Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited March 2019
    ciane wrote: »
    So, build a lot for 8.000 that has a footprint no larger than 10x10 with a REGULAR bed (can be single or double?) and a second sleeping item as well as some way to cook food and take care of bladder and hygiene while providing some way to skill (besides cooking). Then, copy the lot at least three times to have four different (in color and/or texture) versions of the same home. These versions are then placed around a communal garden and any other special touches that reflect the community and its location.

Sounds like a really fun adventure!

Four houses for a total of $8,000? I am not sure I want so much stress. I will try though :D

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @iampes23 - I took that to mean each house is 8,000 not all four. You build the first one for 8,000 and then duplicate that.
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    This is such a fun thread. I loved seeing the different creative ways you all had of making your 5x5s work and look great! Excited to check out the entries for the next challenge :)
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @iampes23 - I took that to mean each house is 8,000 not all four. You build the first one for 8,000 and then duplicate that.

I hope you are correct. Either way, I am out so far. My computer is down. :( Hopefully I can get it working before the end of the month.

Good luck everyone!! I also can't wait to see the new builds!
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited March 2019
    @iampes23 Sorry to hear about your computer! :( Hope it doesn't take long to get it up and running.

It simply HAS to be $8,000 for one house. I wasn't even sure one for $8,000 was possible :D although I surprised myself and did it. It's not very big, though. Also tried a layout of several, but I think I picked too large a lot and am not much liking it.
    Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I did the CFE cheat to make foundation the same height as walls and used the foundations in place of walls without windows, so that helped make the cost a bit more affordable. Then, of course, I used the free wall paper and flooring to help even more. I fit a lot in - all basic stuff - though I wouldn't say I have a cute factor; but I do have the functional aspect covered. :smiley:

I went with a 25x35 lot that I found in Sunlit Tides. I thought 25x25 was doable, but tight; and since we didn't have to worry about the land cost, I went with the extra bit.

I guessed that the community aspect didn't count in the budget of the individual homes as long as they weren't on the 10x10 spot allotted for each home. So, if you have four homes of 8k each and then add the cost of the land and the community garden, etc., you could end up with a pricey lot.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Took three attempts at vastly different designs but finally got one under budget!! *w00t*
  • ZinchtZincht Posts: 32 Member
    When you say 8000 for the build but not the cost of the lot, does that have to include the shrubbery?
    It includes the shrubbery, I believe for what is on that 10x10 area. The community gardens I don't think count in the price. So, shrubbery not in the immediate 10x10 area would be considered part of the community garden area (I think).
    edited March 2019
    Since I'm not sure I'll be able to finish the optional challenge, I'll throw this up now and edit later one way or the other.

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #212 - Settlement for Simanity
    NAME: creativemetaphor
    LINK TO LOT: pending
    LINK TO MEDIA: Subarctic Sanctuary
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above
    LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40x40 in Aurora Skies - replaced 45 Lupin Lane
    Build-only cost: $8,000 plus $3,200 for lot, total: $11,200
    Optional lot cost: honestly I lost track, I was upgrading the appliances so it was heavily depreciated. Probably still less than $50,000 though.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Inspired by Nordic living, this home promises a safe space that can be built quickly and cheaply in a subarctic environment. The exterior is a traditional black, while the interior uses light colors to help the space feel warm and welcoming. The lot is situated close to town to allow easy access to the library, school, town hall, and more, and to allow the residents to feel like they are truly part of the community.

The house utilizes a crossed A-frame style with open floor plan to reduce wall costs. It has a single bedroom that sleeps three and a half bath. A covered porch holds a stack of firewood, the mailbox, and the garbage can. The entire roof is covered with solar panels to generate all the power needed for the home, and a fireplace offers additional warmth (modlet!).

A number of skill items have been included. In addition to the stove (cooking), there is a bookshelf (various skill books), a radio and hacky-sack (athletic), a mirror (charisma), and sketch pad (artistic).

Some special touches include a custom name-plate near the mailbox, extra seating for having a friend over, a desk for homework, a chest to store items, and curtains on all windows for privacy.

Upgrades: the toilet and sink are unbreakable, the fireplace is fire proof, and the stove has improved meal quality. Fully play tested to ensure all items are usable.

Optional Challenge:

The other three houses on the lot are recolored to shades of red, yellow, and gray exterior so no one gets confused which house is theirs!

The other layouts offer a double bed + sleeping bag, two single beds, and a single with crib. The color schemes were altered for variety but aside from the beds they all contain the same items.

The lot offers each house its own corner with pleasant walkways and landscaping for a sense of privacy, an entry area for bikes, and a pleasantly situated pond. A common greenhouse and orchard gives the residents a means of supporting themselves and supplementing their diets with fresh vegetables. Family friendly areas include large playground, grills, picnic benches, a kitty pool, games, and sprinklers to play in.

There are lamps placed around the area and fences enclose all but the front of the lot to help keep it secure, and gates give access to the back of each house where the electrical boxes are.

Though their misfortunes left them in need, this lot will give them a chance to build a new life with new opportunities.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    screenshot.jpg

screenshot-11.jpg
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    Love the A-frame style and the use of that dragon valley roof piece!
    @ciane Thanks! The a-frame was the only design I could get under budget because there's a grand total of 5 walls in the whole build, all the rest are auto generated from the roof pieces. :lol:
    [quote="ciane;c-16986461"]It includes the shrubbery, I believe for what is on that 10x10 area. The community gardens I don't think count in the price. So, shrubbery not in the immediate 10x10 area would be considered part of the community garden area (I think).[/quote]

Thanks. That cuts down what I can do by a lot, but I'll still be giving it a go! I'll post an entry if I get anything under budget...
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

I'm doing mine just for fun again.

I did sort of the same thing @creativemetaphor did with the roofs being the majority of the build, except I went tropical B)

Each house comes in at around 7,980, give or take due to the skill items added. Each one has at least a bookcase, a sketch pad and the stove and fridge. There are other small skill items (football, baseball, flying disc) scattered throughout each house.

The community items include the garden with fruit trees, veggies and coffee plants. There is a bee box in the corner of the garden and a recycling bin. There is a community grill with picnic table, a community washing machine with clothesline and a small kids play area. Under the canopy is a domino table for the adults. On the beach there is a fire pit and couple of comfy lounge chairs.

33453623518_261a1f3964_z.jpg

More to see here --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157679240846458/with/46606110674/
    @Kgaff Beautiful colors!! Oh my gosh, I love that shade of green!
    Great idea to add a laundry @Kgaff! I love your tropical colors and those pretty A-frames.
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    Wow! I love everyone's builds so far! I am going to attempt this one (although tight budgets are my Achilles' heel :s ) but a quick question, does a set of bunk beds count as one bed or two? I am assuming two but I wanted to ask before hand.
  • chrispugmirechrispugmire Posts: 5 New Member
    Just wondering how long the wait period is to get judging results back? Not sure if I might have missed where they are or not, thanks! :D
    @chrispugmire *Usually* they have been judged by around a month at most, but I haven't seen any results in a few months. I don't think you missed anything. I think the last one that was judged was #208. This is the thread where the results can be found:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/279926/build-n-share-winners-circle-find-out-results-and-discuss-the-entries-here/p1
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Updated my entry with the optional challenge pictures! I ended up with a lazy day so I managed to finish it :)
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    @BuildnShare What is happening with the judging please? @suzses you're correct, they haven't been judged since #208 I don't have motivation to enter without the little competitive element, I'd rather spend the time playing and building for my in-game simmies
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
    I got something in just in budget, I'm not sure whether to submit under beginner or intermediate. I don't have a lot of store items, so some items you are all duscussing are unavailable for me. This will be my first competition.

Advice?
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    @Zincht I would look at the requirements for beginner and intermediate and decide which one you feel like fits you best. If you're not sure, go ahead and under-estimate your abilities. You can always move up the ranks later. Also, don't feel bad that you don't have store items. Use what you have! The best advice I can give is to have fun with it. B)
    Hi @Zincht. It's hard to decide what category to start in. If you've been doing some Sims 3 building in general (not competitions), probably intermediate would be good, but just do what you're most comfortable with.

I'm not sure what we were talking about, but you never need to worry about having store items for the challenges. Just use what you own.

Looking forward to seeing what you've built. :)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top