Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker I meant put stairs from the foundation to the "second" floor, and then a straight set of stairs from the ground to the foundation - and then yes, MOO the tree into place. Then the stair would not have the base of the tree interfering with routing. Which is why it was too late for me to do it, I would have needed to place the foundation before I placed the floor above to get the height right between the two.
    @BuildnShare The 'story' has a billiard room listed as a requirement but the brief does not - was it overlooked? (and darnit, now I need to modify my design!)
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited May 2017
    I finished my Clue build. :smiley:
    It's here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9083602
    It's completely base game, so there is no grand piano (or any piano) in the ball room and there is no billiard table in the billiard room either. (The base game only offered a foosball table.) Also, I mentioned that I had added only two SINGLE beds, but I did put in double beds in the other bedrooms. (They really wouldn't seem like bedrooms without them.)
    It looks like this:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    And the main floor is laid out this way:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @ciane :lol: You really recreated the game board perfectly!! I'm having to redesign to fit the billiard room back in, which kills the beautiful symmetry I had going on. It'll be close but not quite.
    Okay, so I salvaged my second floor, did an almost complete redesign on the main floor to get it symmetrical again. Unfortunately I lost the powder room in the process, but since that wasn't a requirement I won't worry about it. Got the entire shell done, wall and floor coverings, most of the windows and doors, and all those fireplaces! Even placed some of the larger objects in their respective rooms. Still have quite a lot of budget left for actual decorating and landscaping so very happy with how this is turning out! Even figured out some creative ways to die in some of the rooms, but won't be actually killing any sims!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @ciane I love the game board floor plan! I love the game clue and you've nailed it- lol! It's great. I doubt I'll have anything to post until later in the month but I can't wait til I have time to get started.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    I've spent the morning working on this, and I ended up scrapping the first build that I had spent about 5 or 6 hours on. I had placed it on a 60x60 lot because I had wanted to make the rooms proportional to the rooms in the board game along with all the hallways, but it became overwhelming. The rooms felt too BIG for me to want to work with.

I've restarted it on a 50x50 lot, and it's a lot less overwhelming. I still might want to move it to a smaller lot; I'm not really used to making large builds.

I'm glad we're not required to put fireplaces in the conservatory and kitchen, because I've done this with them:
    othvyd.jpg
    Fireplaces don't work very well with those greenhouse roof pieces. I just HAD to use them for this. I'm still keeping the rooms relatively proportional to the board game, I'm just not bothering with all the hallway spaces.

Btw, the reason I was thinking of more rooms, there WAS a later version that came out called Clue Master Detective. That had several additional rooms: Carriage House, Courtyard, Gazebo, and Fountain. They replaced the Ballroom with a Trophy Room. Instead of feeling Victorian, I think the house was based on a 1920s theme. At the time (I was a teenager), I had no idea about that; we just played it because it was more complex, and we had gotten to the point where the original game was simply too easy for us. (There were also a few more characters and more options for murder in Master Detective.)

When the movie came out, it was based on the original version of the game. I don't think the writers wanted to worry about the additional characters. I believe there were a few references to some of the newer things, but I don't remember if it was the murder weapons or some of the rooms.
  • tiffanator1988tiffanator1988 Posts: 4 New Member
    So sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this challenge only for TS3, or can I join with TS4 builds?
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    So sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this challenge only for TS3, or can I join with TS4 builds?

@tiffanator1988 - You'll find the TS4 Challenges in the Creative Corner section of TS4 under TS4 Lots. They're on different challenges than TS3 but the challenges are still as awesome!
  • tiffanator1988tiffanator1988 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @aricarai said:
    > tiffanator1988 wrote: »
    >
    > So sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this challenge only for TS3, or can I join with TS4 builds?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @tiffanator1988 - You'll find the TS4 Challenges in the Creative Corner section of TS4 under TS4 Lots. They're on different challenges than TS3 but the challenges are still as awesome!

Thank you!
    edited May 2017
    He clears his throat and resumes reading. "Upstairs there are to be no less than 6 bedrooms with adjoining bathrooms, to be outfitted accordingly. However there is to be only 1 single bed in 2 of the rooms."
    Since the point of having only two beds is to make it so Sims can't fulfill those needs easily, should we also limit sofas? I was putting quite a number of them in, then remembered that Sims can nap in them. So I'm wondering if we should limit those as well.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @BuildnShare The 'story' has a billiard room listed as a requirement but the brief does not - was it overlooked? (and darnit, now I need to modify my design!)
    @creativemetaphor - yes the build does require a Billiards Room, apologies that it was not listed under the brief, this has now been fixed.

Hello there @tiffanator1988 and welcome to BuildnShare, you can find the TS4 challenge here.

He clears his throat and resumes reading. "Upstairs there are to be no less than 6 bedrooms with adjoining bathrooms, to be outfitted accordingly. However there is to be only 1 single bed in 2 of the rooms."
    Since the point of having only two beds is to make it so Sims can't fulfill those needs easily, should we also limit sofas? I was putting quite a number of them in, then remembered that Sims can nap in them. So I'm wondering if we should limit those as well.
    @MiaSkywalker - sofa's and couches are fine, after all, I know how groggy I feel after falling asleep for just a couple of hours on the sofa ;)

GArBA5W.jpg
    @buildnshare It is a little frustrating that the rules prohibit using a murphy bed as a means of potential death lol
    Yes, but jelly bean bushes and cowplants can be added to the conservatory (just in case the pool fails to work fast enough). :wink:
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

Jelly bean bushes kill sims? O my, amazing that I still learn something new. Thanks for sharing @ciane :smiley:
    @ciane I don't have either, unfortunately.
    edited May 2017
    Well, you already have a pool in the conservatory, a stove in the kitchen, and a FP in every other room; so, you got the basics covered. :dizzy:
    @ciane I also have electronics to electrocute yourself and a vending machine to shake :mrgreen: As well as some (alas, harmless) references to the weapons from the game.

I actually ended up entirely scrapping my first build and started over with a plan I am *much* happier with! I also added the secret passages between rooms (but they aren't accessible so Sims can't escape their fates that way).
    Oh my goodness, well thanks to @JasonAnthonySterling I know have the cow plant!!! Thank you yet again for your generosity!!
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    @creativemetaphor You're welcome. I'm glad to clear out some of the points. I'm planning on using the cow plant in my conservatory as well- A HUNGRY ONE! I really can't wait to get a chance at this challenge! I'm glad I have til the end of the month. This coming weekend I'm going to the country for three days for Mother's Day. I don't have anything but phone based internet BUT I have my computer and it's SIMS 3 ALL DAY EVERY DAY- LOL!
    @ciane I don't have either, unfortunately.

The jelly bean bush is from Supernatural. See? One more reason you MUST get that expansion! :lol:

Actually, I never place the jelly bean bush on a lot, for precisely that reason. There are several random jelly beans your Sim can pick, and no matter which one he/she picks, the Sim will *always* eat it immediately. Since one of those beans can kill you... I never risk my Sims.

For this challenge, it is a good optional death. I will probably place it in several rooms, because if a Sim is hungry, s/he may autonomously pick a jellybean.

I don't know about the cow plant, though. I didn't leave enough room in my conservatory after getting the pool in, and cow plants die quickly if they aren't fed. I always feel bad for the cow plant.
    Oh my goodness, well thanks to @JasonAnthonySterling I know have the cow plant!!! Thank you yet again for your generosity!!
    Check and see what your CYS is on the sets that the cow plant is part of. If any of those sets comes up on the DD, you might end up with a green download button.
    edited May 2017
    @ciane I also have electronics to electrocute yourself and a vending machine to shake :mrgreen: As well as some (alas, harmless) references to the weapons from the game.

I actually ended up entirely scrapping my first build and started over with a plan I am *much* happier with! I also added the secret passages between rooms (but they aren't accessible so Sims can't escape their fates that way).
    I scrapped my first two builds, too. I started with a 60x60, attempting to get it exactly proportional, including corridors. Some of the rooms (like the kitchen) were so large I felt overwhelmed, particularly since low end appliances means no baking oven or pizza oven. I restarted with a 50x50, still attempting for proportion, sans the corridors. The kitchen was STILL too large and overwhelming.

I'm doing it on a 40x40 lot, and although I'm doing close to proportional, instead I'm making both the dining room and kitchen much smaller. I moved the billiard room to the other side (where the dining room had been), and kind of scrunched the dining room and kitchen together, making them adjoining. (Each one still has its own room to the hallway, as I know that's a requirement.) That way I didn't feel as overwhelmed by the kitchen and dining room as I had been, and they are now each a reasonable size. :)

I'm still using the greenhouse roof pieces over the conservatory and kitchen, although now it's over the conservatory, kitchen, and dining room, and over the entry hall. And of course, I'm still using the skylight pieces over the ballroom. Although the configuration of them changed slightly, the idea of using them didn't!
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    @MiaSkywalker Definitely used the greenhouse pieces in the conservatory, and some skylights in the foyer. Just had room between the trees in the conservatory for Ms Cowplant - what does she eat besides Sims?
    So let's see, Conservatory has pool and cowplant, kitchen has an oven prone to fire and a dishwasher next to a sink that should spring a leak and then Sim can tinker in a puddle and get electrocuted, Study has a telescope on the veranda in hopes of a meteor strike, the Billiard Rm has a vending machine next to the bar to shake, Library has a sarcophagus which might produce a mummy, and most other rooms have either an electronic item to tinker with or the low-end fireplaces to get set on fire.

Sneak peak of my mansion and the, ehem, 'guests'. Still tweaking the design a tad, and just realized I can add the megaphone for the 'rant about death' death option! So many ways to die...

Get burnt by the stove, Tove
    Rant about Death, Beth
    Shocked by the TV, Lee
    Get a mummy's curse

Shake a vending machine, Jean
    Or eat a jelly bean!
    Get ate by a plant, Grant
    And it just gets worse

There are 50 ways to kill your Simmers..

Morte Mansion
    Screenshot-2_zpsvyur20di.jpg
    Screenshot-5_zps8vdifgp3.jpg
    Screenshot-4_zpsx3edhzey.jpg

The 'Players'
    Senator Scarlet
    SenatorScarlet_zpsyadurfex.jpg

Mrs. Mullberry
    MrsMullberry_zps6my380ds.jpg

Professor Pea... hen?
    ProfessorPeacock_zpsm7bs4bsk.jpg

General Green