Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Options
    uo_amckayuo_amckay Posts: 54 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Keiya wrote:
    For those of you feeling restricted by the "no rich sims" restriction, I am working on a re-write that might obliterate that restriction entirely. Some testing needs to be done.

Marrying a rich sim is only gives a great advantage to your founder sim. What about either only restricting your first generation or allowing rich marriages once your family is labeled as being rich...I guess a sort of social caste restriction. At that point, a couple of thousand more shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Great advantage? Where? Most of the "rich" sims don't give you any advantage at all. Maybe Agnes Crumplebottom or one of the Goths would, I don't know, but most of them bring less than 10k. I just had my founder marry Tamara whosit (I'm using my alternate rich rules I laid out about two pages back). I didn't have to sweat deducting a point - she brought a whopping $1,750 and three books to the household. Huge advantage, I'm telling ya. Honestly, you make more selling stolen goods than you would marrying the vast majority of "rich" sims.
  • Options
    StormfeatherStormfeather Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I'd like to see, rather than a blanket "you can't marry rich Sims" rule, more of a "you can't marry into these families, at least for x generations" rule. Like the Goths, and so on. Although the point deduction rule is good too, and that'd also be nice to incorporate.
  • Options
    RusalkaRusalka Posts: 510 New Member
    edited June 2009
    JazzeyBear wrote:
    Okay. So I had a question. I started my legacy a few days ago and my sim has met a nice cute single guy. She found out that he is a firefighter. But when he moved in after they got married. The game is saying that he is unemployed. What is his job, and how do I get him to be a firefighter like he was?

Once you move in a "Service Sim" - like a firefighter, house cleaner, burglar, etc. - they become unemployed and can't work those careers anymore. (Well, you can make your former burglar join the criminal track.) It's a shame really. I'd like to play a Sim firefighter.

But, the firefighter probably has one or two hidden traits (pyromaniac and immune to fire). If your sim has kids with him, they might have one or more hidden traits too - but you won't find out until they are teenagers. I just found out two of my second generation are pyromaniacs by clicking on them and suddenly seeing the option to "set something nearby on fire". But I'm not willing to set THEM on fire to see if they are "immune to fire" too lol.
  • Options
    TotaTota Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited June 2009
    uo_amckay wrote:
    Keiya wrote:
    For those of you feeling restricted by the "no rich sims" restriction, I am working on a re-write that might obliterate that restriction entirely. Some testing needs to be done.

Marrying a rich sim is only gives a great advantage to your founder sim. What about either only restricting your first generation or allowing rich marriages once your family is labeled as being rich...I guess a sort of social caste restriction. At that point, a couple of thousand more shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Great advantage? Where? Most of the "rich" sims don't give you any advantage at all. Maybe Agnes Crumplebottom or one of the Goths would, I don't know, but most of them bring less than 10k. I just had my founder marry Tamara whosit (I'm using my alternate rich rules I laid out about two pages back). I didn't have to sweat deducting a point - she brought a whopping $1,750 and three books to the household. Huge advantage, I'm telling ya. Honestly, you make more selling stolen goods than you would marrying the vast majority of "rich" sims.

True, I've tried marrying rich sims in earlier games I played, and they didn't bring any good fortune to the household (mostly because they shared a household with tons of other people who I didn't want to move in). In my legacy I married my founder with Leighton Sekemoto (quite a handsome sim in my opinion :mrgreen: and good traits and all), he comes with grandma and a son and they brought quite a bit of money actually.
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    KeiyaKeiya Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    uo_amckay wrote:
    I've married a couple of rich sims who brought between 10k and 16k simoleans (also had a couple of non rich sims with cars and other odd items) into the household...that's a pretty big advantage if you are just starting out. It's hit or miss. Though from this thread, mostly miss.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Tota wrote:

True, I've tried marrying rich sims in earlier games I played, and they didn't bring any good fortune to the household (mostly because they shared a household with tons of other people who I didn't want to move in). In my legacy I married my founder with Leighton Sekemoto (quite a handsome sim in my opinion :mrgreen: and good traits and all), he comes with grandma and a son and they brought quite a bit of money actually.

Heh, Leighton's also my legacy hubby, and when you just move in him and his son, you only get like 2k or so.
  • Options
    MorigaleMorigale Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Sorry to pop in in the middle of a conversation to ask about something else, but I have a question on the 'family trait' extra thing. What do you do if you've picked a trait that conflicts with others and the sim randomly gets the opposite trait before you get a chance to set them the one you've chosen?

Is it just insta-fail, or do you have to keep them around until you can get the 'midlife crisis' thing, or maybe you just disown them and kick them out... or I'm overthinking this and it doesn't matter.

(Glad to hear the rules may be changed for rich sims, too. I have no clue if my sim's chosen mate is rich or not, but I'd rather not have to dump him because there's only, like, four decent men in the neighborhood at the moment. D: )
  • Options
    LottiiiLottiii Posts: 76 New Member
    edited June 2009
    OhhSoSylent....thank you thank you thank you!!!

Alldone now :)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Morigale wrote:
    Sorry to pop in in the middle of a conversation to ask about something else, but I have a question on the 'family trait' extra thing. What do you do if you've picked a trait that conflicts with others and the sim randomly gets the opposite trait before you get a chance to set them the one you've chosen?

Is it just insta-fail, or do you have to keep them around until you can get the 'midlife crisis' thing, or maybe you just disown them and kick them out... or I'm overthinking this and it doesn't matter.

(Glad to hear the rules may be changed for rich sims, too. I have no clue if my sim's chosen mate is rich or not, but I'd rather not have to dump him because there's only, like, four decent men in the neighborhood at the moment. D: )

Oooo, good question! I didn't even think about that, I'd think maybe you'd be allowed to re-roll randomly if you catch it before you finalize it? Just a thought. But after that... I dunno, Pinstar would have to answer, I guess.

I brought up a similar problem, if your Sim doesn't have the chance to pick the trait due to having bad life stages and having the traits all picked for you. So... I dunno.
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2009
    mambogambo wrote:
    werepoet wrote:
    mambogambo wrote:
    werepoet wrote:
    mambogambo wrote:
    2.5 Questions also...

The rules appear to have been modified to the contrary.

I just checked and you're right. How odd that that changed. Now I'm kinda bummed b/c I like the way I play better. It is more challenging.

I'm with you and It's kinda screwed it up changing it a week after everyone started. I'll choose to play by the original rules but it now means that all of us here are supposedly doing the SAME Legacy Challenge... But Differently... What was the point again??? Why are we scoring if there's not going to be a solid benchmark to base the scores on???

S'like the referee changing the rules of footy in the middle of the third quarter just to satisfy the girly half-backs who don't wanna play coz the other guy keeps bumping into them too hard so they get a free kick. Pffft...

What happened pinstar????

[edit] formatting was dodgy and my text appeared in the quote field so check it to see that I hadn't botched it... and I hadn't. Hmmmm... Better

During the creation of the challenge, I had only myself and my wife to playtest the rules. While the two of us covered a lot of ground, there was only so much the two of us could test. As a result, some aspects were not as deeply tested as others. Based on feedback from this board as well as others, updates and changes to the rules are inevitable. As with the TS2 Legacy Challenge, you do not have to start your family over just because of a rules change.

My reasoning behind this change is that I am trying to keep the Legacy Challenge as streamlined as possible and the black market restriction was a sore thumb of complexity that was standing out there. Combined with the fact that there are plenty of other ways to make just as much money as kleptos do that aren't restricted I decided to nix the restriction. There are a few more changes coming down the line to better streamline the challenge.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
    Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2009
    Morigale wrote:

Oooo, good question! I didn't even think about that, I'd think maybe you'd be allowed to re-roll randomly if you catch it before you finalize it? Just a thought. But after that... I dunno, Pinstar would have to answer, I guess.

I brought up a similar problem, if your Sim doesn't have the chance to pick the trait due to having bad life stages and having the traits all picked for you. So... I dunno.

In that case, deselect the conflicting trait, choose your family trait.
    Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
    Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site
  • Options
    TotaTota Posts: 1,385 Member
    edited June 2009
    Heh, Leighton's also my legacy hubby, and when you just move in him and his son, you only get like 2k or so.

Cool :mrgreen:
    moving in grandma turned out great since Leighton wants to have 5 children and someone needs to look after the kids when my Yoko is out "collecting" stuff at night :wink: And I like having a neat freak in the household that actually gains fun by cleaning :mrgreen:

cheers
    Of Kings and Castles
  • Options
    Masked_BanditMasked_Bandit Posts: 104 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Oh my ... I'm soooooooo confused ... I don't have time to read the thread all the way through ... so here is a question of my own that I'll probably not be able to find the answers too due to my own strangeness ...

are the modifications to the rules being kept in the first post?
  • Options
    MasterOinkMasterOink Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    He has been updating the first post with modifications. Which reminds me, good job Pinstar on updating it and keeping up with the flood of questions.

With regards to money - rich sims, klepto's, etc, etc, money is not an issue if you set out to make it. Sure, the first 7-14 days can be a bit rough, but after that you can be living a life of luxury if you work towards it.

My second generation is maybe 7 days into adult, and they're worth nearly 200k. I probably could be worth even more, but I didn't kill myself at it.

For myself, I'm figuring on pretty much blowing off the rich sim restriction - 10k is a drop in the bucket at this point. I'm more interested in getting good genetics and semi livable traits - finding my simmies a compatible husband/wife is more important to me than a little pocket change. ;)
  • Options
    DarciHydeDarciHyde Posts: 791 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This may be a dumb question, but how do we make this official? Like sign up or who keeps score of the points etc? Or is this we just keep track of everything and tell people what we got...do we have to submit screenshots or keep a log up of everything?
  • Options
    hypervodkahypervodka Posts: 90 New Member
    edited June 2009
    DarciHyde wrote:
    This may be a dumb question, but how do we make this official? Like sign up or who keeps score of the points etc? Or is this we just keep track of everything and tell people what we got...do we have to submit screenshots or keep a log up of everything?

It's not "official"; everyone keeps track of their own points, and then broadcast their score if they actually want to. A log isn't really required, because there isn't a prize for getting more points that someone else, so lying about your amount of points is ridiculous and pointless, so if someone were to lie on their points, it wouldn't matter much anyway (except to undermine the integrity of the challenge).
  • Options
    dreadpiraterosedreadpiraterose Posts: 49 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Something I was wondering about... will there be enough original NPCs (since we can't move new people in) to prevent inbreeding in these 10 generations?
  • Options
    Mandy347Mandy347 Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2009
    Rusalka wrote:
    But I'm not willing to set THEM on fire to see if they are "immune to fire" too lol.

Go for it, and post the pics!
  • Options
    Mandy347Mandy347 Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2009
    Mandy347 wrote:
    Rusalka wrote:
    But I'm not willing to set THEM on fire to see if they are "immune to fire" too lol.

Go for it, and post the pics!

Also, I've been deliberately keeping my founder fairly poor by having her donate a lot of money to undermine various charities. Non-evil Sims in my family will be hanging out at the spa freqently so I can continue to avoid having too much money early on. The points I'll rack up at the end for my net worth will come from my house, which I will be very slowly.

Wow, double post by accident. Sorry!
  • Options
    uo_amckayuo_amckay Posts: 54 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Yeah. The game's idea of "rich" is ***********. I'm using my point system on all sims brought into the household, regardless of how the game classifies them. Makes it easier on me :-)
  • Options
    LushiePushieLushiePushie Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2009
    Started my Legacy last night - a couple of tips:

If you make the founder a mooch you won't have to buy a stove because they can mooch food off of almost anyone.

Once you earn enough aspiration points buy the "discount diner" reward and you can eat free at any restaurant in town.

Happy Simming, everyone!
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited June 2009
    Morigale wrote:

What about the bad life stages and all traits picked for you?

You didn't address that. . .
  • Options
    jeremysipesjeremysipes Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2009
    Morigale wrote:

What about the bad life stages and all traits picked for you?

You didn't address that. . .
    Obviously if they are all picked for you then you just have to wait until a later point to pick the family trait.
  • Options
    rockbelly929rockbelly929 Posts: 591 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I've finally finsihed writing day 1 of my legacy. so if u want to read my prologue and day 1, go to this address.

www.thestuartlegacy.blogspot.com

hope you enjoy the start of my story.(though day 1 is kinda boring)
  • Options
    JazzeyBearJazzeyBear Posts: 100 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Rusalka wrote:
    JazzeyBear wrote:
    Okay. So I had a question. I started my legacy a few days ago and my sim has met a nice cute single guy. She found out that he is a firefighter. But when he moved in after they got married. The game is saying that he is unemployed. What is his job, and how do I get him to be a firefighter like he was?

Once you move in a "Service Sim" - like a firefighter, house cleaner, burglar, etc. - they become unemployed and can't work those careers anymore. (Well, you can make your former burglar join the criminal track.) It's a shame really. I'd like to play a Sim firefighter.

But, the firefighter probably has one or two hidden traits (pyromaniac and immune to fire). If your sim has kids with him, they might have one or more hidden traits too - but you won't find out until they are teenagers. I just found out two of my second generation are pyromaniacs by clicking on them and suddenly seeing the option to "set something nearby on fire". But I'm not willing to set THEM on fire to see if they are "immune to fire" too lol.

So even though the guy isn't a firefighter anymore, he still has the hidden traits? I ended up getting him a job in the police enforcement office, because that is what he wanted, and my internet was being a pain last night so it wasn't working. It's okay though. Now I can go put up my legacy's first week. Thanks!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top