Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to create a more unique personality

Imagine a new section in the create a sim-panel - one that would allow us to choose some of our sim-characters expressions :)

There could, for example, be several different:

- Smiles and laughters - Some sims could maybe just giggle or even try not to show that they´re laughing at first :)

- Sad/ angry/ scared/ anxious/ curious/ surprised expressions + animations. (A few sims might instead put on a "poker-face"-expression in some situations - those sims should be harder to predict...)

- Causal behaviours - animations similar to what high-level atletic-sims in TS2 used to do - suddenly stretching a knee or maybe a shoulder - at random :)(But not necessarily linked to a trait or a skill)

This could add some nice variety when socializing - especially for sims at the same age and/or with the same traits. Sims differs most in appearance right now and tend to repeat the same interactions over and over.

A larger range of more unique sims would come to life with a feature like this - sims with more convincing profundity and less... Well, um... you know... - It would be great fun to have a tool to create their personalities with more careful attention to details, right?

Tell me your thoughts and ideas, please :)

Z5yqGx5.png

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited July 2011
    - Sad/ angry/ scared/ anxious/ curious/ surprised expressions + animations. (A few sims might instead put on a "poker-face"-expression in some situations - those sims should be harder to predict...)

Actually I'd love to see and expression control system added to CAS along with a lighting control, so we can actually see what the sims we create will look like in game along with what they'll look like under different lighting conditions... Far too often I've created a sim that looks amazing in CAS but ends up looking weird in-game.
    raw
  • SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2011
    Actually I'd love to see and expression control system added to CAS along with a lighting control, so we can actually see what the sims we create will look like in game along with what they'll look like under different lighting conditions... Far too often I've created a sim that looks amazing in CAS but ends up looking weird in-game.
    :) I definitely know what you mean - We spend all that time in CAS to get everything just right, and still you´ll get a bit... surprised how he/ she appears in-game. (So that´s a big YES to lightning control in CAS.)

My sims though, mainly end up acting a bit far in-game from what I´d pictured at first when I gave them their traits... :roll:
    And sure I do get that this is part of the great fun with TS (the unexpected-factor), but I still wish for a wider range of expressions/ animated behaviour for different kinds of sim-personalities and game-situations.

I believe that with the right CAS-tools it would be interesting to craft a sim´s psyche more carefully. That could add some greater depth and an overall sense of higher game-value. It doesn´t have to be too complicated. I for sure think this is the perfect way to go in future TSgame-development, cause when we feel that connection to a sim, most in-game situations turn out much more interesting - sometimes even truely amazing... :wink:

That "make-believe"-factor is just a little too fragile right now in TS3 - For example, when your character suddenly starts acting out randomly because an object is in his/ her way, he´s/ she´s tired, has to go to the bathroom or whatever - You know... THAT´S when he/ she turns from that special character you´d hoped for - into just another impatient sim jumping up and down, waving their arms and shouting... x)
    (Especially when an adult sim starts acting-out as a child - right infront of his or her kids...) :lol:

How would you like to have more influence in CAS (besides traits) over the precious pixel-mind and behaviour of our sims - to create a sim-personality with greater depth and precision?
    :-)

Z5yqGx5.png
  • MissCeeMissCee Posts: 1,309 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'd like it. But your topic fooled me, I thought this thread contained some info on how to enable a Sim to have a more unique personality.

Currently, I set free will to max, but still boredom sets in regardless of scenario when a Sim, young or old, relative, spouse, acquaintance or BFF, male or female, is going to have the same reaction, in the same sequence, with the same Sim syntax, in a given situation.

Perhaps a Socialization, Reaction, Response labeled slider or toggle on the Options menu that allows us to choose depth of "uniqueness", similar to the way we can now adjust life cycles.

It would make a big difference in game play if for instance a Sim announced pregnancy and got a response different from a pat on the arm.

Imagine not knowing whether or not, if on hearing the news a roomate might burst into tears, or the husband faint or grab the spouse in a makeout kiss, or the grandparent high-fiving the air or grabbing the phone to spread the news, or a stone hearted sim suggesting to just be friends, etc.

How ironic it is to just realize that I want more realism in my imaginary world!

Blessings,
    MissCee

<3Blessings,
    MissCee
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2011
    Alternately, there is a mod that, coupled with another mod (master Controller) allows sims to have up to 20 traits. that makes a more dynamic sim.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • PsychoChick966PsychoChick966 Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited July 2011
    Alternately, there is a mod that, coupled with another mod (master Controller) allows sims to have up to 20 traits. that makes a more dynamic sim.

Do tell son! What's the first mod you speak of?
    edited July 2011
    MissCee wrote: Perhaps a Socialization, Reaction, Response labeled slider or toggle on the Options menu that allows us to choose depth of "uniqueness", similar to the way we can now adjust life cycles.
    :) I think it´s a wonderful idea - this is the kind of improvement that definitely could take interactions to a whole new level in future sim-games.

Speaking of the future - In order to sculpt new, unique personalities for our beloved sims I´m convinced that it´s crucial to get more (a lot more) control also in CAS.

We have today the tools to alter the looks of our characters - but almost none to make them truely come alive in game-play - meaning I´d love to be offered all kinds of tools for that purpose - to create a unique personality for each and every sim :wink:

DarkAmaranth1966 wrote:Alternately, there is a mod that, coupled with another mod (master Controller) allows sims to have up to 20 traits. that makes a more dynamic sim.

:) I do love traits - and wish we could pick and choose from like a million more of them... And this leads to another topic:

What if it was made possible to shift and bend all existing traits a bit...? Maybe if traits were graded in someway...? Like options from "A bit shy" to "Super-shy"? That would probably mean some serious programming for EA, but I´m not expecting this to happen tomorrow, so... :)

Meanwhile, you´re most welcome to share thoughts and ideas!
    Z5yqGx5.png
    edited July 2011
    :) So, for all of you that might be new to this tread:

What should be the main-focus in future TS-developing?

A. The sims themselves (Personality, interactions, expressions and traits)

B. Looks, stuff & buildings (For example new hair, clothing and furniture)

C. I have another idea! (Please, specify)

Z5yqGx5.png
    edited August 2011
    Anyone...? :)
    Z5yqGx5.png