Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If I add the new prep school in additional to the community school in Sunset Valley...

Can I choose what school my child will go to? Will my child default to the community school, requiring me to call and transfer him to the prep school? How will this work? I would try this out and see for myself but my kids aren't big enough to go to school yet.

Comments

• Options
    andinic28andinic28 Posts: 2,719 New Member
    edited July 2011
    joeyrpger wrote:
    Can I choose what school my child will go to? Will my child default to the community school, requiring me to call and transfer him to the prep school? How will this work? I would try this out and see for myself but my kids aren't big enough to go to school yet.

To my knowledge the prep school replaces the old school I wouldn't even try placing both in one town your game might crash and set on fire lol :wink:
  • Options
    LisaSunshineLisaSunshine Posts: 28 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I had the same question. I put the new school in with the old one and I didn't get a choice. They went to the old school. Sucks. I thought we were going to be able to choose between the two.
  • Options
    I_am_beanI_am_bean Posts: 1,568 Member
    edited July 2011
    I have two schools in my worlds to help with the routing issues ( piled up sims tapping their foot at the school entrance) I might be wrong, but you have to delete the school in edit town, place both schools then when you switch to live mode you can click on the desired school and select "transfer here". That's what I do and have never had problems. :-)
  • Options
    joeyrpgerjoeyrpger Posts: 112 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I_am_bean wrote:
    I have two schools in my worlds to help with the routing issues ( piled up sims tapping their foot at the school entrance) I might be wrong, but you have to delete the school in edit town, place both schools then when you switch to live mode you can click on the desired school and select "transfer here". That's what I do and have never had problems. :-)

Well, I'll try that and see. Will it matter if I make a copy of "Community School for The Gifted" and use that when placing both that school and the new prep school in? Asking since the community school isn't available in the lot selection in the Edit Town selection.
  • Options
    lilyboblilybob Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2011
    It shouldn't be a problem. It's like placing two bistros.
    BTW, Par Excellence Prep School looks like Degrassi:
    386gvt.jpg
  • Options
    joeyrpgerjoeyrpger Posts: 112 New Member
    edited July 2011
    lilybob wrote:
    386gvt.jpg

Hahaha! Yeah, it kinda does! Except for that inclined roof with the windows in the Par Excellence Prep School. Now you have me wishing I could change the name of schools in the Sims 3.
  • Options
    patstatspatstats Posts: 226 Member
    edited July 2011
    joeyrpger wrote:
    lilybob wrote:
    386gvt.jpg

Hahaha! Yeah, it kinda does! Except for that inclined roof with the windows in the Par Excellence Prep School. Now you have me wishing I could change the name of schools in the Sims 3.

Can't you change the name in Edit Town?
    Simmering since the beginning!
  • Options
    pixiedust4267pixiedust4267 Posts: 1,194 Member
    edited July 2011
    Crap now I have to get rid of the old school in Bridgeport.
    SQfkfxm6rt.gif
  • Options
    juliejulezzzzzjuliejulezzzzz Posts: 42
    edited July 2011
    I haven't tried it with the new one, but I had 3 schools in Riverview for my legacy game, I had 250 residents, so needless to say most kids weren't making it in the door at the original school because of pathing issues. It takes awhile, but kids will start going to the new school. If they currently go to one school, they won't switch to another though, even if it's closer to their house. But as new kids age up or move into town, they will start going to the new one.
  • Options
    simsmaster97simsmaster97 Posts: 74
    edited July 2011
    hello , (quick response is apreciated)
    Ive just bought the town life sp but it wont let me place the new school , ive changed a lot (proper size) to no visitors allowed , but it just wont appear when i hit place! all ather lots were fine
    HELP!
  • Options
    Abby8171Abby8171 Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I had the same problem, but I finally figured it out.
    1.It has to be your child.Not your sister or something.
    2.Click the school and I think you can enroll.

(I haven't tried to enroll yet but I will give you an update if it works or doesn't work.) :?:
    Thank for reading! :D
    -Abby
  • Options
    skwittskwitt Posts: 14
    edited December 2011
    Here is a solution,

1. Click on the parent/ adult sim
    2. Click 'Enroll child in school' or something like that.
    3. Then click Smuggsworth school.
    There you go.

- Happy simming - :lol:
  • Options
    skwittskwitt Posts: 14
    edited December 2011
    I mean before you click on the parent, press Ctrl - shift and C to bring up the blue box. Type in Testingcheatsenabled true. Then shift click the parent.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited December 2011
    joeyrpger wrote:
    lilybob wrote:
    386gvt.jpg

You can change the name of the school in edit town :wink:
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    sasha10206sasha10206 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited December 2011
    can someone give me a link in the exchange or a school or something? im playing in a world without any schools , so my kids dont go to school and I reallly want them to! thanks !
  • Options
    rsedorothyrsedorothy Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited December 2011
    Go into any neighborhood that came with your game and in 'edit town' click on the school and save a copy to your library. It will then be there to place in all neighborhoods.
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited December 2011
    Go into any neighborhood that came with your game and in 'edit town' click on the school and save a copy to your library. It will then be there to place in all neighborhoods.
    Or just get any school rabbithole building from the catalog and do your own landscaping.

To find them, you need to be editing a community lot. For a school, a 30 x 40 is the minimum you will need. The community buildings are in the build catalog next to the basement tool.

I usually end up adding a second school when I've been playing for a while. I just like big families... I wish there was a way to set a school to be 'highschool' or 'elementary school', though.
  • Options
    SilveryRowSilveryRow Posts: 21
    edited September 2013
    I've added a second school - not this 'prep school' the OP speaks of though, just another regular one - but whenever I try to delete to old on (in order to replace it, and have the game redistribute the students), my game crashes to desktop. Any ideas? It took me ages to find out I could place a second one from Edit, as no one had ever told me you have to go into the Build Lot and select it from the Community objects... I expected it to just be there with the rest of the buildings, like in Sims 2 :? So kudos to KarinL for being specific!

*whisper* If you're not averse to mods, Twallan's Story Progression: Extra let's you assign what type of school it is...

• Options
    Darkwave7341Darkwave7341 Posts: 48 Member
    If your Sim is already enrolled in a school, they will remain there. You must delete the school and replace it again after your Sims have moved to the other. For players who don't currently have child or ten Sims, they are enrolled in he nearest school to them.
    What's the deal with airline food?