Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stoneshields: A City of History and Culture (Update for Island Paradise)

Comments

• Options
    PapaSmurf1PapaSmurf1 Posts: 497 New Member
    edited June 2011
    That's, OK I think that most of us will live, :lol: and why would I complain about a thing like that your world is prgressing along beautifully, and at a fairly quick pace, at least compared to mine. :lol:
  • Options
    QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2011
    I just want to try and keep this thread from falling into the abyss without purely bumping it, that's one of the many functions of updates (not the main one of course).
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I understand that, mine for Madora Islands is probably back around page 20 now or further.
  • Options
    PoseurgothPoseurgoth Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2011
    Wow, I love this world. The houses have definite neo-gothic elements with the numerous steep dormers.

Although the architecture looks a little more southern than New Englandy.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you, Poseurgoth. The neo-gothic look was what I was trying to achieve. I'm not sure if I agree with the later comment, for Southern architecture and New England architecture look somewhat similar. Reviewing the subtle differences, however, the overhangs and porches are not excessive to the point of that in Southern architecture, and I often use them in conjunction with the Queen Anne styled houses, which are quite prominent in New England. I'll shut up now.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Thank you, Poseurgoth. The neo-gothic look was what I was trying to achieve. I'm not sure if I agree with the later comment, for Southern architecture and New England architecture look somewhat similar. Reviewing the subtle differences, however, the overhangs and porches are not excessive to the point of that in Southern architecture, and I often use them in conjunction with the Queen Anne styled houses, which are quite prominent in New England. I'll shut up now.
    LOL :lol::lol: , I followed it just fine.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:
    I ramble on so much here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:
    I ramble on so much here.
    Your not the only one, I do as well. :lol:
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited June 2011
    Oh, wow, this is awesome! I absolutely love it!

Oh, and just bookmark your thread so that if it falls into the craggy abyss, you can bring it back to life with a fresh update. :D Other people interested in the world will bookmark it too.

I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on this one. :D

Now, I have not been able to do much work on my poor world as of late and seeing yours has inspired me to spend a wee bit of time on it this evening.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    AlyexAlyex Posts: 84
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Screenshot-187.jpg
    I put a cemetery in the slums (because it was necessary) and divided it amongst two different lots. So the world now has three graveyards. The house in the second picture is just for show at the moment.

You could turn the house into a church where Sims can now actually get married at, thanks to Generations. I'm sure it would be a pretty nifty church like that, or a funeral home :wink:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alyex wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Screenshot-187.jpg
    I put a cemetery in the slums (because it was necessary) and divided it amongst two different lots. So the world now has three graveyards. The house in the second picture is just for show at the moment.

You could turn the house into a church where Sims can now actually get married at, thanks to Generations. I'm sure it would be a pretty nifty church like that, or a funeral home :wink:
    Yeah, I will probably use it as a funeral home, but I will make it a tomb funeral home, so it holds more of a purpose than the one I put in Grey Meadow. The church idea isn't bad either, but I already put a church in another part of town for the purpose you mentioned.
  • Options
    Jurik1124Jurik1124 Posts: 4,627 New Member
    edited June 2011
    What a lovely world! Great job!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you, guys. I'm going go back to editing Grey Meadow for a little while, so there will not be too many updates here.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's to bad, but understandable. Well I'll see you around.

Keep up the good work with both this world, and Grey Meadow.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you; however, the editing process will not take long at all. I am just not going to update as compulsively as I did before.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I didn't know that New England had alot of Queen Anne houses. I thought the architecture was primarily Colonial, but maybe Lovecraft's love of the style in his writings about New England gave me a wrong impression. Granted I live close to Louisville, so I may have a much different idea of what makes a large amount of those houses than people who live in other places. Louisville is completely packed with them, along with some other Victorian styles and Richardsonaian Romanesque houses.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Poseurgoth wrote:
    I didn't know that New England had alot of Queen Anne houses. I thought the architecture was primarily Colonial, but maybe Lovecraft's love of the style in his writings about New England gave me a wrong impression. Granted I live close to Louisville, so I may have a much different idea of what makes a large amount of those houses than people who live in other places. Louisville is completely packed with them, along with some other Victorian styles and Richardsonaian Romanesque houses.
    I understand what you're saying. When you think of New England, Colonial style comes to mind. I've used styles that can pretty much be found equally amongst several places in the United States. It's not that the world is too southern, it isn't enough New England. It shouldn't be too hard of a task; however, because Colonial houses are some of the easiest to make.
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited June 2011
    Depending on what part of New England you are in, you will see diffrent style houses from diffrent times. New England does have some of the best examples of early american homes from the late 1600's and 1700's Especialy Dutch Colonial. They were usually box shaped but sometimes had long slopes in the back. At the same time though, a lot of towns and cities in New England that prospered in the 19th century, also have some of the best examples of victorian architecture. And towns like Newport, RI have some beautiful mansions built all the way up to the early 20th century.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok. I'll admit that I've never been further NE than Akron, OH.

Are you referring to the Saltbox houses? We have some of those here in Kentucky. And we also have some of the Amityville style Dutch Colonials, although they are generally spread out through the more rural areas. My county has a few.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'll admit also, unlike with Grey Meadow, my inspiration for this city is a combination of Google Images and personal preferance instead of real life observation (I haven't been to New England for quite a while, and most of the time I spent there had been out in the country, where there is little architecture to see). Regardless, based on what happyjme said, there is that architectural diversity which I saw in the treasure trove of inspiration that is Google Images. Yeah, I sound far from high-brow right now, but I'm not a really intelligent guy to begin with.
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Yeah, I'll admit also, unlike with Grey Meadow, my inspiration for this city is a combination of Google Images and personal preferance instead of real life observation (I haven't been to New England for quite a while, and most of the time I spent there had been out in the country, where there is little architecture to see). Regardless, based on what happyjme said, there is that architectural diversity which I saw in the treasure trove of inspiration that is Google Images. Yeah, I sound far from high-brow right now, but I'm not a really intelligent guy to begin with.

I love google maps and images. Its the best way to really get a feel for a place if you plan on making a lot or world. I could spend hours just scrolling down the streets on my computer. Even if you've been to the place before, it's a good way to refresh you memory of how things actually look!

Im getting antsy about Fortress Rock, Quailhogs! How is it coming along? :)
  • Options
    ArlokkArlokk Posts: 157
    edited July 2011
    If you're using google maps for inspiration, you'll find a lot of authentic architecture in Lexington or Concord MA. If you're looking for more ocean oriented houses then try towns in RI like Newport or Jamestown, or even Prudence (my personal favorite). Gloucester and Newburyport MA are also some nice waterfront towns, and if you're looking for more city-style houses Nashua NH is pretty good :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    happyjme: That's good to know; I figured that others used Google Images as a tool, but sometimes I feel as if I need to really be there in order to understand what a place is like. I have taken a break from working on Fortress Rock; I mentioned it before, but I do not expect people to read every single comment on a thread, so I'll put it in the title. I'm going back to working on Grey Meadow to make improvements on it, so you aren't missing any activity for this town.
    Arlokk: Thank you, that is very informative. I'll keep those references in mind; however, I am nearly finished with most of the architecture for Fortress Rock. For the most part, New England is merely the location of the world, and I am not trying to replicate any city specifically. Nevertheless, I can use such places you have mentioned for inspiration.
  • Options
    WedWed Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2011
    This is a very unique and interesting world. I love the Gothic inspiration in certain parts, and this would be perfect for my Addams Family-esque type of families, as well as my modern Goth Sims (I've been searching for a world more fitting for them). Plus, I do have a weakness for darker architecture, especially the Gothic medieval style. :)

I'm sad to see that this is on hold, but only because patience is not currently the virtue that it's been said to be, lol. However... I like that you are going to take your time. I prefer that you not rush this world so that it can only get even better than from the wonderful screen shots.

I like your other industrial world (I downloaded it) but this one is more my style out of the two.

Keep up the great work! I will check back occasionally.
  • Options
    Cat0EyeCat0Eye Posts: 4,629 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I wont lie, it made me a little sad to see that you put this world on hold. I have so many ideas for the simmys that I would play here...oh well I guess all good things come in time and are worth the wait. :-D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top