The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can EA Do Anything Right?

EA Rant
It's been over two years since the release of Sims 3 and I have had enough of EA's useless coding within games.
Sims 3 is the least cache friendly game I know
Constant error 12, 13 and 16 codes all the time!
WHY HASNT THIS BEEN FIXED?!?! Its been two years!
Sims 3 is the ONLY game I know where you can't just install and play
No no no, you need to spend 50 to 100 hours doing stuff to make it run for 3 Sim days...

I play top of the range games on my PC, yet i can not play Sims
I have no custom content in my game
I have reinstalled the games over and over again
Started a new game on different maps
My Computer is DOUBLE the specs required
Yet error 12 always comes back...

After hours of optimizing my game to make the game last about 6 sims days without a error 12 code
Which was okish
So why since i have installed Pets things have gone from bad to worse?!?!
If someone can please come up with a solution to fix this problem please tell me

EA have always disappointed me.

I'm sorry for ranting... I just wish i could put the CD in and play the game... but it don't seem to be possible...

Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments

• GetafeGetafe Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2011
    What a surprise... The game just closed...
    This is beyond a joke EA...
    Please fix your current bugs before bringing out a new expansion =\
  • KikionparasKikionparas Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited October 2011
    What are your specs? And what expansion packs do you have installed?
  • 3332889033328890 Posts: 304 New Member
    edited October 2011
    The 12 code, may be because of memories. You have a mod, that stops them? That might help.
    edited October 2011
    Why does everyone ask for "specs"?
    I have a 6-core cpu.. and 16GB of RAM...
    Please don't ask for specs... I did say I have the specs of over double required...

and I have been told about the generations memories are causing problems... I installed it with all my mods a few days ago after watching a youtuber (but i have currently taken all the mods out to see if the mods were the problem, and they are not), but I'd say Generations was the best time I had playing sims... the least problems.

All the problems come when i installed Pets

Even loading the game
    Used to take 3/4 minutes, which i am happy with waiting
    I set a timer on my iPhone this morning... and it now takes 18 minutes... thats terrible!

Also I have ALL the sims EP's installed that are released.

I have done so much work getting this game to work, cus me and my family enjoy playing it (when it works)
    and whatever I do, its getting worse and worse.
    edited October 2011
    Because a lot of people moan and complain and claim to have "more than required" specs, so it's always good to check.

How come it used to take you 3/4 minutes to load the game?? Mine takes less than a minute and my computer is a lot less powerful than yours..

Have you remembered to delete the Cache files? Now don't attack me, just asking cos you didn't say!

I am only trying to help..
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited October 2011
    It takes 18 minutes for the game to load? :shock:
    My guess:
    1. Defrag your harddive
    2. shut down all unneccessary programs. These eat up processor time and memory.
    This space is for rent.
  • carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited October 2011
    wow mine takes seconds with over 2 gigs if cc and mods etc something is really wrong if they dont give their specs maybe they might not be as good as the person thinks??
  • mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Have you tried changing how it runs by limiting the cores the game uses to 2 or 4? Can't afford a 6 core cpu, but it has worked with other games that I have problems with crashing on my multi-core pc.
  • simgreensimgreen Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Why do we keep asking for specs?
    Well, that's because, sometimes one faulty spec can kill your game even though everything else is high-end. Sometimes, the game doesn't even like high-end things, too. TS3 doesn't support all high-end video cards, for one.

Then again, a common cause of crashing is the intervention of an anti-virus, too...
    As for the 18-minute loading time, I have no idea what your problem is there. The most I've waited was 10 minutes and that was before I upgraded. Now a minute is way too long and my computer, while far succeeding the requirements as well, isn't as powerful as yours.
  • corvusdeicorvusdei Posts: 345 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I'm on an 8-core on both machines now with a glut of RAM and I sometimes get error 12 and 16 if I use save-and-quit. I just go ahead and avoid save-and-quit in general, I find it tends to lead to corrupt files. I haven't had a crash since I stopped using it, as far as I can remember.

But yeah, it helps to know the exact specs, because some computers have really flashy CPUs but underpowered or esoteric GPUs, or are running weird OS setups, etc. Plus, one person's idea of 'twice the specs' is not nearly another's.
  • littlecoinlittlecoin Posts: 11 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I agree with Cyron43, probably best to defrag the harddrive.
    I was having problems with the sims 3 when it first came out, and when I defragged my hard drive it ran smoothly :) Same goes for the sims 3 pets.

Also, make sure you have enough space!
  • xenacullenxenacullen Posts: 3,474 Member
    edited October 2011
    How do u defrag your drivers?
    How come we cant download from
    the exchange either?Its irritating.
    EA needs 2 get on the ball & fix everything,
    a petition is in need 2 get them all 2 do their jobs...
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for your replies!
    I will defrag my hard drive when I am not working! xD

I have deleted the cache... and I have closed all programs in task manager (apart from things that windows needs to run)

I will see what i can do from what y'all have said

Thanks again!
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited October 2011
    EA have got it right for thousands of players who do not have these issues that is why they ask for specs .
  • StumbleduckStumbleduck Posts: 751 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Have you tried Game Booster? It shuts down unneeded processes for you when you choose to play a game. I use it for playing the sims. and I defrag after every time I play because it's easier that way.

I too had really long load times. Then I combined all my CC together and voila no more stalling and no more long load times. I was shocked! haha I still am I love s3pe
    edited October 2011
    Is it called Game Booster
    Download Now CNET Secure Download

CNET Editors' Rating:
    4.5 stars

Outstanding
    Average User Rating:
    3.5 stars out of 200 votes

See all user reviews

Special Offer

Game Booster Premium
    Upgrade to Game Booster Premium now for only $9.99.
    Buy Now

Quick Specs

Version: 3.1
    File size: 5.06MB
    Date added: October 28, 2011
    Price: Free
    Operating system: Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Server 2008/7/NT
    Total downloads: 1,070,652
    Downloads last week: 5,606
    Product ranking: #6 in Maintenance & Optimization
    See full specifications
    Add to my list
    Report a problem

Want it3
    Got it10
    Had it1

Read more: Game Booster - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18512_4-10913645.html#ixzz1cOb2xB32
    Can u give me the link?
  • Mondain38Mondain38 Posts: 235 Member
    edited October 2011
    Is your 18-minute TS3 load time accompanied by any sort of click/revv coming from your PC's hard drive? If your answer is "yes", then it's time for you to get a new hard drive. You see, sometimes when a game takes a long time to load, it's because your hard drive is going bad. The "click/revv" sound means that the hard drive's mechanism has some sort of problem that causes the HDD to repeatedly and randomly reset. Each time the HDD resets, your computer is unable to access the data on it. Hence, sometimes a bad HDD causes severe loading latencies in things like games. What I mean by the "revv" sound is a "motor" sound that increases in pitch. This happens because a malfunctioning HDD can actually stop spinning! You see, a computer's HDD is supposed to spin constantly as long as your computer is turned on. So... a bad hard drive is one thing you might consider what could be causing your 18-minute TS3 load time.

If your problem *is* a going-bad HDD, then if you don't get that HDD replaced soon, then sooner or later, you will one day boot up your PC, only to find that it mysteriously freezes up right after the Power-On Self-Test (POST), or perhaps you'll encounter the dreaded "A disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart" message.

How, you may ask, do I know these things? Personal experience.
    edited October 2011
    Where at do u delete the cache?
    edited October 2011
    xenacullen wrote:

Assuming you're using a PC, go to My Documents/Eletronic Arts/The Sims 3. In that folder there are the four cache files, called CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache and simCompositorCache.

Simply select the files and press delete/drag to the recycle bin. I do this every time I quit the game as it really helps keep it running smoothly. (:
    edited October 2011
    Thanks I apprieate it & I am using a dell windows 7 laptop...
  • TheCheezeAteMyCatTheCheezeAteMyCat Posts: 647 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Have you remembered to delete the Cache files? Now don't attack me, just asking cos you didn't say!
    Off topic, but how do you do that?
    -T
    Edit: Never mind, it's right above me. :oops:
    edited October 2011
    I deleted the cache files,ty...
  • corvusdeicorvusdei Posts: 345 New Member
    edited October 2011
    For more information on deleting cache files and special instructions for Mac users, see this wiki page:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Delete_Cache_Files
  • mrswoo5mrswoo5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    edited October 2011
    xenacullen wrote:

Assuming you're using a PC, go to My Documents/Eletronic Arts/The Sims 3. In that folder there are the four cache files, called CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache and simCompositorCache.

Simply select the files and press delete/drag to the recycle bin. I do this every time I quit the game as it really helps keep it running smoothly. (:

I always delete my cache files after playing, wow they sure build up especilly now with pets installed.
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited October 2011
    To the OP: I agree with the person who mentioned that using "Save and Quit" frequently causes Error 12 and I don't usually do that anymore just for that reason.

You didn't mention if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS. I have a 32 bit and had the same problems you mentioned when I got Generations. The game has a memory limitation and the higher OS seems to help with that, according to what others have told me. I finally resorted to installing Twallan's Overwatch MOD to help remove some of the extraneous autos, electronic equipment use, etc. in my game and since I did that (and avoid "Save and Quit"), I've had very few errors.