Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roofing 101: Are you hip, or a jerkin head? Part 1 by socalkdl

Comments

• Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2011
    hmmm... I'm fascinated to know which architectural term for roofing TS3 finds so offensive that it must be bleeped out :shock:
  • Options
    socalkdlsocalkdl Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited May 2011
    hmmm... I'm fascinated to know which architectural term for roofing TS3 finds so offensive that it must be bleeped out :shock:
    You posted as just as I was discovering that myself, LOL.
  • Options
    KOman123KOman123 Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited May 2011
    Socalkdl- Long time no see! Awesome tutorial! if you dont mind me asking, what are you computer specs?! Your images are always crisp, and they have the same isometric feel of sims1!
  • Options
    TinTinnerson48TinTinnerson48 Posts: 4,151 Member
    edited May 2011
    Great!
  • Options
    yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks! :D very interesting!
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • Options
    imogerimoger Posts: 5,790 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for this gorgeous tutorial, Kirk, it's very useful! :)
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for this excellent information
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    MerryWiddowMerryWiddow Posts: 4,262 Member
    edited May 2011
    I have made a note of this tutorial at Builders' 101. There has been a great need for this. Thank you for all of your research. This is a great resource. We will also be adding it to the tutorial list and TS3 Creators' Consortium.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited May 2011
    Excellent job on an informative tutorial. Now I know a whole lot more on how to put a lid (roof) on my builds. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KOman123 wrote:
    Socalkdl- Long time no see! Awesome tutorial! if you dont mind me asking, what are you computer specs?! Your images are always crisp, and they have the same isometric feel of sims1!
    Hey Koman, thanks. I have a year-old HP Quad-Core 2.34ghz Slimline. I recently upgraded the GT 220 Nvidia card to a much better GT 430 1GB DDR3, which is the fastest I can get in a half-height card. The pc has 6 GB of ram. I recently upgraded to a 25" HP LED monitor, which I love. It helps alot with the Sims.<p>
    I take most of my pics with either a Sim on the lot, or not, but in landscaping mode. This gets rid of the grid lines. I have my settings mostly medium to high in the game. My screens are taken at 1920x1080 (my monitor default) then cropped in Photoshop Elements to a smaller size. This insures they have good resolution. I upload pictures to Flickr and share them in forums at a max 640 pixels wide.<p>
    Thanks, hope that answers your question.
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    wow thanks kirk!!!! i just realized i had my resolution really low, and thats why it wasnt coming out nice and crisp!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks so much TinTin, Yoda, imoger and aleneghan. Glad you like it and found it useful. Part two is now finished and listed at the beginning of the thread.
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KOman123 wrote:
    wow thanks kirk!!!! i just realized i had my resolution really low, and thats why it wasnt coming out nice and crisp!!!
    Good deal! :D:D
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have made a note of this tutorial at Builders' 101. There has been a great need for this. Thank you for all of your research. This is a great resource. We will also be adding it to the tutorial list and TS3 Creators' Consortium.

Have fun!

MerryWiddow
    Thanks Merry. Keep posted, there's more coming.
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Excellent job on an informative tutorial. Now I know a whole lot more on how to put a lid (roof) on my builds. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Glad to help!
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kirk, I decided to take some advive on roofing, and this is what I came out wit! (first part of team building competition!)

Sunset Valley Gothica

Screenshot-83.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KOman, it's coming along nicely. It's going to be very impressive. I am going to make a couple of suggestions however. The steep tower roofs in the foreground might look better using jisgr8's "roof stacking" technique. Here is a picture of what I mean:
    5749515450_19bbc0324b_z.jpg<p>
    This I think, would add more interest to them. Also, watch your window/roof intersections. A roof slightly clipping a window is ok, and I realize this is a WIP early mock-up, but some of your windows are half-covered by gable roofs.<p>
    Lastly, it looks like this build realy wants to be Chateauesque rather than Gothic. I often find I start a build with something in mind only to find it keeps looking like a totally different type. I've learned not to fight it but just go with the direction the house is taking.
    Good job. Looking forward to more,
    Kirk
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kirk- thank you for the tips, I revised the lot, and resubmitted it! But for your viewing pleasure, I used your roofing tips again!

Hello all, so here is my newest lot, I fell in love with Italy about two weeks back when I was visiting, so I decided to construct a beautiful italianate style villa combining the best Italy had to offer, from Juliet balconies to Ivy covered pillars, even a simplified Borgia tower, the finished project will be 8 bedrooms 6.5 baths, 2 sunrooms, a sweeping 2 story foyer, huge chef kitchen and attached dining room! I have completed most of the architecture, but I'm running out of time right now so tell me what you think!

Pointe De Mar

Screenshot-94.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    KOman,Pointe De Mar is very, very nice! Beautiful contrast of block wall and stone tower. I am a big fan of shutters lately. The light green on them is super. Beautiful landscaping as well, and the roof on the tower, magnifique! Great job,
    Kirk
  • Options
    Supersoph13Supersoph13 Posts: 647 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you so much for making this thread! I've never been very good at building roofs - I find it rather hard so I usually just shove a flat roof down and be down with it - but lately I've become more daring and experimental when it comes to building, so your tips/images are very useful! Thanks! :)
    My Sim, living her best life...
    pxs8nzx2nk1b.png
    #RagsToRiches
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Supersoph. Glad my little tutorial was helpful. You won't see any of my first houses in my Studio because I didn't take any chances. They were pretty boring, lol.
    Happy building!
    Kirk
  • Options
    luckyheatherluckyheather Posts: 19,786 Member
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    :-) Thanks Sooo much as Roofs for me are often a problem, so Bookmarked and I will use your fantastic ideas from now on xxxx
    Thanks Lucky, glad to be helpful :)
    Kirk
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited June 2011
    Hey you!!!

I am to old to be hip and if I even think about jerkin, I throw a disc! :lol:
    I have been trying to catch up with everyone and I found you have been a very busy man!! The tutorials are awesome! I of course learned all about roofing from you!!

How is everyone. Bet the boys are getting big! How is big sis adjusting?

Oh, I am also visiting your studio as there looks to be a few adorable minis in there!! Almost like Christmas!!

kim :D
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey Kim, Yeah, we spent Father's Day up in the mountains with my daughter and our grand-kids. It was a hoot! The boys are over 20 lbs apiece now and I can definitely tell them apart now, lol. They like being tossed around (hope I don't slip one of my own discs). Taylor is going to start dance and Brownies, and will be going to kindergarten in the Fall. She seems to be adjusting well. We will probably take her with us for a 4 day weekend to my my brother's house up in Silverdale, WA this August so she can play with her cousin Annalise who is about 2 years younger (but taller than Taylor!!) Grand-kids are great fun.
    Well you take care. Thanks for stopping by.
    Kirk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top