Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Talk Human Languages Please.

dbaadbaa Posts: 313 New Member
Seriously, when do the Sims get to speak English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, ...? 8)

Comments

• CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure they speak simlish because of how often they repeat phrases.
  • FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    edited June 2011
    dbaa wrote:
    Seriously, when do the Sims get to speak English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Italian, Russian, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, ...? 8)

The reason they don't talk English or anything else is because if it were a real language with real meaning, they would be saying the same phrases over and over again, making everything sound extremely repetitive.

If they do a completely nonsensical language and put speech bubbles, they can be talking about anything, and it will have infinite meaning.
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • overcookedburgerovercookedburger Posts: 2,152 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Nope. I really would HATE that, they are not going to do that anyway.
  • dbaadbaa Posts: 313 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure human creativity can program a good algorithm to do this. :thumbup:
  • FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    edited June 2011
    dbaa wrote:
    I would love to have something like that.

But first, I would want to have something that can understand and interpret written word into processes in the game.

IE: You could explain, by typing, what things were (like, for example, explain how weather works to the game) and it was able to translate it into coding and features of the game.
    Then I would be impressed. (if it could do that, then you would be able to explain to it how to speak human languages, if you wanted)

This is my vision for a perfect Sims game.
    Instead of distributing sims, you could distribute 'lessons' (of course, if you were to explain to it to make a Sim to your specifications, then you could package that to an exchange)

And I'm rambling again.
    :D

Also, computer generated voices are creepy.
    Even the good ones. (I've played Façade)
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited June 2011
    I think the game would be really expensive if they did that. Think about how many difrent laungiuse there is! Half of the written translation is of any way, my male sims is allways becomming a mom! I guees it says parent in english, but stil no way my males are the mom! picture that (and worse mistakes) being said! I would hate it.

Na I like them speaking simlish... it's fun
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    edited June 2011
    No,I don't think they should change what they have done since sim city.
  • dbaadbaa Posts: 313 New Member
    edited June 2011
    FosoSam wrote:
    dbaa wrote:
    I would love to have something like that.

But first, I would want to have something that can understand and interpret written word into processes in the game.

IE: You could explain, by typing, what things were (like, for example, explain how weather works to the game) and it was able to translate it into coding and features of the game.
    Then I would be impressed. (if it could do that, then you would be able to explain to it how to speak human languages, if you wanted)

This is my vision for a perfect Sims game.
    Instead of distributing sims, you could distribute 'lessons' (of course, if you were to explain to it to make a Sim to your specifications, then you could package that to an exchange)

And I'm rambling again.
    :D

Also, computer generated voices are creepy.
    Even the good ones. (I've played Façade)

FosoSam has got a good idea already. Brainstorming is underway here. Excellent! :thumbup:
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2011
    At least if the sims speak in simlish, it is then up to the player to use their imagination to understand what the sims might be saying. The good thing about this is that it allows a variety of possibilities. If the sims repeated the very same sentences in our own language, it would soon become extremely boring!

Having said this, I play the game so often that I can remember quite a few of the simlish phrases so even some of those have become a little repetitive ...... especially the 'talk about gardening' one! lol. My sims are always gardeners :)
  • munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    edited June 2011
    Avasch a mosh, a bini naba naba a sumbi eee--- avasch a mosh.
  • Court3007Court3007 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2011
    i love simlish, the sims wouldn't be the same without it :)
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited June 2011
    Court3007 wrote:
    This... :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • randompersonagerandompersonage Posts: 363 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Court3007 wrote:

I agree
  • CatLandCatLand Posts: 760 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm a fan of the Simlish, it's funny to listen to (My non-Sims playing friend started crying she was laughing so much at it when she heard it :mrgreen: ).

However I think it would be cool if you could learn Simlish-French/Arabic/Chinese in World Adventures. It could help you make relationships with locals faster and get Visas quicker, something like that...
  • schmezzleschmezzle Posts: 1,616 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Court3007 wrote:

Definitely this. :)
  • DeathNoteSimDeathNoteSim Posts: 4,544 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Nope. I really would HATE that, they are not going to do that anyway.
    Agree, the game will loose it simming charm anyway if sims start talking real languages.
  • DeathNoteSimDeathNoteSim Posts: 4,544 New Member
    edited June 2011
    schmezzle wrote:
    Court3007 wrote:

Definitely this. :)
    :thumbup:
  • LuckySkyLuckySky Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited June 2011
    I love simlish! I couldn't imagine a Sims game without it!
  • krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited June 2011
    Sims speak Simlish, this is like asking for fish to grown skis and do crosscountry through the desert!

Sims cant speak those other languages cuz they arnt in our world, they are in sim world. they dont know what English or Spanish or any of that is. I have always thought of sims existing on another planet or plane or dimensional rift or something! i hate when they sneak in branding for instance that isn't translated to simlish.

yes as soemone said its been this way since simcity, since ive been with sims since the First simcity if they chnaged this core element of the series i would feel betrayed and devastated!

im still in shock you would even ask for this, that you could contemplate it..sims speak simlish!! a talking sim dog would speak simlish! lol

could you speak martian?

lol sorry im in shock...sims speaking english!!! DEVASTATING!!! when they released pets trailer with an english song i had a conniption!!
  • ThisSIMisCrazedThisSIMisCrazed Posts: 3,719 Member
    edited June 2011
    That would be creepy. :shock:
  • krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited June 2011
    That would be creepy. :shock:

i generally hate the flashy sig things people have but yours just made me laugh my patoot off thanks!
  • clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited June 2011
    They didn't do that because of the time it would take to make each language.

Plus the phrases would be repetitive.
  • SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited June 2011
    It being a universal game they need a language we universally can't understand so to keep it from getting boring or leaving a language out. Besides that sims aren't human, they're sims so they speak simlish :D but I'm half certain you can find a mod or something that has a human language in it o.o
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited June 2011
    dbaa wrote:
    I don't think that the Sims series will continue that long. But if it does then my guess will be about 30 years from now.

We need much stronger computers if the Sims shall be able to have interesting discussions which aren't so repetitive that we would turn the sound off to avoid hearing them after less than an hour.
  • ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I think it might raise the rating if for example- some of the romantic convos were actual words.

I would like the opportunity to add my own 'voicesets' to the game though. This way, we could get a coded list of items say:

Disaproving coment
    Romantic talk:

And they could be recorded in either simlish or english or whatever suits the players fancy. I've seen voicesets done by fans, and some can be quite good.

I'd also like the ability for a sim to call another sim's name. IT seems kind of strange that they can't.