Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim can't fish.

PRAHQWANPRAHQWAN Posts: 28
edited February 27 in Nominated Threads
I don't know if this is related to the latest patch, but it did begin to happen after I installed it. The problem is my Sim can't fish anymore. If i try to fish, the fishing icon will appear in the queue, then disappear when the Sim gets close enough to the water to begin fishing.

I am on an iMac. So far I've tried the following:

1. Sold all seeds in my inventory.
2. ResetSim
3. Deleted all cache files and reloaded.
4. Removed everything from backpack.
5. Tried fishing in different spots, and fishing with different baits.
6. Deleted all opportunities and wishes.

A few other things that I should add. First, in addition to being unable to fish, my Sim was also unable to use the teleporter after the patch. The option to teleport wasn't being displayed when I right-clicked an area. If I right-clicked the teleporter, I only got the Upgrade options. This problem cleared after reseting my Sim. Secondly, my Sim was fishing heavily prior to the problem in an attempt to find the baits for the various fishes, so my backpack had a lot of different items in it.

Thanks for any help.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited October 2011
    I have the same problem so it's probably the patch. The only way I can fish is without bait.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited October 2011
    Bait fishing has been bugged for a while now. I never really found what the issue was.

Did you remove all your mods though ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• PRAHQWANPRAHQWAN Posts: 28
    edited October 2011
    I don't have any mods, have never used any, but thanks for the suggestion. I tried the following "fixes", but none worked.

1. Moved my household and sold all my furniture, deleting everything else in my Family Inventory, refrigerator and backpack.
    2. Bulldozed the original home.

Also, I found some other peculiarities of this bug in the process:

1. If I clear out my backpack, then I can use the FISH option, but then if I put something in my backpack and try to use it as bait, it doesn't work. In other words, I can only fish without bait.
    2. If I travel, then I can fish normally with bait in the other country.
    3. I can't fish at all, with bait or without, on or near my home lot. Even after I moved and bulldozed the lot, I could not go back and fish there.

I did some forum searches and found some postings about this bug. This might be a fix if you are using Windows.
    ---
    I just found a workaround for the fish bait and inspect water glitch. It's far from perfect, as you have to choose between fishing and seed gathering. Here's what I did.

1. Cleared cache with Delphy's Dashboard.
    2. Doing that fixed fish bait and inspect water glitch, BUT...
    3. Collected just one seed.
    4. The Inspect water and bait choice were broken again.
    5. Emptied seed from inventory.
    6. ***This did NOT fix the glitch.
    7. Closed game and used Delphy's Dashboard again.
    8. Restarted game and fish glitch once again was fixed.

(This only fixes community lot fishing, as the ponds at home are always glitched.)

Conclusion so far:
    If you've ever had seeds in your inventory at any time, the glitch will stay until the cache is cleared.
    ---
    Delphys Dashboard is Sims file manager (not a mod) for Windows. I use Mac, so it's not an option for me.
    In any case, I had a back up, so I'm playing normally without the patch.

• SiberianCloverSiberianClover Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    I've been unable to fish as well, just started today (had been fine for the past couple weeks) but now when I got to fish with bait my sim gets all the way there, but then just teleports home and will not fish :( This is annoying because his fishing is lvl 10 but I'm trying to get those journal achievements. :(
  • XMissMeXXMissMeX Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    :cry: Add me to this list. I was playing and fishing just fine all day today until I installed the latest patch/update (knew I should've just ignored it!). I love this game, but wish there weren't so many bugs.

Now I'm off to see if the patch made it so my sim can take a picture with an active opportunity.

• aprilsundaysaprilsundays Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    I've found a solution that sort of works.

Give your sim the Childish trait, and then they can fish in swimming pools. None of my sims can fish with bait in any ponds or rivers, but miraculously they can if they fish with bait in a pool. If you've never fished in a swimming pool, YES they actually catch fish, it just might take longer and it might be limited in variety. This at least fulfills the wish to "catch something with live bait" and "fish with BLANK".

If you want to catch the whole spectrum of fish in your pool, you can always use "buydebug on" and place fish spawners in there. That's what I do ;)
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2012
    Bait fishing resolved! I found the problem for why my sim would just stop fishing.
    The spawners got curpted just replace them and you can use bait again.

How to fix fishing with bait problem:

This does not have to do with any expansion pack but the pack or expansion pack my have cruppted the spawners.

Follow these steps to fix fishing with bait issues.

1. Go into edit town mode, pick a public commercial lot like for example I will just use the Big Park in Sunset Valley.

2. Go into build/buy mode, once lot loads go to lake water zoom in so you can see the water.

3. Next hit Ctrl=shift+C til the blue line comes up on top of your screen. now type "testingcheatsenabled true" and type buydebug on. You will know if it works because a new button will appear in the buy menu with a "?" on it. you can now see white boxes in the water just replace the ones that froze and you can fish with bait again!

4. turn off buydebug using Ctrl+Shift+C til the blue bar appears on your screen turn. Now type buydebug off and testingcheatsenbled false to exit out of the cheats.

5. Save hopefully if that works you should be able to fish with bait again. Please keep in mind that each command is on a separate line.

I hope this solution fixes your problems.

sincerely,
    Sid1701d
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • DART104DART104 Posts: 414 Member
    edited May 2012
    Sid,
    I tried your solution and it works like a charm! I'm so happy my Sims are fishing again!

Do you have a solution for the cell phone not working? I have two Sims in the household, neither could use their cell phones. I reset one and now she is using her phone. I reset the other sim a number of times, but he still will not use the cell phone (the camera is grayed out on the menu, too.) I purchased a wall phone and he WILL use the wall phone. ??

Thank you very, very much. :mrgreen:
  • New_RoostermanNew_Roosterman Posts: 402 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    Bait fishing resolved! I found the problem for why my sim would just stop fishing.
    The spawners got curpted just replace them and you can use bait again.

How to fix fishing with bait problem:

This does not have to do with any expansion pack but the pack or expansion pack my have cruppted the spawners.

Follow these steps to fix fishing with bait issues.

1. Go into edit town mode, pick a public commercial lot like for example I will just use the Big Park in Sunset Valley.

2. Go into build/buy mode, once lot loads go to lake water zoom in so you can see the water.

3. Next hit Ctrl=shift+C til the blue line comes up on top of your screen. now type "testingcheatsenabled true" and type buydebug on. You will know if it works because a new button will appear in the buy menu with a "?" on it. you can now see white boxes in the water just replace the ones that froze and you can fish with bait again!

4. turn off buydebug using Ctrl+Shift+C til the blue bar appears on your screen turn. Now type buydebug off and testingcheatsenbled false to exit out of the cheats.

5. Save hopefully if that works you should be able to fish with bait again. Please keep in mind that each command is on a separate line.

I hope this solution fixes your problems.

sincerely,
    Sid1701d

Just came across this glitch in my game and your suggested fixn worked a treat. Cheers. :)
  • EverythingRecordEverythingRecord Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2013
    OMG, thank you SO much. this worked flawlessly. once again, im so overwhelmed with joy. THANK YOU SO MUCH. i can finally make ambrosia :D
  • ppeeweeeeppeeweeee Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Didn't work for me. :(

Do you have to find the spawner that is corrupt? And how can I use this method not on a lot? I think that the corrupt one is in a river in the middle of nowhere!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top