Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    Which is a better color for a living room plum purple or white(or any colors you think are good)
    I think white may be a bit too modern/minimalist for Victorians. I do like the sound of plum though. It's something I would have not thought of, though I really love that colour. What about something like this for a pallet?
    https://kuler.adobe.com/Plum-Tree-color-theme-195248/

There were pure white Victorians. Part of the fun though is the painted ladies. During that time Paint was expensive, colored paint even more so. You showed off your wealth by painting your house in multiple colors.
    Yeah, I know. Many in game objects tend to look too clean and modern in white though. Some even shine like they were made of plastic, you know?
  • MrzNSmithMrzNSmith Posts: 370 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Haha I actually like these cotton candy versions of victorian ;)
    Me too because how often do you see a Barbie's country cottage dream house in real life? :lol:

Don't get me wrong I like them but it just was a shock after looking at house plans to get a feel of what I was doing, and the funny thing is the person that owns the house in the top photo calls it: Barbie Doesn’t Live in This Victorian Anymore, she renovated the house which is an 1890's Victorian but the person that had it before put tacky vinyl siding on it and made it look like Barbie's dream house as she puts it.
    uUABhnHoaTurWewmdJRta_qF465L722rPmUNhKdVW0sgPo8a7IgCcxjtLwn3ciTK5-BkKA2DvUBi-AIhSd4B_GluqPcTdlHINfwlmSYES694rTL5oq9FCoZroHGr2f_hL51c2Q8_cihF8Z_U8YtGDxL2tbuIq5m4Q8wNX_w_a2ZkLO0x2TYyC8hancoqF1_9PoBkCiyZgO2g6qx-HtyGGyAfGyMC_9GgxMiDCFlqoXeTu3xbYgm1X3RTSHfhsf65WPrvdA08k__3kueIYg1TCC644ylX3sz2_JNEKA-szzuyGGdAdKpyMTM1bW1FPGqUhf0WGhi4gPdZLA5DeeUDRL-zrOSp9IAcRbjV14DA2QiQxzIxXlqdoFNPA-wXxhXnDlYbiHuPgqvCW8NHtHbfAIm7zfYYWJRX04fRKmCNR4D_wCTAoMfvQ7YZLw3Np8XfIBVBWS_GqnUH47wh5vxqHFpoN3AN3HQJzPUNJIhL3obfcNmDelllZWb3kNJSeQW24qIsbLV4bZL7bIBi0jd8KJwMtPPym06mLyzzAatg4yEWN89btgE_hNcOKVkoq4LuCWlF=w462-h214-no
  • PhoenixRyderPhoenixRyder Posts: 138
    edited February 2014
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    Ok I did a search for traditional victorian house colors and I would swear a 3yr old painted some of them. I know they can have unique color schemes but I never expected this which are not good examples to help break away from ones usual suspect list of colors.

Victorian-house-after-porch.jpg050_2-WEB.jpg
    Those actually look like gingerbread houses. It's a variation of the Victorian gothic style (and they're adorable!) They mostly look like life size doll houses. I'm building one in another game based on this one:
    gingerbread_houses1.jpg
    I think you may find searching Queen Anne style or Gothic Revival will yield some less technicolor results. :lol:

Also congrats to the advanced winners, ArikaB, ISHTARJMD and Frederico! Spectacular builds, guise!

Victorians did have an interesting sense of colour, didn't they? I study british history and did a class on the victorians last semester and their colour combinations, and the reasons for why certain colours worked well together seem very outlandish now.
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm working on judging the intermediates but I have a question for Gmcrozier and Iampes23, you both have two entries. Could you make a decision with which one you would like to enter?

Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • SimminGirlSimminGirl Posts: 47
    edited February 2014
    Okay I've updated my entry form to include a link to the house if anyone wanted to download it. :) I've removed all the CC.

Congratulations to the winners of the last challenge! :D Awesome work!! I love them all.
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    I'm working on judging the intermediates but I have a question for Gmcrozier and Iampes23, you both have two entries. Could you make a decision with which one you would like to enter?

I guess, if I have to choose... the 2nd one "Xantha's Retreat"

lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7980033

media: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=460887
  • RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2014
    A tip for newcomers!

Make use of the entire budget on your builds, you may aswell!

Using half walls is a good way to separate rooms as well.

Also, google is your friend when it comes to these, so make good use of the images etc available to you for inspiration. Floor plans are also a good way to help with layout and the shell of houses.
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:

Even though the kitchen is a bit broken up, please use this one:

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM Build-n-Share Challenge #231-232** Natures Child

NAME: iampes23

LINK TO LOT: will not upload (my original lot for this challenge-due to it not uploading, I went back and added cc)

LINK TO MEDIA: sorry, some of the pictures are out of order since I did not have time to upload them individually and cannot move them from the order they uploaded) http://s97.photobucket.com/user/iampes23/slideshow/Natures Child II

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Xantha Disthenos is a loner and a technophobe with green thumb, artistic, and savvy sculptor traits. She has eyes nearly as dark as her raven, Tear. She prefers to dress in black, also like Tear. She spends her days making friends with the local animals, gardening, and working on her photography, sculpting, and painting. Her life time goal is to be considered a visionary. (included pics of Xantha and the stuffed version of Tear in the link to the media)

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 36x47, 53 Waterfall Way, $55,000 (price not including SUV and the sprinklers I added after moving Xantha in)

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Xantha Disthenos is a painter and a sculptor with a need to be away from people. She loves birds and nature, so she wanted to live out in the woods. To accomplish this, her new home is set on a lot far from town that has been reforested. She picked a lovely, secluded lot with a waterfall view for her new home. She spends her days gardening, fishing, painting, and sculpting when she is not working on her alchemy and cooking skills. Her Raven's name is Tear, and he watches over her as she works around the house.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: lots of cc from TSR and my own patterns from CAP

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2014
    Ok :) So for both the second entry ;)
    Thanks for letting me know so fast!

It's going to take me a while to go through all entries and optional challenges, so bare with me!

• cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Ok :) So for both the second entry ;)
    Thanks for letting me know so fast!

It's going to take me a while to go through all entries and optional challenges, so bare with me!

You can do it :mrgreen: :thumbup:
    edited February 2014
    haha Thanks Cmbaker! :)

• VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2014
    VannaRed - do you want constructive criticism on your build??

I would like to not use that entry. I messed up the form and I jumped the gun a little on entering. I'm so excited about being a part of your great ideas and challenges. :) Sorry for any inconvenience.

• CathasaighCathasaigh Posts: 26
    edited February 2014
    NvZanten wrote:
    Thanks for the link. I had a lot of fun looking around the site.

Sure, np! I went on a huge "shopping" spree on TSR and MTS before building that house. Can't you tell? =P
  • ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited February 2014
    Artgirl220, Vampireninjabunny, Dduckebelle: There are very few pictures of your build to judge your entry by. Please add more. Try a photobucket, flickr, blog or something similar since the Sims3 site is very limited.

Kitoraem
    please check your link. I'm only getting error messages.

8jt7, Please set your gallery to public. Google is asking for a log in.

I hate to have to set a deadline, but there are others who are waiting for feed back. You have till Saturday Night. Otherwise I'll have to judge what is there.

Sorry guys..
    edited February 2014
    **Build-n-Share Challenge #233-235** Venus

NAME: gmcrozier

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8001254

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Glenn_Crozier/story/73165#

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 50x50, 1004 Pomona Promenade, $256,321

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This beautiful Victorian has been updated with all the modern conveniences while giving a nod to it's traditional heritage. Boasting a Butler's Suite on the main floor off of the dining room and a Master Suite and 2 more bedrooms on the 2nd floor. Also on the 2nd floor is a media room and the main bathroom. On the ground floor you have a Home Office/Den, Grand sitting parlor, Powder room,Dining room and a large and bright kitchen. In the basement you will find a game room, workout room, laundry room and 3/4 bath, so you can freshen up after your workout. I wanted to put in a laundry chute, but I couldn't figure out how to represent it. Outside you will find lush landscaping, including a private pond, rose garden and vegetable garden. Also there are several outside seating areas to make the most of the yard and it's views. With an area for grilling, a pool and a hot tub you're set to be the hit of the neighborhood. There is a 2 car carport with easy access to the porch and back yard. Even with all the landscaping, there is still room to add play areas as your children grow. This Country Victorian is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Welcome Home

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None

I hope the media link works, this is the first time that I have used photo bucket
    edited February 2014
    If any one is interested here is the link to the Gothic Victorian that I made, but chose not to submit (as we are only aloud to submit 1 home).

I thought that I would still share it.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8001300
    edited February 2014
    This may be a stupid question, but is it alright to delete the houses in the launcher after uploading? and if I do will they still be available in my Sims 3 library to place?

Also to the judges.. I messed up and deleted the movie for the Nature's Child challenge. Do you still need it? I have some of the screenshots, if you need me to upload them and give you a new link.

Also I have the original pics that were used to create the movie here:

http://www.thesims3.com/mediamanager.html?persona=gmcrozier&sortField=uploaded_date&sortOrder=desc&mediaType=ALL TYPES&position=0&index=1
    edited February 2014
    gmcrozier wrote:
    This may be a stupid question, but is it alright to delete the houses in the launcher after uploading? and if I do will they still be available in my Sims 3 library to place?

Also to the judges.. I messed up and deleted the movie for the Nature's Child challenge. Do you still need it? I have some of the screenshots, if you need me to upload them and give you a new link.

http://www.thesims3.com/mediamanager.html?persona=gmcrozier&sortField=uploaded_date&sortOrder=desc&mediaType=ALL TYPES&position=0&index=1

1 Yes it's save to delete the upload from the launcher, it will still be in your studio as well as your library.

2: Yes, I still need those pictures ;) Could you upload them to a photosharing site? Like photobucket, flickr, google+ or anything? That would be great (especially because I can see the pictures big that way)

• Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited February 2014
    VannaRed wrote:
    VannaRed - do you want constructive criticism on your build??

I would like to not use that entry. I messed up the form and I jumped the gun a little on entering. I'm so excited about being a part of your great ideas and challenges. :) Sorry for any inconvenience.

No problems VannaRed, I'll take that entry off the list ;)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    gmcrozier wrote:

1 Yes it's save to delete the upload from the launcher, it will still be in your studio as well as your library.

2: Yes, I still need those pictures ;) Could you upload them to a photosharing site? Like photobucket, flickr, google+ or anything? That would be great (especially because I can see the pictures big that way)

here is the link to photo bucket

http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Glenn_Crozier/slideshow/Nature s Child?sort=4

they are the same pictures used to create the original movie.
    edited February 2014
    Thank you :) I'll go on with judging :)

• RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited February 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM BNS 233-235 Venus.

NAME: RachelShennan

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8002685

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/JabberJayyy/library/Build N Share 233 to 235?sort=3&page=1

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: Not Entered

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 50x50, 52 Rainbow Drive (Roaring Heights), $255,371

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: A traditional style victorian build with some modern additions but mostly tradtional furnishings. A quirky colour scheme on the outside but nice, muted colours for the interior. Comes with 4 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, with a separate laundry room and also a sun room. Plenty of space in the luxury home. There's also a gazebo for hanging outside on those sunny days, and also a greenhouse if you like gardening. My favorite feature has to be the maze though, just a bit of fun which then leads to a private seating area (perfect if you want alone time). (also, landscaping isnt by strongest point). The butlers suite is on the top floor, with a small living area and a separate bedroom and bathroom.

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: No CC used.

Screenshot-268_zps0c2af398.jpg
  • VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Venus (233-235)

NAME: VannRed

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8003192

LINK TO MEDIA: http://vannaredsim.blogspot.com/2014/02/venus-challenge-233-235-traditional_6.html

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:
    LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 50x50, 678 Old Farm Road, River View.
    Total cost $218,020

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Lots to discover and enjoy here. There are three bedrooms on the second floor with three bathrooms. On the first floor you'll find an office off the parlor with it's own powder room. There is also a butler's room off the kitchen near the laundry and pantry and back entrance. The attic boasts a nice area for the kids and a bathroom, plus an extra bedroom for that moody teen. The garden has a fully functional greenhouse.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: The patterns I used are ones I made myself. :) you can find them in my studio.
  • MimiLuvsPJOMimiLuvsPJO Posts: 19
    edited February 2014
    gmcrozier wrote:
    **Build-n-Share Challenge #233-235** Venus

NAME: gmcrozier

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8001254

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Glenn_Crozier/story/73165#

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 50x50, 1004 Pomona Promenade, $256,321

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This beautiful Victorian has been updated with all the modern conveniences while giving a nod to it's traditional heritage. Boasting a Butler's Suite on the main floor off of the dining room and a Master Suite and 2 more bedrooms on the 2nd floor. Also on the 2nd floor is a media room and the main bathroom. On the ground floor you have a Home Office/Den, Grand sitting parlor, Powder room,Dining room and a large and bright kitchen. In the basement you will find a game room, workout room, laundry room and 3/4 bath, so you can freshen up after your workout. I wanted to put in a laundry chute, but I couldn't figure out how to represent it. Outside you will find lush landscaping, including a private pond, rose garden and vegetable garden. Also there are several outside seating areas to make the most of the yard and it's views. With an area for grilling, a pool and a hot tub you're set to be the hit of the neighborhood. There is a 2 car carport with easy access to the porch and back yard. Even with all the landscaping, there is still room to add play areas as your children grow. This Country Victorian is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. Welcome Home

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: None

I hope the media link works, this is the first time that I have used photo bucket

I really hope this doesn't come off as rude, (I'm like a Sim with the Socially Awkward trait) but I think you really need to use Create a Pattern on your furniture. I think the house is really lovely and the placing but using CAP on the furniture would improve the house HUGELY.
  • LORILYELORILYE Posts: 48 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Here is a sneak peak at my Venus Mansion which is done but I am not ready to submit it yet because I am still working on the story progression of the characters. I started Victor and Venus as teenagers. By the time I am done they will grow up, get married and move into the mansion. It cost me 254,888 to build so far.
    http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/rubyinightingale/slideshow/Sneak Peak Venus

The teen years of Venus and Victor so far. http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/rubyinightingale/slideshow/Teen years of Venus and Victor

I tried to upload the mansion and even though the only cc it has is patterns it would not upload. Hopefully by the time the family is ready to put in it and I am ready to submit it that problem will be resolved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top