Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »

I decided to give this a try but I want to make sure I understand the requirements.

Koi is supposed to be a teen? I made her a young adult and used her to test my house. But I can change her into a teen and make her a part of a household with her aunt.

Here is what she looks like as a young adult. I had her go out to catch some fish for the aquarium. I decided to put salt water fish in the aquarium and fresh water fish in the pond.
    Koi_zps1bvxh4kw.jpg
    Screenshot-111sm_zpsrrhnx2ra.jpg

Because of the setting for this lot I decided to go with a rustic modern house, circa 1970's. Not sure if that is modern enough. I still need to do some changes to the decor but here is a peek ...
    Screenshot-26sm_zpsz9xn6971.jpg
    Screenshot-25sm_zpszzw4qvni.jpg

and a look at the pond.
    Screenshot-58sm_zpsmqwvnyjd.jpg

Also can we use CC? Koi has CC hair, skin, eyes. blush, lipstick and patterns. The house has some CC patterns.

Welcome to Build'n'Share @cwaddell !! Yes, Koi is supposed to be a teen, as part of a household with her Aunt, if you wish to enter the Sim part of the challenge. The home itself looks lovely! The brief has been left fairly open, to see what you can come up with, so whatever style you think fits is great! CC is allowed, but please post links.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Love your Koi and her house @cwaddell!

Thank you. I like yours too. Sorry I didn't respond quicker but I discovered I could no longer share things from my game - neither my lots nor EA lots. I tried various things but finally started over with a fresh Sims 3 folder. I could then share but some of the EA content was missing from the Koi house build. So the last few days I've been slowly installing more and more sims3pack file content (both EA store content and CC).

Welcome to Build'n'Share @cwaddell !! Yes, Koi is supposed to be a teen, as part of a household with her Aunt, if you wish to enter the Sim part of the challenge. The home itself looks lovely! The brief has been left fairly open, to see what you can come up with, so whatever style you think fits is great! CC is allowed, but please post links.

Thanks for your response. I am in the process of finishing the lot and making the Herring household. I'm trying to relearn the process for replacing pictures in the uploaded lot. Will create a thread with pictures and fill out the entry form soon. :)
    edited June 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #191 - Koi Herring

NAME: cwaddell

LINK TO LOT: Rustic Modern with no CC

LINK TO MEDIA: Koi's House thread

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: NA

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30X40 , 74 Landgraab Ave, Sunset Valley , $49,739

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I built a rustic modern house with a natural pond to fit the setting. The house and lot are layed out so that additions can be made easily on the right as the household grows and acquires more wealth. Furnishings were chosen to give the sims living here the nicely decorated (+25) moodlet in the bedrooms and the beautifully decorated (+40) moodlet in the great room.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: NA

Glad you got your entry in @cwaddell, and what a great entry it is!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @cwaddell Beautiful! Both Koi and her house are lovely :)
    Thank you @BuildnShare and @creativemetaphor for your lovely comments. I just updated my house thread to include a picture of the layout that I forgot.
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Looks great @cwaddell!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    edited June 2017

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: n/a

3-exterior-6.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: Red Herring

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: intermediate (I did use CFE on the pool/pond seam. Should I bump this up to advanced for that?)

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 74 Landgraab Avenue, 30x40, final cost: 50,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Ms. Herring had left pictures of her parents' houses in Africa and England to inspire her niece's new home, as well as some more information about Koi herself. The house blends traditional African with rural English elements and then brought into the modern age starting with the appliances in the kitchen for Koi to enjoy the fruits - er - fish of her labors, and a full-height tropical fish tank in the living room.

The kitchen was inspired by the great fireplaces and hearths of English country houses, the kitchen being the heart of the home. This became the grand cooking area with a stove and grill, and an important element for Koi. There are goldfish in the bowl on the counter, and the dining area is kept intimately connected to the kitchen rather than divided off into its own room.

The living room walls are plain white to soften the many fabrics and colors of African decor. Here she can sit and enjoy watching the fish swim, or get down to her studies. Two large book cases to hold the many books school and college will require, and there is a skeleton for her future medical studies.

For all that she had her life figured out, Koi was still a typical teenager, and there was a balance between her Aunt's high expectations for the house and Koi's playful and friendly personality. Her room is filled with some of her favorite childhood toys, an old crab-pot as a night stand, and of course more fish. The bathroom has playful fish-themed towels, a pebble bath mat, and a fantastic shell fossil on the wall. She can keep her makeup and perfumes on the low table under the sink.

Outside has a patio to relax in relative privacy, and a large tree provides shade in the heat of the afternoon. The pond is stocked with koi, of course, as well as some other common fish, and the other side is perfect for swimming. The final touch being an old fishing boat filled with landscaping.

Koi cooked a delicious meal as a thank-you for her Aunt's generosity.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    edited June 2017
    Wow!! @creativemetaphor - Red Herring looks amazing, love the use of all the fishy decor and that octopus out in the boat is just fabulous!!
    @FaithofKaela Oh thank you! I think that ended up being my favorite part of the whole build!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    You named your lot Red Herring too!!! It looks like you really had fun with this! Awesome.
    ciane wrote: »
    You named your lot Red Herring too!!! It looks like you really had fun with this! Awesome.

Too good of a pun not to cite :mrgreen:
    Looks great @cwaddell!!

Thank you.
    LINK TO MEDIA: Red Herring

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Ms. Herring had left pictures of her parents' houses in Africa and England to inspire her niece's new home, as well as some more information about Koi herself. The house blends traditional African with rural English elements and then brought into the modern age starting with the appliances in the kitchen for Koi to enjoy the fruits - er - fish of her labors, and a full-height tropical fish tank in the living room.

The lot is well done and interesting. Your Koi and her aunt are spot on. When I first started this contest I got the impression that they were oriental. It wasn't until I reread the description that I realized my mistake so did not submit the extra credit. You did a good job of incorporating the back story into the build and the sims. I especially like your built shower stall. I'm going to rip that idea off and use it in the future. :)
    edited June 2017
    @cwaddell I don't see why they couldn't be. It never specifies their ethnicity, only that the aunt has darker skin, but plenty of Asians have darker skin, and plenty of ethnicities have lived in South Africa and England so there's absolutely no reason why Koi and Aunt Herring couldn't be of Asian heritage :) Or Koi's mom could be Asian and her dad African - there are really no reasons at all why your Koi should have to be any different. There's still time, I'd leave your Koi in the running, I thought she was perfectly lovely!

Thank you for the compliments, also! I actually did a tutorial for the shower in my build thread (where my entry pictures are). It really adds to the reality for me as so many people do walk-in showers or over-sized ones these days.
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    @creativemetaphor & @cwaddell - it looks like photobucket is blocking all your media sweets, can you let us have a link to the actual media, or upload via a different hosting site?
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @creativemetaphor & @cwaddell - it looks like photobucket is blocking all your media sweets, can you let us have a link to the actual media, or upload via a different hosting site?

@BuildnShare @creativemetaphor @cwaddell: Photobucket has just updated their TOS. Basically, you have to pay $400/yr in order to share your photos on 3rd party sites i.e. forums. This is absolutely extortionate, so I'd suggest for anyone and everyone to find a permanent new home for images. I'm looking at flickr and imgur at the moment to see what's best! Grrr!
    @buildnshare will update my photos tonight. *grumblegrumblestupidphotobucket*
    aricarai wrote: »

@BuildnShare @creativemetaphor @cwaddell: Photobucket has just updated their TOS. Basically, you have to pay $400/yr in order to share your photos on 3rd party sites i.e. forums. This is absolutely extortionate, so I'd suggest for anyone and everyone to find a permanent new home for images. I'm looking at flickr and imgur at the moment to see what's best! Grrr!

Thanks for clarifying @aricarai, will also post this info over on the TS4 thread.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @buildnshare All updated! Thanks for catching that :)

Thanks @aricarai for the explanation of what happened! Officially dumping photobucket.

Thanks @aricarai for the explanation of what happened! Officially dumping photobucket.

I'm super annoyed about it. I don't like change! Haha! And so far, I can't find anything that comes close to the features that photobucket has, granted I only really want something that will automatically resize images when I upload them.

I'm super annoyed about it. I don't like change! Haha! And so far, I can't find anything that comes close to the features that photobucket has, granted I only really want something that will automatically resize images when I upload them.
    @aricarai - have you ever used XnView? It's a free piece of software that you can batch process images to resize etc...

@aricarai - have you ever used XnView? It's a free piece of software that you can batch process images to resize etc...

Nope, but I will definitely look into it! Thank you @FaithofKaela
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @aricarai - I quit using photobucket awhile back when they came up with their redirect stunt. I switched to wordpress and really love it. They offer you different size options and let you crop. You upload all your screenshots into the media section. I create a new page and then hit add media before uploading. Then, I just hit continue and choose to upload images in either random groupings or singularly. That puts all images into one page for you to present your way. You can also choose to share the images into the forums here one at a time.

Here's an example of home and story together on a page:
    https://iamciane.wordpress.com/stories/the-middle-of-nowhere

They do have a limit. So you'll have to create more accounts over time or keep it cleaned out.
    #BnS191 is now officially closed!!

We will get #BnS192 up soon.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Challenge #192 - By The Waterside

There was a lot of happy laughter as your new assistant ushered your latest appointment into your office. You recognized one of them as the uber cheerful fashionista Rosie, Journye's wife.

Beside her was another gorgeous woman with long dark hair and deep black eyes. Something about her face makes you think of a few of your past clients, the Dismedousas innkeepers and the reclusive, nature loving Xantha Disthenos. Her clothing is every bit as stylish as Rosie's. Her hair and makeup are a level of natural perfection to make anyone jealous.

Rosie, after giving you a greeting hug, cheerfully introduces the woman as her partner. "This is Lilith Dismedousas."

The woman smiles and shakes your hand, "Call me Lily."

"It's lovely to meet you." You invite them to sit, and offer refreshments.

Once the requisite chit chat has been taken care of, Lily says "I have been staying at Journye and Rosie's house and I have to say it is utterly delightful. I was just going to get an apartment or rent a house, but after spending my time there..." She rolls her eyes with a grin. "I just can't. And Rosie assures me that you can give me the perfect home. We have also talked about having you do our shop when we finally get all the paperwork done."

"Is there a lot of that?" You inquire curiously. There hadn't been a ton when you started your business. “

Lily laughs, "You have no idea. But that's for later."

"Right!" You flip open your notebook. "What are you looking for?"

"Either a house on the beach or a houseboat. I LOVE water. Always have. Captain of my swim team and all that. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. I have a lot of family, some you've even done work for. They like to visit. I like beachy colors and lots of windows facing the water."

She smiles, "I'm a decent cook so moderate kitchen. I'm open minded about most things but my bathroom." Lily smiles and touches her hair. "I am a cosmetologist and my bathroom is my haven, my lab, my favorite room. It needs to be super comfortable. Lots of counter space, mirrors, big bathtub, great lighting. You get the idea."

You nod, busily jotting.

"And of course I spend a lot of time outside in the ocean or nearest pool, so I'd like my outside space to reflect that."

"Open concept?" You inquire. "Any particular style?"

"Anything but those modern block looking houses." She rolls her eyes. "I grew up in the city where everything is blocky. No thank you."

"Got it. Budget?"

"70k."

"Now, about finishes..."

Requirements
    2.5 bath
    3 bed
    Houseboat or on the beach
    No modern design
    Big master bath
    Beach inspired color
    Outdoor living space

Optional Challenge

Create Lilith Dismedousas and show her enjoying her new space.

Deadline: Monday, July 30th, 2017, Midnight EST
    GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top