Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My world lags a lot

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited June 2011
    make sure that:
    - you don't use too many types of trees in one area
    - your objects are placed in different layers
    - you have correctly painted the sims and camera routing onto the map
    - you "rebuild routing data" in CAW before you export the world

• Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2011
    I noticed that you have a fair number of highrise buildings in your world. Those are prime suspects for problems. It may have something to do with the elevators. Look at those buildings at about 3:00 a.m. game time. Are there sims hanging around in them?

Most sims should be at home, sleeping, at 3:00 a.m., so it is a good time to look for stuck sims. If a sim is anyplace but home in the early morning, it suggests a problem.

You might want to set the zoning on your highrises to "no sims allowed" and see if that helps the problem.
  • Options
    mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2011
    Thank you. I think the number of high buildings is not the problem because in Bridgeport the number is greater and I can play it without any problem.

I'm remaking the world in a Medium size one to see if the problem persists.
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2011
    mcorral wrote:
    Thank you. I think the number of high buildings is not the problem because in Bridgeport the number is greater and I can play it without any problem.

It's not about numbers. It's about elevators. Sims tend to get stuck around elevators. Even in high rises transplanted from Bridgeport. It only takes one or two elevators to start messing things up.

A quick test is to set the zoning to no sims allowed.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    @rflong7. How can I send the link to my world so you can download it? I don't want to place the link here to the original files. Maybe an email address?

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tjstreak wrote:
    mcorral wrote:

It's not about numbers. It's about elevators. Sims tend to get stuck around elevators. Even in high rises transplanted from Bridgeport. It only takes one or two elevators to start messing things up.

If it was that, then the only solution is to remove all high buildings, right? But the idea of the world is to create a mixture between BP and SV... then if I remove all those buildings the world will make no sense...
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited June 2011
    No, you don't need to remove them, just do as TJStreak suggested to start with:

This will only take a few minutes to do and will quickly prove or disprove if the high rises are causing the problems. :)
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok, thank you. I'll do it and I will tell you about the results.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited June 2011
    Sure, LlamaCheeze7@yahoo.com is an old Sims 2 email account. :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2011
    Mccoral, at modthe sims they did say if you do have stuck elevators in your high rises to rebuild the elevator shafts and that will stop the elevator from getting stuck in each of them.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you writin_reg. I'm starting to think that it is not a good idea to have all those highrise buildings removed... I'll set all of them to "no visitors allowed" just to see if the problem persists.

Rflong7, I've sent you the source files. If you can, please have a look at it...

Thank you all for your help. Really. It's good to see good people around here.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hi, :mrgreen:

Do you want the pictures posted here explaining what I saw? Do you want me to send the world files back with the small edits I did?

And you don't have to email the textures but thanks if there are any new ones. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi, :mrgreen:

Do you want the pictures posted here explaining what I saw? Do you want me to send the world files back with the small edits I did?

And you don't have to email the textures but thanks if there are any new ones. ;)

Hi Rflong7. Do the easier way for you. You've done enough for me already and I do not want to take more time from you.

I sent you the whole pack of textures because I added new ones and I really don't know which ones are new and which are base, so I packed them all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Check your gifts again. :wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lol~ no gifts necessary. :shock:

Okay, About routing...first I checked behind the Distant Terrain. There are some areas without Routing paint- No Camera- the no sim paint shouldn't be used here. Anyway, the white lines are routing lines and shows Sims might try and go here or can be generated by the game in those areas... don't know why it would but it's a game. :)
    1dcc1a9b.png

7ae86550.png

76c6b10c.jpg

Then I made the objects invisible to look under them... this is how:
    ee9827c4.jpg

I found some stray NoCamera paint which won't mess with routing (accept here it blocked the road) but it will mess with the camera.
    13410786.jpg

Not all objects leave a no routing footprint. The runway has to be painted under it.
    There was also a small white routing dot on one of the bridge support areas which I covered.
    08246502.jpg

One intersection has some routing paint under it.
    8bf2db23.jpg

I don't think it will be a lag issue but you had 5 fog spawners at the wharf where the no camera paint is so they can't actually get close to the fog emitters- I moved 2 to the sides of the one lot and deleted the other three. Also at the Vampire area above this place, I moved some to share lots and maybe deleted 2 or 3 or the 5/6 of them. This is up to you when testing. :)
    231466a7.jpg

5fb6dc68.jpg

Next isn't a lag issue but it makes it easier to move the camera around the world.
    The Camera paint is bumpy...it goes in and out around your mountain lots which makes the player try and figure out how to move the camera to get around.
    4dc37e8d.jpg

7a8a4075.jpg

To make it easier, I lined the paint up and replaced it with the no Sim paint.
    The camera can slide from the waterfall area to the base without the curves.
    54814d6f.jpg

They have no problem driving around but they might walking on the sidewalks.
    b7fa9b6a.jpg

The intersection corners are not set up right. I think it's the Corner Normal Map on the intersection. :)
    43271078.jpg

And the distant trees are still floating.
    9356e23a.jpg

So, that's a quick look. I hope it helped. :)

• Options
    edited June 2011
    That was very helpfull, really. I'm still learning as you can see.

I've made the changes and this weekend I'll place the buildings and sims in the world to test it.

After the changes I'm sure it will run smoother than before.

I promise I will not bother you more with the world, even if the world is still lagging.

Thank you :!:
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I set you back the world files so you can see if you want...

Also, to let you know, those orange lines you see in some of my pictures mean you have over 8 different paint layers in each rendering chunk. It can cause slower rendering on lower end computers and some lot seams can show.

Too make sure a paint is removed click the Visualize Layer option under the Terrain paint choices.
    If a chunk has that paint in it the chunk will be black and the paint will show a shade of white. Once all that type of paint is removed (above the Visualized Layer option is the Color slider- 0 means it will remove the paint) the chunk will pop back into color. :)
    Don't remove the base or first terrain paint. :shock:

It's no problem. I still learn about this program all the time. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Last question. I swear!!! I'm beggining to feel like a stalker or something similar.

How could you know that there was such number of different paint layers in the same area? Can you see individual paint layers?

How can I make that orange line visible in my world?

And another question, but this regarding camera and sim non-routable paint. When you paint an area with sim nonroutable you see a blue paint area and when you paint with camera nonroutable you see a yellow area. If you paint the same area with both, you only can see the last colour. Does that mean that the area is not affected by the other colour/layer? I mean, how can I see under a camera nonroutable if the area is also sim nonroutable?

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hi, :)

3. Both the Sims Non-routable and the Camera Non-routable paints restrict the Sims from going to an area but only the Camera routing restricts the camera.

1. View/Show Chunk Boundaries.
    13c5d943.jpg"width=450"
    If the lines are white then there are 8 or less paint layers in the chunk.

2. Visualize Layers option- to the right. The chunk will show black/while if the chosen paint is in that chunk.
    Check each paint by clicking each paint with the Visualize layer option on and count how many show in that chunk.
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=650"
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you so much. You know a lot about this tool. EA should hire you!
    I promise I will not ask you any more questions.

:mrgreen: