Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♦ The Gifting Directory ♦ Happy 11th Anniversary!

Comments

• TamaekTamaek Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2016
    You're welcome @Xanthina.

I am also now having the problem with the ads. They play, I get the message that you click on "okay" and no points. Even with ads that I know were previously working. >.< I really wish they would fix this. It's like my furnace. 41 degrees at night and I informed my landlord on Sept. 30 that it wasn't working and it still isn't fixed. :rage:
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
  • XanthinaXanthina Posts: 86 Member
    And thank you to @equuest ! I am sorry I missed you in the last post. My toddler will have a perfectly bohemian toddle.
  • HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    Thank you @Jahnna for the gifts you sent me. Did I ever mention I love bears <3 ? I received 3 messages saying you send the bear clock to me and I love it :D The other items as well of course, it brightened my day as my mother is in hospital at the moment. She needs surgery for a kidneyproblem and has a infection but is also on blood thinning medication for thrombosis, meaning no doctor wants to do surgery right now. She already needed to check with the doctors regularly, but they decided it was a bad idea to go back home as she was getting weaker from medication. She will get the surgery but it may take a week or more.

Also, I told my boss last week that I want to quit my job. Something with having a burnout earlier this year and I just can't keep going anymore as it's is just unhealthy for me. So I also try to find a new job now. People think I'm stupid because I won't get any financial aid by quitting myself, but they don't seem to understand that health is more important than money. Or at least, that's my opinion!

Seriously, why do things always go weird all at the same time in life instead of one by one so you have a little more time to figure out what to do? :|
  • LoveandhateLoveandhate Posts: 553 Member
    Thank you to @Tamaek for my gift!
    Have a great, blessed day!
    Sims 3 store: ScarlettRing

• JahnnaJahnna Posts: 406 Member
    Is he for real?! lol

11d808a87b9b5748891d42d2e60acde7.png
    I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
    TheSims3.com: Jahnna
    edited October 2016
    @Jahnna Unfortunately I think he is. :confused: *sigh*

And you are welcome @Loveandhate.
    As of 12-18-16 I joined the Own The Store Club! Now I get to pay it forward! Thanks to everyone who helped me get here. You guys are amazing. ^_^ Love to you all!! <3

Looking to make the most of your Simpoints and maybe make some great friends along the way?

Check out the DD Rotation Thread for tips, tricks, tools and the whole DD rotation schedule.

Need a little help owning the store or want to help others? Head over to The Gifting Directory!
  • SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    Also, I told my boss last week that I want to quit my job. Something with having a burnout earlier this year and I just can't keep going anymore as it's is just unhealthy for me. So I also try to find a new job now. People think I'm plum because I won't get any financial aid by quitting myself, but they don't seem to understand that health is more important than money. Or at least, that's my opinion!

@Hoplass wow... I so understand you. Since I've been kicked from my studies everyone keeps pushing and pressuring me to go find a job. But I'm back at the worst of my depression, I simply can't! When I was still trying I got rejected for MacD's while they were looking for 20 new staff members and I was fulltime available, I cried for two whole days and it crushed me. Crazy what mental health can do huh... I used to be a strong person and now I cry over MacD's...

Only my psycholigist supports me in trying to find a good solution first because she understands I can't now.

Stay strong! Your health is indeed most important!
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
    Also, I told my boss last week that I want to quit my job. Something with having a burnout earlier this year and I just can't keep going anymore as it's is just unhealthy for me. So I also try to find a new job now. People think I'm plum because I won't get any financial aid by quitting myself, but they don't seem to understand that health is more important than money. Or at least, that's my opinion!

@Hoplass wow... I so understand you. Since I've been kicked from my studies everyone keeps pushing and pressuring me to go find a job. But I'm back at the worst of my depression, I simply can't! When I was still trying I got rejected for MacD's while they were looking for 20 new staff members and I was fulltime available, I cried for two whole days and it crushed me. Crazy what mental health can do huh... I used to be a strong person and now I cry over MacD's...

Only my psycholigist supports me in trying to find a good solution first because she understands I can't now.

Stay strong! Your health is indeed most important!

I'm impressed how similar this community is. During my 3-year A-Levels time at school I suffered from severe depression. I even refused to attend one exam because of my depression and anxiety but did all the other ones and I still obtained my A-Levels, even though I only ended up as average but I couldn't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 as I tortured myself for years to do this, while my father followed his lifetime philosophy: "Well, you could have done better" (even with bringing A-'s back home....).
    I quickly escaped my home country as I felt suffocated and trapped there and moved to the UK to live with my partner. The first time I felt free in my life after so many years. But my partner is definitely an extreme case when it comes to all of that. From as young as 5 years he has been suffering from severe social anxiety disorder as well as seasonal and clinical depression, resulting into a severe anger problem and personality problems (nothing bad for others). It has gone extreme though every since the age 23 and since then he has not been able to work ever again and receives Employment and Support Allowance as well as something called Severe Disability Premium, because his psychological conditions (anxiety, depression...) are so bad he's classed as disabled. And last summer he just got diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation, he might have had it all his life but now has to take anticoagulants.
    On top of that he has severe back problems, a thyroid disorder, acid-reflux-disease, stomach ulcers, arthritis in his hands, extreme ingrowing and spiralling toe nails and chronic nerve damage. His life is basically constantly at risk over something and because of all that he is trapped indoors and can't ever go out any more, he can't even take his dogs out and it's driving him mental. There's not one day passing where I don't hear him saying he's sick of his life.

So I can understand you all very well and I hope you'll find a way to not fall into such a deep pit.
    I own the store since March 4th, 2017! Thanks to everybody who has helped me achieve this!
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    It's funny, I didn't weigh in on the quality of mental health issue for fear of getting too heavy. Not so much now. :D

I grew up with severe depression which repeatedly interfered with my life plans financial and personal. Many times I left jobs because the stress became intolerable. I don't remember at what point I recognized that I was having emotional breakdowns. Probably not until my early 30s. I must have started doing something right because for a while I managed my life better. I still changed jobs when necessary, but didn't wait until I was a mess first.

I finally found a career that worked for me. Being a massage therapist meant a reasonable pace doing a job that I loved that actually fed my well being instead of sucking away at it. And it paid well. I even found the schooling comfortable. But I was in a car accident and had to take an office job again. And the spiral down began again. Even with my husband's support I eventually had to leave. By that time I'd had surgery and went back to massage, but the depression had taken hold.

I then got really sick and became disabled. I was housebound and suffered daily migraines. After six months I'd had it and tried to kill myself. Now the stuff I've left out, because no one else knew till now either. I'd been hearing someone else in my head since I was 10. He wasn't pleasant. I suffered horrible mood swings. I could be in the middle of having fun, say at a party with friends, and I would suddenly feel nothing at all. I couldn't handle the physical illness on top of all this.

I ended up in hospital, obviously. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Over the next couple of years I found the right combination of meds and psychiatric treatment to relieve most of my symptoms. It took quite a while to get over the trauma of all the pain I'd survived, but I can say that even that is going so well that it surprises me. (I live with bipolar disorder, pre-psychotic events [the voice, which is now silent!] and PTSD.)

Most of you are (all of you?) are younger than I am. I did not receive treatment for anything other than depression until I was 46. I am on disability because of my physical problems, but am confident that I could go back to any reasonable job and manage the stress in a healthy way, or be able to move to something else without having a melt down. But whether or not that is true, I have a level of peace in my life I never would have believed possible.

My point is that it can happen. AND, if you are in treatment, make sure you tell them everything that is going on in your head and your life so that they can help you as much as possible. I was in therapy most of my life, but never told them about the voice or the times when my emotions just shut off because I didn't want them to think I was crazy. If I had I would have received more appropriate treatment. The meds I took for the depression might actually have been making my bipolar symptoms worse.

*whew* Another long post, but I wanted to share it all in case it might help any of you.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    Wow @Hoplass, @SjappielovePaul, @JoeJude16 and @Jahnna. Thank you all for sharing. It actually does help.

I'm being treated for anxiety and depression myself and my husband finally broke down and told me that he wants to talk to a doctor about the same things. Life is just really hard right now. And my sister's problems aren't helping. I know that sounds selfish because she is going through a lot. And I've been with her the whole time and I'm trying to help her as best I can without crowding her or making her feel like a little kid and she gets that. But anytime anything really gets to her (and she suffers from depression, anxiety and other mental health issues so that is rather often) she attacks me. She did so just a few minutes ago. She lost something very important to her and when I tried to help her look for it she accused me of thinking she is stupid and assuming that she wouldn't have already searched some of the places that I had suggested looking. And she didn't just say it, she screamed it. And the funny thing is that I'm not really mad at her for it, just hurt that she always assumes that I think the worst of her. I think that is how she sees herself and so she projects it onto me. She accuses me often of things that I don't do, like tell her she's lying when we have a disagreement. I've asked my dad and my husband if I really do those things and if I'm just not realizing it but they both said no. When she's having a good day she even admits that sometimes she's paranoid and suspects that she's projecting.

I just wish she could get in to see a doctor now that we have a diagnosis but none of the doctors around here want to take her insurance and we can't afford to pay out of pocket. Which is making everything worse. I can't help her anymore than I am, and I've backed off some because the doctor told us that it would be okay if I did and it would make her seizures better because they aren't epilepsy. To be honest I'm trying to do everything the doctors say because I want her to get better and I'm frustrated right there with her when she hits these roadblocks. I'm just tired of every time she hits one she lashes out at me over it. And she only lashes out at me. She can plainly tell me she's 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at someone else and then she'll attack me. I don't really know what to do anymore. I can't take much more but I'm not going to abandon her. She's my best friend, not just my sister, and right now she doesn't have many friends. Turns out that when you start to have real problems people you thought you could count on let you down.

Sorry for ranting. She just really upset me this time. Anyway it really does help to know that we aren't alone and that it can get better. That's good advice @JoeJude16, telling the truth, even if it is ugly or scary. You can't get the right help if your doctors don't know what they are treating. My sister keeps telling me that she thinks my mom is expecting her to share what happens in therapy with her. I told her she didn't have to talk to anyone but her therapist and that she should tell the doctor that she feels that way but she still feels guilty. She worries about everything to a point that she's making herself sick over it.

I have a sort of personal question for those of you that have seen a mental health professional: Was it hard to find one that could help you? I mean one that you trusted? With so few doctors willing to take her insurance my sister is worried that she won't be able to find one that can help her and her condition is often misunderstood even in the field of psychology, or so she has read.

Thanks guys. *hugs* to everyone. And @Hoplass you do what you need to do to stay healthy.

I feel kind of relieved to know there's people who understand me :dizzy: I think that's what I miss most, people who understand, people who support.

But at the same time I feel horrible to know so many people suffer from it, it's so sad! And the worst is there's also so many who are afraid to talk about it because there's so little understanding of it.

Stay strong all, we can do it :)
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • OpicanaOpicana Posts: 379 Member
    Whew! So, I feel so out of the loop. This past weekend I hosted an event (it was like a mini gaming convention with just my friends) that was a well-organized, planned out thing with a couple dozen people from all over the country. Since I was the host, and in a different state than the event, I had lots of preparing to do last week and then spent all day Friday traveling, Saturday at the event, Sunday visiting family, and Monday traveling again. And then yesterday was catching up day! We also adopted a stray cat that's been living on our porch. Chaos! No Simming or spending points for more than a week! Ready to get back to things though.

Catching up on this thread first.
    Tamaek wrote: »
    Okay so we're finally back home. What a crazy weekend but we have the things we wanted. My sister now has a diagnosis, a treatment plan (still evolving to suit her personal case as it goes but we have a baseline anyway), and a good prognosis. The doctor has promised that he believes that with time and work she can have her life back, she should even get to start painting again in the not so distant future. Best news we could have asked for, all things considered. ^_^

So happy to hear about your sister's prognosis @Tamaek!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their health issues! I had a really rough year last year that broke my normal happy personality. My heart rate landed me at the doctors, and I'm being treated for anxiety (which I knew I had, I just didn't realize how bad it was) and depression (which I didn't know I had until I started being treated and am feeling better already). I'm supposed to start Cognitive Behavioral Therapy soon to learn how to deal with stress so it doesn't affect my physical health.
  • LoveandhateLoveandhate Posts: 553 Member
    We all seem to be dealing with the same issues, depression or anxiety. I have been diagnosed as depressed, not so much with the anxiety, but I know I have it. I'm glad you are all so open with your health issues, it really does make it easier to talk, and know that someone is going through the same things. Mine doesn't seem to impair me as some of you, but it is always still a struggle. We can all make it through, and must do what we need to keep ourselves sane and healthy.
    Have a great, blessed day!
    Sims 3 store: ScarlettRing

Wow this is cool and interesting. I'm so glad I found this community. Turns out we have a lot more in common than just an addiction to the Sims 3. It's nice to find that kind of support and camaraderie. And I know we can get through this, we just can't give up. Thanks for being there, listening and for making me feel like I'm not crazy or losing it.

It's funny that we're kind of like a support group and a bunch of addiction enablers all at once. One big mental and emotional support, Sims 3 addiction enabling group. I love it! <3:blush:<3

• HoplassHoplass Posts: 369 Member
    I've suffered some depressive symptoms during university and I found it really hard to talk to a mental health professional back then. I did not feel like I was taken seriously. She said to me that I was young and just needed my butt kicked and stop whining. So I never went back.
    After completing my university degree it took me quite some time to find a job, man have I cried over all rejections I got. Got another one yesterday and I cried too. Totally feel you @SjappielovePaul

After my burnout I had some talks with another mental health professional and that has been a real help in realizing that it was not my fault as I worked very hard to make this job work for me and my boss. Only after talking to that last professional I realized what I had to do as I had been in the situation so long that I could not see clearly anymore. I will make decisions that are difficult but necessary and quitting my job is just one of them. I don't regret it!

I recognize your position @Tamaek as I have been in something similar by the sound of your story. I think having a click with a professional is really important! I think that click depends on what person you are comfortable with. Also for you, having people around you that listen to you are important, even if you need to tell the same story 6 times to get it off your chest. When I got screamed at, I would walk away or ignore it as responding or explaining didn't work or end argument. Your sister needs to get some things fixed and some things you cannot do for her. I found that the threshold for getting help can be really high, but can really make a difference as I'm never screamed at any more. Sometimes a small argument but that happens and is totally fine. Hope your sister will feel better soon!

I often feel like many people are just pretending everything in life is going great and awesome all the time, as if you're not allowed to feel bad about things or have health issues. I'm glad we can all share our feelings here without anyone judging and hope everyone feels better after sharing. I know I do. Thanks for that. :)
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,696 Member
    @Tamaek, a couple of things. First, I have worked in the mental health field, so I do have some training and experience beyond my own personal story. I was a Peer Support Specialist for the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health and worked in a state hospital that provided both in and out patient services. I am not trained for clinical work, but I am trained in helping people seek and obtain the right treatment.

That being said, I am concerned that you are taking on too much with your sister. You can't fix her and you shouldn't be her punching bag when she gets frustrated. There are healthy ways for her to cope. You can't make her choose those healthy options, but you don't have to tolerate her bad choices that effect you. @Hoplass had it right about learning to walk away and set limits. Work with your own treatment team on your side of that. Including your coping skills for when it does happen, because chances are, now that the pattern is set, it will still happen, no matter how much either of you work at it. Old habits die hard.

As for finding the "right" professional, Hoplass had that right as well. It is often trial and error. I'm so sorry @Hoplass that your first experience was so rough. I really hate when that happens and puts someone off getting good help. I'm also glad you were able to move past it and try again. Many people don't.

I've been so blessed. I've been in therapy most of my life and have always just fallen in with the right therapist at the right time. Not always so with psychiatrists/prescribers. THAT took work. But I was frustrated for several years by a lack of options for my insurance in my area. Luckily I had good therapists to help me through those times.

I believe strongly that if someone has the capacity to do so then they should be the center of their treatment team. And it should be a team. Everyone should know what everyone else is doing. You should know what you are in treatment for. If you are on meds, know which ones and what they do. Ask your prescriber if the dose you are on is the most effective. You might need more, you might need less, or you might be fine where you are People get spooked so easily when their doctor tries to increase psych meds. A doctor may start someone on say 10 mg of something, then eventually bring it up to 100 mg. It isn't automatically too much just because it is so much higher, it might just be that that is what it takes. There is often a wide range between starting dose and maximum dose.

Finally, @Opicana, I LOVED CBT! It is great for breaking old unhealthy habits and replacing them with new healthy ones (or at least healthier, when I don't quite meet my goals.) But it definitely takes honesty, at least with yourself. If you get the option, take the training with a group. Just like we are finding here, there is strength in numbers. I found it much easier to admit certain problems that I needed to deal with when I was able to hear from others that they had similar problems. Or the exact same ones.

Okay, back to the Sims. I'm going to try and get some work done on my Dive Bar build contest tonight. Had trouble getting Late Night to run last night, so gonna try to reinstall tonight. Wish me luck.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    Tamaek wrote: »
    Wow this is cool and interesting. I'm so glad I found this community. Turns out we have a lot more in common than just an addiction to the Sims 3. It's nice to find that kind of support and camaraderie. And I know we can get through this, we just can't give up. Thanks for being there, listening and for making me feel like I'm not crazy or losing it.

It's funny that we're kind of like a support group and a bunch of addiction enablers all at once. One big mental and emotional support, Sims 3 addiction enabling group. I love it! <3:blush:<3

Especially that bold part! Many times I've thought I'd get in a madhouse for the tricks my mind plays sometimes. And then you meet people who say, no, it's alright, you're not crazy, we understand you and it all turns out to come from one origin; it being depression, anxiety, autism spectre disorders.

When you talk about it with people who haven't experienced it, they Will say that you're crazy but some people do really get you. And it's just nice to know we're also okay :)

Cheers to enabling and supporting each other xD
    pkJ66Kv.png
    And @Hoplass it's just really painful to hear a 'professional' sent you off with a 'stop whining'. Especially now that statistics show that 20% of the Dutch suffer from depression! And the same goes for young people. Being too young for a depression sadly doesn't exist. I wish it did.

When I first started my anti depressants I felt like I was fully happy for the first time in my life. I grew up in a sad situation, my parents divorced before I was even 1 year old and my mom remarried before I was even 3! And so I had a half sister before I was 4 and a half brother a month after I got 5. My dad was depressed in the time and I grew up in between these people, no one ever really payed attention to me. When my dad finally got better he got a girlfriend as well and I still didn't get attention. Leaving me feeling depressed, only to find out at 21 years old I feel unwanted. To wonder why they even had me at all. So one is never too young for depression sadly.

And I say sadly because if I could I would protect all the children in the world from such feelings. They're so innocent and never chose anything themselves :( I wish someone had made me feel wanted as a kid so I wish I can do it for all of them.
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Okay, I think I've got myself organized again. Refreshed the plan, and updated my top 5!
    Opicana wrote: »
    Okay, I think I've got myself organized again. Refreshed the plan, and updated my top 5!

I think gifting has come to a complete stop now at the moment since no simpoints are being paid out when watching ads.
    Hmm...I noticed the two I tried last night weren't working either. Hope this gets fixed soon...
    To be honest, other than the SimPoint issue it seems like the store is working better than it has in a long time here
    pkJ66Kv.png
    On the DD thread, some people are reporting ads are working. I got 5 points after playing 1.
    Opicana wrote: »
    On the DD thread, some people are reporting ads are working. I got 5 points after playing 1.

Yes you are right! The ads must have just been fixed! The first time after a week it finally works again just got 5 simpoints! I reported it yesterday to EA Support on twitter and then via official email I wonder if they finally fixed it then.

Everybody let's get back to farming points, eh! :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie: