Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What IS really so great about TS3's 'open' neighbourhood?

I've noticed a few threads appearing about people longing to go back to TS2, but there are those who seem to think that TS3 is still better, one of the key reasons behind this 'feeling' is because TS3 has an open neighbourhood and no loading screens... The question is, is this really as great as it appears?

Not really, and here's why:

The so-called 'open' neighbourhood, I'm sure it sounded like a brilliant idea, but in practice it's lousy, in truth the sims themselves are no less isolated in their individual lots then they were in TS2, there's no talking over the garden fence, there's no going to the restaurant with a friend, in fact you can't really go anywhere because everywhere that might've been fun to go to is now a rabbithole, essentially all you've got is a huge version of a TS2 lot with extra building space, there's very little to do in it, which brings me to the second part of this particular item.

No loading screens (well aside from a really long one on startup but that's in both games). Whenever you play TS2 you get loading screens, and let's not understate them, you get a LOT of them... Every time you go from the house to any other visitable community lot, you have to wait for it to load in, but then you get to play on a richly detailed and usually highly populated community lot (which you may or may not own depending on what EPs you have), it's not much fun sitting there waiting for the lot to load in, but at least you can have fun when you get there... Even if your sim doesn't.

So, where does this leave TS3?, no loading screens (aside from the aforementioned one on startup), well while the loading screen itself it gone the effects are still there... Actually it's worse in TS3, while in TS2 you had to endure a waiting period before you arrived at your (hopefully) brilliant destination, where your sim could meet other sims, engage in romance, potentially get whacked around by Mrs. Crumplebottom for engaging in said romance and generally experiencing what that lot has to offer, in TS3 you get a waiting period in place of the destination in the form of a rabbithole... Well look on the bright side, at least you didn't get a loading screen [/sarcasm].

Now while EA ARE opening 'some' areas for you sim to play around in, more often then not without mods or CC you'll find your sim enjoying themselves to the sound of wind blowing through empty rooms (or at least you would hear the wind if EA would actually bother to add seasons) and tumbleweeds rolling about (again waiting on EA), this is because that the clubs (far from being as crowded as advertised) are either virtually or completely empty, and I'm pretty sure that in Showtime your sims are going to be singing to a crowd of all of three sims... Maybe.

So ask yourselves, what have you REALLY gained by having an 'open' neighbourhood?

For those of you experiencing the deserted clubs problem a 'fix' of sorts exists:
Coby wrote:
Use at your own risk... :P

Here is the original thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/307092.page

You may also want to post this too, as some people said that after installing Generations that they had issues, and it's a little different to get working: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/381620.page
raw

Comments

• Streetdival01Streetdival01 Posts: 717 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Everything you said is true. That's why I hope they scrap the Open World format in 4. It's an Epic FAIL.
  • JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited December 2011
    i can visit neighbors at their own home instead of having to call them over or meet them at a community lot...

my community lots are always full...plus since i have WA i get tourists....too :)

i can go to the library to read books instead of always doing it at home...

i can take a friend out to the restaurant for dinner....you can both eat outside and watch them eat..

If i have say 3 or more sims on 1 lot...i can have one go fishing...1 go to work and 1 go bar hoping....and not have just 1 sim do 1 thing at a time on 1 lot...

i can send my sim for a walk...and actually watch..my sim walk around town and take in the beautiful scenary...

i find that if you put things on the community lot for your sims to do...they will do it...

ETA...i might add...what i have gained is The Sims 3...not The Sims 2...
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited December 2011
    Jenieusa wrote:
    i can visit neighbors at their own home instead of having to call them over or meet them at a community lot...

my community lots are always full...plus since i have WA i get tourists....too :)

i can go to the library to read books instead of always doing it at home...

i can take a friend out to the restaurant for dinner....you can both eat outside and watch them eat..

If i have say 3 or more sims on 1 lot...i can have one go fishing...1 go to work and 1 go bar hoping....and not have just 1 sim do 1 thing at a time on 1 lot...

i can send my sim for a walk...and actually watch..my sim walk around town and take in the beautiful scenary...

i find that if you put things on the community lot for your sims to do...they will do it...

ETA...i might add...what i have gained is The Sims 3...not The Sims 2...

The only reason the home lot visiting wasn't added in TS2 was because it would've killed a major selling point of TS3.

Tourists can visit in TS2 as well, also in TS2 everyone got a populated lot, instead of just a lucky few.

Libraries existed in TS2.

In TS2 friends (and indeed lovers) could actually eat IN the restaurant, and there were a number of actions that could be done within... In OFB you could actually OWN the restaurant as well.

Great, so you can have two sims doing things which don't actually require you anyway and 1 bar hopping, which you could do in TS2.

So you can send your sims for a walk in what is basically an empty lifeless town.

As for putting stuff in community lots, again that can be done in TS2.

However, I'd love to see you go shopping in TS3, or actually own a business, watch the seasons change or better yet have two sims autonomously enter a relationship on your lot without any assistance.

You've lost 'The Sims' and gained 'The Sims societies'... Which is effectively a loss in itself.
    raw
    edited December 2011
    Well what i have to remember is that i don't have Sims 2 on my computer...i have Sims 3...its not the same game...different disks...different expansion packs...different stuff packs...

If you are playing with an empty lifeless town...something is wrong...i don't have that problem....i see sims everywhere...going to work...walking the dog....kids playing at the park...

And as far as Season or Owning your own business is concerned...if we get we get it...if we dont we dont...i will not loose sleep over it....i love my game...and what EA has given us so far...
    i play everyday.....i have never felt the need to return to Sims 2 or 1 for that matter because EA is not finished making expansion packs for 3 yet....

• CobyCoby Posts: 1,725 New Member
    edited December 2011
    As much as you try to put some wisdom in TS3 fanboys (or girls)... they will never fully get why TS2 IS the better game. Sad but true.

TS3 has some good points, but the open neighborhood isn't one of them...
  • MiloBeanMiloBean Posts: 770 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I can understand why some people would enjoy TS3. On it's own, it's a pretty good game. But compare it with TS2 and it feels like a cheap knock-off that tried to copy the Sims format.
    Loading screens never bothered me so much. I have a pretty good computer, and even with tons and tons of CC, it still takes less than five minutes to load completely. Loading between lots usually takes about two minutes. Not much different than sitting at a red light.
    On the other hand, with TS3 I have 'render time' which is the time it takes to turn those big gray blocks into detailed items. Wheter I'm waiting for the game to load or waiting for it to render, I usually spend those minutes scratching the dog's ears or looking for something I misplaced. It's no big deal.
    The open neighborhood does have it's selling points...especially if you're playing a homeless family, but as the OP said...open to what?
    However, I would gladly trade a seamless neighborhood for the ability to play more than one family in any given town. We all know what happens when we switch families for any length of time. They move, trade jobs, split up etc. I prefer to find them as I leave them I guess.
    I know it can be enjoyable watching your sim walk around the neighborhood, but I also enjoy watching them go bowling and ice skating. I enjoy watching them smustle and slap dance and shoot hoops and swim in the ocean too.
    ...and yeah, sure we can watch them eat outside of a rabbithole. We can watch them eat at home too. Heck, from the beginning of sims time we could watch them eat. But in TS3 I can't watch them eat in a restaurant that I made. They won't tease each other, they won't toast each other, they won't have food fights or propose marriage to each other...they just eat. Big deal.
    It is true...if you put stuff on a community lot that sims will use it. I'm still waiting for stuff to put on a community lot.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    edited December 2011
    If you are playing with an empty lifeless town...something is wrong...i don't have that problem....i see sims everywhere...going to work...walking the dog....kids playing at the park...

I agree with this. I love the open neighbourhood and no one on here can convince me that the openness is not my preferred way of playing.

I still have the Sims2 on my computer and I do on occasion visit them. Especially for the seasons and there are a lot of things I prefer on the Sims2 that never made it to 3.
    But most of my playing time is with Sims3.

"Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • BrendanBlackmerBrendanBlackmer Posts: 119 New Member
    edited December 2011
    My towns are usually crowded and I do enjoy open neighborhood because I can see what my other Sims are doing without playing as them. I however respect your opinion because I live in a small town and our definitions of crowded may be different.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited December 2011
    Hi - who were all these people who supposedly wanted an "open neighborhood" anyway? To be honest, I don't even remember being asked so I guess I must have missed it.

There are some things I love in the Sims 3 and wish were in the Sims 2 - most of them having to do with Buy/Build modes, like
    Create-A-Style, being able to place furniture on "half" squares or at an angle without cheats.

No weather, no magic, no proper apartments. If I'd had CAS in Sims 2, I would have been very happy.

As it is, I seldom play Sims 3 anymore - Pets was the last EP I bought and I think I have played it a couple times. The love I used to feel for the Sims is fading and the enjoyment I got from playing gone with all the bugs and glitches in Sims 3.
    edited December 2011
    Well thats what i like about the game....i guess the mystery....of the town "going on" without me...when i check back on a lot after i have switched a few days...i wanna see something different...whom are they hanging with now...and so on...

I enjoy watching my sims play gnubb..shuffleboard...hopscotch...foosball...jump on the trampoline...there all sorts of things for my sims to do on a community lot....

But when i bought this game...i bought the Sims 3 not the Sims 2...its a different game....plain and simple as that.
  • MiloBeanMiloBean Posts: 770 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Jenieusa wrote:
    But when i bought this game...i bought the Sims 3 not the Sims 2...its a different game....plain and simple as that.

I don't think anybody is arguing that point.
    It's all just a matter of interests I suppose. Some people like one thing and some people like another.
    Heck, I have friends who like Battlefield, but we still get along somehow.
  • MzFearceMzFearce Posts: 127
    edited December 2011
    Coby wrote:
    As much as you try to put some wisdom in TS3 fanboys (or girls)... they will never fully get why TS2 IS the better game. Sad but true.

TS3 has some good points, but the open neighborhood isn't one of them...

Seriously?
    Call people names because they don't have the same opinion as you?

Anyway, I like both games and still play both games. I actually do like the neighborhood. Even though I do like the resteraunts in TS2 better because of the interactions. But I only go to resteraunts when friends call and ask because I do hate the loading screens.

Both of the games have their points. I still even play the first game. Neither of the games are perfect, but they keep me entertained. And that's all that counts to me.
  • CobyCoby Posts: 1,725 New Member
    edited December 2011
    MzFearce wrote:
    Seriously?

Calling somebody a fanboy is not offensive, basically it just means they are devoted to something even that thing is not that great or they generally support an unpopular opinion.... :?

If your going to criticize me then criticize me for doing something that warrants criticism please...
  • beaglelover2008beaglelover2008 Posts: 4,758 Member
    edited December 2011
    I think it's because a lot of people *hem like ME* joined at Sims 3, and don't really ave a problem with it. I like the way it's set up. I just hate the fact that I can't play on the computer I want because of system requirements, and it's not very welcoming because they kind of shut down the website for Sims 2...
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2011
    I thought the open world feature was GENUIS. I loved it so much - the concept anyway. Watching videos on youtube (before I got the game) and I was just absolutely amazed at how much of a transition it was. But now my mind has changed completely.

I've been played TS2 an awful lot recently (Seasons=snow :P ) and I actually much prefer the "one lot active" system. To me, there's a sense of privacy and cosiness and I love that. I value it much more now and I wish I hadn't have taken it for granted.

I mean, it must just be my computer or something, but whenever you DO go out on the tow - night or day - it's dull anyway? There's activity, sure, but in the form of zooming cars. It's impossible to talk to anyone as "___ is heading to work and cannot be disturbed" or "____ is going home".

I'm not really amazed by the open world system anymore ... wheneve ryou want to visit a neighbour they're almost always out anyway, and when you're invited in it's time to leave. :(
  • MzFearceMzFearce Posts: 127
    edited December 2011
    Coby wrote:
    MzFearce wrote:
    Seriously?

Calling somebody a fanboy is not offensive, basically it just means they are devoted to something even that thing is not that great or they generally support an unpopular opinion.... :?

If your going to criticize me then criticize me for doing something that warrants criticism please...

But you did say that because "they don't understand that TS2 is a better game."

But sorry if no one else thinks its offensive to them.
  • RuriKamiyaRuriKamiya Posts: 298 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    I thought the open world feature was GENUIS. I loved it so much - the concept anyway. Watching videos on youtube (before I got the game) and I was just absolutely amazed at how much of a transition it was. But now my mind has changed completely.

I've been played TS2 an awful lot recently (Seasons=snow :P ) and I actually much prefer the "one lot active" system. To me, there's a sense of privacy and cosiness and I love that. I value it much more now and I wish I hadn't have taken it for granted.

I mean, it must just be my computer or something, but whenever you DO go out on the tow - night or day - it's dull anyway? There's activity, sure, but in the form of zooming cars. It's impossible to talk to anyone as "___ is heading to work and cannot be disturbed" or "____ is going home".

I'm not really amazed by the open world system anymore ... wheneve ryou want to visit a neighbour they're almost always out anyway, and when you're invited in it's time to leave. :(

I feel the same way. And don't forget the infamous "(your sim's name) is behaving inappropriately, if she continues he/she will be asked to leave!" when visiting a household. My sim was hungry so I had him get it himself cause the sims in that household doesn't serve food. :?
  • OnAvieOnAvie Posts: 1,611 Member
    edited December 2011
    I personally LOVE the open neighbourhood, for most of the reasons Jenieusa listed.

The Sims 2 made me feel restricted and "stuck" if that makes sense.

Yes, I KNOW you're gonna call me a troll for not hating it like everyone else does. But you know what? I'm not going to change my opinion for anyone. :roll:

• RuriKamiyaRuriKamiya Posts: 298 New Member
    edited December 2011
    Well as for me I'd rather be "stuck" with plenty of things to do than stare at a rabbit hole. It may be an open world but there's really not much to do. And because of the open world the game is no longer challenging. It's too easy to get by.
    edited December 2011
    Conorsim wrote:

Oh yeah the 'zooming' cars, (you know that some of them don't even have people in and they're just to make it look like there's activity going on?)that isn't really activity, any more then the cars zooming around a TS2 neighbourhood screen were activity.

Out of curiosity, how many people who hate the open world system also hate Facebook games?
    RuriKamiya wrote:
    Well as for me I'd rather be "stuck" with plenty of things to do than stare at a rabbit hole. It may be an open world but there's really not much to do. And because of the open world the game is no longer challenging. It's too easy to get by.

Agreed on all counts, what's the point of having an open neighbourhood if there's virtually nothing to do in it.
    raw
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited December 2011
    Evil_One, I wouldn't touch any of those Facebook games with a ten-foot pole. Sure, I played The Sims Social for a while, but I had to wash the ten-foot pole afterwards.
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to go out on a limb on this one.

Honestly, I thought the open neighborhood had a lot of potential when I first saw Sims 3. If they had programmed the game right, optimized it right, and focused on keeping what was great while improving on things... it probably would have utterly blown me away.

The reality turned out to be far different.

Unfortunately, one problem I've noticed with open neighborhood is that we have a seemless neighborhood where you can walk from one lot to another... but thanks to travel times from a home to most lots, all you've really done is replace the blue loading screen from Sims 2 with a new loading screen consisting of your sim traveling. And, thanks to the lack of optimization, you can have it that the lot is not even fully loaded when your sim arrives.

And then there's the rabbit holes. Some of them were necessary for things like work... others, apparently because this game has less optimization than Windows 98.

The expansion packs also have not helped; in some cases, they've only made things worse. Everyone here is probably well aware of the problems each has, so I won't go into them.

Then there's the towns. One of the advantages Sims 2 had is that it could generate townies to visit places. Sims 3... mostly doesn't. And unlike Sims 2, where a place could easily become very crowded (I've counted as many as two dozen sims on a lot on my computer), in Sims 3 the crowds tend to be small thanks to a glitch in how the game reads processor capacity and, often, the crowds that show up anywhere are the same people every time, which in turn only enhances the feeling of emptiness. You can get crowds, but I've yet to see a report of someone with a true crowd without mods being involved.

Oh, yeah. And the issue of needing mods for Sims 3 to run as it should.

Overall... I would say that the open neighborhood was a good idea in theory but a bad one in execution.
    edited December 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    Evil_One, I wouldn't touch any of those Facebook games with a ten-foot pole. Sure, I played The Sims Social for a while, but I had to wash the ten-foot pole afterwards.

Interesting, I expect much the same from most people who hate the open neighbourhood (IE the ability to see through a concept to examine what it REALLY entails which in facebooks case is a combination of a money-sink and free advertising).
    raw
  • shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited December 2011
    I like the open neighborhood thing, except for the fact that sims are never home. The thing the bothered me the most about the way it worked in TS2 was that your sims couldn't visit other sims' homes. This was a big problem in Open For Business because I would make one sim sell things at their house and my other families couldn't go there and buy stuff. Towards the end of TS2 I had a lot of games (and a lot of CC) and the loading screens took forever!

Both TS2 and TS3 have their benefits, and their drawbacks, I have a hard time deciding which one I like better, although about 60% of the time its TS2, and 40% it's TS3.

My need for new stuff in the game (and the fact that when I tried to transfer the hard drive with all of my TS2 data onto my new computer it wouldn't let me) made me switch to TS3. Although if it gets much worse I always have my TS2 EPs to fall back on.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
    edited December 2011
    i have no mod involving crowds.....!