other people want- I know I've seen someone else ask about a girly trait since they hated how their sim was such a tomboy at times, and how some people want alpha females / males, etc. I know some other people want pageants and really, really preppy sims, so I wouldn't mind seeing that all tied in.

Preach!
    edited February 2012
    Gonna go ahead and bump this. Still support it. Still want to see it. Still gonna report hate speech.
  • ChellyMadockChellyMadock Posts: 356 Member
    edited February 2012
    While it's not something I'd probably use often (at least for the guys - I'm used enough to females wearing pants and stuff that I don't think of it as cross dressing), I'd definitely support it. I know any time I make unique or unconventional sims, they always end up being my favorites, and that would probably hold true for if I made a cross dressing sim or couple.
    And I was really pleased with EA's decision to allow children of either sex to dress up as a princess or prince.
    edited March 2012
    Bumping. Still want this idea. Don't know at this point if I'm interested in TS4, but this would make it all the more appealing.
  • EvezanEvezan Posts: 773
    edited March 2012
    I always like more options in game.

How can you call someone an insult, (homophobe) and then say "with all due respect." I personally do not agree with "alternate" lifestyle choices. But I would never insult them because I do not agree with them.

I didn't see any hate speech in this thread at all. But you feel the need to constantly brace for it and tell anyone who doesn't agree with your viewpoint to leave. If anything that will just get some rude rowdy person a giggle that will say somethin stupid just to get you riled up.
    edited March 2012
    Evezan wrote:
    I always like more options in game.

How can you call someone an insult, (homophobe) and then say "with all due respect." I personally do not agree with "alternate" lifestyle choices. But I would never insult them because I do not agree with them.

I didn't see any hate speech in this thread at all. But you feel the need to constantly brace for it and tell anyone who doesn't agree with your viewpoint to leave. If anything that will just get some rude rowdy person a giggle that will say somethin stupid just to get you riled up.

There are plenty of homophobes out there. I'm not saying if you don't agree, don't post, but if you're a Westboro Baptist Church radical, then I'll happily report you. I'm actually quite happy there hasn't been any hate speech, but given the nature of the topic, I wouldn't be surprised if it got trolled. I'm pro gay rights and whatnot, but I understand people aren't into it. I think feminine guys are sexy, and I find really buff guys who work out constantly a turn off. That's MY viewpoint, I wouldn't want it shoved down my throat if it wasn't. But if I was called an idiot for that, then I'd consider it decently offensive. You don't agree with homosexuality, and I respect that, and if I was a homosexual male, I wouldn't try and like, flirt with you. But, if I were a homosexual male, and you told me to go die and rot in Hell, then it'd be a different story.

tl;dr- I don't care if your opinion is different. I respect that, and I'd like to hear constructive criticism (gays and crossdressers suck and should die is not constructive criticism). But I don't want to hear your anti-gay hate speech.
  • CocoafiendCocoafiend Posts: 36 New Member
    edited March 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:

There are plenty of homophobes out there. I'm not saying if you don't agree, don't post, but if you're a Westboro Baptist Church radical, then I'll happily report you. I'm actually quite happy there hasn't been any hate speech, but given the nature of the topic, I wouldn't be surprised if it got trolled. I'm pro gay rights and whatnot, but I understand people aren't into it. I think feminine guys are sexy, and I find really buff guys who work out constantly a turn off. That's MY viewpoint, I wouldn't want it shoved down my throat if it wasn't. But if I was called an idiot for that, then I'd consider it decently offensive. You don't agree with homosexuality, and I respect that, and if I was a homosexual male, I wouldn't try and like, flirt with you. But, if I were a homosexual male, and you told me to go die and rot in Hell, then it'd be a different story.

tl;dr- I don't care if your opinion is different. I respect that, and I'd like to hear constructive criticism (gays and crossdressers suck and should die is not constructive criticism). But I don't want to hear your anti-gay hate speech.

I am all for this post! If you can put make up on your male sims why not dresses/skirts. I too find feminine totally alluring!

251419_185581911505818_172931506104192_489705_8124532_n.jpg

I was in love with this guy and still am! So handsome - if I could make my male sims like this - I would be a very happy lady!
    edited March 2012
    Cocoafiend wrote:
    If you can put make up on your male sims why not dresses/skirts.

That's just so true.
  • FadeEsdrasXIIIFadeEsdrasXIII Posts: 1
    edited July 2013

A major function of the Sims is freedom of expression and a simulation of real life. This would be a great inclusion and broadening of the game's features. It would break down barriers and offer a greater span of characters to be able to craft.

I know I'd utilize this heavily. I enjoy androgyny, cross-dressing, ect, and this would make me feel more apart of the community within the game's sphere. I've noticed a fair amount of people wanting this sort of feature and go to great lengths in modding to try to achieve this. I doubt such a feature would go unused.

• Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited July 2013
    Yes then we can make Willam.

tumblr_m16h7vfcjV1qbozcx.png