Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, I didn't wait until the very last minute to finally CASt my summer house.
    It's here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9131804

And the layout looks like this:
    screenshot_original.jpg

It was one simolean under budget and located at 29 Paradise Circle in Sunlit Tides.

I did it on my mac laptop while on vacation, so only base game, some stuff pack, and store stuff.

I don't have the UIC on my laptop and I can't upload pics from my mac to image hosting sites, so I can only upload to the media section of my studio, which no one else can see and then copy and paste the link address from there.

I enjoyed seeing everyone's builds and hope a few more arrive by the end of the month.

Texas homes tend to sprawl out and you want to maximize the "cool" so whitish walls and roof (as passive reflective to reduce heat), yet lots of big windows to enjoy the natural light and view of the water.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ciane ooh beautiful :)
    @djsdragongirl That's a very pretty home! It's a lovely dream of yours, I have always loved building my 'dream homes' and seeing how they actually play out.
  • djsdragongirldjsdragongirl Posts: 843 Member
    @djsdragongirl That's a very pretty home! It's a lovely dream of yours, I have always loved building my 'dream homes' and seeing how they actually play out.

That is what I love to do as well. My problem is I fill it up fast with my family that loves to do things without me knowing, so I'll come back to my game and have 3 or more new children...lol
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited August 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #193: Solstice Designer Showdown

NAME: aricarai

LINK TO LOT: The Artisan

36068919384_842902459d_z.jpg

LINK TO MEDIA: The Artisan

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 placed in Moonlight Falls, §83,006

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS:

Leaves falling from trees, Thanksgiving, family gatherings, football season, scarves, rain, hot chocolate with marshmallows, warmth, AUTUMN. Towards the end of August, I begin to see my favorite season appearing and it gives me major feels. There's nothing I love more than being curled up with a book in front of a fireplace, listening to the rain fall outside. It's very comforting to me. August is my Autumn so I wanted to build a home that represented the comfort, coziness, and warmth of my most wonderful time of the year. To me, there's nothing more homey than a Craftsman family home.

When I first read the theme of this month's challenge, it was actually raining, which was perfect and brought a little smile to my face. Since I was born where it rains and I live where it rains; the Summer sun only peeking its head out a couple weeks of the year, I thought going back to my PNW roots would fit work well and I immediately started researching Craftsman style homes as they're found in abundance where I used to live.

The craftsmanship of a Craftsman is incredible to me and while I was building, I imagined that someone had actually put in the long hours to create the stunning millwork in the house. After finishing the home, they'd be able to proudly look at the fruits of their labor while surrounded by their family in front of the fireplace.

The color scheme for The Artisan is earthy and neutral tones (different shades of grey) and this was to allow for the woodwork to stand out throughout the build.

I hardly ever build family homes, so I'm super proud of The Artisan and I hope ya'll enjoy it! I also filmed the building process, so I hope it's okay if I come back and share the videos when they're finished (yes, videos - it'll be in three parts!)

Features:
    - 3 bedrooms
    - 2.5 bathrooms
    - 1 car side garage
    - Organically flowing semi open concept
    - Kitchen with island seating
    - Cozy dining area
    - Relaxing study
    - BBQ area
    - Art space under pergola
    - Small garden
    - Play area for children
    - Room for a meow meow

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:
    - Roof by QBuilderz [MTS]
    - Wood floor pattern [TSR]
    Post edited by aricarai on
    @aricarai beautiful!! And yes, our lovely PNW cannot be beat, but alas, we've set record days without rain this year! :( It has sprinkled only three times, not enough to really call rain, since about the end of June I think? Very warm, very very dry.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @aricarai beautiful!! And yes, our lovely PNW cannot be beat, but alas, we've set record days without rain this year! :( It has sprinkled only three times, not enough to really call rain, since about the end of June I think? Very warm, very very dry.

Thank you m'dear! I must have been thinking of the UK rain while dreaming of home. Being born where it rains (most of the the time) and living where it rains was good inspiration for this build! :mrgreen:
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Apologies for the slight delay. #BnS193 is now officially closed.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited September 2017
    Challenge #194 - The Hawthorne Project

“You can do this, you can do this.” You mutter under your breath as you walk up the steps to the mansion in front of you.  Ringing the bell, you wonder what will await you inside.

The door opens and a girl in an olde timey maids outfit stands in front of you.

“Uhm, I’m here to see Ms Hawthorne.” You manage to stammer.

The girl’s demeanour seems to soften slightly, you guess she’s seen many a person awestruck by the great house and it’s occupant, she opens the door further and ushers you into the foyer.  

“The Missus is expecting you.” She says in a Southern drawl.

You follow her up one side of a two sided grand staircase, and down a wide corridor, as she nears what you assume to be The Missus’ room, she slows her pace and looks at you quizzically.

“Now, you best do right by her, you hear?”  She speaks so softly, that you have to wonder if you imagined it, but she looks at you expectantly, so you nod.

Three succinct knocks on the closed door, and you hear The Missus say, “Enter.” The voice sounds strong and full of life.

The maid opens the door and stands to one side, and you are quite taken aback by the sight in front of you.

An elderly lady, and she is most definitely a lady, is sitting up in a sleigh style bed, she is attached to an array of medical equipment, and you hear the beeps from the heart rate monitor. But her frame is slight, and you wonder if the breeze from the open windows is likely to just blow her away.  

“Ah, thank you so much for agreeing to the home visit, as you can see, it would have been difficult for me to come to your office.”

“Of course.” You say, thinking that this is a slight understatement.

“I understand that you wish to make a bequest to the community.  But I am unsure as to how I fit in.” You start.  Ms Hawthorne gestures to the seat by her bed and you sit obediently.

“That is correct, this community has been the rock on which I have weathered many a storm, both publicly, professionally and personally.  I merely want to give something back, and I believe that you are exactly the right person for the job.”

She coughs, and the spasms that follow rack her frail body make you want to wince, but Ms Hawthorne keeps her composure, so you don’t allow the sadness and compassion you feel towards her show.  She seems to approve and when she regains her breath she adds;

“I don’t know how much you know about my history, probably only what you remember from your grandmother’s stories of a giddy young girl who only ever wished to be famous. I remember your great grandmother, such a principled woman.  She always used to cross the street whenever she saw me, to the opposite side of course. She couldn’t bear the thought of my loose morals rubbing off on your grandmother.  Your great grandmother would have beaten poor Annmarie senseless had she known that we were great friends.”

She coughs again and gestures to a jug of water just out of her reach. You stand, pour a glass of water into a cut glass tumbler and hand it to her.  She keeps your hand on the tumbler to steady it as she sips.

When she finishes, she gestures once more to the chair and you settle back, finding yourself being drawn into the story she tells you of the teenage pregnancy and child born out of wedlock, which back in the early 1920’s was a cardinal sin.  She talks about your grandmother fondly and then goes on to regale you with tales of Starlight Shores in it’s heyday, her experiences trying to make it big and her rise to fame as the Heroine in Gone With The Sims.

Another coughing fit ensues and you pass her her tumbler, ensuring to keep hold of it this time and steady it for her as she drinks.

“And now, the reason for your visit. I wish to commission a number of homes. Homes for souls who are less fortunate than myself, I often find myself wondering what would have become of me, had things not turned out the way they have. So, I wish to home Simlandia’s unfortunates. You will have free reign over all the design details but I do have to set a budget for the homes. Every six months, you will be sent the details of the person or persons who are to benefit from the Hawthorne Legacy and your task is to make them somewhere that they can call home. A base from which they can improve their lives. I must insist that you include a number of items in each home to help them improve their lot in life. A computer, a garden, a chess table, an easel, at least one musical instrument and a piece of fitness equipment and a fully stocked bookcase.”

You note the must haves on your tablet and are about to ask about budget when Ms Hawthorne resumes speaking.

“Each legacy will have the same amount of simoleons for you to build their home, single legacies will have less than couples, who will in turn have less than families. A dwelling for a single Sim should cost no more than $30,000.  A dwelling for a two Sims, whether a single parent with one child, or a couple, should cost no more than $35,000. A dwelling for three Sims should cost no more than $40,000. A home for four or more Sims should cost no more than $45,000.”

You type like mad, trying to get all the details committed to your tablet’s memory.  

“I am not much longer for this world, I have but one regret, that I never told your Grandmother how I felt about her. Of course, it would have ruined her life as well as mine, had I been honest with her. But I feel that with your help, I can at least try and bridge the gap between our two families.”

Ms Hawthorne reaches for the bell on her bedside table and the tinkle brings the maid back to the room.

“Please show our guest out.”

Looking at you, she continues, “The Hawthorne Legacy administration will be in touch shortly with details of your first legacy client.  Do take care of yourself, won’t you?” She asks with real emotion. In fact, if you are not mistaken, you think you see a tear trickle down her cheek.  She brushes it away as the maid closes the door softly behind her.

You can’t help but ruminate on the task that has just been dropped on you as you make your way slowly and carefully back to the office.  Rose is seated at her desk as you enter the reception area, and you check that there is nothing new that has come in while you were out, you smile and make small talk when your phone pings, notifying you of an incoming email.  You glance down at it and smile as you see that it is from the Hawthorne Legacy.

“Thank you for accepting the commission from the wonderful Ms Hawthorne, please find below the details of your first legacy client.  

Hi, my name is Randy Davies. My wife Jacqueline and I applied to the Hawthorne Legacy after our home was destroyed by a flash flood.  We lost everything.  We have been staying with relatives with our son Hamish and daughter Piper, and when we heard that we would be the ‘test case’ for the new project, we were thrilled.  They said that I should let you know a bit about ourselves. I am a painter, I paint portraits mainly, but I haven’t had a commission in what feels like forever.  My wife stay is a stay at home Mom looking after our children, she is pitching in around my sister in laws place at the moment, you know, cooking and cleaning for room and board, while I work as a mailroom technician.  Hamish is 14, he is being amazing about the situation, but it’s very crowded her and I can tell he longs for his own space, he’s such a perfectionist that the jumble that we are living in at present is really hard on him. Piper is 6, she is such a little firecracker, always on the go. She’s more than happy being surrounded by people, so sociable and outgoing.  Well, that’s my little family in a nutshell. We are really looking forward to having a place of our own again. Thank you for taking us on!

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.  We look forward to working with you now and in the future.”

Brief:
    A 3 or 4 bedroom home, you have free reign on how the house is built, landscaped, laid out etc.
    Must include:  a computer, a vegetable garden, a chess table, an easel, at least one musical instrument, at least one piece of fitness equipment and a bookcase.
    The budget must not exceed $45,000.

Sim Challenge:

Create the Davies’, you have been given some information use it to choose their Life Time Wants and traits.

Deadline: Saturday, September 30th, 2017, Midnight EST
    GArBA5W.jpg
    The Hawthorne Project sounds like a load of fun and a great challenge. :wink: sounds like something I could get into. Count me in :smiley:
    Is there an ETA on when winners will be announced for #193? Just curious, I know many are away because of the hurricane on the east and the fires in the west
    I found a house I liked. I've spent over half the budget already and haven't even added wallpaper or furnishings yet.
    ciane wrote: »
    I found a house I liked. I've spent over half the budget already and haven't even added wallpaper or furnishings yet.

lol yeah, I feel ya. I built the house I really wanted to build with over 75% of the budget, then spent the rest of the time trying to figure out what I was willing to take away from the shell so I could actually furnish it! there were some painful losses there!
  • noisybrainnoisybrain Posts: 145 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi all! Sorry I've been away for so long! I've missed y'all. <3 It's been over a year since I have participated in BnS. I had a sweet beautiful baby boy last august and he and his older brother take all of my time! Everyone's builds are awesome, there's so much talent here! I am so happy we still have this challenge and people in the Sims3 community :smiley: So, I am done with the shell and and working on decor for The Hawthorne Project. I so look forward to seeing everyone's builds!
    Post edited by noisybrain on
    Congrats on the sweet baby boy @noisybrain. I've finished building and furnishing mine. I've the CASting yet to do.

The worst part was CFEing the garage and then needing to move the whole house one tile. Then, I went smaller again with the design and had to move the garage yet again.
    Hi all, we are busy behind the scenes working away to get the results for #193, hang in there.

Lovely to hear from you @noisybrain, sounds like you have more than enough to keep you busy IRL!! But we look forward to seeing what you come up with for The Hawthorne Project :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited September 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #194 - The Hawthorne Project

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not yet uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Stonetroll Keep

2-exterior-2.jpg

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 25x25 lot custom placed in Dragon Valley, $44,968

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Stonetroll Keep rests in the low hills of Dragon Valley, once abandoned but now restored and filled with life once again! The keep offers plenty of room for this growing family to continue to grow, with nooks and niches to fill as their needs grow and their means prosper.

There is an easel for Randy so he can start working on commissions again (though from the looks of things, there may be a reason he hasn't gotten many requests for portraits ;) ). The kitchens are spacious and will no doubt soon be filled with appliances and cabinets for Jacqueline to process the fruits of her garden and create those delicious dishes she and her family love!

Each child has a small, curtained room with bed, and a larger area for play, study, or skill items. When Piper isn't playing with her toys or blocks, she can be found doing battle with the fierce topiary dragon in the yard and rescuing the stone troll who lives on the other side of the keep.

Hamish tends to keep more to himself, but does love his music. He also takes after his father a bit with art, sketching instead of paining.

There is a telescope on the roof for observing the heavens, a training dummy in the cellar to practice martial arts, and a computer in the private study - perhaps now that the kids are getting older Jacqueline can finally start on that novel?

The main doors lead to a small vestibule, off of which opens the great hall, the stairs to the kitchens, and a small guest lavatory.

The great hall's defining feature is the grand fireplace at the far end behind the high table. One window bay offers a place for private conversation, the other a chess table, leaving room to continue to grow, and of course dance! There is also a small treasure room to one side. On the other side are the stairs leading to the upper levels.

The mezzanine floor offers two galleries overlooking the great hall, one containing two bookshelves and a quiet reading room, the other connects the childrens' suites to the shared bath.

Going up again brings you to the master suite rooms which occupy the entire top floor. Another grand fireplace warms the bedroom, and arches lead to the private study and the dressing room which has separate facilities for bath and lavatory.

One more set of stairs leads to the roof, with full access to all four ramparts. Perhaps ladders can be added in future to access the tower rooves as well!

Going all the way down to the kitchens reveals the final grand fireplace, this time for cooking. There are niches for pantry and storage, a cellar area for the well, and here is the training dummy. Future additions can be added by way of basements where sculpting, nectary, or even a dungeon if one is needed!

Best of all, this castle is guaranteed to stay high and dry in the hills of Dragon Valley. No more floods!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    edited September 2017
    sorry posted here in error
    Post edited by FoundMarbles on
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    @creativemetaphor - great idea to use foundation walls all the way up. It works well for a castle. I like how you fit in baths and beds in small spaces.
    @ciane Thanks! I think I'll use that technique more often, it really is a cost saver! It was very fun to tuck little things into those small spaces :)
    edited September 2017
    ATTENTION BEGINNER ENTRANTS TO #193 - SOLSTICE DEIGNER SHOWDOWN

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS TO #193 - SOLSTICE DEIGNER SHOWDOWN

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    This is where I ended up:
    roof_up_original.jpg

Download here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9142086

House pics are found here: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/house
    And you can find the inspiration pic and floor plans here: https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/inspired (under the boat inspiration pics)

I really do hope we see more homes this last week.
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Lovely home @ciane <3

Me too!! Would live to see more people enter.....
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top