Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stoneshields: A City of History and Culture (Update for Island Paradise)

Comments

• QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thanks guys; I'm happy you like the world so far. Nofravell, Grey Meadow is finished. The version you want is "Grey Meadow" and not "Grey Meadow Islands," unless you still lack the Generations Expansion pack.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2011
    QH - I have been playing Gray Meadows the last couple of nights and noticed with the newest version when the game adds Sims it is giving all the Sims one name - "Default"- I have never seen a world do this before that is pre-populated - but I now have 4 new households of one Sims in each house and the household name is listed as default on the neighborhood tab. I plan on clicking on one of them this evening and see if they don't have a regular name ingame - but I figured I should mention my findings so far. Other than that i have not seen any other problems - even if this is a problem.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited August 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    QH - I have been playing Gray Meadows the last couple of nights and noticed with the newest version when the game adds Sims it is giving all the Sims one name - "Default"- I have never seen a world do this before that is pre-populated - but I now have 4 new households of one Sims in each house and the household name is listed as default on the neighborhood tab. I plan on clicking on one of them this evening and see if they don't have a regular name ingame - but I figured I should mention my findings so far. Other than that i have not seen any other problems - even if this is a problem.
    I specifically asked people to post their problems while I was in the process of updating the world, and now that it is finally up, I am now hearing the problems. Sorry if that sounded rude (it's not really directed at you), but I needed to get that out of my system. Anyway, I'm not sure how to fix that problem; it sounds more like the game acting faulty than my world. I do not know what I could have possibly done to induce such.
    edited August 2011
    I have no clue either, but it was not doing it before I updated so I could not report it until it happened. As for it being the game, I don't think it is the game as neither Rflongs Moon Base prepopulated world nor Tea and Blues worlds are doing that. But like I said I don't see a problem with it so far and only noticed it as I went to quit the game last night as i always check the hoods before leaving a world to see what new Sims may have been moved in. I try and play new sims in a hood a bit to get them skills or job or anything they might need so they will blend in better with the hood (unless of course I don't want them in the hood - then I let them fend for theirselves - hehehe).

But honestly I could not report this until it happened and I never saw this happen in the Grey Meadows Islands version. I just started this version this week and these were the first people the game moved in. Sorry - but I thought you'd want to know.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited August 2011
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    I have no clue either, but it was not doing it before I updated so I could not report it until it happened. As for it being the game, I don't think it is the game as neither Rflongs Moon Base prepopulated world nor Tea and Blues worlds are doing that. But like I said I don't see a problem with it so far and only noticed it as I went to quit the game last night as i always check the hoods before leaving a world to see what new Sims may have been moved in. I try and play new sims in a hood a bit to get them skills or job or anything they might need so they will blend in better with the hood (unless of course I don't want them in the hood - then I let them fend for theirselves - hehehe).

But honestly I could not report this until it happened and I never saw this happen in the Grey Meadows Islands version. I just started this version this week and these were the first people the game moved in. Sorry - but I thought you'd want to know.
    No, I understand. I'm just irritated how pretty much only three people posted problems after I asked for them. This has very much proven to be an unpleasant exercise seeing how I am actually spending more time fixing ridiculous problems than designing worlds or even playing them.
  • RuthmaybeRuthmaybe Posts: 184 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Hmmm. I have no "Default" households (not that I noticed anyway :?) It is fun to see all the player created sims tending bar and such, and their names all show up as "themselves" . They were all (or mostly) hanging out at the Nectory (? I think?) when I first loaded the new, final, version, and then dispersed, found gainful employment and are otherwise unremarkable, unless you run into them on the job. :-) Such fun. Thanks again for making and sharing this, it's a trip!
    edited August 2011
    Ruthmaybe - these were not the Sims Quailhog added - they are households the game moved in into empty housing, as I did not add any sims to the hood. I wanted to play the ones QH had added. I also did not see them in the game until I was ready to quit playing for the night. When I am done I always save my game then go to Edit Town to check all the hood to see if the game added sims. I usually write down the names and addresses, so the next night i will play each of the new households a little bit - if they are worth playing that is. When I went to edit town is when I saw the names default in parentesis listed on all 4 new moved in household. Three are a single guy in each place - all placed into the slums or an apartment, the 4th was a male sim and a child age boy in a house in the farm area. I have not clicked into any house to see if they have actual names, but will do that tonight.

I have not encountered any problem at all with the world and it's sims other then this tiny little thing which may be in name only as long as they actually have names when I play their household. I just thought it was strange as I have never seen this before and have played pre-pop worlds since Tea and Blues invented the method of doing this.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited August 2011
    Okay, I went to test this myself a bit and let the game run on a high speed in order to generate some random families. I have not had the same problem thus far, I've gotten Sims with proper names and random attire as I always had. I'll wait a while and see if anyone else has the same problem. The only problem that I've had is that the world is extremely dark at times... darker than I intended. The water is occasionally black... and although I hear that people can actually hold a lighter near their faucets and set their water ablaze near lake Erie, this is a new level of disgusting.
    We should direct this thread back to Fortress Rock, however, despite how I haven't posted a legit update.
  • SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited August 2011
    Just to calm things a bit down, it seems that many pre-populated user created world do have a homeless household called "Default". In the last version of Niua Simoa (the one before the GEN update) there is, for example, also one that contains 3 Sims. When the game moved in one member of them, the household was named Default and the occupant turned out to be one of tea_and_blues' pre-made Sims, Donnell Bell, while another member remains homeless and is now the tattoo artist. His household is also still called Default.
    I use AwsomeMod and before I begin playing a world I usually check the homeless population and so far almost all pre-populated worlds had that odd Default household. The game should, however, create a proper household name for them, if it only draws individual Sims from that pool, which it doesn't do apparently.

As I have so far played GM with Story Progression off, I can go and check the names of the Default household. Maybe this can give a clue to what's happening.
    EDIT: In GM there are indeed two households called Default, each has 1 member (Theodore Doty and Fredrick Matos) and they're both EA pudding faces but are always the same ones after 4 load-ups of the town.
    I also found at least one "Default" household in rflong's Broken Heart Island II, in Niua Simoa (WA) and in Plunder Island. The Generations edition of Riverblossom Hills, however, is Default free.

But back to Fortress Rock. Like in Grey Meadows I noticed that your worlds are still highly reminiscent of the square they're based on. Unless you claim this to be your artistic intention I wonder whether it wouldn't make Fortress Rock more fantastic than it already is, if its outline was a bit less square-shaped. I guess this would mean either using a larger map from the beginning or cutting down on available land in the current map, however.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited August 2011
    I can try shaving off some of the edges, but at this point in the process, it would be much too difficult to change the shape more, and I do not find it worth relocating the lots I placed down. Using a bigger map is out of the question for this world (being that it is somewhat impossible to change).
    edited August 2011
    Depending on how much work I have coming up, this may be the last update for a very long time.
    Vampire Lounge (The Count's Tankard):
    Screenshot-346.jpg
    Screenshot-345.jpg
    Disco Club (The Seizure):
    Screenshot-350.jpg
    Local Watering Hole (Textile Tavern):
    Screenshot-339.jpg
    The Last Town Signs:
    Screenshot-361.jpg
    Screenshot-358.jpg
    The Sims in the second sign will probably be included in the world as NPCs; those in the first sign are dead.
    edited August 2011
    Ignore this. Double post.
  • NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited August 2011
    Brilliant, I have to say that yet again I am impressed by your textures. The wallpapers look amazing and so does the floors. I played Grey Medow yesterday and instantly fell in love with the houses you've build there (Since I love to build houses myself, I'm a sucker for good textures and personal buildings). You really impressed me on those two things. Very well done. I am looking foward to play with this new world too. :)
  • PrincessbevPrincessbev Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    I downloaded your Grey Meadow today... I instantly fell in love with the quirky characters and the abandoned part of town... I'm tired of all the towns looking so happy and "paradise-y". Maybe this is because I live in a sunny, beachy state... I just want something different. This is something different, in a good way. I really appreciate the time and effort you put in to your sims and the stories you create with them. The houses and community lots all have some sort of personality to me. I wish I could download the Create-A-World so I could make my own town. My mom wouldn't appreciate this kind of work because she likes the Barnacle Bay type houses (she thought the ice/ snow piles were clouds :? ). You WILL make more worlds!... Please? <3 :wink:
    edited September 2011
    I have some updates since I haven't been too busy with work. I edited some Thornshire's townhouses a bit.
    Screenshot-367.jpg
    Screenshot-357.jpg
    Screenshot-375.jpg
    Added some small tombs and a police box (purely for decoration). The tombs have a much darker story behind them than those of Grey Meadow.
    Screenshot-365.jpg
    Screenshot-368.jpg
    Screenshot-369.jpg
    Also got down to furnishing the tattoo parlor and beauty salon as well as the consignment store (Ye Olde Antiques N' Crud)
    Screenshot-370.jpgScreenshot-373.jpg
    Screenshot-374.jpg
  • gr33ce39gr33ce39 Posts: 152 New Member
    edited September 2011
    Gorgeous! I've bookmarked this! I think this would be an amazing addition with PETS! I could see some aggressive dobermans, pit bulls and rotts lurking near the scrapyard. (Not like these are "bad breeds, so I hope no one takes it that way ;) Who knows? Maybe you could add an aggressive Russell terrier! ha!)

Edit: AMAZING detail by the way !
    edited September 2011
    gr33ce39: Thank you, I'm happy you like the world thus far. Considering how the Pets expansion pack will probably come out before I finish touching up the vegetation, adding sims, and furnishing the houses, I will certainly involve the upcoming expansion pack.

In addition to the Rabid Mallard Complex, I also uploaded one of the Sims, Renata Diederich, and her apartment as a sample of the town, since it will not be uploaded for quite a while... and my work is starting to pile up: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4563108
  • PapaSmurf1PapaSmurf1 Posts: 497 New Member
    edited September 2011
    As always looking good. I really like your latest buildings, they have great character, and seem to flow quite nicely from top to bottom.

Keep up the good work.
    edited September 2011
    Thank you. As of now, I am pretty much done with construction, so what you see in terms of buildings pretty much sums up the final product. I still have to fix up the trees in order to keep up some continuity.
  • happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2011
    what that little blue building you constructed?
  • RuthmaybeRuthmaybe Posts: 184 New Member
    edited September 2011
    happyjme wrote:
    Looks like a Tardis to me :shock:
    Really looking forward to checking out the story in this world, I have no doubts it will be devilishyly detailed and a ton of fun!
    edited September 2011
    Ruthmaybe wrote:
    happyjme wrote:
    Looks like a Tardis to me :shock:
    Really looking forward to checking out the story in this world, I have no doubts it will be devilishyly detailed and a ton of fun!
    Yes, I watch Doctor Who occasionally. Not an obsessed fan; however, the Tardis makes for a good Easter egg... which I just gave away because I'm stupid. I am looking forward to releasing this world and seeing how people respond to the finished product.
  • happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited September 2011
    haha ok! I feel dumb. Im gonna have to look up what a Tardis is! lol I thought it looked like a phone booth

EDIT: OH haha ok! I got it. I looked it up. I never watched the show...
    edited September 2011
    Screenshot-385.jpg
    Changed the look of the large manor on the hill, but kept the same general layout. It is possibly the only unoccupied house that comes fully decorated.
  • KimSim1965KimSim1965 Posts: 712 Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi Quailhogs.

I always admire your work. I love your sarcasm and the story you tell with your worlds. There's a uniqueness and creativity there that really stands apart. Great work. Really looking forward to Fortress Rock.

I'm off to DL Grey Meadows now.

Thanks for sharing with us all!
    Kim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top