This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

***STOLEN Pets exchange item from me and possibly others.

An Exchange user has taken my original Doberman Pinscher creation I made a long time ago on Sept. 27th and uploaded it as his own on Nov. 4th without asking for permission or giving me credit for my original work. There is very minimal changes made, only the fur shape slider tweaked slightly and made the markings a darker brown shade. Everything else is the identical creation. I sent them a friend request hoping to easily resolve this yet they have refused to accept so far so I have no contact with this user and it is making the situation much more difficult. Also when I tried to install his version after downloading the launcher said "This file is already installed". Here are some comparison animations showing the same dog:

Original:
http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4635911
Stolen:
http://de.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4786019

DobieAnimation1.gif
DobieAnimation2.gif
DobieAnimation3.gif

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,559 Member
    edited November 2011
    Why can't people just put stuff they like on their favorites page? Llandra made some cool horses. I like them, I recommended them, I put them on my Favorites page.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Michellec1980Michellec1980 Posts: 380
    edited November 2011
    Maybe they really didn't steal it. They just made changes that looked like your own
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited November 2011
    Maybe they really didn't steal it. They just made changes that looked like your own
    That's why I made the GIF's to show exactly how identical they are. You can't get that close to something, and I know exactly what sliders he changed too. There's also the identical layer list from mine and I made mine from scratch.
  • Options
    XOBABEXO3XOBABEXO3 Posts: 350 Member
    edited November 2011
    sorry I dont mean to seem rude, but you cant prove that they stole it from you, someone cant try to make a pet that looks more realistic with out someone saying they stole it from them?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    XOBABEXO3 wrote:
    sorry I dont mean to seem rude, but you cant prove that they stole it from you, someone cant try to make a pet that looks more realistic with out someone saying they stole it from them? tbh his looks better than urs.
    Oooh I see, thanks :wink:
  • Options
    ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited November 2011
    This isn't nearly as bad as when your content gets stolen on Spore. You could spend months crafting the best adventure for the game, only to have someone steal it and get all the glory.

That's why Maxis' web team added a "parent" code to their last patch to Spore, so that you could track who was the original creator. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    XOBABEXO3XOBABEXO3 Posts: 350 Member
    edited November 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    XOBABEXO3 wrote:
    sorry I dont mean to seem rude, but you cant prove that they stole it from you, someone cant try to make a pet that looks more realistic with out someone saying they stole it from them? tbh his looks better than urs.
    Oooh I see, thanks :wink:

not trying to be rude im just saying it seems like ur making a big deal over nothing :s
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    CK213 wrote:
    Why can't people just put stuff they like on their favorites page? Llandra made some cool horses. I like them, I recommended them, I put them on my Favorites page.
    Good question. I had the same problem over at the Spore exchange. Hundreds of people were uploading my creations as their own, most without even tweaking them at all, just the exact same file. That's why I left the Spore website and stopped creating all together.
  • Options
    KatelynRocksKatelynRocks Posts: 355 Member
    edited November 2011
    You are an amazing animal creator! I am very sorry that your creatio got stolen and then slightly edited and put back on the exchange. You can look at it as a compliment becuase you are such talented creator. However, I don't want to belittle the situation. It is extremely wrong for people to copy others hard work. i really hope you can get it resolved :D

Edit: Didn't fully read how close the scales were so edited my post :P
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    This isn't nearly as bad as when your content gets stolen on Spore. You could spend months crafting the best adventure for the game, only to have someone steal it and get all the glory.

That's why Maxis' web team added a "parent" code to their last patch to Spore, so that you could track who was the original creator. :mrgreen:
    Yeah, that's the exact same issue I had over there. If this is turning into the same deal I really don't know if I would keep uploading anymore, it's such a pain and people are very disrespectful about it. The parent code helped, but it didn't stop people.
  • Options
    ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited November 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    CK213 wrote:
    Good question. I had the same problem over at the Spore exchange. Hundreds of people were uploading my creations as their own, most without even tweaking them at all, just the exact same file. That's why I left the Spore website and stopped creating all together.
    Come back to Spore! There's a "Parent" code now that allows you to follow links back to the original creator!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    CK213 wrote:
    Come back to Spore! There's a "Parent" code now that allows you to follow links back to the original creator!
    Yeah, I wish it helped a lot more than it did :( Even with the parent code showing it was my creation, they would adamantly deny they stole it and even claimed they uploaded it before mine, even with obvious upload dates.
  • Options
    Brianna123Brianna123 Posts: 351 Member
    edited November 2011
    I can see how this would be frustrating, considering how much work you have put into your creations. I have downloaded the Doberman and the Pit. I haven't played the Doberman yet, but the Pit is amazing. I made a male and female (just added a brown patch to the female's face) They are amazing and just had a pup. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited November 2011
    I don't really know how you can tell if he really did steal your creation since alot of pets (in the same breed) sort of look alike IMO.

It could be that they're just really similar.
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited November 2011
    They don't look that similar to me, to be honest..
    There's not a whole lot of variation that can be done with the pets sliders, maybe it's just a coincidence.
  • Options
    Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited November 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    An Exchange user has taken my original Doberman Pinscher creation I made a long time ago on Sept. 27th and uploaded it as his own on Nov. 4th without asking for permission or giving me credit for my original work. There is very minimal changes made, only the fur shape slider tweaked slightly and made the markings a darker brown shade. Everything else is the identical creation. I sent them a friend request hoping to easily resolve this yet they have refused to accept so far so I have no contact with this user and it is making the situation much more difficult. There may also be a Rottweiler stolen from Mamiigood but I did not have time to download them both to look at the side-by-side. Here are some comparison animations showing the same dog:

Original:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4635911
    Stolen:
    http://de.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4786019

DobieAnimation1.gif
    DobieAnimation2.gif
    DobieAnimation3.gif

I reported them for plagiarism :) Hope it helps and they remove it :)
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I don't really know how you can tell if he really did steal your creation since alot of pets (in the same breed) sort of look alike IMO.

It could be that they're just really similar.
    A lot of creations on the Exchange look the same because they literally are the same animal, just the pre-made uploaded to the exchange. I take a lot of pride in the ones I make because I make them from scratch and take a lot of time on them. I checked all the sliders and they are identical to mine, just the fur thickness slider is different and he made the ears slightly shorter, everything else is the same. Also the layer list is identical with the exception of the front legs, and I made that list from scratch as it was not an EA pre-made layer list. It would be different if he would accept my friend request and we could talk about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    They don't look that similar to me, to be honest..
    There's not a whole lot of variation that can be done with the pets sliders, maybe it's just a coincidence.
    It's the small details in the head and face that I spent so much time on and would recognize them from a mile away, the body is slightly different because he lowered the fur slider.
  • Options
    ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited November 2011
    The pets are awfully similar and I wouldn't doubt that the creator made their dog off of your own. But unfortunately, it isn't stealing. The dogs, I have to admit, look almost identical but since it isn't the same it can't be identified as stealing. Isn't that why you upload in the first place, to have people download your creation? You should feel proud. You are getting credit for what you did. He is getting credit for what he did...with the help of EA.

There is only a limited amount of sliders after all, so it wouldn't be hard to make an almost identical dog without knowing. I, for one, doubt this is a matter of stealing off the exchange.

If anything, you should be proud.
    Maybe they could of given you a little bit of credit, if he happened to use yours, but it isn't required. Just remember the circumstances of the exchange and decide what you want to do from there.

Not to be rude or anything.
  • Options
    piratekitagpiratekitag Posts: 3,326 New Member
    edited November 2011
    I do enjoy your work and if this person did steal from you-that is terrible and I hope the situation is resolved.

That being said-In my honest opinion, there are more differences between his version and your version than change of color in fur and change of fur, at least from what I see .
    -Your version is more muscular and darker in color.
    -Your version's ears are slightly bigger(taller)
    -The dogs eyes are different shapes/angles.
    -The faces look slight different

Perhaps he did downloaded yours and used some layers from yours. If that is the case, he should indeed give credit.

I'm not saying you're lying, as I said if this person did indeed steal your work, it's terrible and I hope you work everything out. I hate when people steal others work, but just thought I'd mention some things I noticed.
  • Options
    ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited November 2011
    In complete agreement with piratekitag.
  • Options
    asterravosasterravos Posts: 3,415 Member
    edited November 2011
    It could be a matter of genetics and they just didn't realize how similar the dogs are. They might have downloaded yours, bred it with another dog and thought, 'hey, this is nice looking. I bet other's would enjoy this.' If you hadn't done a .gif image of them I would have said that they were totally different.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    asterravos wrote:
    It could be a matter of genetics and they just didn't realize how similar the dogs are. They might have downloaded yours, bred it with another dog and thought, 'hey, this is nice looking. I bet other's would enjoy this.' If you hadn't done a .gif image of them I would have said that they were totally different.
    Yeah, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt until I did side-by-side comparison, and then a superimposed screenshot over my own dog and was like.... "seriously?"

I really wish he would have accepted my friend request, that would make this a lot easier.
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited November 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    CK213 wrote:

we should have that for TS3 uploads!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    CK213 wrote:

we should have that for TS3 uploads!
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of people reporting others for uploading their creations without giving credit. I really don't know why people do that. Sure imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it still doesn't make you feel good.