Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAP Demo - ♦ Issues & Solutions Here ♦ - New CAP Demo Available - See First Post

Comments

• Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    edited September 2011
    smjjames wrote:
    Anybody know if EA has messed up worse than this? I know its all in perspective and in my experience (besides wrecking Spore) this is just about the worst.

I can only speak for myself but for me this is the biggest FUBAR yet!!!
  • SimsVIP_AdminSimsVIP_Admin Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited September 2011
    NinjaPuppy wrote:

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
    2.00GB
    32-bit operating system

Honestly I've never had any problems with Sims products on this save for Late Night.

Have you updated your drivers?
  • betty_me13betty_me13 Posts: 3,285 New Member
    edited September 2011
    1- Issue(s) I can't start/play my game. The launcher is getting the "error during startup" error

2- Windows or MAC & which Operating System
    Windows, Windows 7

3- Do you have any new Game Folders in your Game File? Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3
    Specifically these two: Collections and SavedOutfits or any others? I have the Collections and SavedOutfits folders

4- Do you have MODS? No

5- What language is your Sims 3 game? English

6- What language is your CAP Demo? English

7- Are your games Digital or Physical Discs? Physical Discs

Please tell us how to fix it :(
    edited September 2011
    For those who are unable to start the game via the launcher: Follow these steps and let me know if you are able to start the game via the shortcut.

Start up Game Without Launcher

This will avoid the launcher and help me narrow it down. There are two launchers now and something is conflicting. :x
  • smjjamessmjjames Posts: 1,815 New Member
    edited September 2011
    For those who are unable to start the game via the launcher: Follow these steps and let me know if you are able to start the game via the shortcut.

This will avoid the launcher and help me narrow it down. There are two launchers now and something is conflicting. :x

Why they even have two launchers is the question. Also, in the CAP demo launcher, I've noticed that all but the welcome and uploads buttons are greyed out.
  • KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited September 2011

Nope still wont work.
  • NinjaPuppyNinjaPuppy Posts: 101
    edited September 2011
    NinjaPuppy wrote:

Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
    2.00GB
    32-bit operating system

Honestly I've never had any problems with Sims products on this save for Late Night.

Have you updated your drivers?
    I think so, but the scan isn't finished yet. For all I know they may have released something while I wasn't paying attention.
  • SpiderCrowWolfSpiderCrowWolf Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2011
    I got the game to play by deleting the 4 cache files in the sims 3 folder and the idx thing from the dccache folder. I haven't tried to put the mods or downloads back in. Guess I'll have to start another world to see what happens.
  • betty_me13betty_me13 Posts: 3,285 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the link SimsVIP Admin, but my game is still not working. It'll look like it's starting, but a thing will pop up saying that the sims has stopped working.
  • XxAkiraXx1XxAkiraXx1 Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited September 2011
    If I did put this demo on a separate computer without any sims games it wouldn't mess up the computer correct?
  • BlasphemieBlasphemie Posts: 246 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I am about to cry I am so upset. Today is my birthday and I have to spend it all alone and all I wanted to do was play the sims. I am super excited about pets & so ofcourse I dl the thing to try it out :( Now I can't play.

I try to open the launcher and it just gives me an error. All my games are actual discs and I can't reinstall because I don't have one of them.

I tried this and it didn't work. As soon as I click it a black screen comes up then it says sims has to close. I have windows xp

Worst birthday ever :(
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited September 2011
    I bypassed the Launcher by creating a shortcut for the demo from the Origin Games folder. I created a shortcut to the icon that says CAP demo. (It needs to be the application file).

At first, it loaded up fine, then crashed. Then I removed my mods folder and loaded it up again, no problems. I even checked my downloads folder and all my store content and other Sims3pack files are all there. I haven't, however, loaded up the game yet. I'll reinstall my mods folder and use the shortcut that bypasses the Launcher to see how that works.

I am not planning to uninstall the demo until I get Pets. I will use it to practice making our family pets, which is hard to do in the dog's case.

Edit: Okay I did lose a custom world-Meadow Glen, but I still have the 3 neighborhoods (I didn't install Riverworld) so I'm good. I'll just start a new game in Sunset Valley.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    edited September 2011
    XxAkiraXx1 wrote:
    If I did put this demo on a separate computer without any sims games it wouldn't mess up the computer correct?

As of what we know now, no it will not bother your computer. As a matter of fact I would suggest installing this on a computer without Sims 3 games you play.
    edited September 2011
    Here is one solution offered that can *try* to fix the game without re installing. Resetting game to Factory Settings

Until I sit and play with this program a bit more this is the only solution I have for those of you who cannot play atm. Once I get a few hours in of testing, I can figure out what is causing the launcher breakage and game crashing.

Also please be sure to completely remove the Create a Pet Demo Folder and file from the computer.

• SCDS1997SCDS1997 Posts: 2,687
    edited September 2011
    I have a Mac so I can't do the demo :( Why do they always leave us Mac users out? Create A World, Create A Pet Demo, Origin Downloader thingy, Digital Download (EA)
    edited September 2011
    SCDS1997 wrote:
    I have a Mac so I can't do the demo :( Why do they always leave us Mac users out? Create A World, Create A Pet Demo, Origin Downloader thingy, Digital Download (EA)

Its available for MAC as well
  • esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited September 2011
    Here is one solution offered that can *try* to fix the game without re installing. Resetting game to Factory Settings

Until I sit and play with this program a bit more this is the only solution I have for those of you who cannot play atm. Once I get a few hours in of testing, I can figure out what is causing the launcher breakage and game crashing.

Also please be sure to completely remove the Create a Pet Demo Folder and file from the computer.

I just want to say thank you for being willing to take the time to try and help everyone with this. I hope you can figure out what's wrong so everyone can get to enjoy this Demo. You have a good heart. :)
    edited September 2011
    XxAkiraXx1 wrote:

As of what we know now, no it will not bother your computer. As a matter of fact I would suggest installing this on a computer without Sims 3 games you play.

thats good only problem is I don't have origin on that computer haha I might have to wait until a solution to the problem is found and then install it with my game.
  • SCDS1997SCDS1997 Posts: 2,687
    edited September 2011
    OMG Thank you soooo much I was so depressed THANKK UUU
  • ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited September 2011
    1- Issue(s) you are having/noticing since installing the Demo
    Entire DLC library has uninstalled itself. Backed-up my saved games prior to discovering this.

Windows XP SP3

3- Do you have any new Game Folders in your Game File? Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3

Specifically these two: Collections and SavedOutfits or any others?

I apparently have both of those new folders now...

4- Do you have MODS?
    Nope.

5- What language is your Sims 3 game?
    English US

6- What language is your CAP Demo?
    English US (or at least I think it is)

7- Are your games Digital or Physical Discs?
    All games are physical copies.
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I found a solution for the problem. Hope you have a backup of your gamedata!
    So at first I wasn't able to start my Sims game after I have installed that demo. After uninstalling it my game still crashed.
    Then I restored the DCCache folder from a backup and everything is back to normal! :D

So that ******* demo irreversibly malforms the installed cc databse!
    I have no idea what you are talking about. The only things I've backed up are my saved games, my DLC, my Saved Sims folder, and my Export folder.

Does anyone recommend those with just the DLC problem do another factory restart and slow reinstall of all DLC? I really don't want to spend tomorrow doing that, but if I have to, then so be it.
  • KimbeeKimbee Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2011
    All Installed contact was deleted, no longer saved anywhere on my computer. All saved games were deleted, no longer saved anywhere on my computer. The "demo" only offered the option to create a dog, no cat or horse option available.

Windows, Windows 7

No

No

4- Do you have MODS?
    None

English

English

Physical Discs

Just a side note, I'm getting really frustrated with EA. I've been a very loyal customer and rush out to get the next expansion and any stuff packs when they come out. I'm willing to forgive a LOT, but this is the fourth time this year that I'm having to do a complete uninstall/reinstall (just looked & my last full reinstall was 6/30/11 - I guess almost 3 months might be a record!). If that were the game, then I'd be having a great time, but it's not. I just wish that things were properly tested before they were released - aka: don't send out an email that announces an awesome new demo without making sure that it won't FUBAR everyone's game when they install it.

BTW - thank you for trying to help everyone, I really think it's great that you're taking the time to try to help. I'm just frustrated with EA because I'm now off to spend my night doing yet another uninstall/reinstall and redownloading every single item of downloadable content AGAIN. I've been trying to play Legacy style games, but it's not really worth attempting if I can never get past generation 2 without having to do a reinstall.
    edited September 2011
    @Kimbee - Please See this before you uninstall.
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2011
    Ok guys, thanks to SimsVIP_Admin for making this thread. We have been chatting all evening (for me) trying to figure out what's going on but have not yet found a reason. It's all very confusing.

I'd say the main issues are: Game not starting and content being uninstalled.

I will do some research tomorrow for it's bed time for me now. I try to keep you posted in my blog and I'm sure SimsVIP_Admin will keep you posted here.

All I can do atm is advise you to either NOT install the demo at all or use a computer you don't have the game installed (or don't care about). Backup your stuff.

Keep bumping guys.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• KrazyAngelKat81KrazyAngelKat81 Posts: 492 Member
    edited September 2011
    So Very Angry with EA right now.
    I stupidly didn't back up, I assumed it would be a separate programme like CAP, and now my game feels ruined :evil:

Please report the following info.

-Store content, including worlds, and CC is no longer recognised by the launcher or the game.
    - The launcher itself is taking an abnormally long time to load.

- Windows 7 Professional

Yes I had both of those.

4- Do you have MODS?
    - no, only CC. All Sims 3 Pack format

English

US English

Discs.

Sincerely hope that there will be a fix for this, I love the game but this is putting me off big time. :evil:

I uninstalled the demo, that didn't work.
    I tried system restore to before I installed the demo, that didn't work :-(
    KrazyAngelKat81's Links:
    My Simblr (Tumblr): Love and Scenery Sims 4
    My Official Sims 4 Downloads:
    LandSS4%20Banner.jpg
    edited September 2011
    I think I have come to the conclusion that I will not be installing the CAP demo until either EA fixes it with a patch or someone fixes the majority of people's problems with a good solution.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top