December 14 - Friday Highlight is ready! Click here to check it out!
November 20 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4 on PC/MAC. Patch notes here.

**Sims 3 - Build-n-Share Challenge #209 **'Twas the Month of December** Due 12/31/18**

Comments

  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 71 Member
    edited December 3
    ciane wrote: »
    Those are what you need to include, but you aren't limited to them @Lilypink79.

    I am really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

    I had a problem where I couldn't place a ladder, so I started all over again and couldn't place a fence. Then, I finally found out it was that tall barn door I'd MOO'd in that was in the way! I rebuilt my stables way too many times!

    I hope you are all having fun with what you are working on!

    Thanks Ciane :)

    Oh dear, sounds like you got yourself out of a sticky situation there. I haven't started to build yet. I very quickly created a rough Mr & Mrs Claus in cas, although i'm not happy with them so i'll probably start again. I have an idea in my head about the house but i've had that many issues with my game and pc over the weekend I haven't had chance to play around.

    I lost over 30gb of saved downloads (slightly ocd organized in categories, with supporting links and images) dating back to when TS3 was first released. Lesson learned... don't buy a cheap USB stick from ebay :'(
    I've got 99 problems and TS3 glitches are 98 of them
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 5,394 Member
    In case anyone is interested, the download link for Autumn Abode (BnS 208) has been added to my entry form. Feels really good to be able to upload again. :smiley:

    @Lilypink79 How upsetting that must have been! I haven't lost nearly that much, but have lost enough meaningful creations and can easily sympathize with you over this. Sorry you had to "learn this lesson" in such a way. :'(
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    edited December 3
    Lilypink79 wrote: »

    I lost over 30gb of saved downloads (slightly ocd organized in categories, with supporting links and images) dating back to when TS3 was first released. Lesson learned... don't buy a cheap USB stick from ebay :'(

    Very sorry to hear that as well. I used to keep all my CC on cds, just in case...until the burning software was taken away. I have stuff all the way back to Sims 1 on disc--now if I just had a computer that would still play Sims 1.


    I have a question for everyone--is anyone else finding the barn takes up a huge portion of the lot? Are you using the box stalls, and how many--or are you just building your own? I am on my third lot, but in each the barn seems to take the focus...

    The other problem is, there is no 40x30 lot in World Editor, so I cannot place a lot. There is a 40x40 though...any way we can bump up the dimensions of the lot slightly? errr...maybe this is not a complete necessity as I finally found a 30x40...
    Thanks!!!
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,106 Member
    @iampes23 - I built in Sunset Valley and it has empty 40x30 lots on the edge of town next to the 40x40 where the junkyard auto spawns.

    I built a small barn with 3x3 stalls figuring that was as small as a horse could move around in and reindeer are smaller than a horse, right? I also have two box stalls. I haven't gotten to the point of play testing yet, obviously; but you know horses will sleep anywhere they have space, so the box stalls aren't really necessary, just convenient, like beds for sims! ; } I also have the barn on the edge of the property so it only has a front really.

    @Lilypink79 - Ouch! I feel your pain. Multiple backups is always best. The cloud is a really nice secondary backup option. I'd be mourning for a week or so, if I were you. Hugs and hot chocolate!


  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    @iampes23 - I built in Sunset Valley and it has empty 40x30 lots on the edge of town next to the 40x40 where the junkyard auto spawns.

    I built a small barn with 3x3 stalls figuring that was as small as a horse could move around in and reindeer are smaller than a horse, right? I also have two box stalls. I haven't gotten to the point of play testing yet, obviously; but you know horses will sleep anywhere they have space, so the box stalls aren't really necessary, just convenient, like beds for sims! ; } I also have the barn on the edge of the property so it only has a front really.

    Thanks for the info. I think I have tried playing with the horses once, years ago now. But the 3x3 "custom" boxes sound better to me than those huge ones. I don't actually plan on play testing with a horse anyway. But I did want it to at least look big enough for them. My problem with the 40x30 lot was that the barn was to the side of the house and huge, so the house looked off. I am hoping (now that I found a 30x40) to put the barn behind the house so it does not draw the eye as much. And, yes, I had to delete a business to do it.

  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 71 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @Lilypink79 How upsetting that must have been! I haven't lost nearly that much, but have lost enough meaningful creations and can easily sympathize with you over this. Sorry you had to "learn this lesson" in such a way. :'(

    The CC I can replace 95% of it (even if it will take hours) but as you say, it's the meaningful creations. I made quite a few houses and sims that I won't be able to recreate again :(
    iampes23 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that as well. I used to keep all my CC on cds, just in case...until the burning software was taken away. I have stuff all the way back to Sims 1 on disc--now if I just had a computer that would still play Sims 1.


    I have a question for everyone--is anyone else finding the barn takes up a huge portion of the lot? Are you using the box stalls, and how many--or are you just building your own? I am on my third lot, but in each the barn seems to take the focus...

    The other problem is, there is no 40x30 lot in World Editor, so I cannot place a lot. There is a 40x40 though...any way we can bump up the dimensions of the lot slightly? errr...maybe this is not a complete necessity as I finally found a 30x40...
    Thanks!!!

    i'm going to buy some cds this week. I think if i dug out my old pc i'd have sims 2 stuff. My sims 1 stuff is long gone. I still remember the very first house I ever built though, it was very pink! :D

    I shrunk my barn down and made small custom stalls.

    I found 2 lots next to each other in Hidden Springs (been dying to play in there) one 40x30 and the other 30x40 - I can't see any difference haha
    ciane wrote: »
    @Lilypink79 - Ouch! I feel your pain. Multiple backups is always best. The cloud is a really nice secondary backup option. I'd be mourning for a week or so, if I were you. Hugs and hot chocolate!

    I'm laughing here as i'm actually drinking hot choc as I read your post Lol Hugs are always appreciated. I am definitely mourning (in a plummed off frustrated kind of way) I didn't even need to move my downloads as I have plenty of memory on my pc. Lesson learned haha


    I'm being very indecisive about this build. I know the layout of my lot (over half of the structures are built) it's just the decorating that I can't make my mind up on. I have 2 ideas and I don't know which to go with. I might just do both for fun, it'll keep me out of trouble. haha

    I've got 99 problems and TS3 glitches are 98 of them
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    edited December 6
    I need some opinions on this--do the windows on top blend in too well with the wall?

    kp9gRFN.jpg

    And, yay!!! not moving until next month now :D
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 1,455 Member
    @iampes23 I like the windows and think they pop right out there, at least in that picture. I do see that the siding and window colors are basically the same, but it works for me.
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    edited December 6
    suzses wrote: »
    @iampes23 I like the windows and think they pop right out there, at least in that picture. I do see that the siding and window colors are basically the same, but it works for me.

    Thanks! I wonder if I did the window outside trim in the redwood instead of the teak, do you think that might be better or too flashy?
    VUOHQMh.jpg

    So the redwood or the teak?
    Post edited by iampes23 on
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 1,455 Member
    @iampes23 Might work. Only way to tell is try it, yes?
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    Sorry. I added the pic late.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 1,455 Member
    @iampes23 Ah, I see the picture now. I like them both, but I think I like the first (teak) better. You might see something different when looking at the entire build, like in terms of overall balance.
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    @iampes23 Ah, I see the picture now. I like them both, but I think I like the first (teak) better. You might see something different when looking at the entire build, like in terms of overall balance.

    I like them both. :( Not sure what to do now...the rest of the house will have the teak ones. Anyone else, feel free to chime in :D

  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 71 Member
    @iampes23 I think both work nicely. If I had to chose i'd say the first set. I can't wait to see your finished design... it looks huge!
    I've got 99 problems and TS3 glitches are 98 of them
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    @iampes23 I think both work nicely. If I had to chose i'd say the first set. I can't wait to see your finished design... it looks huge!

    Lol My builds are always huge! Yes, I think you and Suzses are right--going with the teak :D Thanks very much for the help!!

  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,523 Member
    edited December 8
    Hi everyone. I've not been able to get on here much in the last three to four weeks. Wow what a whirlwind of activity we have had here at home. Finally all the visitors have now left, we had a grand good time, but it's nice to have some quiet time.

    Congrats to last month's winners, I thought all the builds were wonderful and so unique. Congrats @ciane for joining the team, I'm sure you will do a great job.

    I won't be able to finish this months challenge, more active activities for me coming up :# However I did create the family and fooled around with an idea.

    32361121528_f7e1cba9fc_o.jpg

    I was going to have the huge house as the centerpiece with the workshops and stables and such surrounding the drive with the tree. Sadly this is as far as I will get.
    32361116978_9c65fa330e_z.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 15,106 Member
    edited December 9
    It's awesome @Kgaff! love the big tree and the varied gables along with your window and texture and color choices. Nice mix of hedges too! Love your Santa Claus & family too!
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 213 Member
    When you have to demo half the dang house to place a staircase **just** right, then rebuild everything perfectly...and then the game crashes. Argh.

    But I really like that huge Christmas tree, @Kgaff !
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 427 Member
    @Kgaff I hope you do find some time to finish your build. I would love to see what you were building on the inside too :D
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 1,455 Member
    @paneinger Oh no, I feel your pain! Hope everything worked out OK when you reloaded your game (if you've had a chance).

    @Kgaff Both your home and household look festive and just great. Wouldn't it be nice if Santa gave you a present of more time to finish it. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top