Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw Troubleshooting ......Your Currently Installed Version of the Game is not Compatible...FIX HERE

Comments

• Options
    SimericPSimericP Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    Sorry for the double post but I have one more small question.

I'm thinking its because my video card sucks but when I try to zoom into my "world" it disappears. Well by disappears I mean I see the shadow of it but not the actual land mass that I'm working on.

Do you think I need a new video card or update (whichever is done) or is my computer just too slow and old to handle CAW?
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited September 2011
    It may not be your computer, as I've heard of that happening to people with fairly high end pc's. Try zooming all the way in, as close to the ground that you can, while still in Caw, before you go into EIG. This has helped some people. Also, move the Draw Distance all the way to the right before going into EIG. You'll find it on the top menu under View/Camera Settings.

25jz62o.jpg
  • Options
    jackyluvs2bitejackyluvs2bite Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Sorry, I've been out for a few day's. I'll try and answer questions.

Chocoloti,
    Read through this thread, and see if it helps. The op was on an XP as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=452504 If you're still having problems, post right on that thread, and Simsample will see it. Simsample is the best troubleshooter for Caw, and knows tons more than I do.

SimericP
    From what I understand, you only need to change one file.

Okay, I took some pics to help clarify.

Click on "My Computer", and navigate to:
    C:
    Programs(x86)
    Electronic Arts or *Origins Games*
    Sims 3 Generations, or the latest EP you have installed.

**Side Note: I have a Digital Download from the EA store. After I recently reinstalled all the games, my Digital Downloads show up in the Origins Games folder instead of Electronic Arts, so you may need to look there.

e16um0.jpg"width=325"2moqt82.jpg"width=325"

Now go to;
    Game
    Bin
    Default, just click on it.

11c8p78.jpg

Now just change those two highlighted numbers to this
    CompatVersion = 12
    WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 9

I did this all an noticed my game versions we different, but I ran all and any update :-/

2zpp3q9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    That's right, Caw version 1.11.12 is the newest, and the base game is version 1.24
  • Options
    KickRamoneKickRamone Posts: 302 New Member
    edited September 2011
    I just ran through all this information. It was very helpful. Thanks to all those who figured this out and made it available.
  • Options
    JCreigns4everJCreigns4ever Posts: 7 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Sorry, I've been out for a few day's. I'll try and answer questions.

Chocoloti,
    Read through this thread, and see if it helps. The op was on an XP as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=452504 If you're still having problems, post right on that thread, and Simsample will see it. Simsample is the best troubleshooter for Caw, and knows tons more than I do.

SimericP
    From what I understand, you only need to change one file.

C:
    Programs(x86)

**Side Note: I have a Digital Download from the EA store. After I recently reinstalled all the games, my Digital Downloads show up in the Origins Games folder instead of Electronic Arts, so you may need to look there.

Now go to;
    Game
    Bin

11c8p78.jpg

CompatVersion = 12

I don't know how many uninstalls, reinstalls, patching, and Googling around I did, but this is what ultimately worked- YEEEEESS!!!!

FYI- I was getting not compatible version, reinstall error thingy when trying to open CAW. My PC runs on Windows XP, and all I have for expansions are World Adventures, High End Loft Stuff, Ambitions, and Late Night.

I do have to admit that when I made the above quoted changes, it did take some brains to remember to SAVE those changes. Seems as though it makes a difference. :roll:

THANK YOU THANK YOU for making this information available!!

Now here's to hoping I can actually remember how to use CAW.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Oo! thank you for pointing that out about saving. I think it is the single most missed step I do, then I'm thinking, "Well what the hey! that didn't work!" LOL!

I'll add that to the end of that post. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    aadddaaddd Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2011
    it worked thanks!
  • Options
    Lexy99071Lexy99071 Posts: 45
    edited September 2011
    I did what jackyluvs2bite Said to do But it wont let me save the file, Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    You can either open the file as administrator, or copy the file to desktop, edit it, then replace the one in the original location.
  • Options
    RedweesRedwees Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Thanks so much for posting this information! The Generations program incompatibility has been giving me issues forever.
  • Options
    stephie_piestephie_pie Posts: 15
    edited October 2011

C:
    Programs(x86)

Now go to;
    Game
    Bin

11c8p78.jpg

CompatVersion = 12
    I did this and went to save the default file, and was told "access denied".
    For anyone else having this problem and can't find the solution anywhere, save the default file on your desktop, edit and save there and then replace the actual uneditable version with this one :-o
  • Options
    RachzionRachzion Posts: 7 New Member
    edited October 2011
    So, I see all this stuff about what to do to the default notepad file on your latest ep, but what if im running on the base game only and im getting the error about it not finding the game data and that it wouldnt operate properly? do i just do the same thing to the file on my base game? ALSO i have nothing patched or updated and if it is doable, id like to avoid downloading anything for caw or the game. if its possible. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Okay, if you're running the base game, without any patches installed, you should be able to run the very first Caw. No, wait, I'm wrong, Caw came out after a few patches, so it would need those to run.

Here's a chart, and the corresponding caw tool download to go with each patch level.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3592794&postcount=18

Also go to this thread for more info.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=457349&goto=lastpost
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So if i go to my game launcher and fully update my game, caw will likely work for me? Idk, i guess i have the most recent version of caw if i downloaded it from the page on the sims 3 store today. :o
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    You said you did not want to patch? You will have to patch up to 1.8.25, which came out with World Adventures, uninstall the Caw you have, download Caw version 1.5.126. If you fully update through the launcher, you keep the Caw you have now, then you will have to do the workarounds for both Generations, and town Life. If you don't want to do the workarounds, my suggestion would be to manually patch to BG Version(1.21.123), and Caw Version(1.11.9). Caw gets a little improved with each new version, a bit less glitchy.

Archived WorldTool Downloads

This is not all of them, but the ones I still had on my computer. I will keep them updated going forward. A full list of patch versions for each EP & SP is on the Sims 3 Wiki here;
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Patch_Table

Direct download link to the currant WorldTool http://llnw.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/worldtool.exe

26. Jul.2011......BG Version(1.24.3).....Worldtool Version(1.11.12)
    03. Jun.2011.....BG Version(1.22.9)......Worldtool Version(1.11.10)
    31. May.2011....BG Version(1.21.123)....Worldtool Version(1.11.9)
    01. Feb.2011.....BG Version(1.19.44).....Worldtool Version(1.11.4)
    30. Nov.2010.....BG Version(1.18.9)......Worldtool Version(1.10.9)
    26. Oct.2010.....BG Version(1.17.60).....Worldtool Version(1.10.9)
    07. Sep.2010.....BG Version(1.15.34).....Worldtool Version(1.9.16)
    08. Jul.2010......BG Version(1.14.11).....Worldtool Version(1.9.14)
    23. Mar.2010.....BG Version(1.11.7)......Worldtool Version(1.6.72)
    15. Dec.2009.....BG Version(1.8.25).....Worldtool Version(1.5.126)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    lol i said i wouldnt patch, as this is not my computer and the owner has expressed her discontent with me downloading more than i have to xD , but if i must to get it working then i will. where can i go to find the individual patches up to 1.22.9? (havent done something like this in a while, sorry. ^_^")
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Caw seems to be a bit download intensive.

Try this http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Patching:Patch_Download/Archived/BG

Reread the last post, I changed which levels you'll need. Getting a bit confused, :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Hmm.. im debating on just updating my game to the latest v. and keeping the caw i have now. what are these workarounds youre talking about and why do i have to use them even if i dont have those expansions? :o
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    sorry for the double post, but i updated the game and got it running. its a little slow, but no more errors! thanks~
  • Options
    KalieSmithKalieSmith Posts: 66
    edited December 2011
    My problem is when i try clicking on CAW, it pops up but freezes instantly & says *Not Responding* :( I really wanna make my own world, what do i do? Pleaseeeeee help me!!
  • Options
    ruthsummersruthsummers Posts: 91 New Member
    edited December 2011
    I am curious as to if they have updated CAW for the latest patch?

Any news on this?
  • Options
    thatonegirl32thatonegirl32 Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2012
    KalieSmith wrote:
    My problem is when i try clicking on CAW, it pops up but freezes instantly & says *Not Responding* :( I really wanna make my own world, what do i do? Pleaseeeeee help me!!

I'm having the same exact problem since I installed the Pets patch.
  • Options
    JadeNightFireJadeNightFire Posts: 27
    edited January 2012
    Wait--does it open to Create-A-World, but says Not Responding at the top of the page? Sometimes, it does that for me, but generally resolves itself if I wait a moment or two. Admittedly, this tends to occur for me if it is doing something labor intensive, such as saving a large map or a lot of changes.

Or is it not responding and therefore, Windows wishes to close the program?
  • Options
    KTGreen19KTGreen19 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I cannot for the life of me figure this out... How do I know what numbers to change my CompatVersion and WorldCompatVersion to? I have the latest update of pets, but nothing further. I am so confused!