Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

At least ONE SKILL PER PET is broken? Is EA aware?

I know they are aware of the graphical bug with the distorted pet meshes, but are they aware that at least one skill per pet is broken?

Cats and Dogs can't Hunt.

Horses can't learn Racing Skills.

Then there's the new Riding Skill for Sims, which only works if you dismount the horse for a few players who have confirmed this.

Does EA know about these? Just want to make sure before I see the EP patch in the next 4 weeks or so. You know, so I know what to expect...

Comments

• Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited October 2011
    My cats and dogs can hunt just fine.

Of course both Overwatch and Awesomemod fix these skill-based issues, so EA needs to get around to patching it for those with mod-free games. I don't understand how stuff like this that's blatantly obvious gets through their testing. Bleh.
  • Options
    ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited October 2011
    CuddlyBun wrote:
    Of course both Overwatch and Awesomemod fix these skill-based issues, so EA needs to get around to patching it for those with mod-free games. I don't understand how stuff like this that's blatantly obvious gets through their testing. Bleh.
    It's supposedly a compatibility issue.

EA, from what I've observed, only tests their EP with the base game only. They don't test it compounded with the rest of the library.

It was first reported that maybe the Spell Book may have caused these Pets to lose their skill-learning abilities, but after several players came forward saying that they don't have the Spell Book and are seeing the errors, the most logical fall back is that it is some kind of compatibility issue with what EPs are installed with Pets.

It may very well be WA again, since the Hunting Skill for dogs nets you collectible fragments to make statues out of, like WA. Or it could be one of the other games that introduced new fish, since the cat version is essentially a different version of Fishing. The horses could be linked to Late Night, since that's when I noticed it was difficult to gain skill EXP for certain skills, like how the Gym no longer gives the boost it's suppose to when you work out there.
  • Options
    wingedkittenwingedkitten Posts: 101 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I have every expansion and no mods or CC and my cats and dogs can hunt and my horses can gain racing skill. I do not have the spell book thing.
  • Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited October 2011
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    CuddlyBun wrote:

EA, from what I've observed, only tests their EP with the base game only. They don't test it compounded with the rest of the library.

It was first reported that maybe the Spell Book may have caused these Pets to lose their skill-learning abilities, but after several players came forward saying that they don't have the Spell Book and are seeing the errors, the most logical fall back is that it is some kind of compatibility issue with what EPs are installed with Pets.

It may very well be WA again, since the Hunting Skill for dogs nets you collectible fragments to make statues out of, like WA. Or it could be one of the other games that introduced new fish, since the cat version is essentially a different version of Fishing. The horses could be linked to Late Night, since that's when I noticed it was difficult to gain skill EXP for certain skills, like how the Gym no longer gives the boost it's suppose to when you work out there.
    That explains how Generations broke World Adventures. The whole point of EPs are to expand upon the game. If EA doesn't test them all together, how do they know if they work? Is it "Oh, it installed okay so it must work fine"? EA are a bunch of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. ><

I actually never noticed the gym thing since it was never a problem with Awesomemod installed until people started asking about how to fix it on the forums. So many problems that are fixed by mods. Why can't EA open up the mods and see what the modder did and apply that to the game? It can't be that hard.
  • Options
    GaluminousGaluminous Posts: 657 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I have TS3, all EPs, zero mods and my Pets game works perfectly. I still think these issues should be solved for other users.
  • Options
    DameGiggsyDameGiggsy Posts: 416 Member
    edited October 2011
    Can't hunt, but my horses have no problem.
  • Options
    orca144orca144 Posts: 100 Member
    edited October 2011
    CuddlyBun wrote:
    ZeekSlider wrote:
    CuddlyBun wrote:

That explains how Generations broke World Adventures. The whole point of EPs are to expand upon the game. If EA doesn't test them all together, how do they know if they work? Is it "Oh, it installed okay so it must work fine"? EA are a bunch of 🐸🐸🐸🐸. ><

I actually never noticed the gym thing since it was never a problem with Awesomemod installed until people started asking about how to fix it on the forums. So many problems that are fixed by mods. Why can't EA open up the mods and see what the modder did and apply that to the game? It can't be that hard.

EA has been doing this all the time for all the expansions, its nothing new. I would rather have the game be released later if it meant majority of the tech issues would be gone. I don't understand why they can't take their time with the EPs. I think fans would be much happier if majority of the problems were resolved.
  • Options
    Westess13Westess13 Posts: 153
    edited October 2011
    I've never had any mods, very little CC that i do not play with and now have uninstalled from my game, and I've never owned the magic thing. My cat and dog hunt really well and my horse is great at racing and jumping :)
  • Options
    DonnaBothaDonnaBotha Posts: 40 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I don't have Late Night, but my horse's skill stopped on Level 5 for racing. Its really frustrating actually, it definitely dimmed the excitement for me.
  • Options
    MissCarinaMissCarina Posts: 24 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Same I have always played without mods. deleted the few hairstyles which were the only non store cc(though I hear these are working anyway) and neither dog or cat can hunt, havent tried horses yet. I do have the library I bought but never even tried the spell book xD

After generations ruined one of my saved games with the green/missing sim bug I stopped playing and I don't want that to happen again.. I am not a mod person but downloaded the new overwatch and I am going to try it now I guess.. whats the point of playing if the main pet perks aren't even working :roll:
  • Options
    Sbenja52Sbenja52 Posts: 139
    edited October 2011
    I tried everything they suggested to fix my hunting and racing issue. I finally did a clean uninstall, and installed each EP one by one and tested one by one. When I got to Ambition, the game started having issues. I have removed Ambition and am playing fine now. My only problem now is I can't seem to figure out how cats with hunting trait hunt.
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited October 2011
    My dogs can hunt just fine. I haven't tried with cats and horses aren't my thing so I haven't tried riding.

I had the issue with distorted pets on my desktop so I moved all my games to my laptop and I couldn't be happier. My game runs so much better and I have yet to hit any glitches.
  • Options
    pandora4copandora4co Posts: 729 Member
    edited October 2011
    I have twallan mods in now, but I played AP for two days mod free, and did not have any problems with skills for any type of animal. Note - I never did attempt to train a cat to hunt as I just found out how to do it, but had no problems with dogs hunting or horses/people learning the racing or riding skill. I will note though I don't own the spell book item from the store though...

I do think EA doesn't test it's EP's with previous EP's and now its premium store content correctly or at all.
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited October 2011
    Yep, it is the spell book, and as I just discovered, The fountain of youth from Hidden Springs is the cause of much of the lag, freezing and, freeze-crash problem. Uninstall them and, if it fixes your game, contact support and let them know as well as posting here about the problems.

NOTE: You can remove the fountain of youth and keep Hidden Springs.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yep, it is the spell book, and as I just discovered, The fountain of youth from Hidden Springs is the cause of much of the lag, freezing and, freeze-crash problem. Uninstall them and, if it fixes your game, contact support and let them know as well as posting here about the problems.

NOTE: You can remove the fountain of youth and keep Hidden Springs.
    Turns out that isn't the conflict between the skills.

Testing resulted in the possibility that a Skill Modifier script within the game itself is the problem. It has nothing to do with the DLCs you mentioned, as the problem presented itself on players game who don't have either installed.
  • Options
    AileriAileri Posts: 9 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I have the same problem. Horses seem to be able to learn racing skill (though I haven't taken it above lvl 3 yet ;P ) But neither cats nor dogs can learn the hunting skill. I tried for hours but it just isn't working XD I hope they make a patch for it soon, I want to see my cat hunt, haha ^^
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited October 2011
    My pets can hunt just fine and I haven't had a single issue with the riding skill. This is with, and without, mods. I do have the spellbook installed as well but it is currently not placed in the town I am playing.

You can't assume something is definitely a bug just because a couple people report it. You may not be using CC or mods in your own game, but you have no idea what they have going on on their end. Lots of people say they have no CC and then discover that they actually do, but they forgot where they had put it.

That's not meant as offense to you, I know you're just trying to be helpful. Some people are just far too easily startled when it comes to supposed "bugs" that either turn out to be a one-time random thing, or a problem with their CC.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited October 2011
    My pets couldn't hunt. However, I haven't had a problem with anything since I re-installed Twallan's mods into my game. :wink:
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited October 2011
    My cats and dogs can hunt and my Horse has gained racing skill. I have no mods that would fix it(I haven't gotten around to geting the new versions yet.) I only have Twallans Saver mod which prompts me to save every 15 minutes because my game crashes randomly.(sometimes after a few minutes, other times after an hour or so yet other times I can play for a couple hours and it doesn't crash at all.)

I guess it must be a hit or miss glitch.
  • Options
    keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    edited October 2011
    I can't get any of the 'skill bugs' to re-create in my game, so its defiantly a hit or miss one, my dogs are digging, my cats are hunting and my horses are jumping / racing fine with normal skill increases.
  • Options
    heb2008heb2008 Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2011
    My cats/dogs are able to hunt just fine and my horses can gain both the jumping and racing skill. I have no mods but I do have some CC. My computer is also pretty old (five or 6 years? maybe more?) and I don't even know if the graphics card is fully updated (should check that out sometime soon..). I do have the problem of my game being a bit laggy though, (like it will pause randomly but the green thing above their head will still move and when they're sleeping the z's will still move, it's just their actions stop completely) and it takes a few seconds, maybe 5-10, in order to start moving again. I think that's probably just because I have to clear up some more space on my computer and the fact that Sims just takes up a lot of CPU. So all in all, I don't have the skill problem/glitch.

I don't know why some people get all these glitches and some don't, (people with the same graphics card may or may not have the problem), I just know that the EA team is most likely coming out with an update soon. Just remember, it's only been out for a week so you can't really say "I hate this game" or "EA you did such an awful job" just because of the glitches you're having that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual game. The game itself is terrific, and I know a lot of you are having serious problems (and I do feel bad!) but it's like everyday people are just complaining, whining, etc. Calm down! I'm sure a solution will come out for this eventually! Try not to rain on others' parade because I know when I see all these negative posts it often gets me down. Sure, you're having problems and you want to find out why but EVERYDAY there are new complaining/whining posts asking the same questions and complaining about the same exact things. It sort of gets annoying. Just search for your answer before ranting on and on about all your technical problems.

I hope you can understand that this is solely my own opinion, but I really think some of you should take it into consideration. Thank you :)
  • Options
    AileriAileri Posts: 9 New Member
    edited October 2011
    @StarlingGray
    and @heb2008

I don't feel like I, or any of the other "problemchildren" on this thread have whined or complained or called the Sims 3 a bad game in any way. We're only pointing out that we're having problems and are wondering why the developers' team haven't been able to fix it.
    I find you a little selfish that you're telling us to stop whining about the main skills of the exp. pack not working because it ruins your experience on the forums.

but ... "I hope you can understand that this is solely my own opinion, but I really think some of you should take it into consideration. Thank you" right back at ya :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Aileri wrote:
    @StarlingGray
    and @heb2008

I don't feel like I, or any of the other "problemchildren" on this thread have whined or complained or called the Sims 3 a bad game in any way. We're only pointing out that we're having problems and are wondering why the developers' team haven't been able to fix it.
    I find you a little selfish that you're telling us to stop whining about the main skills of the exp. pack not working because it ruins your experience on the forums.

but ... "I hope you can understand that this is solely my own opinion, but I really think some of you should take it into consideration. Thank you" right back at ya :D

I don't see where in my post I ever called anybody a whiner. I just pointed out that you can't assume something is a bug with the game itself just because a few people have it. There are sometimes a dozen reasons why a bug can crop up in somebody's game, and it isn't always a problem with the game itself.

I will add that even if you guys are correct and it really is a bug with the game, just because it hasn't been fixed already doesn't mean it won't be. It generally takes EA about a month to two months to release a patch for an EP. Just be patient.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I will add that even if you guys are correct and it really is a bug with the game, just because it hasn't been fixed already doesn't mean it won't be. It generally takes EA about a month to two months to release a patch for an EP. Just be patient.
    It took them two years to fix the excavation bug.

And a lot of us ran out of patients for that fix around the time Late Night came out. Generations made it worse because by that point WA was unplayable with various compatibility bugs.

While they may have fixed the excavation bug now, the fact still stands that it took them two years to do it. Some even think they fixed it by accident thanks to the introduction of the Dog Hunting Skill, which functions the same way. You just "reduce the code" for the skill by using the existing code.

It took a modder two weeks at the least to fix the excavation bug when it was found. It took another modder two days to fix the Pet Skill bugs we are seeing how.

I'd like to think that I'm patient, but I'm currently running tests with Horses in my game and the three skills associated with those pets. All of them are acting strange with no clear sign as to why. Something broke, and if I'm to go buy the in-game lessons, I'd say we are dealing with another script modifier for horses specifically. Why? Because the Riding Lesson clearly states that Sims with a high Riding Skill give a learning bonus to the horses they ride when training them in Racing or Jumping. Sounds an awful lot like the Vampire bonus from Late Night that actually killed the "Go to the Gym and get a boost when you work on your Athletic Skill" feature from the base game. (Which, BTW, is still broken.)

I'm not expecting the EP Patch that's coming to fix this issue unless someone can verify that EA is aware that the main skills for all the Pets are broken, and the conditions in which they are broken vary from source.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Zeek, you're absolutely right that there's a chance it won't get fixed by a patch. I know EA's track record when it comes to that kind of thing just as well as you do. I merely stated that if it is going to be patched, it won't be immediately like some people seem to be expecting. The game's only been out for a week in the US and some people are already like "ZOMG WHERE IS THE PATCH!!??" I know this happens with every EP. I'm just enjoying the entertainment.

For people who can't wait on EA to have it fixed, Twallan's Overwatch mod corrects some of the problem as far as I'm aware. I personally don't have problems with any of the skills in my own game, at least not currently.