Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw Troubleshooting ......Your Currently Installed Version of the Game is not Compatible...FIX HERE

Comments

• KrystabelaKrystabela Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thank you for sharing this. I have all expansion packs, but none of the stuff packs and couldn't get it working. Your fix for Generations got it working like a charm. Although for some reason I have to run it as an Administrator.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited August 2011
    Great, glad you got it up and running :D
    edited August 2011
    Bumpity Bump :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DragonsheartbloodDragonsheartblood Posts: 12 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Thank you for finding the fix to this problem.

Re-posting link to the site that helped me.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=450303
    edited August 2011
    Thank you Dragonsheartblood
  • Amy6302Amy6302 Posts: 62
    edited August 2011
    1) BUMP!!

2) i did what the dude on MOD said to do in regards to the Default file, still no joy for me though so before i uninstall everything and my sister kills me (she uses sims 2 and it'll totally screw up her games) and just wanted to check and see if it would work for my problem.
    I was using CAW and everything was fine until i tried to EIG - it saved the changes but then when i closed down EIG this appeared
    prob3.jpg

then when i closed CAW and tried to re-open my game this popped up
    prob.jpg

Think uninstalling would work?
    edited August 2011
    bump
    edited August 2011
    Hey Amy,
    The crashing issue sounds like a memory problem. Are you using laa?

Large Address Aware will enable the caw program to use up to 4 gigs of ram, instead of just two. So, if you have more than 2gb's of ram on your PC, this can significantly help the crashing issues. The world file became corrupted because caw crashed, so if you can stop it from crashing, you're good to go.

Info on laa here;
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595
    edited August 2011
    thanks Auntielynds but i have no idea what any of that means!
    Guess i have to content myself with other peoples worlds
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited August 2011
    so before i uninstall everything and my sister kills me (she uses sims 2 and it'll totally screw up her games)

No, it won't, if you make sure all you uninstall is the Sims 3 games, not TS2 games. They have absolutely no files in common.
    thanks Auntielynds but i have no idea what any of that means!

RAM is your computer's memory. It's a temporary storage space used only when your computer is turned on, by every program that is running. Each program has an amount of RAM it needs to run. Windows XP doesn't support more than two gigs of RAM, and I'm not sure how much RAM Vista supports but Windows 7 supports huge amounts of RAM. The Create-a-World tool is programmed so that no matter how much RAM a computer has, it will never utilize more than two gigs, despite the fact it often needs more than that just to keep running. When the program runs out of RAM it crashes. Large Address Aware is a small utility that allows PC users to force C-A-W into using more than two gigs of RAM. It's very easy to set up.

Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    edited August 2011
    I meant Sims too, not sims 2 - sorry it was my lazy typing!

Thanks for explaining that, i'm not tech savy in any way and im always a little wary of altering anything 'cause im likely to break it!
    But i'll try it when i get onto my computer, fingers crossed it works because it kept me quite for ages!
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited August 2011
    Ah! LOL There's a really good example of why text speak is a bad idea on a help forum. :lol: None of us are born knowing this stuff. I've been using computers on and off for almost thirty years, and there are some here who've been using them longer than that. We didn't have our own computer until about fifteen years ago, and even then we were way behind the times. It took us a while to catch up because our finances have always been limited. One way we managed with using old computers way beyond their time was because we learned much about optimizing system usage, etc. At the very least you learn where files are kept so you can make sure to clean up unnecessary stuff. I used a computer with two 80-gig hard-drives until ten months ago. One I used for programs, the other I used for back-up and storage. Now I have a hard-drive a 500-gig hard-drive that's not even 20% full, but then again I do have a lot of software not yet installed on it, mainly stuff that I couldn't have on my old computer because I had run out of room.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • SimericPSimericP Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this stuff so I apologize in advance if i'm repeating a question.

I currently have installed The Sims 3 and The Sims 3: Late Night (as I'm too poor to afford anything else :( ). I'm extremely confused on which version of CAW to install or how I fix the problem I'm currently having. I found auntie's (I apologize if you dislike me using a shorten version of the name) post in another thread with links to different versions of CAW. I downloaded the one published on Oct.2010 as i assumed that would work with Late Night. The problem is I continue getting the "No data found... will not function properly" message. I tried the custom install where I choose user/USERNAME/Documets/ElectronicArts/TheSims3 etc... and that hasn't worked.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
  • simbiant4simbiant4 Posts: 43 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I have an interesting little (big) problem here.

Version I'm using is 1.11.10 as opposed to 1.11.12 because I can not get 1.11.12 to load. I have all expansions but NO stuff packs, latest update (1.24).

I'm fine with using 1.11.10 except I cant load a saved world. I can load and run CAW, I can even edit in game but I can not load a saved world after I use "edit in game". It says it saved fine but when going back to CAW it tells me unable to load, I tried to uninstall and reinstall (removing the saved world first)even tried to install 1.1.12 but that says incompatible. I just spent 4hours on my first world and now it sems it was all a waste of time.

PS: I'm not buying Town Life anytime soon.

PPS: installs were not in correct order if that makes a difference. S3, WA, Gen, Amb, LN. in that order, all downloaded via origin.
    edited August 2011
    I shall remember not to do it in the future (i hope!), that way people will know what im talking about (again i hope!).

I use to be more fearless when it came to poking around on the computer when i was younger - in fact most of the things i know how to do where discovered by accident! but because its a communal computer and the others dont back anything up (no matter how many times i say they should) im terrified i loose something vital and set my sister back a month at work!
  • LaFaye_3158LaFaye_3158 Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    to get Caw to work ...OPEN
    [Game Install Location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3base game \ Game\ Bin\ Default.ini
    And if you have a default installation this would be:
    C:\ Program Files\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3base game \ Game\ Bin\ Default.ini
    AND THEN DO THE SAME FOR ANY EP addon GAME FILE AND CAW default.ini file then change your game version.. in Caw to match sims 3 base game game version.
    and change your ..CompatVersion and your
    WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion in sims 3 base game and ep addon game to match CAW's CompatVersion and WorldBuilderCompatibility versions. then save all 3 default.ini files in the same locations you opened them from...CAW will work!
    :D
    edited August 2011
    That LAA thing works, at the moment anyway! Thanks for your help
  • betty_me13betty_me13 Posts: 3,285 New Member
    edited August 2011
    How did this fall to the 5th page! This thread should really be a sticky! It's so helpful to so many people!
    edited August 2011
    to get Caw to work ...OPEN
    [Game Install Location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3base game \ Game\ Bin\ Default.ini
    And if you have a default installation this would be:
    C:\ Program Files\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3base game \ Game\ Bin\ Default.ini
    AND THEN DO THE SAME FOR ANY EP addon GAME FILE AND CAW default.ini file then change your game version.. in Caw to match sims 3 base game game version.
    and change your ..CompatVersion and your
    WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion in sims 3 base game and ep addon game to match CAW's CompatVersion and WorldBuilderCompatibility versions. then save all 3 default.ini files in the same locations you opened them from...CAW will work!
    :D

Sorry you lost me... Could you explain step by step again please? ^^"
    Thank you!
  • ChocolotiChocoloti Posts: 328 New Member
    edited August 2011

I've tried to apply the fix that I found on the website quoted above to fix the Edit in game now working without Generations EP glitch, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I have a Windows XP computer with TS3 World Adventures and Ambitions installed. The closest I've gotten is to put the following in a .cmd file that when double-clicked opens up the TS3 launcher and regular game mode.
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe" "-nosound" "-worldFile:C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Tropical Island.world" "-editInGameMode:true" "-disableDumpCopy" "-speed:0" "-noObjMgrsFile:"pause

And noticing that I had .world files in another file too, I tried the following to the same result.
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe" "-nosound" "-worldFile:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Tropical Island.world" "-editInGameMode:true" "-disableDumpCopy" "-speed:0" "-noObjMgrsFile:"pause

Can anyone help me? With computer writing like this I know it can be a tiny difference that is causing the whole problem.
  • ChocolotiChocoloti Posts: 328 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Chocoloti wrote:

I've tried to apply the fix that I found on the website quoted above to fix the Edit in game now working without Generations EP glitch, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I have a Windows XP computer with TS3 World Adventures and Ambitions installed. The closest I've gotten is to put the following in a .cmd file that when double-clicked opens up the TS3 launcher and regular game mode.
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe" "-nosound" "-worldFile:C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Tropical Island.world" "-editInGameMode:true" "-disableDumpCopy" "-speed:0" "-noObjMgrsFile:"pause

And noticing that I had .world files in another file too, I tried the following to the same result.
    "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe" "-nosound" "-worldFile:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds\Tropical Island.world" "-editInGameMode:true" "-disableDumpCopy" "-speed:0" "-noObjMgrsFile:"pause

Can anyone help me? With computer writing like this I know it can be a tiny difference that is causing the whole problem.

Please, can anyone help me.
    edited August 2011
    Sorry, I've been out for a few day's. I'll try and answer questions.

Chocoloti,
    Read through this thread, and see if it helps. The op was on an XP as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=452504 If you're still having problems, post right on that thread, and Simsample will see it. Simsample is the best troubleshooter for Caw, and knows tons more than I do.

SimericP
    From what I understand, you only need to change one file.

Okay, I took some pics to help clarify.

Click on "My Computer", and navigate to:
    C:
    Programs(x86)
    Electronic Arts or *Origins Games*
    Sims 3 Generations, or the latest EP you have installed.

**Side Note: I have a Digital Download from the EA store. After I recently reinstalled all the games, my Digital Downloads show up in the Origins Games folder instead of Electronic Arts, so you may need to look there.

e16um0.jpg"width=325"2moqt82.jpg"width=325"

Now go to;
    Game
    Bin
    Default, just click on it.

11c8p78.jpg

Now just change those two highlighted numbers to this
    CompatVersion = 12
    WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 9
  • Cassandra1190Cassandra1190 Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2011
    Sorry, I've been out for a few day's. I'll try and answer questions.

Chocoloti,
    Read through this thread, and see if it helps. The op was on an XP as well.
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=452504 If you're still having problems, post right on that thread, and Simsample will see it. Simsample is the best troubleshooter for Caw, and knows tons more than I do.

SimericP
    From what I understand, you only need to change one file.

Okay, I took some pics to help clarify.

Click on "My Computer", and navigate to:
    C:
    Programs(x86)
    Electronic Arts or *Origins Games*
    Sims 3 Generations, or the latest EP you have installed.

**Side Note: I have a Digital Download from the EA store. After I recently reinstalled all the games, my Digital Downloads show up in the Origins Games folder instead of Electronic Arts, so you may need to look there.

e16um0.jpg"width=325"2moqt82.jpg"width=325"

Now go to;
    Game
    Bin
    Default, just click on it.

11c8p78.jpg

Now just change those two highlighted numbers to this
    CompatVersion = 12
    WorldBuilderCompatibilityVersion = 9

I tried to do this but when I tried to use CAW it said it was incompatible. I have generations, do not have town life. I'm basically having the same problem as a few people on here. CAW saves fine when EDI, but when it goes back to desktop CAW, it crashes, and when I try to open the world again it wont open. I cant remember exactly what it said.
  • jackyluvs2bitejackyluvs2bite Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    Im having the same issue as the above person. Tried it all, but wont work.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2011
    You're a life saver Auntie! Just did the above tip with your image instructions and create - a - world finally works! Thank you so much :mrgreen::D