Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating Custom Objects

DW211DW211 Posts: 2 New Member
I see a few posts about creating custom patterns, but has anyone read or heard of anything that will allow you to create custom objects? Or modifying the look of a current object into a completely new object within the same parameters of the original object thus allowing the animation for the original object to stay the same as the modified one, so your new object is actualy functional?

... I think I just confused myself :shock:

Because I hear that if you were to create an entirely new object, that there will be no set animation for that object, because it was not originally programed into the game. Which does make sense.

For example... I take a single ceiling light, and modify it into a track light assembly. Thus changing the appearance of the object, and nothing else. Keeping the original code for animation and functionality the same.

The reason I ask is because, the selection of the items in the game ****. I need more variety...

Comments

• Options
    DFlamedancerDFlamedancer Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Bump!

I totally agree - while I am having fun with the customization tool, one of the things I get the biggest kick out of from playing the Sims game is the interior/exterior design of my houses. I was very disappointed to find that of the very limited choice of decorative objects, I could not change the color scheme of the paintings to better match the decor of the room.

This presents a serious problem for me because I find myself limited in what I can do with my sim's houses. Frankly, I used cc 99% of the time in the previous games and I see myself wishing for more variety as I get accustomed to Sims 3. Yes, there are items available in the store, but the prices are outrageous imo. It seems awfully contradictory for the EA team to pimp the exchange and say "Oh yea, we want the users to make custom content" only to prevent those gifted enough to have made such beautiful objects in the past from recreating them for the new version.

• Options
    HILNUSHILNUS Posts: 245 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I believe there is a fan site that has been working on a mesh converter for awhile now. I remember reading that EA had worked with em and invited them to the creators camp. I can't remember what site it was right now but I will look for it.
  • Options
    DrubDrub Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I really hope there are custom meshes and the ability to create new clothing items. I've seen a kilt for men in the Sims Store, but no knee high socks?!

Definitely would love to see things like tighter, thin legged jeans, shirts without a jacket that can have a tie, boot styles, etc.
  • Options
    firehorse66firehorse66 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The Sims Resourse (TSR) is the website that's working on the custom content tool. Check out their website.
  • Options
    DrubDrub Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I googled and saw that as well. I have high hopes!