Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• onionXrings1onionXrings1 Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited June 2009
    SenPain wrote:
    I'm really surprised I haven't cheated yet...

Me too! :mrgreen:
  • SenPainSenPain Posts: 266 New Member
    edited June 2009
    SenPain wrote:
    I'm really surprised I haven't cheated yet...

Me too! :mrgreen:

I think its cos I'm drinkin Mnt. Dew...

I also have a question-
    By chance, if in some way, I manage to snag the Grim Reaper, does that still count as continuing the bloodline?
  • AlabamaStarfiresAlabamaStarfires Posts: 72 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I will give this a try. It will be my first Legacy ever. I don't think I will post it. :oops: I'm not a good storyteller and my husband tells me so. This will give me a new way to play. I usually have the aging turned off and the lifespan set to epic. Wish me luck. I get bored easily.
  • Masked_BanditMasked_Bandit Posts: 104 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My heir is now a young adult and looking to find a mate. I'm still trying to get the step daughter married and moved out, but I might just have to move her out because I have 8 in the house already with 2 sets of twins, the heir, parents, and step daughter my founder's spouse brought with him. I could have left her as there was an extended family there to take care of her, but I figured he'd be happier with his kid there and she was only a toddler at that point although she aged up the next day. They are both slobs which is just a total pain. So far I haven't gotten totally nasty traits, my one daughter got neurotic due to rough upbringing, but she likes to keep things clean so that's not too bad most of the time. I had 3 toddlers and 2 infants, but even with lousy babysitters I only had the one time when I didn't get to pick (spin) for traits. My founder must have been woohooing behind my back. I'm still pretty poor, but I have a cobblestone house ... I keep considering tearing down the patchwork and rebuilding, but not sure how much I get back on building supplies. I'm starting to make a little money now though as I have 4 young adults working as well as the founder and spouse who haven't retired, but are getting close to death.
  • klo85klo85 Posts: 97 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Question!!!!
    Last night one of my sims drowned, but when the grim reaper came to get her, she handed him a plant she had picked. It was a death plant of some sort. She did it automatically....
    Is that plant against the rules??
    If so, would you say that I broke the rules if she did it automatically??
  • jujee55jujee55 Posts: 588 Member
    edited June 2009
    Every Sim I found said they were rich. On thing to note when your Sim marries a rich sim in this game they bring nothing to the family inventory, there is nothing in the backpack, and they only get about 1000 simolions as wedding gifts.

My founder finally met someone that didn't say he was rich a Randell something, he's a paper delivery person. Her clock was running out so I got her pregnant. Right before the baby was born she found out his last trait SLOB, then got the option to move him in, I decided not to move him in.

Hope, my founder, turned elder; the next day her daughter Randi turned teen.
  • mambogambomambogambo Posts: 205 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Y'know klo85... I see life fruit and Ambrosia mentioned in the rules as no-no's but not The Death Flower.

You have found a loophole it would seem.

But yeah... I wonder.
  • AudreyRAudreyR Posts: 514 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Oh. This looks like fun. Of course, I'll have to scrap my current legacy to do this one, but it's all good. Maybe I'll be able to start this one right in the story-telling part. ;)
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited June 2009
    Ilaeria wrote:
    Bobbo, I don't understand why you're so upset about this. As others have already pointed out, it's not like this Challenge is a real official competition. Quite a few people have already said they don't like one particular rule so they've changed it, and others have agreed, so they have a subgroup of people playing the challenge with modified rules. And someone else has already expressed concern over this rule. So I don't think it would be difficult for you to have others to compete with on a modified version. I've never done a legacy challenge before, but personally I'm not doing it to "compete" or viewing it as a competition - it's a challenge to myself to see how well I can do and to enjoy playing the same family for 10 generations!

Without rules there is no challenge. Without the challenge you are just playing the game any old way you want. I played the same family in TS2 for better than 5 years. I had so many generations and offspring I had to add a suburb to veronaville to fit all the houses.

I didn't start my founder on an empty lot with practically no money because I wanted to, I did it because it was part of the challenge. So what you are saying is I could have started with a house if I just decided I didn't like that rule. I could cheat if I didn't like that rule. I could award myself points for every mundane activity if I didn't like the way the points were assigned.

The point is I wasn't challenging me pinstar was challenging me to play with a set of rules and I agreed. I had never started a legacy that way and was intrigued and now all my efforts for 4 generations have been a waste of time.
  • KraylessaKraylessa Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2009
    I made a monstrous post to my blog yesterday (see sig) about all the progress I made in my Legacy on Saturday. I played for a good 10 hours straight!

I hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am!
  • KraylessaKraylessa Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2009
    And I for one approve of that part of it, I mean I wouldn't have chosen the first 2 traits of the latest heir to be Brave, and Couch Potato, but it makes it interesting none the less.

I agree with this. At first I hated the random traits and the lack of control it gave me. But without those random traits, my Sims wouldn't have the colorful personalities I've come to know and love. My founder's first son rolled neurotic loner right off the bat and I was like "oh great, this'll stink." But neurotic has turned out to be one of my favorite traits. He's so OCD and some of the moodlets he gets are hysterical. Now he's my favorite of the second generation and I've decided to keep him in my household, even though he couldn't be my heir (playing with the matriarchy optional rule). Afterall, it's not like I could find another sim who would love my ambitious (family trait), neurotic, hot-headed, loner, loser as much as I love him!
  • AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Bobbo wrote:
    The point is I wasn't challenging me pinstar was challenging me to play with a set of rules and I agreed...

In which case, surely, continuing with the rules that were in place when you accepted the challenge means that you are continuing with the challenge you accepted?
    edited June 2009
    I've got 2 new chapters up over at my legacy blog (click on signature to get there.)
    The legacy gets exciting so stay tuned for more chapters.
  • mambogambomambogambo Posts: 205 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Bobbo wrote:
    Without rules there is no challenge. Without the challenge you are just playing the game any old way you want. I played the same family in TS2 for better than 5 years. I had so many generations and offspring I had to add a suburb to veronaville to fit all the houses.

The point is I wasn't challenging me pinstar was challenging me to play with a set of rules and I agreed. I had never started a legacy that way and was intrigued and now all my efforts for 4 generations have been a waste of time.

I agree with you. Which lends the question; "Why did pinstar change the rules a week after posting them and a week after people started the challenge?"

At first, when I started. the was a RULE restricting the sale or claiming of black market items as Legacy assets. However that was lifted a week later and now, yes, there are all of these variants going around and I'm wondering what benchmark there is any more fore this challenge.

I am still playing by the original rules, as are many others I know, but it's people who complained over and over that caused pinstar to change them. (I am assuming as he hasn't explained it yet I don't think)

So, again, while I agree with you, the challenger has already folded on this matter so the argument is null and void unfortunately.

Can I make it clear that I am in no way bagging Mr pinstar. This challenge is genius and he has worked very hard to develop these sets of rules for us to follow. I am very grateful for the time has spent on this for us to enjoy our games at a new and exciting level.

I mean. I don't like not being able to pass go and collect $200 in monopoly but JEEZE should I call and have a cry to Hasbro so they can change the rules and let me?... only to screw over the other several million people who have been playing by the REAL rules all along?

I'm grumpy. Going to bed.

Sorry for the rant folks. Quitting smoking at the moment. Ugh!
  • katwarrenkatwarren Posts: 481 New Member
    edited June 2009
    ok i wanna try this but i dont really understand. who does the scoring? how does this work? lol i'm so confused lol
  • AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Okay I have a question about portraits, if I paint a 'family portrait' how many points would it count for? for example if I have twins (I don't yet but I'm sure it'll happen somewhere in ten generations) and I decide it would be nice to have a portrait of them together would that count for zero points (not a proper portrait) one point (for one portrait) or two points (two family members having a portrait)? If it counts for one point can I paint another of them together to count for a second point?

• heidismilesheidismiles Posts: 502 New Member
    edited June 2009
    katwarren wrote:
    ok i wanna try this but i dont really understand. who does the scoring? how does this work? lol i'm so confused lol

You score it yourself. There's no prize or anything - it's just a way to make the game more fun.
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited June 2009
    mambogambo wrote:
    Bobbo wrote:

I agree with you. Which lends the question; "Why did pinstar change the rules a week after posting them and a week after people started the challenge?"

At first, when I started. the was a RULE restricting the sale or claiming of black market items as Legacy assets. However that was lifted a week later and now, yes, there are all of these variants going around and I'm wondering what benchmark there is any more fore this challenge.

I am still playing by the original rules, as are many others I know, but it's people who complained over and over that caused pinstar to change them. (I am assuming as he hasn't explained it yet I don't think)

So, again, while I agree with you, the challenger has already folded on this matter so the argument is null and void unfortunately.

Can I make it clear that I am in no way bagging Mr pinstar. This challenge is genius and he has worked very hard to develop these sets of rules for us to follow. I am very grateful for the time has spent on this for us to enjoy our games at a new and exciting level.

I mean. I don't like not being able to pass go and collect $200 in monopoly but JEEZE should I call and have a cry to Hasbro so they can change the rules and let me?... only to screw over the other several million people who have been playing by the REAL rules all along?

I'm grumpy. Going to bed.

Sorry for the rant folks. Quitting smoking at the moment. Ugh!

Right. I am not trying to pick a fight I am just a little annoyed that the challenge has been modified and all my initial efforts and strategy is all wasted.

I think the new rules have homogenized this challenge so much that it makes it too much like just playing the game unchallenged. It was difficult for such a short amount of time. Even with a part time job my founder had a 2 room house by day 12 and before he finally died they had a 3 br, 3 ba house with most of the amenities.

At this point the only uncapped points are portrait and aspiration rewards. Since you can only have 8 people in a house the portrait points are actually capped too. Most people will have a hard time getting to 200k aspiration rewards without cheating or extending the life of the sim which is against the rules so those points are sort of capped too. Also keeping up with aspiration points is very difficult and if you don't check an elder every day you may not know what they had when they die. In the end there will be a good number of people participating in the challenge with the exact same number of points.
  • vbaileyvvbaileyv Posts: 470 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Question....

Legacy Challenge

Bringing in the next generation.

If the heir is female, she may move her mate in, or simply get pregnant while off the lot.

Does this mean she can not conceive on the legacy lot if her mate is not living with her? Otherwise all conceptions must take place at the mates lot?
    edited June 2009
    I've update for a second time today with 2 more chapters. Click on my signature to get there. Enjoy!
  • VenusVenus Posts: 269 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Having them all grow up well is still cake, you don't have to help them with their homework for that. The point of the random traits is to make the experience a bit more unorthodox, obviously. And I for one approve of that part of it, I mean I wouldn't have chosen the first 2 traits of the latest heir to be Brave, and Couch Potato, but it makes it interesting none the less.

If they are missing the genius trait, it still makes it harder. I tend to help my kids with homework as much as I can, if they don't have the genius trait. So, I obviously have a hard time making them grow up well. Especially because I hate babies, children, and toddlers in general and playing with them. & I think randomizing the traits are fine, but I still think about two traits would be pretty nice to use in the legacy as having "2 family traits" which kinda originally started my discussion? Whether the traits are insane and cough potato which would be a challenge or perhaps Hopeless Romantic & Genius as an easy breeze. My point was originally to use 2 family traits passing through to make it MORE of a challenge, while still randomizing the traits. Which, to me makes perfect sense when people keep missing that aspect. So, I think on my next legacy I start I'll try picking two traits that wouldn't help the family either way. & from I see, most of the people replying are either having questions about the rules they misses, or simply whining, crying, and complaining about the rules repeatedly, which I have no problem with. I simply wanted to make a more challenging family.
  • siminganonsiminganon Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    In the end there will be a good number of people participating in the challenge with the exact same number of points.

So? A lot of people don't even keep score.. I think you're missing the point of the whole thing.

You're taking this entirely too seriously. If you don't like the challenge anymore.. either play with the original rules or don't play it. It's not a competition.. you don't win anything if you have more points than ForumUser999, so if you're not having fun then move on and do something else. Play the way that you want to.

If I recall correctly, the Sims 2 legacy challenge was constantly evolving and changing as new stuff was added or new stuff was discovered.
  • LindsayJayLindsayJay Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    so i get most of the rules, but about the rich sims, can the founders not marry them?
    and thanks so much for posting this :)
  • Craz4lifeCraz4life Posts: 54 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am new to Simdom, literally this is my first time playing the Sims ever. But I think taking on this challenge will help me learn the game. I'll try it :)
  • ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited June 2009
    siminganon wrote:
    In the end there will be a good number of people participating in the challenge with the exact same number of points.

So? A lot of people don't even keep score.. I think you're missing the point of the whole thing.

You're taking this entirely too seriously. If you don't like the challenge anymore.. either play with the original rules or don't play it. It's not a competition.. you don't win anything if you have more points than ForumUser999, so if you're not having fun then move on and do something else. Play the way that you want to.

If I recall correctly, the Sims 2 legacy challenge was constantly evolving and changing as new stuff was added or new stuff was discovered.

I have to agree with this. The Legacy Challenge doesn't work for me because I really do not enjoy building. There are other things, but that one thing is the kicker for me. So I play the way I want to and have even come up with a broad set of rules for myself, creating what I believe to be a different multi-generational challenge. I won't call it a Legacy family if I do any stories or blogs, as I've named my challenge something else and I believe that what I'm doing goes against the spirit of the Legacy Challenge.

In the end, I'm doing what is fun for me. The Legacy Challenge is fun for many, many people and that is why it is so popular. But if it's not fun for you, maybe it's not your cup of tea. I found out it wasn't mine. And I'm good with that. :)

Gallery: ibaeshaC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top