Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Stutter on Quad Core - fix found

Hey all,

I bought the Sims 3 and ever since then I have been getting severe stuttering issues, even when the game was running over 60 FPS. I've read numerous reports of this happening with many people. I tried all the options I could find, but none of them worked.

After spending a day trying to fix it I believe I have finally found the solution. Oddly enough, I found the solution in a thread on the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Official Forums.

Step 1 : ctrl + alt + delete to task manager
Step 2: Right click on the Sims 3 Application and select 'Go to process.'
Step 3: Right click the process and 'set priority' to 'high'
Step 4: Right click the process again and click 'set affinity.' Uncheck the box for CPU3.

Those steps completely removed all the stuttering(granted the occasional stutter still occurs, but that is due to my video card and not the game).

I know I didn't come up with this solution, but I figured I'd post it here in case anyone missed it. It made The Sims 3 so much more enjoyable for me.

Good luck.

Comments

• crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm so trying that. Thank you for posting.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

edited August 2011
    OK. I have a question for you. Why uncheck CPU 3 ? What about if you have an i7 ? Should you uncheck anything higher then 3 ?
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• HalloPumpkinHalloPumpkin Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    crinrict wrote:
    OK. I have a question for you. Why uncheck CPU 3 ? What about if you have an i7 ? Should you uncheck anything higher then 3 ?

That's the fourth core of my processor, making it run on only three cores instead. If you have more cores than four I figure you would only leave two or three boxes checked, and the rest unchecked.
    edited August 2011
    Ok. And what's the advantage of only using 3 cores ? I don't really get that part (the high priority thing totally makes sense to me).
    AHQ Tutorial

• bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited August 2011
    Wondering if this applies to AMD and Intel?
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Godsgirl33337Godsgirl33337 Posts: 110 Member
    edited August 2011
    I tried doing this, and it wouldn't let me. It said that access is denied. Do you know how I can bypass that?
    edited August 2011
    Do you have administrative rights on your Computer ? If not, that might be the problem.

Try starting the Game with administrative privileges. Maybe that will help.
    AHQ Tutorial

edited August 2011
    crinrict wrote:
    Do you have administrative rights on your Computer ? If not, that might be the problem.

Try starting the Game with administrative privileges. Maybe that will help.

I'm pretty sure that I do. I also made sure that I'm running the Sims 3 as an administrator. Is there something I'm missing?
    edited August 2011
    Not sure. What OS do you have ?

When is it saying that ? When you want to change the settings ?
    AHQ Tutorial

edited August 2011
    crinrict wrote:
    Not sure. What OS do you have ?

When is it saying that ? When you want to change the settings ?

I have Windows 7, and it is saying that when I right click and try to change the settings.
  • jynxkidjynxkid Posts: 8 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I think this might be the problem I'm having, but could you explain ;ole with details what the stutter is?
    edited August 2011
    I don't think this is a universal solution for ALL quad core cpu's.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
    edited August 2011
    I have Windows 7, and it is saying that when I right click and try to change the settings.

Sorry, no idea.
    AHQ Tutorial

• UbastiUbasti Posts: 297 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I have the same, I can't change the settings even when I'm using the game as administrator and have all the priviledges. I can change other programs, though, so it seems to be just The Sims 3 that I can't change. :/

I'm running on W7 64 bit, with 6 cores.
    edited September 2011
    I found that you can only change the process if you DO NOT start the game as administrator.
    AHQ Tutorial

• andinic28andinic28 Posts: 2,719 New Member
    edited March 2012
    I only have cpu o and cpu 1 do I uncheck one of those?
  • Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited March 2012
    andinic28 wrote:
    You have a dual core CPU then. I would not recommend unchecking anything in your case as that would limit the game to one core, and you don't want that.

I had a Core 2 Duo (dual core) when this thread was done and I read it back then. I have a Core i5 (quad core) now and don't have any issues.

That being said, I have two guesses (pure guesses here).

Looking around some files once, the game gives a "threading" rating from between one and three. I wonder if limiting it to three cores helped? Oddly, my Core 2 Duo had a threading rating of three by the game.

The other could be due to Hyper-threading? My Core i5 doesn't have it, so every thread the OS sees is a real core. I wonder if Hyper-threading is part of it. I remember some people saying the game was better optimized/tested on the AMD Phenom IIs over the earlier (Nehalem) Core i7s and Core i5s of the time; something about AMD giving samples and Intel not doing so (?), but whatever the reason, the benchmarks I recall seem to confirm AMD performs closer to Intel here than usual. I think I remember some other Core i7 users saying disabling Hype-threading and/or cores helped them.

Again, just saw random guesses out of Left field. I don't know any technical details of the issues or symptoms. Some people with Core i7s don't have any issues. Core i3s have Hyper-threading too (dual cores with Hyper-threading).
  • andinic28andinic28 Posts: 2,719 New Member
    edited March 2012
    andinic28 wrote:
    You have a dual core CPU then. I would not recommend unchecking anything in your case as that would limit the game to one core, and you don't want that.

I had a Core 2 Duo (dual core) when this thread was done and I read it back then. I have a Core i5 (quad core) now and don't have any issues.

That being said, I have two guesses (pure guesses here).

Looking around some files once, the game gives a "threading" rating from between one and three. I wonder if limiting it to three cores helped? Oddly, my Core 2 Duo had a threading rating of three by the game.

The other could be due to Hyper-threading? My Core i5 doesn't have it, so every thread the OS sees is a real core. I wonder if Hyper-threading is part of it. I remember some people saying the game was better optimized/tested on the AMD Phenom IIs over the earlier (Nehalem) Core i7s and Core i5s of the time; something about AMD giving samples and Intel not doing so (?), but whatever the reason, the benchmarks I recall seem to confirm AMD performs closer to Intel here than usual. I think I remember some other Core i7 users saying disabling Hype-threading and/or cores helped them.

Again, just saw random guesses out of Left field. I don't know any technical details of the issues or symptoms. Some people with Core i7s don't have any issues. Core i3s have Hyper-threading too (dual cores with Hyper-threading).

Thanks for your help :mrgreen:
    edited March 2012
    Garnet_Alexandria - Some time back I started comparing Intel to AMD and after some bench marks the AMD seemed to execute code cleaner but not quite as fast. With Intel hyper-threading every core has extra registers connected to the same internal bus (simple explanation). All cpu's have microcode that controls operation. I feel AMD micro code is cleaner but this all depends on what kind of code your trying to compare to. This is my opinion. I remember ordering an Intel Extreme chip and was told I'd be put on a list. I never got it. I've been using AMD for some time now. Have had few problems and good support.
  • ssaffssaff Posts: 27
    edited September 2012
    Re:
    Hey all,
    Step 3: Right click the process and 'set priority' to 'high'
    Step 4: Right click the process again and click 'set affinity.' Uncheck the box for CPU3.
    -
    Thanks A Lot.
    Will see how this goes.
    (New to Sims since Jan. 2012) - yet with "old" quad core 4 this could make a lot of difference.
    "It Makes Sense You Know It Does"
    :D
    edited September 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    I found that you can only change the process if you DO NOT start the game as administrator.
    Hi crinprict - Thanks for the info; however, I was able to set the Processor Affinity (for 'Sims3LauncherW.exe') to *uncheck* CPU 3. [Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3].
    Thanks for your post, as you have prompted me to find a previously-saved 'DxDiag*.txt' file and look more closely at what hardware is in situ. ThanX :D
    edited November 2012
    I tried doing this, and it wouldn't let me. It said that access is denied. Do you know how I can bypass that?
    - Could it be that you are logged on to (Windoze) as 'Guest' rather than 'Administrator' ? (I'm running Win XP Service Pack 3 [32 bit]) and have no probs disabling the third of the quad core CPU; nor with re-setting the priority.)
    HopeThisHelps
  • maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited November 2012
    what if you're running on 2 cores :lol:
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
    edited November 2012
    This thread I think only applies if your cpu has 4 cores. I think that may help code execution by eliminating a core. This solution has worked for some. I don't recommend reducing any of the cpu's power. If you have 2 or less cores I recommend leaving cpu settings alone especially if you don't know what these setting do. I have dual core cpus and now have a 6 core cpu and I have not changed any of the cpu settings.
  • soupy99soupy99 Posts: 10
    edited November 2013
    Wow, this is way better. Thanks so much.