Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stoneshields: A City of History and Culture (Update for Island Paradise)

Comments

• PapaSmurf1PapaSmurf1 Posts: 497 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Aside from entering the building underground, I kinda like your skyscraper. I like the overall shape, it's a much needed change to the stock skyscraper's that EA gave us, not to mention it is refreshing to look at.

The only thing, I could think of to change would be the entrance into the building, if possible. Because currently that looks a little awkward. Just a thought if you are unable to change the entrance into the building from the basement to the first floor maybe you could provide more emphasis, on the front entrance, to maybe make it look less awkward. I don't know it is just a thought.

Anyway, it's coming along nicely, and should really compliment your downtown skyline.
  • GrilledCheeseGrilledCheese Posts: 1,089 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Wow!
    I am definetly looking forward to this!
    The layout of the islands is amazing, and I can't wait for what you're going to add to it♥
  • QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2011
    @PapaSmurf1: I decided to do the building over completely. Now that I actually knew what I was doing, the building did not take nearly as long to build. I even decorated the inside. It looks pretty gaudy.
    Screenshot-178.jpg
    Screenshot-179.jpg
    Screenshot-177.jpg
    And here's another building, which I will probably demolish if I cannot fix the glitch where a giant chunk of the building becomes invisible when you zoom out.
    Screenshot-174.jpg
    @GrilledCheese: Thank you very much. Hopefully when I am finished with the town this will all pay off.
    edited June 2011
    I really like your revision of the first building there, it looks much better with the entrance, on the ground floor, other than that, you didn't seem to change the look of the building to much.

As for the second building, it has a nice shape to it, but I prefer the first one, although I do understand that the town needs variety, so you can't like every building.

Anyway nice update, it's looking good, your moving much faster than I am. :lol: LOL :lol:
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm happy with the revision. I did not want to change the shape that much because I found no problem with it. The only problem besides the basement entrance was the awkward window scenario where the building tapers off. The second building I just slapped together, I will admit. It's pretty generic and doesn't fit in too well. The annoying glitch does not do it any better, so it might not survive in the progress. I'm curious as to how your world is coming out (if there is any), for there seems to be some implication that you have something in the making.
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Yeah, I'm happy with the revision. I did not want to change the shape that much because I found no problem with it. The only problem besides the basement entrance was the awkward window scenario where the building tapers off. The second building I just slapped together, I will admit. It's pretty generic and doesn't fit in too well. The annoying glitch does not do it any better, so it might not survive in the progress. I'm curious as to how your world is coming out (if there is any), for there seems to be some implication that you have something in the making.

I actually have two, that I am working on, the one I have currently put on hold, because I became frustrated with it (Madora Islands). Here is my thread for this one: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/365286.page

As for the other one, it is still very rough, but once I finish placing the roads, I would be glad to post some pics, for everyone to see.
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:

I actually have two, that I am working on, the one I have currently put on hold, because I became frustrated with it (Madora Islands). Here is my thread for this one: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/365286.page

As for the other one, it is still very rough, but once I finish placing the roads, I would be glad to post some pics, for everyone to see.
    That's an interesting world you have there. I'll be curious as to how you progress further on it.

Here's some pictures:
    Screenshot-181.jpg
    I demolished my second custom building and the one behind it and replaced them with this playground. I needed a place for it anyway, outside of the creepy part of town.

Screenshot-186.jpg
    Screenshot-187.jpg
    I put a cemetery in the slums (because it was necessary) and divided it amongst two different lots. So the world now has three graveyards. The house in the second picture is just for show at the moment.

Screenshot-189.jpg
    Screenshot-190.jpg
    Some more houses and a nice sleazy motel (it counts as a high rise) in the slums.

Screenshot-191.jpg
    Here is the area after the burnt down buildings.

Screenshot-183.jpg
    Here's the poolside club. It's pretty bland, but I'm not much of a party animal, so I wouldn't really know how they look.

Screenshot-192.jpg
    The last of these stupid little homes that I am making.
  • Cat0EyeCat0Eye Posts: 4,629 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I love this world and can not wait for you to finish it! It looks like it has so much history with out even being complete...
    edited June 2011
    Thank you very much, Cat0Eye. Hopefully I will be finished with this world by the end of the summer.
    edited June 2011
    Thanks, hopefully within the next week or so I should be able to upload some pics from my current (WIP) world, so you can see, I think that it is flowing much better than my other world thus far.

Anyway, nice update you have here, I like your buildings, I think that, that was a good choice about tearing down the skyscraper and turning it into a park instead, because like you said it just didn't really fit with the theme of your world.

My personal favorite is the sleazy hotel, not only do I like the shape and feel of it, and it seems to really fit well with in your world, I like the name, it gave me a good chuckle. I kind of like that about your worlds, the somewhat sarcastic name's and description's of your lots, it's provides some slight humor, to a world, which has seen better times (economically) than those it is experiencing now, although the economy doesn't seem to be as bad in this world as it did in your other world.

Look forward to seeing more, and keep up the good work.
    edited June 2011
    Thank you again PapaSmurf1. The motel you speak of was originally supposed to just be another slum apartment complex, but I decided that it looked kind of like a motel. It originally had a flat roof too, but it looked kind of weird from the distance, so I switched it around. The description for it is... interesting.

Unlike in Grey Meadow, where a good half of the world was blighted and depressed, all of the poverty and muck is condensed into that one area of the world. The people I plan to use for populating that neglected district differ greatly from the rest of Fortress Rock as well in both appearance and personality.
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Thank you again PapaSmurf1. The motel you speak of was originally supposed to just be another slum apartment complex, but I decided that it looked kind of like a motel. It originally had a flat roof too, but it looked kind of weird from the distance, so I switched it around. The description for it is... interesting.

Unlike in Grey Meadow, where a good half of the world was blighted and depressed, all of the poverty and muck is condensed into that one area of the world. The people I plan to use for populating that neglected district differ greatly from the rest of Fortress Rock as well in both appearance and personality.
    No problem, your population plans seem to be rather well thought out as well, because if you think even in reality those types of towns generally have different types of people, than the suburbs would.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, as somebody who lives in the suburbs, I want to get as far away from suburbia as possible when making this world (living there isn't bad, but building it would probably be very boring). I'm glad you appreciate my thought process in this.
    edited June 2011
    I accomplished little today. All that I did was recolor this school:
    Newschool.jpg
    And make this billboard:
    Lupton.jpg
    I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out how to tweak the ambiance of the world, when I ran into this old thread of Stw402's: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/238319.page
    Once I get further acquainted, I'll eventually edit the sky and water.
    edited June 2011
    That looks much nicer than the default color of the school.

I like your bilboard, I think it's funny: "Meh, he's okay. I guess" :lol:

Out of curiosity how did you recolor the school, and change the sign? Is that the link on the bottom? or is that something else?

Anyway nice update, keep up the good work.
    edited June 2011
    Thank you; I'm glad you like that update. The link is in fact how you accomplish both of these.
  • MATZMATZ Posts: 1,854 New Member
    edited June 2011
    looks so good!
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Thank you; I'm glad you like that update. The link is in fact how you accomplish both of these.
    That's what I thought I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
  • N3mb3rN3mb3r Posts: 2,432
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:

Thanks.

I love your user name xD :lol:

and nice work it looks good :)
    edited June 2011
    N3mb3r wrote:
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:

Thanks.

I love your user name xD :lol:

and nice work it looks good :)
    Thanks! Funny thing is that it started out as a joke, in Halo, I thought it would be funny. Or it could just be my sick sense of humor.
  • ArlokkArlokk Posts: 157
    edited June 2011
    Wow I really like the terrain, it's very authentic. It kind of reminds me of this place called the Isles of Shoals off the coast of New Hampshire, me and my brother kayaked there once. Here's a link to the Wikipedia page in case you're looking for some inspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Shoals

I'm really excited to see how this world turns out! :mrgreen:
    edited June 2011
    N3mb3r: Thank you. :)

Arlokk: Thank you for the compliment and inspiration. I actually read your post way before actually responding to it, for I like to include my updates on the same posts as responses. Such a display like Isles of Shoals is the type of look that I am going for; however, what I have seen from your images is that I have left out an outer harbor (I am not counting the wharf building). I'll probably use more weathered architecture like in the pictures for that area as well. This is what I have so far. I added more land near the marsh for the docks and placed a lighthouse upon already existing land.
    Screenshot-200.jpg

Excluding the addition of the harbor, many updates from here on will be miniscule. I have gotten far in both external construction and sculpting; however, the interior design I have been seriously lagging behind in. What I have here is the second community building I built for this world from the start, which is the art gallery. I just furnished the inside and the sculpture park today.
    Screenshot-199.jpg
    Screenshot-197.jpg
    Screenshot-196.jpg
    I tried adding banners on the outside to make it more realistic, for most art museums have them, but it ended up looking stupid.

Also, the landscaping is not finished. I need to work on the rocks I sculpted, for some of them have a dopey looking cone shape to them.
    edited June 2011
    Looking good, the rope in front of the painting's is a really nice touch, and model's real life rather well if you ask me.
  • simka72simka72 Posts: 98 Member
    edited June 2011
    What a great world! :shock:
    edited June 2011
    Thanks guys; I really appreciate it. I do not think that today's update is even worth putting up. I decorated A house and added some more trees. You will see little to no difference if I was to take a picture of it, so I just decided to ramble on about it instead... Yeah. I also put in some families, but to me that has little to do with the physical world itself, and more so with the story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top