Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom Distant Terrain Kit

A while ago, I started work on a custom distant terrain kit. http://tjstreaksnotsonaughtysims.blogspot.com/2011/10/custom-distant-terrain-creation-kit.html

The idea is actually pretty simple. One starts with a flat distant terrain. And I mean as flat as Kansas.

Flat+Distant+Terrain+Screenshot+1.jpg

Flat+Distant+Terrain+Screenshot+2.jpg

As things stand, the distant terrain extends one world length in each direction. It can be extended quite easily and with very little trouble. But at this size, it really is difficult to see any water in the background.

The top picture above shows a view of the distant terrain. The hole in the center is where your world goes. A compass rose in the middle of the distant terrain goes in the dead center of your world.

You then can slide other terrain elements onto this flat terrain. (Using the blue, red and green lines, it is possible to slide objects onto the distant terrain). Many of the screenshots I have made are of objects (like ships and aircraft) which actually have been placed on distant terrain with the camera facing my world.

Frigate+Screenshot+1.jpg

I have made a few hills, a few forests, a residential neighborhood and even several castles. Also, many of the deco buildings I have made can be placed on the distant terrain.

Residential+Neighborhood+Screenshot+1.jpg
A residential neighborhood as a single object.

I was highly reluctant to make this kit, and whether I continue work on it sort of depends on whether there is any interest in a project like this and the reception it gets.

Future additions would include more hill objects, towns, rivers, roads, mountains, cityscapes and even a full sized airport, like LAX. I have backburnered a modular mesh which allows the creation of hills, mountains and other local relief with a minimum of meshing skills.

Comments

• Lennon777Lennon777 Posts: 786 New Member
    edited November 2011
    awesome-pleae keep supporting this-it's another one of your masterpieces as a world designer!
  • katana_xkatana_x Posts: 1,163 New Member
    edited November 2011
    I've been playing around in various meshing programs with the idea of creating a new DT that was similar to the mountain/island combo of Sunset Valley because I wanted both types of landscapes (but with new shapes, of course). It never actually occurred to me to make a *variety* of DT objects that could be mixed and matched to create a particular scene. It's quite genius, really.

I'm more interested in the natural elements like new rivers, but man-made objects really make a neighborhood look more realistic unless you're strictly playing an isolated old-fashioned world, which I generally don't do. I like the idea of an airport. I love the customization possibilities that this whole project presents, with the ability to make a terrain that is as natural or as urban as the creator wishes. I can't wait to make really beautiful natural landscapes studded with distant buildings and objects; I think I want to play with a similar idea myself to get some coastline in there.

I'll be watching this very closely and I definitely hope you continue working on this project. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • AlastairAlastair Posts: 36 New Member
    edited November 2011
    This is exactly what I need, a simple distant terrain that hides the sea and doesn't require my world to match a EA world without the DT being gappy.
  • SmartTrek8699SmartTrek8699 Posts: 472 Member
    edited November 2011
    yea Ive downloaded the kit as well as most of the other stuff u have on both your blogs (not the Naughty stuff though I got kids that play too) butonly about half of your stuff show in CAW for me Ive cleared the cashes and the like dont want to really do a clean install of the games right now any idea what might be making them not all show up)
    edited November 2011
    It's really easy to enable objects for CaW, takes about 30 seconds:

Open the package with s3pe.

Scroll down and select the OBJD file, then hit the Grid button at the bottom to edit it.

In the popup window, open CommonBlock > BuildBuyProductStatusFlags and change the value of Unknown7 to 0x01.

Hit the Commit button at the bottom of the popup window, and don't forget to save your package.
  • SmartTrek8699SmartTrek8699 Posts: 472 Member
    edited November 2011
    as far as I know all TJ stuff is Caw enabled already but Ill take a look at that this weekend
    edited November 2011
    Unfortunately, that's not accurate. The very first file I checked (Stone Henge) is not CaW-enabled, so I'd definitely be willing to bet it's not the only one.

That said, TJ is clearly far more versed in this material than I am, so there's probably a reason. Likewise, I can only speak for the files as they are when extracted to packages, since I don't mess around with Sims3Packs very often.
  • tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited January 2012
    katana_x wrote:
    Unfortunately, that's not accurate. The very first file I checked (Stone Henge) is not CaW-enabled, so I'd definitely be willing to bet it's not the only one.

For some reason, completely unknown to me, items which have been enabled for CAW, do not work when extracted to packages. This has not always been the case. Prior to Generations, there was no problem with this. But Generations did something, I don't know what. And I really don't care to investigate beyond that.

So, all of my stuff is in Sims3packs, where they continue to work just fine. In fact, I just placed Stonehenge in Flatworld (one of my testing worlds) without any problems.

It's real simple, just double click on the sims3pack, and the launcher does all of the work for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • TheFancyJeansTheFancyJeans Posts: 3 New Member
    Ahhh I really need this and the blog link doesn't work anymore!
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Hey there, going to go ahead and close this thread off as it's been inactive for quite some time. For further info about necroposting you can go here
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top