Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Drumheller, Land of the Dinosaurs - uploaded to The Exchange Jan 28/12!

I've been wanting to do Drumheller for a couple of years, but felt it would be silly without the big dinosaur, and of course dinosaur bones. I almost fainted when I was watching the intro for Appaloosa Plains and saw the dinosaur stuff :shock: I have lived in Alberta all my life, and Drumheller is one of the premiere Dinosaur discovery sites in the world due to the topography. I've been to Drumheller about 6 or 7 times in my life. When you come into Drumheller, you drive down into the valley and it feels like you are entering into a new country almost, but Alberta, Canada is one of the most diverse areas for different types of landscapes & climates. We have the Badlands (the Drumheller area), the Great Plains around Calgary, the Rockies of course, and the great boreal forest in the north to name a few.

All Expansions, Riverview, and all stuff packs except Outdoor Living required. No CC, I don't think I put any free or pay store stuff either. All base spawners (I hope!). All rabbitholes also.

I am done building (I think), there are close to 60 residential lots, including lots of ranches of all size for your pets, 2 apartment buildings, some houses in or close to downtown, and some houses close to the beach. Base camp for tourists, dog, cat, kid, and big town parks as well as a small waterfall park, and an excavation site which I have labeled a small park. Four clubs, and all the rabbitholes. I have used about 10 EA houses, most from Appaloosa Plains and Riverview, because building the darned houses is so time consuming....sigh...
Here is the link to The Exchange:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5104665

Here are a few screenshots:

Screenshot-862.jpg

Screenshot-870.jpg

Screenshot-871.jpg

Screenshot-872.jpg

Screenshot-877.jpg

Screenshot-883.jpg

Screenshot-892.jpg

Screenshot-876.jpg

Screenshot-853.jpg

Hope you like this, in real life, Drumheller is quite a bit more gray (dirt) colored as it is quite arid in Southern Alberta, but it just didn't match the DT with too much gray, so this is Drumheller after a rainy summer. Also, there really are few trees in the hills of Southern Alberta, so I will not be adding very many more trees, maybe some small ones and some more plants. The lack of trees in Southern Alberta is likely why the Mounties (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) always got their man (in Southern Alberta at least), they could see them running away for miles :D

Comments

• Chrisw9Chrisw9 Posts: 125
    edited January 2012
    Ah I love your world!! The Dinosaur theme is so unique - I was shocked too when I found the old dino thing in Appaloosa Plains. Haha - I love how quaint your world is though. I was looking at a thread earlier today and the kid easily flooded his world with 1,000+ trees and it was just too busy.

Did you do the sculpting too? It all looks really nice and peaceful - good job! :thumbup:
  • cds0199cds0199 Posts: 24 New Member
    edited January 2012
    SOLD!
  • nudic2nudic2 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Alberta! Raise the roof! Did you make the royal tyrrell museum too?
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited January 2012
    Hi ChrisW9, yes I did all the sculpting, and thanks cds0199, and nudic2, yes, I did build the Royal Tyrrell, it's the big light concrete building on the right on the hill in the 1st pic :D.
  • ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited January 2012
    Wow, phenomenal job so far!
  • HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited January 2012
    :)Hi good job.I like it.
  • BobbleBeanBobbleBean Posts: 675 Member
    edited January 2012
    Great job so far Sneak...I always look forward to your worlds! :)
    edited January 2012
    Thanks all, I hope to finish in the next week or two, I've got a bit of work to do yet, hopefully it will all go smoothly :D
  • GaluminousGaluminous Posts: 657 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I love Drumheller! I've been there a handful of times - most recently I went to the Fossil Shop and actually bought a really nice ammonite. Also snapped up some small souveniers for friends and the owner was so nice that she gave us a bunch of free trinkets!

Good luck with your world!
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited January 2012
    The landscaping and texture-ing is beautiful!
    This reminds me of the Total Drama series, when they went to Drumheller and Sierra blew up the plane with the cake! :lol::mrgreen:
    May I ask, 'cause I always must, are there any tombs?
  • mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited January 2012
    VERY nice! I think this will be one of the worlds I download. I love how you have blended with the distant terrain, and the sparsity of trees really adds to the flavor of the world. I've never been to Canada, but your world makes me want to visit :)

God Bless,
    mik
    edited January 2012
    Thanks Galuminous and mik, and bunbunnyny, I've been debating that, I am afraid I just get so frustrated building the darned things. I've had one in each of my last 2 worlds, but I am still thinking of a reason there would be a tomb in Drumheller. Any ideas anyone? I suppose someone could be selling dino bones on the black market, go missing and leave all the loot......hmmm
  • jessrose24jessrose24 Posts: 58 New Member
    edited January 2012
    This looks fab! Well done! Did you use the distant terrain for apaloosa plains?
    edited January 2012
    Hi jessrose24, yes that is the distant terrain I used, it does look so much like the terrain in Drumheller except, as I said in my 1st post, there is much more gray in Drumheller & not a lot of red rock.
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited January 2012
    Great job! I think it is beautiful and unique.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks Scorpina2009 :D

Here is an update, some photos of some of the ranches and a Community lot.

Screenshot-949-1.jpg

Screenshot-942.jpg

Well, I had 5 more photos but for some reason, Photobucket will not resize them even though I have attempted it 4 or 5 times.... :( I'll try later. I am also getting a high memory usage warning from Photobucket, so not sure what's up with it....

Okay, I re-sized them in paint, here are a few more builds:

Screenshot-944.jpg

Screenshot-947.jpg

Screenshot-948.jpg

Screenshot-946.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited January 2012
    I had to strip some of my terrain pant as I turned on View chunk boundaries, and I had red lines around some of them indicating I had gone over 8 terrain paints in those chunks. As I've always limited my number of terrain paints, I was shocked that I had gone over, but I managed to fix it.

In final testing, all seems well, let me know if anyone wants to take it for a test spin and I will upload to Mediafire.

edited January 2012
    I got it on the Exchange, 1st try again.....I hope everything is okay, I did test quite a bit, but it is hard to test on your own, sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes.
    edited January 2012
    Sheesh, I should have re-checked my spelling in my world description, I misspelled The Royal Tyrrell Museum, I had fixed it but obviously didn't save the fix of the description... :oops:
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited June 2012
    Wow, just wow. This is so gorgeous I can't stand it :mrgreen: . I love Canada and wish I lived there.

I own all the seasons of Heartland just to see the beautiful landscape, well, that and I love the show ;-).

I just downloaded this world and I am so excited to play it :-). Is it populated?
    edited June 2012
    Thanks Schantal :D.

No, Drumheller is not populated. I may tackle the task of learning how someday, hopefully for the 1st Supernatural world I make as it would be good to have that kind of world populated.

Hope you enjoy Drumheller!
  • clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited June 2012
    Do you have the smaller dinosaur statues too (the one that you get from fragments that dogs collect)?

You know...
    Screenshot-101.jpg
    (the one furthest to the right)

(this picture is from simsvip)