Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone remember the Sims Online?

200px-The_Sims_Online_Coverart.png

This game came out in 2002. It was a massive multiplayer online Sims game. It has received negative reviews, and was disappointing in sales. In 2007, it has reached its demise and was closed down for good.

I brought this up because the social features in ST seems the same. I'm surprised nobody else brought this up yet.

Do you think this will be the fate of the Sims Series?

Discuss.

(I hope EA doesn't try to ban me for bringing this up :lol: )

In my opinion, I really can't blame EA for trying this online concept again.
As another simmer mentioned, this is a new time with a new team. I think the Simport/online features will either somehow make the game and maybe the franchise a lot better, or will make it all worse.

It's apparent that the Sims 3 and its expansions has been going in a downward spiral lately for various reasons. But will this all change after Showtime is released???

I guess only time will tell....

Comments

• Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2011
    The Sims Online sucked. Period, end of story.

Simport is nothing like the Sims Online. On the contrary, if you've ever played any Zynga games on Facebook, you'll get some idea of what Simport is going to become. At least on the Sims Online you could interact with other players avatar to avatar. With Simport, all you'll be able to do is watch someone else's avatar perform in your venue. It will start with one friend, and eventually, you'll be forced to use more than one friend (from your SimPage) to complete tours as they increase the number of venues your Sim must perform in.

I can see this getting really old, really fast.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited December 2011
    200px-The_Sims_Online_Coverart.png

This game came out in 2002. It was a massive multiplayer online Sims game. It has received negative reviews, and was disappointing in sales. In 2007, it has reached its demise and was closed down for good.

I brought this up because the social features in ST seems the same. I'm surprised nobody else brought this up yet.

Do you think this will be the fate of the Sims Series?

Discuss.

(I hope EA doesn't try to ban me for bringing this up :lol: )

actually it has been talked about i myself brought it up in a post as well
    i dont get it at all its ignorant it didnt work then and its not gonna work now maybe they'll finally learn their lesson :evil:
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited December 2011
    I remember the fiasco that was the Sims Online, I tried it free for a month, but it only took a week of that free trial to see how horrible it was. It was the first of many Sims games they shoved out without thinking through the concept first.
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • NighteyesNighteyes Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited December 2011
    I still have my disc from when it went beta. It was aweful.
    And I just realized I need to clean out my old CD's.
  • DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited December 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    The Sims Online sucked. Period, end of story.

Simport is nothing like the Sims Online. On the contrary, if you've ever played any Zynga games on Facebook, you'll get some idea of what Simport is going to become. At least on the Sims Online you could interact with other players avatar to avatar. With Simport, all you'll be able to do is watch someone else's avatar perform in your venue. It will start with one friend, and eventually, you'll be forced to use more than one friend (from your SimPage) to complete tours as they increase the number of venues your Sim must perform in.

I can see this getting really old, really fast.
    I haven't seen that info anywhere. I dunno. I'll wait and see.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Da_VaneDa_Vane Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2011
    The Sims Online had many flaws, which was why it sucked. The first was the fact that the gameplay of the Sims doesn't really lend itself well to online play in a MMO format, and thus the entire implementation of TSO was flawed because they could not balance the economy and the gameplay issues with what people expected from a Sims game.

Showtime is going to be more like Zynga's facebook games, Frontierville and Castleville. This is not necessarily a bad thing, depending upon how it is implemented. Many of the features that get people hooked on the Zynga games were already well established in the Sims 3 to begin with. While Farmville was gaining ground and everyone was telling me how great it was that they could farm and harvest vegetables, I was telling them I was already doing this in the Sims 3.

When you look at the more popular Zynga games, like Frontierville, the reason they are popular is because they have easily accessible gameplay like the Sims 3. Everybody gets what you are supposed to do, and it is intuitive, while still being fun and open. The quests give guidance in the Zynga games, but we've seen the same system work with Wishes, Lifetime Wishes, Opportunities, and Adventures in the Sims 3 already, not to mention the entire Quest structure from The Sims Medieval as well.

I would hate to see EA do the things that make the Zynga games so annoying, and give the Faceook games a reputation - the cash gouging for advancement (aka Premium items after making the difficulty so hard that the game is unplayable) and limiting advancement to needing lots of friends to send each other lots of links and spamming through SimPort.

The social ideas are fine, but should always be optional - if it becomes enforced, then it looks like EA will be crucifying their own franchise and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited December 2011
    Trust me, you are not the first person to bring it up. Many of us have complained about it already. I know i have. I don't need social networking in my sims game.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited December 2011
    Who cares guys, It's better to have more options than less. At least there will be an option to turn it off, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
  • gentjt32gentjt32 Posts: 677 Member
    edited December 2011
    I really remember Sims Online. That game would have been a great game if they would have stuck with what they kept saying. But it was not the case. Main thing that messed up Sims Online was the time it took to skill. You're place could not become a major place when the skill timer was set at 5% which make skilling slow as slow. Others wanted to skill at 100% time. So which left your place empty all the time. If they would not have put that slow skill timer into Sims Online, then yes I do believe Sims Online would have been a greater game. I did enjoy my time in there though.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited December 2011
    There is a difference between Sims Online and what EA is doing with the Simport. If a program is presented crappy it's returns will be crappy and I am referring to how Sims online was presented way back. However many people have thier own ideas on how the Simport will work when EA only gave the basic info which to me is not enough info for me to draw a conclusion on how it will actually work. Also the technology has changed very much when Sims Online was presented. Even though Simport and Sims Online is different. If EA was to tighten up on how Sims Online would be presented today, it may be good. I am glad they incorporated Simport into Showtime and it is not going to be tossed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited December 2011
    I remember it, but I never played it. Wow, I had no idea it was running as late as 2007 :shock:
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    edited December 2011
    i Played The Sims Online and it was fun! I wish they would make a more modern version of it.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    edited December 2011
    I never played it. Could you visit your friends at their house and invite them to yours? Sims social just limits you to visiting their house.
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited December 2011
    I heard about it but I never cared to play it. From everything I read after it was out awhile it do very well. I think the sims is a game that is best played alone. That's how I prefer to play it.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • PsychoMasterXPsychoMasterX Posts: 2,553 New Member
    edited December 2011
    the mmo scene was alot different back then and beside it was a different team
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited December 2011
    I loved The Sims Online, and I wish they would bring it back, but as Sims 3/Sims 4(Future?) style. 3D. And I wish they would add things to fix what Sims Online was Missing. I think it was a good idea, and had potential; just wish the creators would've had more motivation to fix it.

The social features in ShowTime are nothing like this. >_>, so yeah.

P.S Just like the above Simmer stated, the Online "Franchise" has really grown since then.. and so I think another go at it with the technically we have today would possibly be better, and maybe even a bit more successful. And honestly, Sims Online was pretty successful at the beginning, but it had a fall because it started to lack things that Simmers needed/wanted. Bugs being one thing that caused issues, etc.

Do you see a pattern here? Maxis had Sims 1 and Half of Sims 2 before Sims 2 started to fall a part when EA took over; and now Ea has full control over Sims 3 and just look at it. EA took over Sims Online as well..........and that's where it fell. >_>, that's the reason it was unsuccessful and they renamed it as EALand. How stupid.

I want Maxis back. :( They were more into Supernatural stuff, and HUMOR (Mrs.Crumplebottom hitting you with a purse, or Alien Abductions, and the Mascot, etc etc ETC), and cared about their customers.
  • KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    edited December 2011
    Man that was long time ago I remember it one game I don't own I think(Can't remember) but yeah it did have the social features maybe that why they made the whole Facebook thing? but yeah good memories
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited December 2011
    Nighteyes wrote:
    I still have my disc from when it went beta. It was aweful.
    And I just realized I need to clean out my old CD's.

lol!
  • BlingjohnnyBlingjohnny Posts: 355 Member
    edited December 2011
    sam123 wrote:
    Who cares guys, It's better to have more options than less. At least there will be an option to turn it off, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I agree!, people are making a fuss out of nothing. You CAN turn it off. :mrgreen:
  • christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited December 2011
    sam123 wrote:

I agree!, people are making a fuss out of nothing. You CAN turn it off. :mrgreen:
    i'm so sick of people saying this
    yes you can turn off the social features and not simport

but if you dont atleast use simport you miss out on special items
    and backgrounds
    and after the latest patch EA is requiring you be online to play the sims no matter what they are trying to make you use online stuff more and more

and those of us that dont want to use these socials
    are basically paying for a few careers , a dj booth, pool table, and a mic
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited December 2011
    sam123 wrote:

No, you can't. The only thing you can turn off is the chat/messaging system. That has an on/off feature. Go back and read SimGuru Snelson's post again. You can turn OFF the chat/messaging features. You can only OPT out of the Simport.

And all opting out will do is let you ignore Simport in the game. But that doesn't mean you won't be bothered with it on the forums. There's already someone requesting friends on their SimPage, because I've been posting that I think the Simport feature will draw on friends from your SimPage, not from Facebook. And I can predict that come March, we'll see tons of these requests; and if you get a friend request from someone you don't know on your SimPage, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be because they want to send their Sim into your game.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited December 2011
    yes i remember it very very well. I beta tested that game. for 4 months before it went live. When it went live, it was ok for a little while, then it went crazy. It seem'd that many young ones, tried to play it like you would off line, makeing many who were also grownups go a bit nutty. After another year i quit the game, it was not makeing it fun, and it was going nuts.

But the social aspect of showtime, is not going to make it anything like sims on line. I think the social aspect has in some way, gonna make it so you can set up a time, date, etc. for say your sim to play at a club/bar/park, in my game. When its time for your sim to show up, then my simmies will all head towards the place your sim will show up at. Now how they show up might not be like we expect, it could be by car, or just poof there you are. Then i think when its over, your sim would either get in a car and poof out, or just poof out.

So thats what i think might happen, i do not think it will ever be actually on line, that would be a bit hard to put online gameing into off line gameing, when most of it is on your computer and on line is on a server. where they save, etc. Anyways, no it will not be like sims on line, thankfully.
  • JewelsiaJewelsia Posts: 67
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I remember that game.

It would be awesome if they made an actual MMO that had the graphics and gameplay of the Sims 3. I'm still praying. I'd pay for a subscription for that game.
  • BlingjohnnyBlingjohnny Posts: 355 Member
    edited December 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    sam123 wrote:

No, you can't. The only thing you can turn off is the chat/messaging system. That has an on/off feature. Go back and read SimGuru Snelson's post again. You can turn OFF the chat/messaging features. You can only OPT out of the Simport.

And all opting out will do is let you ignore Simport in the game. But that doesn't mean you won't be bothered with it on the forums. There's already someone requesting friends on their SimPage, because I've been posting that I think the Simport feature will draw on friends from your SimPage, not from Facebook. And I can predict that come March, we'll see tons of these requests; and if you get a friend request from someone you don't know on your SimPage, you can bet your bottom dollar it'll be because they want to send their Sim into your game.

Well you can still ignore it in the game?, you don't have to send another Sim into someone else's game unless you choose to. So everyone has a choice you can choose to use Simport or ignore it. :)
  • MagicalSarahMagicalSarah Posts: 126 New Member
    edited December 2011
    i do remember it at that. i also remember me not liking or playing it.

on my part, i'm only gonna buy this ep 'cos of the items, town and careers and that is it. also, if i end up hating it. the place where i buy has always gave me a full refund when i've returned a game and without any questions.