March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stoneshields: A City of History and Culture (Update for Island Paradise)

Comments

• QuailhogsQuailhogs Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:
    I'm glad you like that little addition. I have a lot of fun using the wrecked car object. The road textures are actually extracted from Bridgeport. I did not extract them myself, however, because I am as technologically savvy as a goat. Finally getting to the point, this is where I got them from: http://emmies.dreamwidth.org/3821.html
    OK, thanks, they should look much better than the default road textures in my new world.

Thanks again.
    I'm glad I could Help.

For this next update, I will actually include some captions to give you a better idea as to what you are looking at (obviously buildings for the most part).
    Screenshot-133.jpg
    Queen Anne Victorian (Not yet named)
    Screenshot-127.jpg
    "The Soiled Breech" Laundromat
    Screenshot-126.jpg
    Screenshot-135.jpg
    "Crusty Craig's Canteen" Dive Bar
    Screenshot-134.jpg
    Slum housing near the industry.
    Screenshot-132-1.jpg
    Screenshot-131.jpg
    One of the few fishing spots.
  • YorkchopYorkchop Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs, if you have not applied for a position in one of the major Hollywood studios, please do so. You have something that cannot be duplicated or copied. I don't know how to explain it. A unique style and vision and ability to create a "tale" that goes along with the style. You are so talented.

Perhaps you are Tim Burton posting under a pseudonym!?!

:?
  • TinTinnerson48TinTinnerson48 Posts: 4,151 Member
    edited June 2011
    WOW! This look SO good! I seriously LOVE your painting and lots!

I thought you said edit in game wasn't working? ;)
  • PapaSmurf1PapaSmurf1 Posts: 497 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Wow :shock: I really like your buildings, I wish mine were that good. A lot of times mine end up looking very similar to each, other and they don't always quite stay to one style. I guess you could call mine more McMansion(ish), and yours seem to break away from that. Far away from that! Unlike mine.

Anyways nice update, looking forward to more.
    edited June 2011
    Nice; Quick responses.

Yorkchop: Haha, thank you for that. My mind does tend to work in an unusual way; sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. Thanks again for the wondeful comments, Yorkchop.

TinTinnerson48: Thank you; I'm glad to see you like the aesthetics of my world. My edit in world is now working after I installed Generations; and no, I did not spend that kind of money just to get the edit in game working.
    edited June 2011
    Thank you PapaSmurf1; that's too kind of you. I sometimes make McMansionish lots also; I actually made one in this neighborhood and needed to edit it to make it fit in better. It's easier to avoid when you make the buildings look older and smaller, which isn't always an option (this is somewhat the opposite of what most people will say).
    edited June 2011
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Thank you PapaSmurf1; that's too kind of you. I sometimes make McMansionish lots also; I actually made one in this neighborhood and needed to edit it to make it fit in better. It's easier to avoid when you make the buildings look older and smaller, which isn't always an option (this is somewhat the opposite of what most people will say).
    Thank's for the tip, and your right it does sort of sound like the opposite of what most people will say. I'll give it a shot, but I know me to well, and I will probably divert back to my old ways rather quickly, but you never know.

Thanks. :mrgreen:
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    Quailhogs wrote:
    Thank's for the tip, and your right it does sort of sound like the opposite of what most people will say. I'll give it a shot, but I know me to well, and I will probably divert back to my old ways rather quickly, but you never know.

Thanks. :mrgreen:
    While I do recommend trying it, I also recommend not completely going by it forever as well, for everyone is different. For example, while I am somewhat confident in my ability at Tudor homes, I tend to avoid modern architecture because I have no idea how to integrate it within a neighborhood... I also suck at modern architecture. But yeah, hopefully that works out for you.
    edited June 2011
    I have lately worked on the long-since-forgotten urban core of Fortress Rock. I am using many of the buildings for the lots that would typically fit in poorly with the rest of the world, such as the Poolside Club or Gym. There's nothing too special about me slapping a bunch of rabbit holes and shells atop of a grid plan, but it's still useful. I also have room to show off some of the unique architecture on the outskirts.
    Screenshot-146.jpg
    Screenshot-147.jpg
    Screenshot-148.jpg
    Screenshot-149.jpg
    Screenshot-142-1.jpg
    Screenshot-150.jpg
    edited June 2011
    So good <3
    edited June 2011
    So good <3
    Thanks man
    edited June 2011
    Is this a landlocked world, or an island?
    edited June 2011
    This would be an island. I'd need to make it bigger if I wanted it to be landlocked.
    edited June 2011
    This is what the whole world looks like. I'd turn the fog off if it didn't screw up the ocean's color.
    Fortressrocksample.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Wow, your pretty far along! Can't wait to see it finished!
    edited January 2013
    Because half of the world lacks development and the cruddier part of the city only has apartment type lots, I decided to scatter some cheap cottages and shacks around the less developed areas for a less offensive take on cheap housing. This is in opposition to my previous mistake known as "Garbage Isle."
    Screenshot-160.jpg
    Screenshot-157.jpg
    Screenshot-156.jpg
    Screenshot-154.jpg
    Those who live on these lots are not expected to have a car, mostly because I do not wish to have these houses connect to the roads and if this is the best your Sim can afford, do not expect to see them driving anything more than the Sloppy Jalopy.
    Screenshot-159.jpg
    I also built a Queen Anne/Tudor Hybrid house at the edge of the creepy fores. That's all I've done for today.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2011
    I really like your house's, and how they seem to flow so nicely into your landscaping.

Keep up the good work.
    edited June 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    I really like your house's, and how they seem to flow so nicely into your landscaping.

Keep up the good work.
    Thank you again. I shall have more in stock soon.
    edited June 2011
    Any suggestions? I feel as if this project isn't engaging enough without outside influence.
  • wineland88Pwineland88P Posts: 599 Member
    edited June 2011
    hmm.... :D I can't say anything, because this world is just plain awesome, so best of luck on this world!!!
  • white_lily_1988white_lily_1988 Posts: 1,664 Member
    edited June 2011
    This world is very Beautiful. Reminds me BridgePort but improved. Looks Great :D
    edited June 2011
    Wineland88P: Thank you very much, Wineland88P. While there is always room for improvement, I will continue in my current fashion if that is what you feel.
    White_lily_1988: Thank you very much; I'm glad you like it. I figured it looked somewhat like Bridgeport at the start; while that is not necessarily a bad thing, I do not want this world to appear too much the same. Thank you though.
    Here are some more pictures:
    Screenshot-164.jpg
    Charred ruins to fill up the giant gap in the slums.
    Screenshot-163.jpg
    Revision on some of the uglier row houses.
    Screenshot-165.jpg
    An old marketplace.
    Screenshot-162.jpg
    Fancy townhouses near the school.
    Screenshot-167.jpg
    The house atop the empty plateau. A weird mixture of English and Chinese architecture.
    Screenshot-166.jpg
    Screenshot-169.jpg
    More cottages.
    edited June 2011
    I decided to try my hand at building my own skyscraper for the city. It came out rather odd looking, and because of the way I decided to build it, the entryway needed to be put underground. I will probably not get rid of it, but I will probably not keep it as is either.
    Screenshot-170.jpg
    Screenshot-171.jpg
  • happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited June 2011
    Its looking great. It looks similar to your last world, but thats ok because i love playing it and your building style is very unique. Im excited about this world having a larger downtown as well.
    edited June 2011
    happyjme wrote:
    Its looking great. It looks similar to your last world, but thats ok because i love playing it and your building style is very unique. Im excited about this world having a larger downtown as well.
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it so far. This world actually has the elements that I would have liked to put in Grey Meadow, such as the dirty snow piles, terrain textures, and roadways. I have also abused the crap out of the Tudor style, once again, but that is the style that I work best with. The next world I make, if I even make a next world, will surely be different from these two.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top