Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Something else I do to take pictures in live mode without moving in a sim is I use NRaas's Master Controller to open the lot while I have another lot in live mode. This allows me to turn on lights and take pictures as though I had a sim living there. It's important to remember to go back to Master Controller to close the lot after you're finished because if you leave a few lots around town open all the time, things will get laggy in your game.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    Quick question... how are you guys taking your screenshots? I have to be in live mode to use the tab option which means having a family moved in but then I get the very annoying green circle thingy reminding me where my active sim is (which i know thank you very much game because I ordered them to go there and then turned off free will lol) turning hideheadlineeffects on doesn't get rid of it either... Any advice please?

One solution I have used in the past is to have a household with a minimum of two sims in it. Buy the lot I am building as a second home and send one of the sims there so I can edit it and get live shots, but once the sim is there, make the second sim not on that lot the active sim, so it prevents almost all of the obtrusiveness of the active sim on the lot I am trying to screenshot.

If that didn't make sense let me describe it in a bit more detail.

My active household has two sims in it. They live on one lot.

Using a household funds cheat such as 'motherlode' give them enough funds to buy the lot I want to showcase.

Once I have purchased the second lot, I can send one of the sims to that lot. While my sim is on that lot everything acts properly in live mode - I can turn on or off lights, change their color or intensity, use 'tab' for better screenshots, etc.

If I do not want the active sim indicators showing up in those screenshots, while I am on the lot I am wanting to showcase, I make the sim which is not on that lot my active sim. That way I have the freedom to showcase the lot from live mode while keeping the sim more or less out of the way. I can also move the sim around to different floors or hidden among the landscaping to avoid getting shots directly of the sim on the lot.
    @Kesminlix Don't stress about it, there aren't any additional points for being done quick LOL I'm glad you liked my build, I was doing that instead of housework in the evenings. o:)

@equuest Yeah I probably skirted the spirit of the challenge a little with putting them in that basement, but I did use some of the items in the rest of the build.

@kgaff <3 Thank you! I was rather delighted when the inspiration to turn the bathroom into a greenhouse it! I'm *so glad* we were allowed to add windows and doors!!!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2018
    I just send the sims off lot and take all the pics I want. Or you could send them outside to take the pics inside and then send them inside to take the outside ones. If you have more than one sim, just make another sim active while you take a pic with the non-active one, as @creativemetaphor suggested. Otherwise, I do as @Kgaff mentioned for the outside and overlays. Then, I move in a sim and take pics while they stand outside.
    Just added an download link for my submission to entry above. I did upgrade appliances and electronics - stove to fireproof and everything else to unbreakable - and also added some nectar to the shelves.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Wow @suzses - I love what you've created! It's stunning and it has a nice cabin feel to it! That world is gorgeous too, I may have to have a closer look!

@creativemetaphor - The house is completely unrecognisable and I love it! What is that statue in the backyard? I don't think I've ever seen it before in game.
    @Lilypink79 - Just one more post and you'll make member status! Woot!
    edited November 2018
    aricarai wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor - The house is completely unrecognisable and I love it! What is that statue in the backyard? I don't think I've ever seen it before in game.

Thank you!!
    Not sure which statue you are referring to, so here's all three:

Draped Demise - store item cost 1500
    screenshot.jpg
    Gloria - World Adventures cost 1475
    screenshot-21.jpg
    Alexia full of hair - World Adventures cost 1500
    screenshot-3.jpg

All three are under Sculptures
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited November 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #208 - Fall Designer Showdown

NAME: Kgaff

LINK TO LOT: n/a

LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157703408084514/with/31975127638/

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a

LEVEL:intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 36x47, 53 Waterfall Way (across from Stoney Falls), Sunset Valley, 120,591

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: When I saw the furniture in the living room I knew I had to do a cabin. It only took a few seconds to decide that the lot across from Stoney Falls would be the perfect location. I would love to spend some time in a setting like this. There are autumn decorations scattered through out the lot.

The house sits to the forward left of the lot which left a bunch of empty space. I wanted to tie in the lake and falls so I created a small stream that trickles out of the hill and rocks at the back of the lot. It winds its way down the right side and disappears again into the rocks at the corner. I like to think it then ends up in the lake.

As well as the stream there is a path that wanders around the back and sides of the lot. There are a few surprises here, like berries to pick and a few fruit trees. A bench has been placed in a quiet shady nook near the stream.

Seating choices abound, lounge chairs in sun, comfy chairs on the front patio.

There is a gazebo for outdoor cooking with a patio heater for chill autumn evenings, a fire pit with a view of the falls, a horseshoe pit and a nice wood pile to keep those fires going.

I kept all the furniture in the house with the exception of the two floor lamps. I took those and hid them in the shrubbery along the walking path.

I changed all the windows and doors and added one door that leads to the gazebo. I also added the windows to the dormers.

I know I had a lot of money left over but I stopped because it would have just gotten way to cluttered.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes"

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)

31975125098_712e8ae789_c.jpg

@kgaff Oh that's brilliant! Love the cabin look (that is also one of my favorite lots! <3 ) and love some of your MOO object builds, like the tv/shelves in the bedroom. And that meandering stream is the perfect touch! This is fantastic!
    Oh, I love that @Kgaff . It works great as a cabin turned to the side. Love your varied dormer windows with the wreaths, and the landscaping is wonderful. Nice entertainment center, too, and a great idea to put it in the bedroom since that room is so large.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    What a gorgeous cabin @Kgaff!

@creativemetaphor - it was that first statue, I'd never seen it. Very cool though :mrgreen:
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member

NAME: Lilypink79

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jimgwQhGhmGd8Xkt5

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a (although I did create a family to live on the farm who make an appearance in the photo’s)

LEVEL: unsure? I’ll leave it for the judges to decide

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 40 x 50 – Oakleaf Farm, 202 Horseshoe Loop, Appaloosa Plains – 139,414k

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The home of retired, childless couple Nella and Stanley Mckinlee and their pets Conker the cob (horse), Scrappy the dog and Moggy the cat.

Including @suzses great idea to list where all the existing furniture is now located:

Wall lights: around the kitchen and entrance hallway
    Floor lamps: both in the dining room
    Overhead outdoor light: not moved
    Bed: not moved rooms
    Bedroom night stands: not moved rooms
    Bedroom table lamps: not moved rooms
    Dresser: not moved rooms
    Bedroom mirror: in the bathroom
    Couch and coffee table: not moved rooms
    Living room chairs: not moved rooms
    End table from living room: in the allotment
    Dining table and chairs: in the dining room
    Phone: not moved rooms
    All bathroom fixtures: not moved rooms
    All kitchen fixtures/cabinets: not moved rooms
    Fire alarm: not moved rooms
    Bathroom rug: in porch area / by front door
    Decorative fern keeper: not moved rooms
    Small rubbish bin: in workshop

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: Straw bedding on the stable floor – Sasilia @ Simspiration

TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

(Don't think i'm able to add them yet as they're not showing up in in previews)

I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @Lilypink79 Congrats on member status Well Done!

I love your lot!! You sure got a ton of stuff in there and even made horses and dogs? And sims? WOW! Nice job. <3
    edited November 2018
    @Lilypink79 *squeal* wonderful! I love the entire thing, that's a fantastic barn-to-house remodel! I love that you made the dining room its own room. That little garden shed is adorable, and the barn and animals are perfect. Love how you did the garden, and the pond! So much to see!

Also, the picture thing may be google images - I've never gotten those to display. I have to host my pictures for the post on another site.
    Great jobs on both of those. I love the ideas you both took with cabin and stream or old converted barn and farm animals. Great job of landscaping too!
    @Lilypink79 Sweet farm. Pretty landscaping and terrain painting. Love your little garden shed, the vintage car, that you included your sims and their animals. I really enjoyed looking at it all.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I had way too much stuff on this lot. It was taking forever to render properly. So, I didn't bother to move it to a bigger lot in a different world. I actually like the monotone lot, so I wanted to keep part of original vibe, yet update it to have a more modern style. That was quite challenging with a lot of the older style furnishings. I did manage to hide some of the aspects I didn't care much about and I had a lot of fun putting in the skylights.

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9267255

roof_up_original.jpg

l0wd_original.jpg

There are a few more pics in the upload.
    Very nice contemporary redesign. I love the roof lines and windows, and the backyard is gorgeous. <3
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @ciane Oh I love those skylights! That's a beautiful modern house, I love the fall decor and that old truck! <3
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2018
    NAME: iampes23
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9267463#
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/Kjur3tV
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: n/a
    LEVEL: advanced
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Appaloosa Plains, 1005 Pomona Promenade, 50x50 $127,972 Black Gum Cottage
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I wanted to do things a little different from everyone else (hopefully). I decided to do a cottage, since most of the furniture (except in the bedroom) is a bit dated and has a cottage-y feel. The main colors inside the home are yellow and green, with pops of red. Dark wood and white wood were also used. Everything else is said in the commentary. :D

**please note that if you are downloading the lot, it may not be complete. The upload was 6.67mb but the download is showing 1.51mb. I have a feeling most of my patterns were removed. Also, after I added a sim to the lot, I had to fix the waterfall (multiple times), so the download does include a sim.**
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: my own patterns
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    Fc8ScEQ.jpg
    27Ld8K3.jpg
    Post edited by iampes23 on
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2018
    Just one more picture to share. This was a previous attempt in which the house was turned into a daycare and another house built on the lot for the family to live in. It is next door to the cottage, and you will see it in some of the pictures.
    pbIUFqn.jpg
    edited November 2018
    @iampes23 I love your cottage! The terrain paints are fantastic, the bridge and that stream are delightful, and I love that you added a waterfall! Where is the wall pattern in the living room from? I love it but I don't think I've ever seen that one before - or maybe you just recolored it spectacularly well!
  • wecantpickanamewecantpickaname Posts: 1,129 Member
    Nice layout, iampes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top