Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited August 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #205 - Back to Basics

NAME: your forum id Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9240589

LINK TO MEDIA: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16659230/#Comment_16659230

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 placed by me on Pinochle Point Sunset Valley. final price 74,989

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This house holds a very dear spot in my heart as the first house bought by me and my husband.

The style is American Four Square and ours was built in 1910. The interior of the foursquare is just that, square. Ours had a bay window in the dining room that broke up the boxiness.

Common elements for four squares that were also present in our house were a large front porch across the front of the house, craftsman like woodwork (luckily ours was never painted), built in cabinetry (we had a china hutch and butler's pantry) and a hipped roof with 3 or 4 dormers.

The lower level had massive pocket doors that closed off the living room from the foyer and dining room. The front, back and upstairs doors had transoms, that way you could close the doors open the transoms and have excellent air flow.

We also thought it was possible that the house was a Sears House because we found numbers on a lot of the wood in the attic and the window sills and sashes had small brass numbered buttons on them. This was never confirmed but it was fun to think about

There were no garages because once the original one fell down the city would not allow you to build a new one.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

42058892310_b4cd1041e0_c.jpg
    Post edited by Kgaff on
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @Kgaff I love your build! I especially love your story <3 Very true to your source inspiration, and very well done!
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited August 2018
    Guys - we've added space for you to add in your social media tags to your entry forms, should you wish to!

Feel free to go back and edit your entry forms with this info.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Nice job, @Kgaff! I'll get you rec'd when you upload it!
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Thanks for the comments everyone!!

I think you all did a great job. It doesn't take long to build with such a small choice of items to use.

I really like all the different styles that have been posted already.

Uploaded my build, but added in game art since it removed the Sim-made art. Ah well. lol
    Sim made art on the wall is tricky. I did catch both your uploads and got them red'd!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited August 2018

NAME: suzses

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9241040

LINK TO MEDIA: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmnT3Bfx

>>> Correction removing and replacing two store items with base game items. Price remains about the same with removed items totalling 285 simoleans and replacements totalling 280. Changes shown in spoiler below plus are at end of album above.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    (I know I said I was working on a family, but I realized they just weren't "base game" in terms of professions, etc., so I decided to bag that. I was using Louise from a couple months ago, much later in life, with her teacher husband, a foster teen with family problems her husband had brought home, and their grand-daughter who was living with them while their daughter was in medical school in a foreign country.)

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 lot - 365 Oak Grove Rd. in Sunset Valley (I bulldozed the 30x30 lot there and replaced it with the 20x30) - $74,975.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: First off, this was a lot more fun than I expected! Maybe that's because I didn't spend a lot of time going back and forth on which things to use since there wasn't much available. I had saved an inspiration picture of a house with wonderful flower boxes and that was the basis for this house (the picture is the last in my album for the build). Of course, I couldn't pull off such wonderful flower boxes, but I still liked what I was able to come up with. The floor plan is just what occurred naturally given the spaces available, and the decor was, of course, determined by what the base game allows.

Downstairs is an open living/dining/kitchen area, somewhat broken up by the stairs to the second floor, plus the master bedroom and bath. Upstairs has a teen boy's bedroom at the back, child girl's room at the front, a second full bath, and a desk/art area on the landing. The backyard is fenced with a large deck at the back of the house.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None.

TWITTER TAG: / FACEBOOK PROFILE: / TUMBLR LINK: I'm happily social media free.

30050180438_3a08b48c52_c.jpgHomeBaseExtFront by Sue H, on Flickr

42110617990_d1c4a73a94_c.jpgHomeBaseDining by Sue H, on Flickr

Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    OK, so, I just looked at my upload and see two store items *sigh.* They're the frying pan on the wall behind the stove and the floor candles in the living room. I had built this in my main game file with only base game enabled, but I am never able to get it to exclude store content that way. After I was finished, I took it to a clean Sims 3 file with no store content installed to check it, mostly because I wondered about patterns, and I didn't see anything amiss, but maybe I just overlooked those two things. I'll try that again and see what happens. I can change those things out and put up a couple corrected pictures.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzses What a lovely home!! I love your inspiration picture and you definitely did it justice! It's got such a natural flow to the layout, and lots of room to move around. :)
    Nice! I always love seeing the inspiration pic too!

I've learned to just rename my old sims 3 folder and then uncheck all the EPs/SPs to do a base game only build. It's wonderful not having everything to sort through!
    edited August 2018
    YEW12tS.png
    Attention Advanced entrants for #204 - Dream A Little Dream - your results are now available here.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    I've fixed my entry to change out the two store items I accidentally included and added a correction above. Hope it was OK to include a spoiler with picture of the changes with the entry.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM No. 205: Back to Basics

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9243991

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/8Uw6HaE

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30; 18 Maywood Lane Sunset Valley; Final cost: 73, 352

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: For this challenge I perhaps combined the back to basic challenge with the back to school attitude that all the stores are pushing. So I made a basic schoolhouse. As is well evidenced by a lot of my builds I have a fondness for conversions and well this one just stuck in my head. I worked loosely with the idea that this had been Sunset Valley's school before they became a city, it had been left to ruin until some ambitious sim came along to make a community fixture into a habitable space once again. Hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
    @mederouin Oh, I love your blending of back to basics and back to school! Your little red school house is so cute!
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited August 2018
    I did not even think this was still alive! Wow!
    Thanks!

edit: Sorry about that--my brain seems to have gone to sleep ahead of my body. :D Deleting the question.
    Post edited by iampes23 on
    So cute, @mederouin !
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2018
    NAME: iampes23
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9246823
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/1iy08bt
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 lot at 55 Water Lily Lane, $75,000
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: A modern-looking house with clean lines to entice people to come, this new home has touches of coziness and warmth inside for any family to enjoy! The first floor is mainly black and white with pops of red. The second floor is given up to the children, including a reading area and play area. The third floor is really a rooftop deck for all sorts of outdoor actives. A pool and barbecue area make this home especially family-friendly!
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: only recolors in game using Maxis patterns
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    ReOWXvC.jpg
    I7Sx7ge.jpg

I really love that name, @mederouin. The look and layout is great. I've never thought to put that butterfly wall hanging at an angle in the corner like that... awesome!

You got a lot of house for your money, @iampes23! I love that diagonal front door!

I rec'd them both!
    edited August 2018
    ciane wrote: »
    You got a lot of house for your money, @iampes23! I love that diagonal front door!

Thank you! I was going for a modern-type exterior, and diagonal front doors just fit that for me. This was my third (and completely different) build attempt. LOL I have a need for huge rooms, and this budget just did not allow for it. :D

Ciane-you should definitely enter! I and a lot of other people are loving your build! The only way I was able to get so much in mine was by recoloring cheap stuff and using the $0 or in some cases the $4 wall coverings and changing them to what I wanted the house to look like. I have not even played the Sims in about 2 years or so, and I need to practice some of the old tricks and cheats. But I did remember that as a way to extend the budget. Also, except for a little bit of carpeting, I used the $0 wood flooring (including outside-although the paint tool would have worked as well). A few of the tiny things were from debug as well, to add a little clutter (toys and bubble baths).
    Post edited by iampes23 on
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    NAME: cwaddell
    LINK TO LOT: Basic Beach House
    LINK TO MEDIA: Forum Thread - Builds by cwaddell
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: NA
    LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30, 9 Sun Song Ave Sunset Valley, costs $74,350
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I chose the empty 20x30 lot next to the Frio brothers in Sunset Valley because it gives a +15 moodlet for a beautiful vista. The lot location determined the style of house - a beach house. To take advantage of the view I built an "upside down" house with the living areas on the second floor. Because this is a new house, never lived in before, there is no accumulated clutter.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: NA
    TWITTER TAG: NA
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: NA
    TUMBLR LINK: NA
    dzIPlt3.jpg
    Tvc4lgd.jpg
    Aw thanks, @iampes23. Yeah, I usually choose the pool wall to recolor and mix that with some free brick. I love wooden floors, so the free flooring is always good. I also love using the terrain paint for sidewalks instead of floor tiling when I can. I am fairly good at cutting corners; but I like comfortable seating and good showers, etc. too much to go for larger homes with the cost of walls so much! :smiley:
    edited September 2018
    5nd1sli.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    3gHHX7s.png

jtJ0Tk3.jpg

The intercom buzzes, and Rose’s voice on the other end sounds odd. Not frightened, more… in awe?

“There are some… people here for you?”

Was that a question? “Well, go ahead and schedule an appointment. I think next week is free-“

“I think you need to see this for yourself,” she whispers.

You head out to the lobby to find out what could possibly have your secretary in such a state. There are three large men in black suits and sunglasses with radios in their ears. You wonder if this is a prank, they look straight out of some government conspiracy movie. You aren’t entirely sure which one is in charge so you simply address them as a group.

“Good morning, gentlemen. What can I do for you?”

One looks around the room before talking into a hidden microphone. “It’s all clear.”

You are certainly seeing why Rose was a little overwhelmed. Just then a very professional-looking woman enters carrying a briefcase and followed by another man in a suit. She walks up and offers her hand, which you take politely.

“You must be the architect. I apologize for the…” She tips her head toward the three men and smiles. “Protocol.”

“Of course. Protocol,” you echo, still having no idea what is going on. “I’m sorry, I missed your name.”

“General Leanne Harris, SSA,” she says, and you are caught off guard by how warm her presence is. You always though Generals were meant to be gruff. And… old.

“The Sim Space Agency?” You see Rose’s eyes pop, and hope you are keeping better hold on your own surprise. “What can I do for you?”

Because you honestly have no idea what you could possibly do for the SSA

“Can we talk in your office?” General Harris asks.

Oh dear, you really are flustered by this! “Of course, my apologies. This way.” You lead her to your office, the man behind her following but the other three staying in the lobby.

She doesn’t sit, but instead opens her briefcase and hands you a yellow folder. “As you are no doubt aware, the SSA is researching the possibility of sending Sims to Mars.”

Of course you know, you’ve been following the news whenever you can. You just love the idea of space travel!

“But what does that have to do with me?” you ask, opening the folder and seeing some concept sketches for… Mars habitations?

General Harris smiles. “We at SSA know that sometimes the best ideas can come from the least expected places. Our engineers can handle the logistics of interplanetary goods movements, material strength, desalinization, that sort of thing,” she says with a wave of her hand. “But when it comes to people, to psychology, we want to tap into the resources available right here in our community. Your work in architecture has become something of a legend, and we’d like you to help design a Mars habitation unit.”

You gape.

“Just a prototype, of course. It will be built here on earth, but we need to conduct extended isolation tests with our crew and that means we need a fully-functional environment that can simulate living on Mars.”

“And you want me?” You only wish you could do your happy dance singing ‘yes, yes, yes!’ without looking too unprofessional.

“Who better? You understand what people want and need in a living space, how to layout areas for best use. We’re hoping you can offer a fresh design perspective for us to consider. And,” she stresses, “You’re good with a budget.”

You can’t help but smile a little at that. “And what is my budget for this?”

“It’s all in the brief,” she says with a smile.

vPz5U5r.png
    • §500k budget
    • Design a Mars Habitation for a 6-Sim team of astronauts and scientists.
    • Habitation must be fully self-contained (there is no atmosphere!)
    • Must include areas or objects for sleeping, hygiene, fitness, cooking, recreation, plants, and research.
    • Built on a 30x30 or smaller lot. No more than 1 level below ground (including foundation basements) and no more than two levels above ground.
      (for a maximum of 3 total floors)
    • This is a prototype build, so ‘landscape’ doesn’t matter, but it should be isolated from other structures.

Optional Challenge: Create the 6 Sims astronauts and show them living and working in their habitation. Tell us what their fields of specialty are and their attributes that make them important for a Mars mission!
      3gHHX7s.png

Dm5g7dk.png

The deadline for this challenge is 30th September 2018 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]
      5ZgkRIL.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    OMG! This sounds like so much fun. I was thinking about sitting out this month because busy with something else, but I'll make time! B)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top